Zamalek Residence Cairo

Hilton.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Zamalek Residence Cairo

Good value for money

by MariaK about Atlas Zamalek 4*

We stayed in Atlas Zamalek some years ago. I think it was ok for the money we gave.

Our room was huge, although it was a bit funny: when you opened the door you were finding yourself in front of a wall.

When you take a taxi, don't tell them "we are going to Zamalek" because the area is not Zamalek. Zamalek is a nearby island, very classy neibourhood - but this is not it. The area is Mohandesseen. Not that classy but ok.

Not very relevant but if you finally stay here, check on the opposite side of the road there is a great pastry shop. :) Not bad.

Look for a hotel on Zamalek,...

by DesertRat

Look for a hotel on Zamalek, an island in the Nile, where it'll be quieter and much greener than in the rest of Cairo. It's also very central. We stayed in the GOLDEN TULIP HOTEL FLAMENCO, which was very comfortable.
Rooms and suites range from US $75 -$255 according to their website. However, in the Middle East it NEVER hurts to ask for a discount! You never know... The service here was excellent. The staff truly seemed to care that we were comfortable without being obsequious about it, which can be a problem in Egypt. It's big enough that there are always taxis nearby.

Zamalek Island in the middle of Cairo

by vivianronay about Nile Zamalek Hotel

I have to disagree about the Garden City Hotel It has a famous nickname which uses a word probably not allowed on this site. It was absolutely dreadful. Stay on the island of Zamalek in the middle of the Nile in the middle of Cairo. Check any guidebook for hotels there at all price ranges. It takes more than a day by other way but air from Cairo to Petra, the most important place in Jordan to go. if you go by land, you must include either Israel or the ferry from Nuweiba to Aqaba (crossing the Red sea). There is barely enough time for you to take in Egypt, I would leave Jordan out unless you are flying to Amman and then grabbing a taxi at the airport directly to Petra. Even that taxi ride is I recall about 3 hours. You should give yourself at least 2 days for pleasant hiking around Petra. Maybe you will be lucky and meet some Bedouin there. In any case be sure to get Married to a Bedouin, a terrific book about 20th century life in Petra. Hotels on Zamalek include all price ranges. I stayed at the Nile Zamalek and it was very convenient to lots of restuarants and good for strolls int he 'hood. Lots of embassies there so a little less noisy and dirty than downtown. You do not need to be downtown in Cairo b/c that is not the most interesting part in Cairo, nor is it the heart of the city. You'll be going by foot or cab to the top spots anyway.

In fact the number of hotels...

by Kostyantyn

In fact the number of hotels in Cairo is enormously big and one can easily select something according to his wish. I used to stay at Nile Zamalek Hotel - a tiny nice place without any star on its label but offering quite acceptable level of comfort and service
~US$ 10 per night Very friendly staff.

zamalek island's hotel

by kpenbe about president hotel

President hotel is so good for who wants to stay near downtown and el-tahrir sq. (Egyption museum) Cheap and clean. Very safety place. There are a lot of consulate building around this hotel. You can find water-pipe cafe, cafe, restaurants and shopping area near this hotel.

Decent but overpriced 4 star hotel in Cairo

by Paul2001 about The Flamenco Hotel

As far as four star hotels go the Flamenco has everything that you could ask for. A very nice restaurant. Very large rooms with cable TV. Conference rooms and a couple of bars.
However I had some problems with the hotel. It was very noisy but then again Cairo is the noisest city in the world so what hotel is not. I also thought that the plumming was barely acceptable and the rooms very dark. At least they had a fridge which is always welcomed. The hotel is located in the Zamalek district of Cairo. This is a very nice residential and diplomatic section of the city. There is wide range of decent restaurants nearby and even a bar or two. The area is quite safe too.

I stayed at the Cairo...

by travelmad478

I stayed at the Cairo Marriott, in Zamalek. I'm not sure I can wholeheartedly recommend this hotel, but at least the neighborhood and the hotel's courtyard area were nice. Although multiple people familiar with the city told me that the Marriott is the best hotel in Cairo, I was underwhelmed by the run-down rooms and really poor food at the restaurants. Usually I am not the type to stick to hotel restaurants at all, but since I was traveling alone and didn't feel all that comfortable eating by myself in this city, I caved in and ate at the hotel. Big mistake. The food was terrible.
I spent about US$130 per night at this hotel. The Marriott does have a great view of the Nile and the city, and on a clear-ish day you can spot the Pyramids from the upper floors. This photo was taken out the window of the hotel. Another great feature is the hotel's courtyard, which is a great place to sit and take in 'haute Cairo' enjoying a day in the sun. It's one of those places where if you don't have a tiny cell phone and a big pair of dark sunglasses, you feel like there's something wrong with you. Still, it's very entertaining and a good way to relax for a few hours.

Best Value in Zamalak Cairo

by coconutwireless about Longchamps Botique Hotel

We stayed 5 nights n the Longchamps Hotel while vsiting Cairo. One night upon arrival and four nights when we returned to Cairo after touring the South and other areas. Really the photos don't do it justice.

Zamalek is the northern part of Gezira Island and is a great place to stay. The hotel is located in a lovely area with coffee shops, supermarkets, restaurants all within walking distance. It is quiet and a wonderful neighborhood to walk around in nd yet a short taxi ride (20 mins) from the hustle and bustle of Khan Kahaili Market. The Hotel is exceptionally clean with a very nice decor. The restaurant will fix you lunch or dinner for an extra charge. Which is a plus if you have a late train or plane to catch and you want to eat before you go.
The hotel is run by Hebba a German lady and her Front Desk manager, Mohamed is Egyptain. They can and will arrage tours, guides, train tickets (and probably much more) upon request.

Juliana Hostel

by Albetbauf about Hostel

Hi guys, You are probable doing same as I did research
where to stay in Cairo before I travel to Cairo. I just want to share my experience in Cairo.

Before I departed to Egypt on 10th December 2008 I have done lots of research where to stay, where to travel in Egypt, reading review in hostelwold, tripadviser, virturaltourist,
lonelyplanet website. I decided to not to book and chose few hostels in Cairo thinking that hostels would be available on arrival. My Egyptian friend met me in the train station
in Cairo, I explained situation then we went to see following hostels:

1.”Canadian” Hostel- very cold staff, I ask him show me room, he showed me 4 beds dorm facing to the demolished building, room was like a basement room, luck of light and air. Then he showed me twin room which was again like a basement room and very small.
for dorm he was asking 30EGP I thought its not worth it and decided to see other hostels.

2 Second choice was “Dahab” Hostel which was on top of 5-6 store of building with antique lift. My first expression was not good, staff was unwelcoming and luck of smile, hostel build on the roof of the building, badly need refurbishment.
I was told hostel is full.

3. I went to “Wake up Cairo” Hostel near by, hostel located on the 7th floor( not really recommended to take lift because lift is old) and little away from Tahrir Squire. When I enter to the hostel it was really impressive really new lavishly decorated, clean, and really friendly staff, unfortunately hostel was full.

4. Finally I come to hostel JULIANA
I would highly recommend the hostel Juliana for all travelers for a quiet and safe stay in Cairo! The hosts are really nice and new. I think this hostel is more like an own apartment, different from average other hostels. Perfect hostel for relaxing. Great, fully equipped kitchen VERY clean. This hostel is exactly what we were looking for in Cairo!
Free breakfast, towel and bedlinen, clean showers, specious room with balcony and very comfortable beds, nice common room with free Internet and free Wireless, well-equipped kitchen. Here are the reason why I rated Juliana 100%:

Staff 100%: Great staff, starting from manager Hani truly gentlemen he allowed me stay with my Egyptian friend, extremely hospitable person always welcoming, make you feel you are at home, he even drop me with his car to the bus station to cutch my bus to Dahab. Receptionist Ahmed very polite and helpful guy. Housekeeper I don’t remember her name but she was extremely hard working and sweet girl always keep my room and whole area spotless clean. She made breakfast even I was late after 11am.
I feel like my mums home:)

Location 100% :
Hostel located in Garden City just walking distance 5 min from Tahrir Squire , 7 min from Egyptian Museum, 10 min to rever Nile, 18 min , walking to Zamalek Island( crossing over bridge) and Cairo Opera. Extrieamly quite and safe area surrounded with embassies like US, Canadian, British Embassies. Whole area patrolled by lots of Police and army 24hour a day. 5 min Metro Sadat, 5 min walk to bus 609 goes to citadel,

Security 100%: Hostel located on 3rd floor of building, building itself well maintained with 24 hours security in entrance of the building. Plus the is always staff on the reception.

Cleanness 100%: Spotless clean hostel, everything new. housekeeper fantastic she changed my bad every other day, provided with free towel and bed line.

Fun 100% : Good place to meet many independent travelers, especially if you traveling alone you can join them explore together Egypt.
I hope you will enjoy your stay in Cairo

PS: please check latest availability on hostelwold.com site. I paid for dorm about 50EGP per night including breakfast.

ZamalekZamalek

Zamalek IslandZamalek Island

Zamalek areaZamalek area

Atlas Zamalek (not in Zamalek area though)Atlas Zamalek (not in Zamalek area though)

Zamalek

by dixxie

Looking for budget room (preferably for three) in Zamalek. any suggestions.

And by the way this new VT set up is yucky.

RE: RE: Zamalek

by its_a_small_world

Mayfair again, not bad. but if President hotle is within your budget, then i recommend it. and yeah, this new lay out and navigation system here is bad, and confusing. enjoy ;)

Cairo: Flamenco Hotel in Zamalek or Sheaperd hotel in down town?

by diana_renou

Iam looking for a hotel in a good area. I am afraid that Hilton and Marriot is too expensive for me. Does anyone stayed in Flamenco Hotel (Golden Tulip) or Sheaperd hotel (near the Nile river)?. Many thanks for your help!! Diana

by vdoortje

Look at www.touregypt.net! They recommend a good hotel in Zamalek that isn't that expensive. I just can't remember the name.

by diana_renou

Thanks, I know that the Longchamps hotel has good review, but they dont reply my emails. many thanks for your help!!

by vdoortje

Not replying to mails is something typicaly Egypt! Try it through the Touregypt site, preferably Jimmy Dunn, the webmaster of the site!

Good luck, Dora.

How much Cab ride from Cairo Airport to Zamalek?

by snowboarder74

Hi All,

Can anybody give me an estimate of how much a taxi ride would cost from Cairo Airport to Zamalek Area? Do they have pre-paid taxis at the airport?

We will be arriving into Cairo late at night (11:30pm), so i hope it's not too late to get a taxi from the airport.

Also, we will be in Cairo from Nov 16-18 and I would like to see if there are any other VT members who are going to be in the Cairo area the same time. I would love to hear from those members.

thanks in advance,
boarder

RE: How much Cab ride from Cairo Airport to Zamalek?

by marimar_72

hi,
a normal black and white taxi from the airport to zamalek area costs 40 egyptian pounds(no matter how many people,or how many bags,or what time it is).

yes there are many prepaid taxies at the airport,i usually use Shahd rent a car,a Mercedes Benz with an AC costs me 75 egyptian pounds,but i usually use it coz my flight always arrives mid-day and i dont want to use a normal cab with no AC(kids will suffer).otherwise i would recommand a noraml taxi since ur arriving at night and weather is cool in Nov.

best wishes.
marimar_72

by marimar_72

PS,Cairo is a city that NEVER sleeps,so 11:30pm is NOT late at all!

by snowboarder74

Thanks for the reply. That really helps to know as the Marriott in Zamalek quoted us US$40 for the airport pickup. And I had a very tough time accepting that as a normal rate from the airport to Zamalek. We will just use the black & White taxi at the airport.

by jngah

I paid 40LE to Zamalek at 2am once. Going to the airport as you may know, will be less, say ~25LE.

btw, are you a snowboarder? used to be addicted to it (tahoe, colorado etc.). now living in Zamalek. drop a line if you wanna grab a drink or sth.

Comments