Richmond

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Cairo

The Lady with red scarf asked me, How Many Wives?The Lady with red scarf asked me, How Many Wives?

Interior of Mohammed Ali Mosque - Dec 07Interior of Mohammed Ali Mosque - Dec 07

Our Bus.Our Bus.

Ceiling detail - Al Rifa'i mosqueCeiling detail - Al Rifa'i mosque

spending 2 weeks in Egypt

by Doreenlim

My husband and I will be travelling first time to Egypt end Nov-Dec. We are undecided to join tour or go on our own. Any advise on the must do, must see, how to travel on our own, safety concerns...etc Appreciate any help/advise. Thks

by KakapoTheParrot

For a first visit, I'd use a tour operator. Unless you have loads of time, it will save you a lot of confusing organisation to have a local looking after you. At the main sites you really want someone to show you round and then leave you to explore on your own. We got a great deal more from our visits to the main sites because we had guides, even though I'd spent the best part of a year reading up before I went (even to the point of learning the basics of Arabic).

Safety shouldn't be a problem. The authorities take security very seriously. Their economy is so dependant on visitors that they live in fear of incidents that would keep people away. As for day to day personal security, I'd rather walk the streets of an Egyptian city than almost any in Europe.

by al2401

Hi, in 2 weeks you should be able to see a fair amount. While you can do a lot on your own in Egypt I found a small group tour ideal for my first visit. I use Peregrine Adventures - www.peregrineadventures.com - and they have a good selection of trips in Egypt.

In Cairo you must see - the Pyramids and Sphinx, the Citadel and Mohammed Ali Pasha mosque, Ahmed Ibn Tulun mosque, Coptic Cairo and the old town, Khan el Khalili bazaar, the Cairo Museum and Saqqara at least.

Luxor - Valleys of Kings, Queens and nobels/artisans, Karnak temple, Luxor temple. A hot air balloon over the Nile at dawn is fantastic.

Aswan - a side trip to Abu Simbel is a must. Philae temple, the Nubian museum, a felucca on the Nile.

A cruise on the Nile between the two cities is also worth considering. As is a visit to the Red Sea around Hurghada. Also Alexandria is a lovely place.

For safety - dress respectfully for a muslim country - no bare shoulders or short shorts (except at a seaside resort where you can wear swimsuits) and no low cut tops for ladies. Light cotton clothing is good - I wear crop pants and a loose sleeved shirt over a sleevless top.

Always drink bottled water - even for cleaning your teeth and be careful with salads unless you know how they have been washed. It is best to eat only what can be peeled or has been freshly cooked.

Always carry some toilet paper with you when you are away from your hotel - you will thank me!

For more information check out my and others tips

by Murmist

I traveled with a friend to Egypt and Jordan last year for 3 weeks. We did not use a tour group, however, we did use guides in all the cities. The other replies are correct, the guides for all the sites are very helpful and can take care of all the tipping and tickets plus they can give you the history of the sites. We had no additional safety concerns other than the usual when traveling. You will need to have lots of small money. You have to pay to use the restrooms- 1le (1 Egyptian pound). Tipping is a form of employment.

Travel Tips for Cairo

Walking

by Bryskiboy

I went by myself and as soon as I started walking around the streets I did not feel comfortable. As soon as I got out there I realised what a friendly place it is. Don't stray into the real Cairo areas unless you feel very secure. They will be surprised to see you and have a laugh thinking you are lost!!
I walked from my hotel to Cairo Museum which took 30 mins but I'm glad I did because you can really absorb the culture and what people are like. You will find some great cafes and places to eat. When I was there I saw nobody wandering around, it was very hot but still. Get out and about and try to get to places that are close by walking.

About Giza

by marimar_72

Giza used to be an individual city from Cairo,before it has become part of "Great Cairo" or as the Egyptians say(al kahira al kobrah).
It is also located at the Nile river,and it`s famous for it`s pyramids.
At Giza you will find many fancy hotels and shopping malls.
Many people think it`s the same city as Cairo,but it`s not ;-)
Giza is the Egyptian pronunciation for Jiza(Jiza is in proper Arabic pronunciation).

Get out of Cairo!

by mariocibelli

If you are staying in Cairo for more than a few days, I suggest going to Alexandria to break up the monotony of siteseeing. Sometimes, you get to the breaking point of mosques, museums and monuments and can't take any more. It is an easy train journey there, and just enough things to keep you busy for the day. Train is cheap in 2nd class 50 Pounds RT, with arctic AC!

Egyptians love children

by paradisedreamer

Travelling in Egypt with children is very easy. All Egyptians love children and they are welcome everywhere. Our daughter was overwhelmed by all the attention she got and all the little presents (and no, not con to get us to buy things, people truly are generous!)

Sheesha Smoking

by emoja

Sheesha is a water pipe used for smoking flavored tobacco. The most popular flavor is Apple, although we also had Mint and Molasses. Sheesha is much, much lighter than a cigarette, and it also contains none of the additives of cigarettes. Don't be afraid to try it, it's a very big part of Egyptian culture.

All Egyptian men smoke sheesha, but it's rare to see women smoking. If you're a woman and want to partake, only do so in touristy areas where there are a lot of other foreigners around. In Cairo, there are plenty of women smoking at the Nile Hilton outdoor restaurant. In Luxor, you find them at restaurants along the Nile and at Tut Restaurant outside of Karnak Temple.

Sheesha is very cheap - it shouldn't cost more than a few Egyptian pounds to have one round of sheesha. If you would like to purchase a sheesha pipe for yourself, don't pay anything over 120LE. I've heard that you can get them for as cheap as 10LE, but as a tourist this is doubtful. Make sure you have someone show you how to set the pipe up with tobacco and coal, it's not as simple as it looks.

Comments