Asmara Hotels

Our Members Say

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Africa Pension: The venerable Africa Pension

Africa Pension is a former villa with colonial charm and a beautiful garden. Build in the 20's, the Africa Pension was used as a High Court during the period of Ethiopian occupation. During the last 20 years before liberation, it was used as a bar and by the Ethiopian Navy.
It is located in a silent area of Asmara, 2 minutes walk from Harnet Avenue.

I don't think Africa Pension deserves the reputation it has. The hotelroom I looked at had no bathroom. You could use a shared toalet and bathroom in the corridor. The price for a duble room is about 250 Nakfa.

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Architecture, Backpacking

Africa Pension, Asmara

Ambassador Hotel: Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel is located in the middle of Harnet avenue, the best position in the city. It's a tall hotel with great view over the city.

I did not stay at this hotel, but I was there and spoke with the reception. I wanted to take some photos from the roof on the hotel, and the reception called the hotel manager for permission. Since the elevator was under repair I had to use the stairs. The manager followed me all the way up to the roof. The view was great, and I took a lot of photos and filmed with my video camera (see video tab for this film).

The hotel is old and need some rehabilitation. But the price is good. The price is 340 Nakfa for a singel room. And the mangager even told me I could get a double room with view to Harnet avenue for the same price. That is only 12 USD! But since I already stayed at another Hotel, and the bill was prepaid, I couldn't change hotel. I recommend Ambassador Hotel.

Harnet Avenue no. 38,
Asmara - Eritrea
Fax +2911 126 365

• Related to: Architecture, Backpacking, Arts and Culture

Ambassador Hotel, Asmara

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Nyala Hotel: Nyala Hotel

Nyala Hotel is located in Semaetat avenue, on the way to the airport. 10 minutes walk from the city center. The price is about 17 USD for a singel room, 25 USD for double room and 30 USD for suite. Breakfast is not incl. Expect to pay more if double occupancy. I was only in the reception of the hotel and think it was a bit shabby there. And the distance to the center was too far. But the price is good.

Semaetat Avenue,
PO Box 867 - Asmara Eritrea.
Fax +2911 122 914

• Related to: Adventure Travel, Backpacking, Arts and Culture

Nyala Hotel, Asmara

Crystal Hotel Asmara: Crystal Hotel

Crystal Hotel was the hotel I stayed at during my holiday in Asmara. The hotel is located in Bihat Street, a side street of Semaetat avenue and not far from Harnet avenue. It is a new, clean, quiet and nice hotel. The staff speak good english. The breakfast is good and included in the price. (Take a look at the breakfast table in of the photos). The bedroom and the bed is big. (Take a look at one of the photos). The bathroom is small and not so nice.

My hotelbill was prepaid by somebody else. But I belive the price should be about USD 45 a night if you pay at offficial rate. Half the price if you pay in Nakfa (the local currency. But that is illegal).

Central Zone, South-East 01
Asmara, Eritrea

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Backpacking, Adventure Travel, Arts and Culture

Crystal Hotel, Asmara

• jlbradley profile photo jlbradley
  • Reviews: 2

Ambasador hotel: center of Asmara

clean comfortable rooms. I stayed in a suite (about $30.00 U.S.) the hotel is located on the main street and is very near the center of all. get a room on an upper floor to catch the breeze and avoid eccess noise. there is a bar off the lobby and it is quite busy at night very friendly staff rooms include breakfast and they do not mind bringing it to your room. The maids alltough they did not speak english were very freindly and even did my laundry without me asking. I was only to stay for fuor days but I was having such a relaxing and enjoyable time I ended up staying for ten days. I would really recomend this hotel as it is very afordable and comfortable.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Study Abroad, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written September 23, 2005

• Johannes_S profile photo Johannes_S
  • Reviews: 2

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Berhe Aiba: Nice place to start...

This hotel is very near to the airport (take the bus at the airport for 5 minutes - it cost 1 or 1,50 Nakfa).

The rooms are big and clean. Quality is ok, of course not comparable with the intercontinental, which is next to the berhe aiba. However, it's a cheap, clean, friendly and safe place to spend some nights!

Cheap: around 5 US-$
Safe: After checkingout I left my luggage at the reception --> no problem

Be aware:
1) Take a room to the back (doesn't matter, if it's a first class room or not, they are all ok). The rooms with the windows to the street are rather loud!
2) The bathroom are shared.

You will have problems with making a reservation, because they are not reacting to email and their english at the telephone is bad! I got a room wihtout a reservation.

Nice bar