Safaga Road, Abu Makhadeg Bay, Makadi Bay, Egypt

Costs 27% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Fort Arabesque Hotel

Best Holiday Ever !

by TripAdvisor Member LondonCoonster

My girfriend & I were looking for some sunshine, far away from the terrible March / April weather in the UK.

We booked the hotel through Thomson.co.uk and booked our flights separately through Expedia, as that got us the best overall price for a 10 days stay in Egypt. You can however book flights & accommodation all through Thomson, as long as you want to stay either 7 days or 14 days.

This was honestly the best holiday for us ever. The Red Sea in Egypt is stunning. We went snorkelling & swimming every single day, right on our own, soft white sandy beach, we have never seen so many beautiful fish in our lives. We also went camel riding twice, as we loved it & desert horse riding, at sunset, which is not expensive at all.

Fort Arabesque is spectacular. Such friendly people who cannot do enough for you. The spread of food is excellent, there was always so much to choose from and we never had any stomach problems at all. The staff cannot do enough for you. We started off on a ground floor room, which was fine, but we really wanted a sea view and the guys at reception then moved us to an awesome sea view room on the 4th floor, no problems at all.

The weather was stunning, 30 degrees celsius every day. The hotel is 40 mins drive in a taxi from Hurghada airport, and this cost £GBP 18 for both of us, which is nothing really.

We took the All-Inclusive option, which I highly recommend, it is only a small premium on Half-Board, but is really worth it. You can have as much food, snacks, soft drinks, bottled spring water, alcohol, crisps & ice creams as you want, all day.

I really would have no problem recommending this place to anyone. The Fort Arabesque has the best beach by far, compared to the other hotels we saw in Makadi Bay, plenty of sun loungers (which are all free by the way, to use). The hotel is great for couples & families & there is evening entertainment every night.

The people who stay there are mainly Germans, Swiss, Italians & English. They were all very polite and there was no pushing, shoving or unfriendliness.

Have no worries about having a trip to the Fort Arabesque.

One huge tip. Don't convert your £ GBP to EGP at Heathrow. Travelex gave us a low rate of 9.5 to 1 as well as took fees and commission, whereas the Fort Arabesque reception will buy as many £ GBP as you want to exchange, at a rate of 10.5 to 1 & take not a single penny in fees or commission !!

Enjoy...............

Really pleasant holiday

by TripAdvisor Member travelrig

We had a really relaxing stay at the Fort Arabesque.

Rooms: Huge! Two double beds for some reason, but no problem there, TV pretty good (nice to relax watching a film now and then), minibar only stocked with two mineral waters and two pepsis which was a bit poor, great shower and reasonable bathroom. We were on the bottom floor, so we had a pleasant terrace, although it was a little gloomy.

AI board: Brilliant! The breakfast was great, good variety, plenty of stuff and for an egyptian breakfast this was 10*. Lunch was good with plenty of choice, lathough similiar choices each day. Spaghetti chef was excellent. Dinner was relatively similiar each day but with a massive amount of choice and you never went hungry. Snacks were available from the beach most of the day (not that you needed them) as well as ice-creams, beer, wine etc. Drinks were amazing, just go up to the fridge and help yourself to Coke, 7up etc in cans, bottles of Sakara Gold - lovely. The main bar was also on all inclusive for beers, wines and local spirits.

Beach, gardens and pool: All amazing, clean, attractive and well cared for. The pool is brilliant and shaped like a series of rivers. The beach has soft sand, plenty of sunbeds (although get there early 9.00am latest), never far from the beach bar for snacks and drinks. The best bit being the spectacular coral reefs that you can walk to from the waters edge. Shallow, medium and reefs at the edge of the shelf cater for all. They run right aorund the bay with plenty of fish - watch out for the 7ft moray eels..

Overall a really pleasant stay, not much in the way of nightlife, just a bar to relax in, bit of guitar music and you can always walk to one of the other hotels for a change of scene. Gardens are beautiful, only negatives are that the rooms and terrace could do with a spruce up, add another bar or two for variety and could do with adding a few indian, egyptian, mexican nights to add a bit more to the food options.

For a realxing break for snorkellers, who like a few drinks in the evening, want a high quality hotel without breaking the bank - you cannot beat it!

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member tattersp

We stayed at Fort Arabesque from the 18th July to 25th. Customs was very slow but the bags were ready for us when we got through and the coach journey was about 30 mins.

Check in was very good and they had provided a simple plate of food each in our rooms as we arrived after the restaurant closed. The room was the best we had stayed in with a fantastic view of the sea and beautiful gardens below.

There were no themed restaurants but the food was excellent and varied. It is very heavily populated with Italians so food is very Italian but still very good. While we were there we did not see or experience any bias to the Italians with the exception of the evening entertainment being in Italian. We did not go so could not comment on how good it was.

The most unusual thing I have ever seen, was the nice but small pools had only about 20 sun beds around them and very few people ever used them. Everybody used the beach beds, but you could always find an empty one. They are very spaciously spread out and the beach is very long, especially compared to all the other hotels.

The marine life is great just off the beach. Huge variety of fish to see. I do feel the hotel should protect this more by putting in pontoons as we saw lots of people walking on the corral and breaking it.

There is not a lot for teenagers to do unless they speak Italian or venture into the other hotels, which is not allowed.

Now the only issue that we had while we were there was on the last day. We were not told about the all inclusive coming to an end at 12:00 on your last day. So if you are leaving later than this you can not have a drink (even water) after without paying for it. If you do the staff are on you like a shot. We were not told of this and felt like criminals when the staff asked for payment. If you want (and we did) you can pay an extra 5 Euros to extend your all inclusive for the remainder of the day. Shame the tour company did not see fit to let us know all inclusive was for only 6.5 days not 7.

We were told that there are no courtesy rooms to change in so we extended our room till 17:00 only to find out that other guests had got one for free. So worth confirming this.

Saying all of the above I would thoroughly recommend the hotel to anyone with the possible exception of families with teenagers. Great holiday, just get the facts first.

Fantastic choice of hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ldf1978

We stayed at the fort arabesque from the 6th to the 20th June this year.
We booked the holiday with Thomson holidays and really enjoyed our time there.
The flights were actually with first choice, and to be honest were pretty bad both there and back, as the flight crew seemed to have no idea what they were doing, we found this hard to believe as we have flown with the same airline on several trips and have always had excellent flights. Also, as a previous reviewer has stated, please be aware of the 'excess baggage' policy at Hurghada airport, it is absolutely ridiculous. When we flew out of Gatwick, we had approx 36kg of luggage between the two of us. We left almost all toilitries, some clothes, shoes books etc at the hotel, and did not buy anything to bring home, yet we were charged £30 (GBP) for 4kg excess baggage as our weight had increased to 44kg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (£7.50 per Kg).
Nearly all people checking in for both Gatwick and Manchester flights were charged, they were even trying to charge customers who had the platinum 25kg allowence and their cases were 22kg!! This is an absolute con and I did complain to the airline staff and will certainly be writing to thomson!

Anyway, the hotel:
Fantastic location, for a quiet and relaxing holiday. The beaches are amazing and the corals are literally on the shore. The snorkelling was out of this world and there were plenty of sunbeds, with lots of space inbetween, all the other hotels were elbow to elbow with very small beaches. The only downside was in our second week, as the hotel became busier, the Italians were snapping up the sunbeds on the beach very early and you needed to be down there with your towel before 8am, although there was always room around the pools at the hotel which were nearly always empty.

The rooms were a generous size, with twin queensize beds, tv with about 5 english channels, and as we were on the ground floor we had a terrace by the pool which was nice. The room was cleaned every day and the maid (Achmed) seemed to be cleaning 24 hours a day! rooms also have a minibar with soft drinks which is free and a hairdryer, there are no baths in the standard rooms, only showers, but very good ones at that and plenty of hot water.

The food was fantastic, I am vegetarian and I always found a good choice, and if not, there was the pasta station which was amazing. My hubby enjoyed the freshley made crepes for breakfast, as well as the omlettes, fried eggs or scrambled which are cooked for you. The waiters in the restaurant were always quick to find us a table, as peak meal times can be busy. The SAGA restaurant is less busy, but I felt they did not have as much choice of food as the main restaurant so we only ate there once.

The entertainment is poor, but made us laugh, the animation team are Italian, but very friendly and always said hello. The singer in the terrace bar is pretty appauling, but we passed the time by playing name that tune to every english song that he managed to murder using the Italian language!!
We went to the beach bar on our last night and the duo there and music was much better, wished we had started going there sooner, although to be honest, we were tired by 10pm and most other people said the same too.

I made use of the laundry service and it cost me £3 for 5 items, which I felt was fantastic value. I also paid for two massages, full body (female masseurs as well as male so you can choose) 60 mins cost approx £22, well worth the money.

My husband did fall ill with a stomach bug on the third day, as did others, 3 british people at least that we knew about. He visited the docter 3 times and had an injection plus eight different medications, all for the sum of £20, bargain!!! as you would pay more than that for 3 items on prescription at home! It did take him about 3-4 days to recover completely so we had to rearrange some trips we booked but it didn't ruin the holiday completely. We do not believe the bug to be food related, just air bourne maybe, but believe me, see the doctor, as immodium will not help.

Despite the mishaps, we still had an amazing holiday, and as the price was such good value we will definately be returning in the near future.

Great hotel, superb location

by TripAdvisor Member Garyorient

If you look at my other reviews, you will see that:-
a) I am a travel agent and
b) I am not always effusive about the hotel (look at my last Dom. Rep review)

FLIGHTS/CHECK-IN
Efficiency at Gatwick was absolutely superb. No queue at check in, and speedy in the extreme. Flightt out (First Choice) was relatively pain free, but I do think that maybe one soft drink as part of your package, before you have to open your wallet would be appreciated. Hurghada airport, at least on journey out was a scene of semi-organised chaos, and we picked up our transfer with minimal hassle and sped off to the hotel. (I will go into the return journey later)

HOTEL CHECK-IN
Speedy and efficient. We had booked a suite, and were incredibly impressed when we got to our room. The bathroom was huge (the bath would have nearly fitted a football team in it). Walk in shower twin sinks, altogether superb. Bedroom was masive with huge flat screen TV and plenty of wardrobe space. Living room had three piece suite, and another slightly smaller TV with mini-bar. Balcony was very large and L-shaped with a great view of Makadi Bay.

As we had arrived in the evening, we had a cold plate waiting for us in our room which was mich appreciated.

One thing that impressed me, was, that although I am often happy and willing to tip the people who work in the hotel, unlike previous trips to Egypt, once in the hotel, I felt no pressure whatsoever to tip, which made a nice change.

HOTEL SETTING/GROUNDS/RESTAURANTS
Woke up the following morning and et out to explore. Restaurant was fine with indoor air-conned non-smoking area as well as out door and smoking areas. The selection for breakfast was fine and the food on the hot plates was kept hot and fresh (which is not always the case at every hotel)

After breakfast we explored the pool area which is vast, clean and has sufficient sunbeds to cater for all. The beach was our next port of call, and this is what really made the holiday for me. Safe, clean and shallow with fabulous coral and awesome sea-life within yards of the beach. It was probably one of the best beaches I have ever been on for a holiday, and both the beach and the sea was not over-crowded........PURE BLISS

Lunch and evening meals were both excellent (buffet style) but, as we got further into the holiday they became more of a pleasure, as the staff got to know us and every day we would swap jokes with them. The restuarant manager Mohammed was a great guy, and offered me many incentives to let my wife stay with him for ever. However tempting this was, I resisted. This by-play and interaction did not happen straight away, but clearly they have to learn their boundaries with each guest and to know how far to take jokes. As for myself and my wife, we go on holiday simply to enjoy ourselves and have a laugh, and we enjoyed the interaction. If you want to be left alone, then they will do so.

BARS/EVENING ENTERTAINMENT
Essenitally, after a day of doing very little, surprisingly we found ourselves really tired at night, and the beach bar or the Red Rocks in the hotel were fine for just sitting and having a quiet drink. We did not go to any of the hotel entertainments (I'll go into the reasons later)

GENERAL ATMOSPHERE
The one thing I will say here, is that I have never ever been to a resort type hotel with as many repeat visitors. It is easy to see why. Setting was ideal, staff excellent and the guests were in general very pleasant and friendly. On the subject of guests. This is an Italian owned hotel, and I would say there were about 60% Italian guests, 25% German and 15% British. I was told that the owners have made a policy decision to not offer this hotel the Russian clientele which seems to have invaded the Red Sea resorts. This, I feel is a huge plus for the hotel, and without appearing xenophobic, having walked down to the next hotel (The Sunrise) which is about 60% Russian occupancy, I hope that they continue to keep this policy, as I think it keeps the hotel a bit quieter, without the pushing and shoving, especially at meal times and at the beach which appears to have become endemic in the hotels where the Russian contingent is larger.

GENERAL VIEWS
People have commented elsewhere that the entertainment is predominently Italian, and this is true, however, where I would disagree with other reviewers, is that the Italian animation people all speak English, and if you make an attempt to talk to, and inter-react with them, they will reciprocate. Perhaps they feel that the English want to be left alone, which is why they tend to be reticent in making the first move and approach. We found them most friendly.

RETURN FLIGHT/HURGHADA AIRPORT
As unpleasant and nasty an airport as I have ever been in in my life. Bearing in mind that I am a travel agent, and I know about things like EXCESS BAGGAGE, we had weighed in at Gatwick at just under 40kg. On our return we had bought 400 cigarettes, and a small cat statue, but we had unloaded about 80% of our toiletries, and I had left 6 paper back books at the hotel. Mysteriously our baggage weighed in at 43.9kg and consequently we were charged £22.50 excess baggage. I know this happened to others on our flight, and whether they actually bother to write to Thomson about this or not, is another matter. I know that I will. I am not saying that Hurghada airport check in is dodgy, but.................. don't say you weren't warned.

Once through their check in their "Duty free" area is nothing more than a glorified bazaar with plenty of moody Burberry, Dolce Gabanna etc etc . It astounds me that an international airport can permit fake designer stuff to be sold within their juristiction. The food at the airport was dire and expensive. Make sure you are adequately re-fuelled before getting to the airport, as you certainly won't want to spend any money getting food there.

IN CONCLUSION
All the things that were really important to me were perfect. The only group of people that I would not recommend this hotel to is a singles group looking for a loud noisy partying type holiday. Anyone else will love Fort Arabesque and have a great time.

Don't miss out going in the sea, you will see so many different types of sea-life, moray eels, rays, lion fish and an array of the most vivid and beautiful colours.

If any one has any questions please feel free to contact me.

Best beach in the area

by TripAdvisor Member Adamos

Once a decent room had been provided with a great sea view and the routine in the Dining room had been understood everything else was excellent.

Very courteous staff, lovely gardens/landscaping and well maintained. Good and plentiful food with a pleasant Dining area

The best aspect of the hotel, as others have mentioned and which one doesnt appreciate until you are there is the enormous beach the hotel has for its clientele. Compared to all the other hotels in the Bay it is way way the best ! Lots of space, easy access into the water, stunning snorkelling ,and free use of windsurfers etc. The Germans as ever do their towel thing which can be very annoying, but apart from that it is a great place.

A lot of the hotels in the area seem to be filled with Russians, they were not that noticeable or audible in Fort A, the majority might be either Germans or Italians and a few Brits.

Good hotel and great diving

by TripAdvisor Member Ella084

We stayed at this hotel on AI basis with Saga. Had dreaded arriving at Hurghada airport as we had experienced long queues and wait for luggage at Sharm el Sheikh the previous year. Hurghada wasn't too bad, still a bit chaotic but slightly better organized. Watch out for the guys who linger by the 'free trollies' as they try and get money out of you, as do the staff who 'clean' the toilets. Just ignore them. The airport staff chase them off, but they return as soon as the official has gone.

It's a 30 minute drive to the hotel from the airport and we were pleasantly surprised by the hotel when we arrived. It's low rise and built in the local stone, clean and tidy. Not imposing like some modern hotels, but perfectly adequate. We were in the new block which is a bit less 'swish' than the old, but we liked it.

Our room was spacious with two large double beds, fridge which contained beer, juices, pop, water and milk. Basket of fruit was provided and we completed a chitty every day as to what we wanted replacing in the fridge. All included. We also had free use of the laundry facilities. Just put our laundry into a bag, checked off the list as to what there was and it came back the next morning beautifully pressed.

Shower only bathroom which was fine by us, plenty of space and the room boy cleaned everything each day. He also fell in love with my Ipod. Towards the end of our stay we had towel sculptures on our bed with flower petals, which was pretty.

Restaurant was large and the system easy to understand. Plenty of variety and we always found something we liked. We ate a couple of times at the beach bar which is good value (you pay there) but it made a nice change from the hotel. They rang up and ordered the food from the hotel and a guy biked it down. They did a good trade in burgers and pizzas which you couldn't get in the restaurant, but we liked the seafood. At the beach bar you just help yourself to drinks out of the fridge and there is another fridge with ice lollies etc in it.

Beach was lovely, you get a card when you arrive and take it to the towel hut and they give you a large green and white striped towel. Some people held on to theirs rather than return them every day and that's fine. We found that the sunloungers with wind brakes round them were very popular and always had towels on them early - presumably people tipped the towel boy to dot that for them. We never bothered and always found somewhere to sit.

We enjoyed the walk along the bay past 2 other hotels, and as we found internet access difficult at the Fort, we used the Macardi hotel as it had an internet cafe. Other people said they are building a golf course behind the Macardi and recommended it as a nice walk, but we didn't get round to it. There's also crazy golf etc along there.

The entertainment at the Fort was ok, basic, but we enjoyed it as we indulged in the holiday spirit.

My husband is a keen scuba diver and he raved about the Crab Diving School, very professional, not too expensive and there's a house reef and they take you out in a dive boat. Not too far, about 20 minutes away and he found plenty to see. Snorkelling also very good. Recommend reef shoes and the beach is shingly.

All in all, would recommend this hotel. Staff polite and friendly, but not over the top. We are planning a return visit in October.

Great for snorkelling

by TripAdvisor Member MandyPlymouthEngland

Just got back from a wonderful week (35 degrees each day!) This is a great location for those of you who wish to snorkle but not too out of your depth. Lots of clumps of coral to explore (we saw Octopus, scorpion fish, parrot fish & a huge puffer fish etc etc. Best sandy place to enter the sea is at the bottom of the path leading from the Hot pool outside room 130 where we stayed.
We recommend the Thomsons Galaxy & Stars Dinner, exciting trip into the desert in 4x4 trucks (very bumpy but fun!) saw a mirage - climbed & ran down sand dunes & finnished of at a Beduin Camp where taught about their way of life & were served a lovely meal by the tribe before looking through the huge telescope at star formations, the moon & even saw the rings around saturn!
Coctails are not included in the All Inclusive but fruit drinks are so I would get a non alcholic fruit cocktail & a vodca & made my own! Your room mini bar is part of the All Inclusive & is filled with Juice, Water & Coke.
You can help yourself to Beer, Drinks & Ice Lollys at the Beach Bar.
Beach Sun Beds went very early - we had no problem getting a bed outside our room by the hot pool (it was like a bath) & it is only a short stroll to the beach down the path.
Hurghada Airport has loads of shops so buy your souveneirs there (much cheaper!) also there is more than one duty free shop so use the one inside the seated departure area as it is not as busy. Have a great relaxing holiday!

Lovely place.......but don't necessarily book your tours with your agent

by TripAdvisor Member Thedivingcowboys

We have just returned from a two week stay at the hotel, which we very much enjoyed, however travellers might like to consider the following tips for getting the best out of the place.....

On the plus side, the rooms were great. the staff were all very friendly and helpful and the beach (sunbeds etc) was out of this world with an excellent reef for snorkeling in warm shallow, safe water excellent for all ages.The pools were also great.

All the parents of the younger children said that the kids club was great. But I have to say that the evening entertainment was dreadful and there wasn't much to do but play cards or pool or drink in the bars where most of the Alcohol was not on the all inclusive deal and was pretty expensive.

The food was excellent, although after 2 weeks of buffet style dining, a bit monotonous.

There was a fish night at the beach bar, which was fun, but not on the all inclusive tarrif. About 12GBP per head extra. Which we thought was cheeky as in other red sea resorts which we have used, all the restaurants on the site were in the all inclusive deal.

I understand that from May 08 they will also have a BarBQ area, but that might cost extra too?

The bar snacks (other than croissants left over from breakfast) were also extra - not all inclusive as it says in the brochure. Pizzas 3GBP chips 1GBP etc. Not too pricey but over 2 weeks it mounts up!

Another thing we very much enjoyed was the riding in the desert which went from the end of the beach towards the Makhadi hotel. As experienced riders we were given some very fast, but very safe Arab horses to ride and our guide let us gallop along the beaches and dunes as we pleased. At 20GBP for 2 hours, well worth it . We went 4 times. This wasn't in the brochure but maybe it should be?

On the downside.......

We booked the hotel for the diving and because the Thomson brochure said there was sailing from the beach.

However when we went to the welcome meeting the thomson rep told us that they didn't recommend the dive school on the beach and that we would be better off going with one that they recommended in Hurghada. We took their word for it and booked 3 days diving with them. They didn't tell us that, with all the stops for people at the various hotels on the way and then on the way back, we would end up spending 3 hours a day in a minibus in the swelterring heat! Which was a waste of a lot of our valuable time. We also had mix ups on what days they were supposed to pick us up and ended up getting up at 5.00 am for no reason, as they failed to arrive for us on one day!

The second week we decided to ignore Thompson and go to the school on the beach in front of the hotel. There, we bumped into a guy who we had dived with in Marsa Alaam (also an excellent resort for diving) 2 years ago who reassured us that these people were fine (PADI certificated etc) and we went with them for 3 days and a night-dive all of which were better than the ones from the week before, and even provided lunch on the Mahatmea (can't remember how to spell this!) island which would normally be a seperate excersion.

It turned out that Thompson wouldn't recommend the school on the beach because they didn't get a commission from them!
So don't book your diving with the tour rep! It is more expensive and you have to travel miles to it.

As for the sailing, this was very dissappointing.

One small catamoran which went out giving rides for about ten minutes four or five times a day. if you weren't down there by 9.40 a.m. to book your space (and be one of the lucky 20 people each day) you didn't get on! So don't bother with this hotel if you are looking to do any sailing.

Also the excersions we did do and pay for through the rep were at lousy exchange rates. having just got my credit card bill, I have been stung for an extra £30 against the costs that Thompson quoted for them in GB£s whilst we were out there. That is fraudulent and should be stopped. So next time we will take a lot more local currency so we don't get ripped off by the travel company.

In conclusion....

A great hotel in a great location, but don't go there if you are after sailing, you will be dissappointed. Watch the terms of your 'all inclusive' deal, it might not be all that generous.Also before you book any tours through your travel agent, shop around and see what is on offer from the locals, (although be sure your insurance covers you) You will get it cheaper, better and won't have to spend half your holiday in a buss!

Almost Heaven

by TripAdvisor Member JennyHastings

This place is absolutely fab.

The hotel is beautiful and the grounds are stunning.. The beach is georgeous. Really long and the umbrellas are spaced so that you are not on top of the next person. Can always get a sunbed down there, we arrived after 10 every day and always found spaces. The end of the beach towards the dive centre we found best as there was always a bit of breeze down there which was wonderful. There are fish all over the place and you only have to walk a couple of steps into the water to be surrounded. Unfortunately there are rocks that come to the waters edge all along the beach with only a few places to get into the water avoiding the rocks so perhaps not an ideal beach for small children to play without constant attention. The rocks are quite smoothe and the hotel shop sells really smashing beach shoes for about £6.50 with these on you can walk across the rocks quite easily.

Food plentiful and quite varied although I found it getting a bit "samey" by the end of a fortnight. Try the omelettes at breakfast, they are prepared in front of you with fillings of your chooice and are really wonderful. The omelette chef will also fry eggs if you ask him. The menu is definitely prepared with the Italians in mind and there are always pasta dishes in abundance which is ok by me but if you dont like pasta or rice you could struggle a bit.

Do make use of the laundry service. We came back with mostly clean clothes courtesy of the laundry. Linen trousers washed and beautifully pressed for about 60p and shirts about 50p. Just fill in the laundry slip, put it all in the bag provided and leave it on the bed and it comes back the next day. Well worth the expense to save a mountain of ironing when we got home.

The only thing I can really fault this place on is the preferential treatment that the Italians seem to get. They get pink armbands and all other nationalities get blue !!! Had to throw a bit of a wobbler at reception one evening as we went in for dinner at about 8.15 only to be told that the restaurant was full. There were actually 26 places available, 1 group of 10 and 2 groups of 8. The tables all had bottles of water on and were "reserved for Italian groups". I went up to reception and complained and a guy came down and sorted it out for me so that we got a table. When we left the restaurant about 30 minutes later the Italians still had not arrived. It seems that the staff will keep the tables all evening if necessary which seems ridiculous when the place is really busy. Suspect "backsheesh" has something to do with it. Spoke to the Thompson rep, Gordon and he was quite helpful he had a word with someone about it when I complained to him. Suffice it to say that my husband and I were always given a table after that even if it meant reserved tables had to be split up.

The other disappointment was that the animation team speak only Italian so the childrens club and the nightly shows in the arena are a bit useless for any other nationality. There is someone who sounds like they are strangling a cat to music in the lobby bar most evenings. We went to the beach bar each evening where there are a couple of Egyptian lads singing. They have a large repertiore of songs of various genres and eras and if there is a particular song you like and they dont know it they will find it on the internet and learn it for the following evening. We had some great evenings down there. The singers love it when people get up and dance and they are quite happy to let anyone have a go at singing. We had a couple of evenings when everyone was up and dancing to some of the Arabic songs they sing which was great fun.

Comments