Windsor Hotel

Hostelworld.com HostelBookers.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 39% less and rated 12% higher than other 3 star hotels

• shelnlin's Profile Photo

Even before I realised a Python had stayed there..

I actually didn't end up staying at the Hotel Windsor while I was there, for some reason the mossies were still lurking about but the lobby and the small eating area of the restaurant were relatively clean and tidy so I ate a meal there... Things have obviously been cleaned up alot since Michael Palin mentioned in his trip "Around the World in 80 days" because there was nothing overly spectular about this establishment while I was there except of course the plaque out the front of the Hotel with Michael's name mentioned and when he came to stay in the Hotel... The food was typically Egyptian and I remember grazing on bread, torshi (pickles) and cheese and some chickpea dish which I can not remember.. It was very simple but satisfying and we went there every now and again for a meal. As we were only staying not far from this Hotel, we did consider checking in here after the sounds of the mosque started to get a bit too much in the morning at the Victoria.. but we decided to stick it out and ended up at a similar hotel to this (I cannot remember it's name now) when the Victoria was overbooked for a few nights. This place was booked out too and was quite simply decorated compared to the Victoria Hotel that we had been accustomed to.

• Character and Characters

The Windsor Hotel is a 5-storey period piece, built in 1899 originally as a Turkish Bath, converted into a hotel in the 1920s and used as a British army officers club during the second world war; replete with character and characters and ancient wiring and plumbing.

Refurbishment is proceeding from the top floors downward (down to the third floor as of 01.07)

For more information and links, check my website:

Directions: Downtown

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo

Faded Colonial Grandeur

This hotel (built at the turn of the century) was long used as a British Colonial Officers Club and has preserved much of the atmosphere. The rooms are OK, the staff is very friendly and the breakfast (tea and toast) is exactly that little what you can eat after the unavoidable digestion upsets have hit you.

Unique Quality: The remarkable charactereistics of this place are its very central location (one Metro stop away from the Railway station and two Metro stops from the Egyptian Museum.

A hidden gem is the very stylish bar, one of the rather rare opportunities to have a beer in Cairo..

• morgane1692's Profile Photo

"Faded colonial grandeur" says it all!

Well-worn furnishings and decorations and elevator...well, they just add to the ambience and charm...yeah, that's it, ambience and charm!

More about Windsor Hotel

Wonderful Hotel Windsor

by TripAdvisor Member mowermutt

My first trip to Egypt 12 years ago I went with a tour group and for future reference NEVER bother with that nonesense! Meeting others at their hotels, the big name ones all had the same thing in common. If you were to put the Hilton, Omni and others in the U.S., Motel 6 would get better reviews. They were over-priced, not friendly staff, horrible food, etc.

On the second trip, sans, travel groupI find Hotel Windsor, call them to make reservations. They picked me up at the airport, helped through customs, gave me a side trip drive and took my bags to my room.

This is a wonderful old hotel from that was a British gentlemen's club back in it's day. It is also NOT a hotel for someone who expects a 5 star stay in N.Y. It is a very clean, quiet place, no hoopla and I had to ask them to turn on the hotwater for a long soak in the bathtub. They will go out of your way to make your stay as wonderful as possible, but they do not hover and annoy the life out of you asking non-stop, can we help you. They will assist in setting up any tours you want to take, take you any place you want to go and the food was really excellent.

Don't forget when you are in Cairo to blow off the taxi's and scarey bus. Take the subway, it will not only save you time and money but a great deal of hassle. Beats all the way around, in all my many trips, any high priced hotel in the city.

It grows on you.

by TripAdvisor Member mmaann

I knew the Windsor Hotel from my visit seven yearsago. When I decided to come back to Egypt for a shortbreak, I booked the Windsor again. Not because I particularly liked it, but more out of convenience.

I now have to admit that this second experience was most pleasant. The hotel is still a little shabby of course, but the charm and reading room/bar more than make up for the rundownness. In fact, compared with the other hotels I've expereinced in Egypt, it is quite well looked after! Also, the shabbiness of the hotel suits Cairo quite
well.

The water is hot (if you let the shower run for 5 minutes), the beds are comfortable (no bed bugs), the staff are friendly, and it has a certain amount of charm that a concrete block never will have.

Overall, this second visit was more comfortable than the first (reduced expectations?) - or maybe the hot shower felt better after a long day trip on Egyptian trains?!

Do bring earplugs though: Cairo is incredibly noisy, all the time.

I believe that no double beds are available. Check directly with the hotel.

don't rely on your booking

by TripAdvisor Member waterloomole

We booked this hotel through Expedia because of its historical interest. When we arrived, the hotel claimed not to have a record of our booking. They sent us to their 'sister' hotel, the Lotus. Do not under any circumstances go to the Lotus - it is a dump on top of a derelict building. We felt unsafe and didn't sleep at all. Have an alternative ready in case you need it. The Windsor is otherwise a great place to stay, but has the feel of having switched to a new management that doesn't really care about maintaining the place and is seeking a quick buck.

Good budget hotel, large room 50s decor, some staff not customer oriented

by TripAdvisor Member grmartineau

My partner and I stayed at the Windsor Hotel, simply because recommended by travel books and hotel has a bit of history attached to it. It is an old hotel with large rooms, two single beds, old fashion bathroom but working, furniture still from the 50s, but good location for Cairo. Entrance is on a small - but safe - side street.

Do not expect the comfort inn or ibis, otherwise you will be disappointed. Served breakfast - was ok - but if you go at Easter do not take the Easter colored egg they offer because they will charge you for it! Was I naive thinking they were trying to be nice! By the way, nice waitress working there. Her smile and manners did compensate for plain breakfast. One staff at front desk was a rude in trying to push us to get tour of Luxor - it was annoying, but otherwise ok.

I would recommend it to people who want to try something different with history attached to it. Also, hotel can provide shuttle to pick you at airport (even if arriving at night). We also booked in advance directly with hotel by credit card and had no problems.

Quirky, charming and definitely memorable

by TripAdvisor Member liese17

My husband and I have travelled through many parts of the world and stayed in all manner of hotels / guest houses ranging from extremely basic to top-class luxury. Although we have stayed in far more salubrious and dare I say it - comfortable hotels, the Windsor (where we stayed in 2004) remains the most memorable and quirkily charming for both of us. I do not think this hotel would suit everyone, but for those who like to truly experience the places they travel to and immerse themselves in a bit of history this place is a treat and a wonderful haven in central Cairo (which can be a tad bit over-whelming) The best part of the hotel is the lounge area where all the guests seem to gather in the late afternoon to enjoy a drink and share their tales. The rooms are certainly on the shabby side and we had two single beds instead of a double - but that didn't bother either of us and it seemed in keeping with the price we paid. Cleanliness was as good as anywhere we stayed in Egypt (we experienced much worse!) and we certainly had no problems with bed bugs or the like.

The Windsor Hotel -Cairo

by Angelal

""An unreal individuality" - Michael Palin"

There are much 'nicer' hotels than the Windsor Hotel in Cairo but they probably don't have as much history and character.

Michael Palin stayed here when making his documentary, ' Around the World in 80 Days' and it was also featured in the film ' Legend of the Lost Tomb'.

Until 1952 The Windsor was a British Officer club until Nasser came into power and the revolution took place. On the day in 1952 known as 'Black Saturday' Cairenes took to the street to revolt against continued British occupation and buildings across Cairo that represented 'British Rule' were attacked. One of these building was The Windsor Hotel. In the dining room there is an Oil painting with loads of holes in it. This was damaged during Black Saturday and they keep it on display as a historical reminder.

The rooms are simple but clean some are huge some are tiny. Breakfast is continental in the sense that you get a couple of bits of toast a bread roll and some cheese and jam. The bar is a great place to have a drink in the evening and they also serve reasonably priced meals.

osiris hotel and windsor hotel cairo

by johntirrell

I would like some info on these two hotels if you have first hand info I'd like to hear from you . I will be in Cairo on Dec 28 thanks johnny

by Allegraf

It"s much better to stay in downtown, where all the nightlife is. The pyramid area is not great at night.

Osiris is rather nice, it's run by a French lady who married an Egyptian guy. The location is fine, the decoration is a bit cold but they have a nice roof terrace and are quite helpful, though some friends said they were a bit pushy on selling guided tours. But it's one of the best places to stay.

I never sent any friend to the Windsor so I can't advise. The other hotel which is nice is the Victoria, an old Victorian hotel which is a bit run down but has incredible charm. It's close to the Ramses train station, a bit less convenient a location than the Osiris.

by rosegirl

i dont know osiris but avoid windsor at all costs,it is located in terrible dirty noisy street and has incredibly rude stuff.
their elevator is always broken and the place itself is smelly and disgusting!

by Cairosiss

Windsor is a wonderful old Hotel,that used to be The British officers club.
The Staff has never been anything but nice,and friendly,and the elevator has always worked on all of our stays there.
Smelly and disgusting?I wonder where Rosegirl went?
Is there a dungeon somewhere,that we don´t know about?Maby that is where they keep the rude staff?
No,really, the place has kept its interior of dark wood english pubstyle,
might look a bit rundown to some,but I´m grateful that there are gems like Windsor still to be found.
The street outside is no more noisy than any other big street in DownTown,the small street where the hotel entrance is,is nice and calm and more or less a lively,friendly outdoor cafe´.
The Restaurant in the hotel,and The Barrel Bar have good prices and nice staff!
Hope you have a nice stay!

Comments