Pharaoh Egypt Hotel

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 22% less but rated 15% lower than other 3 star hotels

• poons's Profile Photo

On the streets with the soul of 'real' Cairo

OK, it's dated and rough around the edges, but for the price and the location I can perfectly accept this place as a city base.

*Constant small maintenance jobs going on throughout the hotel during the daytime*

Beds were made fresh every day, hot shower, a bit of breakfast and friendly helpful staff made me glad I chose it.

*** WARNING - THIS IS A DRY HOTEL !!! *** now THAT was a bit of a shock initially ;o)

Located on the west of the Nile (see rough location map in photos) with supermarket, banks & ATMs, various kiosks/shops and even a KFC in the immediate vicinity.
    Not alot to do around the area (except explore the fascinating local streets if you like), but is walkable (10 mins) to the Nile for a strole (beware though crossing the main roads in Cairo is a nightmare.... I only attempted it one time - never again!).
    The Hotel staff will hail you a taxi to anywhere you want to visit or to dine at. I used this method for most of my stay, exploring many other districts of Cairo to restaurants in the evening, and also to the Museums, Pyramids etc during the day.
    On average no trip I made was above 20LE (around £3) one way, but do flag your own taxi (there is no shortage in Cairo) down on the streets I suggest - you will pay at least half of this price doing it yourself.

Unique Quality: Facilities..... 'the real deal'

140 twin/double rooms: TV, phone, minibar (empty), radio (not working).
    A bit tatty, but OK for the price. Air con. units looked dusty.

22 suites: Same, but consising of 1 twin room & 1 double room

Onas Restaurant: I only used this for breakfast (not that nice, usual Egyptian hotel fare - luke warm omlettes, fried potatoes, sausage & onion mix). I tended to stick to bread, cheese, yoghurt, juice & coffee.
    I didn't eat here in the evening, as I tend to like some wine with my dinner (and this hotel being 'dry').

Coffee shop: open most of the day & early evening for light food & drinks. Another great place for a GREAT city view.

Roof top pool & patio (open 9am til sunset): Small pool (just for plunging really) - I must say I didn't like the look of the water (seemed unfiltered to me), so didn't go in. Around 10 loungers, a few table/chair sets, snack & drinks served. GREAT city view from here though!

Room service: can't comment, didn't use.

Sauna & fitness centre: had a quick look, all looked fine - but I didn't use. Think you had to pay 25LE/day for use of the gym and or sauna/turkish bath. NOTE: separated facilities for Men and Women.

Shop: Tiny little shop with the usual trinkets/postcards. Well overpriced though.

Laundry & dry cleaning: didn't use.

King Tut's Cafe: never found this place open during my stay.

Internet cafe: 10 PCs available. Cost: 10LE/hour. Get tickets @ Reception.

Transportation: $30 one-way for an assist (help getting Visa) & transport to the Hotel from Cairo Airport.

• freddie18's Profile Photo

Just Right for the Money I paid....

Nothing special at Pharaoh Egypt Hotel other than it is cheaper than any other hotel in Cairo.

The room just good enough for 3 persons and the bedsheets and pillows are changed everyday.
    There is a small swimming pool at the rooftop, a gym or health club, and King Tut Restaurant opposite the swimming pool. Staff are above average as to their personality and customer service.

Breakfast is included in the room rate although it is the same everyday. Not much choices.

Unique Quality: Big lobby and sitting area.

• definitely not a four star

This hotel is supposed to be a 4 star - I would describe it as a 1 star. Built and outfitted in the 1950's it has never been refurbished or updated. We changed rooms 4 times - due to the bathrooms being so dirty. Showers needed sealer as the water just leaked out onto the floor. We were the only ones in the dining room for dinner and breakfast. The food was mediocre. There was an ancient toaster - why it was there I don't know because there was no bread to toast. No fruit at all in spite of it being sold everywhere on the streets. No tea or coffee making facility in the room. We woud have moved but only there for 3 days and we were out all day so we put up with it. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.
    The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Directions: Get a taxi to take you there

Comments