Corner of Menelik II Avenue, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 28% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• iaint's Profile Photo

High end...

I didn’t feel ready to take a chance on hot water (or even running water) so based on some of the reviews I’d seen for other places, I just waved the credit card and booked here.

Expensive.

Value for money? In some ways - it has the pool, a gym, tennis courts and a variety of eating & drinking places. Even a sauna and a squash court. You won’t find that in many other places in this city.

In others, it isn’t. The rooms are tired and badly needing refurbished. Clean and functioning - don’t get me wrong - just old.

To be specific about prices, my cheapest night was $137 (inc breakfast). The most expensive - close to double that. So you’re paying top end western European prices in a place where costs are a fraction.

I did get a huge corner room, facing the sunrise.

Breakfast is a typical buffet, and excellent quality. They have some local dishes - I tried the zil zil tibs on my first morning - delicious. They price the breakfast at $17. Hmm...

The gym is great. I spent 80 minutes there on my first day, getting the flights out of my legs.

It has a nice pool - but popular with locals and expats at the weekend. They pay to come in.

The hotel has an airport shuttle - $5 each way - but only for international flights. It’s only a 10 minute trip, at least at 11pm. Apparently an ancient Lada taxi costs about the same, so...

Rooms have high speed internet (not wireless), but you have to pay.

Unique Quality: - the prices
    - the facilities
    - the Bloody Marys in the Lobby Bar (presumably tomato juice is expensive here and vodka is cheap)

Directions: City centre

• NedHopkins's Profile Photo

A Fine Hotel

Given some of the reviews, I was reluctant to stay at the Addis Hilton. A deal with American Express points overcame my misgivings.

The negative reviews are off-base. This is a fine Hilton, on a par at least with others I've stayed at in Rome, Belem, New York, San Francisco and SFO, Los Angeles and LAX, and Tokyo. (And leagues better than the Stockton, California Hilton.)

Rooms are large and well-maintained. Restaurants offer good food and service at reasonable prices; the nightly buffet in the main dining room is especially good. Room service is prompt and friendly. A small shopping arcade offers a nice variety of souvenirs as well as useful items. Along the east side of the hotel is a "supermarket" that stocks what a mom-and-pop grocery -- or a large 7-Eleven -- might in the U S.

ONE CAVEAT: I bought three postcards, addressed them, and affixed air mail stamps. I handed them to the bell captain (at his station near the registration/check-out desk). None of the three arrived at its U S destination.

Unique Quality: The large pool is flanked by four wading pools. I was up at 0500 one morning and there were already half-a-dozen swimmers in the main pool, though the temperature was a mere 9ºC (48ºF).

My room was on one of the two executive floors. That allowed me to check in on the 12th floor rather than in the lobby. It also gave me access to the executive lounge. The complimentary breakfast there was as good as any I've had anywhere: scrambled and hard-boiled eggs, bacon and sausages, bread and several kinds of rolls, cold cuts, juices, and good, rich coffee.

Directions: A short walk up Menelik II Ave from Meskel Square.

• Do Not Recommend

I can't believe Hilton has this hotel in their portfolio. I was scheduled to stay in at the hotel for six nights. The day after I arrived I immediately check out in the morning and went to the Sheraton. It was like night and day, 2-Star versus 5-Star. My rate at the Sheraton was actually less than the Hilton. I am a loyal Hilton Honors Platinum member and was very disappointed in this property. The room and hallways were dirty and depressing. The internet connection was very poor.

• georeiser's Profile Photo

The expensive fortress, Addis Ababa Hilton

Addis Ababa Hilton was the first hotel I checked after I arrived Addis Ababa. The hotel is like a fortress, and you will be scanned by x-ray each time you enter the lobby. It's safer that way, but it's also annoying. The price was USD 225 for a single room. I looked at the rooms, but I didn't like anything about this hotel.

• flynboxes's Profile Photo

A bit grungier than the Sheraton

If I had my choice I would stay at the Sheraton. It's nice but a bit more broken in than the nearby Sheraton

Unique Quality: There is an ATM that takes Western cards and there is a KLM office here with some great staff who helped me get home

• AddisLig's Profile Photo

Bland - not very exciting

I did not stay in the Hilton hotel, but went there for coffee and something to eat. The date was Sep 11 2007 - eve of the Ethiopian Mellenium. I was expecting may be traditional music in the bar, or something to show the importance of the occasion. Instead there was nothing there, could have been just any other day. Not impressed; The machiato we got was cold and the general atmosphere not that impressive. I was expecting a lot more considering the timing.

• DAO's Profile Photo

NICE BUT TOO HIGH A PRICE

The 2 best hotels in Addis are the Hilton and the Sheraton. If you have plenty of money, I would recommend staying at the Hilton. Why? Because it has a lot more character. It’s older, but has a lot going for it. Nice gardens, large open balconies, shopping, travel agents (Including Ethiopian and Kenya Airlines Offices), a permanent Coffee Ceremony in the lobby and a lot more. You can dine in 4 restaurants, 1 bar and get room service of course. Money exchange, parcel shipping, an ATM attached to world-wide networks and souvenirs can all easily to hand in the massive lobby area.

Unique Quality:
    The Hilton has 5 restaurants/dining options on site:

Jacaranda Restaurant
    Top drawer stuff with suitably high prices. Mostly European/North American menu.

Kaffa House
    This restaurant serves Ethiopian dishes. They also host barbecue and seafood nights with live music. This restaurant overlooks the ‘Gazebo Garden’ and serves breakfast as well.

Pizzeria
    Pizza made in a wood-fired brick oven.

Gazebo Bar and Restaurant
    Poolside sandwiches, drinks, but they do also have dishes like fajitas.

Lobby bar
    Bar snacks

• cilsley's Profile Photo

Addis in comfort

I have stayed in the Hilton many times and always found the place to be comfortable and the staff friendly.
    I still dislike the way that the door men check the driver on the way in ( indeed anybody black ) so I insist that I am checked as well.
    The swimming pool is fed by underground hot springs and is utterly fabulous. It must be remembered that Addis is at some altitude, the atmosphere is thinner and chances of getting sun-burnt that much greater.
    Salad Nicoise is a welcome change from pasta or injeera...and is cheap.

Unique Quality: ITher is a wonderful ( perhaps not so ) contrast if you walk up the stairs. The front view is of Addis and it looks glorious whilst therear view is of utter squalour, tin huts and poverty.
    In the morning all is clear over Addis. As soon as the town awakens though a very clearly visible pall of brown smoke hangs over the city center. You can taste this as you move around the streets.
    I always have a massage in the spa though: one of the two blind masseurs will work travel weary bones into some semblance of normality for a v modest price ( £4.00 ). I always overtip.

Directions: Unmissable and known by all...

• dutchwindmill's Profile Photo

Most cozy of the big hotels

Friendly atmosphere even if not outstanding in any respect. Lobby bar with happy hour daily from 5-7 PM great place to meet people. Big heated (steaming!) swimming pool.

Unique Quality: Good location close to the ECA headquarters. Good bars and restaurants. (Like everywhere) be on the look-out for good rates (memberships, internet offers) and you can be lodging for anything from 100 usd.

• nsbm's Profile Photo

Guilty Luxury

After travelling the historic Northern route I had returned to Addis to find a major power cut at the National Hotel. so I decided to check into the Hilton just up the road..literally.The generator was working and the place was buzzing, it looked like a local United Nations with a face of every color. The hotel itself was usual Hilton luxury nothing special there but the GUILT was felt when you knew what was just outside the door.
    The most annoying thing here were the bratty spoilt rude obnoxious insensitive children of the expats, NGOs etc, all European of course..who ordered around the staff, had their feet on the sofa...the whole superiority thing..was really to tired to bother

Unique Quality: great but expensive poolside burgers....
    The pool

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

Hilton

Not my cup of tea (I wish it was, Haha), I just passed by while walking along Menelik II avenue and saw it from the outside. Located in a peaceful governmental area, is a good choice if you go for high standard.

• yurxlnc's Profile Photo

one of the best

This is a marvellous hotel I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Everything about it was excellent from the surroundings, the room, the service... I would definitely go back, and would recommend it.

Unique Quality: Facilities, views, friendly staff all make it a great place to stay.

• Good 4 Star Hotel

Room are average for 4 star business hotel. On a big campus of its own so the setting is very nice. The lobby bar is a good place to spend time and make smalltalk. Rooms have been refurbished and are what you would expect. Staff is friendly and helpful.

Unique Quality: Hotel restaurant has rotating buffets every night and most ar good. Avoid the Chinese night if you can. The lobby has a good selection of small shops. On the ground floor is a small grocery store that is a lifesaver. You can stock up on drinks and snacks for your room without leaving the grounds.

• sebblit7's Profile Photo

Second best

I've stayed here a few times and can say that the restaurant always has great food. Other than that it's your usual African style 5 star, i.e. things just don't work sometimes and people are pretty slow to respond. Renovations have been underway for some time now but they've never affected my experience.

I used to think of it as a 2nd option to the Sheraton. But now (according to todays quotes I just got -4 Nov '05) it's a little more expensive:

Hilton Single Room US$227 (incl. 25% tax and b/fast)
    Sheraton Single Room US$215 (incl. 25% tax and b/fast)

If you're having trouble with the dialling code changes in Ethiopia goto this website where you can input the old number and it will generate the new number for you: http://www.nazret.com/converter/

Unique Quality: Great breakfast, swimming pool area with lunch service (although I ate the fish and chips and got a runny tummy) and a pretty cool steam room section. Also reccomend the traditional Ethiopian dishes on the menu in the restaurant next to reception

• Good standard quality, but fun

I stayed two weeks in this Hilton hotel, built 1969. It looked a bit old, though everything was quite modern.

Rooms are basic quality, but my friend stayed on room 1201, which is big and nice. It also includes Executive lounge services in 12th floor.

Hotel has splendid restaurants and friendly and busy (especially during happy hours) lobby bar.

Unique Quality: Very nice (and crowded during weekends) pool area. Several tenniscourts and one the best gyms (compared to Finnish) I have experienced.

Service in general is very friendly (normal in Ethiopia).

Comments