Emtedad Makram Obeid Street, Cairo, 11737, Egypt
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Travelocity

More about Cairo

a woman sitting outside to catch some suna woman sitting outside to catch some sun

People buying Tea & Breakfast.People buying Tea & Breakfast.

Sana, the beautiful hostess at Hotel Pyramid HorizSana, the beautiful hostess at Hotel Pyramid Horiz

Ladies' prayer room - Turkish Merchant's houseLadies' prayer room - Turkish Merchant's house

tipping-gifts

by PatNM

My last trip to Egypt was in 1995. At that time frequently when I purchased something they would give me a little trinket, like a blue carved scarab beetle. Then they'd say "I gave you a gift now you give me one". They seemed to be especially fond of ball point pens, usually ones with advertising on them.
I'm going again in March, and wonder what the popular "gimmme" is now??? I'd like to be prepare!!!!!

by ruffled

hullo! i was waiting to read replies to your question, but looks like no takers yet. I was wondering the exact same thing as well... I wouldnt want to give people something they have no use for or have tonnes of, altho i keep hearing "bring pens to give away"...

i patiently await a response... and happy planning for your trip! :)

by ourluxor

I see that you've posted this in the Cairo forum, but I'm in Luxor so can only really tell you what I know about this aspect in the place where I live.
Pens are still a good gift, and not only for children but for adults too. When handing over a pen say, "Each time you use this pen, you will think of me." It's perfectly true!

by vdoortje

Yeah!!! Pens will be OK!! They love it! I am collecting them for my next trip to Egypt. Better than sweets! For the kids also small colour books, crayons etc.

by uglyscot

Coming from the Sudan, we always take hibiscus tea [kerkadeh] and roasted peanuts.

Travel Tips for Cairo

When it comes to money.

by angelsmom13

Operate like your in a casino.Make things perfectly clear.When I was at the airport I got my entry visa,then I went to get my US dollars exchanged for egyptian pounds.I gave the teller 200 usd.It was not till later that I noticed he cheated me.I later looked at the receipt he gave me,and he recorded it as 100 usd.Im sure he pocketed it. Also when you negotiate anything write it on a piece of paper,then if anyone tries to change the deal you can show them the paper and hopefuly they will stick to the agreed deal. For example if you deal for a cab write how much and for how many people and show it to the driver.

The secret behind real and "false" Papyrus...

by SwedishViking

If you are a visitor to Cairo, you will for sure be offered to buy some Papyrus.
The Papyrus that sells in the markets and souvenir shops are all fake. Real Papyrus is made from the grass "Cyperus papyrus". Straws from the grass are soaked in water for six days and then the straws are arranged in lines to form a sheet of paper. Then the straws are being pressed together for six more days to become a sheet of Papyrus paper. The false Papyrus leafs are made from banana leafs instead.

The easiest way to check if the Papyrus is fake or not is to crumble up the paper in your hand.
If it breaks - it's fake!

budgeting

by TheLongTone

Favorite thing? Budgeting is a task?
What are your needs and expectations?
All amounts in Egyptian pounds (LE) unless stated. 2007/8 prices.

The necessities: food and drink.
Eating like an Egyptian with a proper income, you can lunch well for 10le or less. Drinks in most Cairo cafes are cheap: maybe 1 for tea (black) i.50 for a small black coffee & the juice bars the same: or not much more.

You can get by on very little, 10 will buy you a good lunch.

Taxis I avoid like the plague. How long is a piece of string. 5-10 for most trips within the main Cairo area.

And there's your events & entertainments. Museums are 10 LE upwards,

And being Egypt, there is baksheesh.

More important is the kind of money you want to carry and where you carry it. Accumulating enough small denominations so you have 1 le notes for small baksheesh and some fives/tens so you can give taxi drivers the money you want them to have as opposed to the money they want.

I'd go out with fifty, and could well get back to my hotel in the evening with change, having dined well.

See the pyramids, see the fake...

by Nygge

See the pyramids, see the fake that every travel agency make about those pyramids. Its easy to imagine these monuments to be out in the desserts, but they aren´t, couse cairo grows so fast as a city that the pyramids soon will be in the middle of the city.. A funny story our guide told us, as we enered the bus she started to count so everyone was present, she had to do so couse there was a coupple once that was on one of this guided tours, and when the tour was over the guide asked in the buss if someone was missing someone, there where no answer so the bus took off. After a while the guide suddenly rememberd a man that was missing, so she asked the lady sitting alone:
- wasnt there a man sitting next to you?
- yes there was, answered the lady
- But i asked if someone was missing someone, why didnt you say he was missing?
- Well maybe you miss him but i dont, said the lady!
The coupple had have an fight earlier the day, so the man had to take a taxi for 500 km.
Efter that the guide always counted the passanger...
and this is a true story..

Respect is the key

by Guzzie19

How would you feel if somebody come to your country and do not respect it? I think that's the proper way to think while getting dressed in Egypt.

Even though Egyptians sometimes do not wear their traditional dress, they do dress moderate. You can travel with:

*3/4 sleeve shirts, or regular shirts (no sleeveless).
* Jeans
* Capri pants
* Long skirts or at least covering your knees.
* tennis shoes, flipflops, sandals. All your shoe wearing is ok.
* Take a light scarf with you to protect from the sun, or entering religious sites if required.

Cotton made shirts are great for the Egyptian heat. The sun is really strong.
You dont have to cover your hair to walk around in Egypt.

But why wear mini skirts, or hot pants? Tank tops showing exactly how your boobs are? Do you really need every man staring at you? We already know that you are a sexy lady, but you dont need to show that much skin in an Islamic country. As I said before, respect is the key. Egyptians like their tourist to come along, but why show off so much skin where it can be noticed as uncomfortable. If you are in a resort, then the story is different.

As a western woman, I respected my dressing when I went there. I was all ok!

Comments