P.O. Box 40536, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Hotels.com Expedia.com Tingo.com

• Addis Ababa hotel review

Jupiter International Hotel review ( near Bole rd in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

- In thirty years of working overseas I've never written a hotel review but feel compelled to write this one. I read some good reviews on this hotel and was inspired to stay which I did for a few regretable nights. (Rooms are around a hundred US dollars)
    The Jupiter International Hotel run just off Bole Road is quite different than it's sister hotel (of the same name) near the Hilton. The quallity of stay at the Jupiter International Hotel off Bole Road astonishly poor. I don't think there is room to include everything here so I'll abbreviate my description. My first night there cigarette smoke was filtering somehow through bathroom ceiling vent..I needed to wedge a foot stool and pillow to block it from coming in the room. Teh next day construction ( circular saws/hammering) took place about 15 feet from my door.

Unique Quality: I'm not sure I would list outstanding qualites, but the restaurant is quite good and as mentioned the staff are pleasant. Good location off of Bole Road but not anywhere near worth the money...

Directions: Approximately 5 minutes from the International Airport. Situated near by, major shopping centers.

More about Jupiter International Hotel

Addis Ababa hotel review

by Midwinter about Jupiter Hotel Inernational Hotel

Jupiter International Hotel review ( near Bole rd in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

This went on into the early evening. I went to the front desk to complain and they assured me it would stop. It didn't and the room was literally vibrating. Okay, I went down and calmly asked again and the same reply. After that I used the phone and the they kept assuring me into the evening it would be gone. I explained it's reaonsble to expect construction through the daytime hours but not into the evening. I also explained that a reasonable solution might be moving me to another room which they did not want to do. The biggest complaint I have over this issue is not so much the mind bending sound, but the apathy and disinterest in making my stay more comfortable. There are some good reviews on this forum so I can only assume they have changed staff. That night I called the hotel restaurant (which I might add had good food and very pleasant service in the dining area).... my meal never arrived and I went to bed with an empty stomach. There simply was no interest in fixing this issue. as well as others. I think this is a good hotel for $50 but not $100 so travellers can make up their own minds. The beds were the hardest I've slept on in 60 countries and the pillows felt like slabs of squared off foam. ( The staff applied a softer pull on surface that had marginal effect. I was told they were going to replace the beds on a month but having been told many other things that never came to fruition I wonder. When checking out I was kept waiting over 30 minutes until they could process my bill. ( I was the only guest checking out) Again, I understand that not everything is going to always pleasant and flexibility is required when travelling anywhere...my point is when problems did arise (one after the other) the hotel's response was extremely unproffessional and apathetic. Never rude, just apathetic and entirelly disinterested. I also stayed at the Jupiter Hotel (near the Hilton) and it was fine expect agan the beds are like slabs of concrete. But it was clearly a different experience and the managment remarkably different. If you are looking to shell out a hundred dollars in Addis Ababa I would be hesitant to stay at the Jupiter International Hotel near Bole rd. Good location, good food when it comes, but the hotel is clearly out of it's league charging a $100 a night...it's a 5 dressed up an 8 may be the best way of describing this experience. There are more mishaps and senseless confusion that happned but I'll stop there and let future clients decide. The infrasrtucture looks quite inviting and most if not all of the staff are quite friendly expect the front desk which was useless and as mentioned disintersted in solving any issues. That's not to say all of the front desk staff are unpleasant...but there is some incompetence going on there and what appears to be poor/ineffective management. I don't know how they would handle someone that actually got mad which I did not at anytime...frustrated for sure, but never disrespectful. My three days there was mostly a study in how not to run a hotel other than the dining area itself. I would say if you want to stay at this hotel, you are probally fine until someting actually goes wrong or a problem arises...in some cases the issue was that people there had no idea how to solve problems and were poorly managed and trained.. I'm not sure I would list outstanding qualites, but the restaurant is quite good and as mentioned the staff are pleasant. Good location off of Bole Road but not anywhere near worth the money...

View of Addis Ababa from highlands areaView of Addis Ababa from highlands area

Tiglachin Monument, Addis AbabaTiglachin Monument, Addis Ababa

Tiglachin Monument, Addis AbabaTiglachin Monument, Addis Ababa

In the streets of Addis AbabaIn the streets of Addis Ababa

Medim Hotels

by Adeshina

I will like to know the average costs of rooms per night in medium hotels in Addis ababa and possibly their location,most espectially those with night clubs where a tourist can relax. thanks.

Re: Medim Hotels

by wenkf

I just returned from Addis Ababa after my 3 weeks of staying there. I do not know your budget but, I have only good words about "TORONTO GUEST HOUSE". I suggest you contact them and see if it's in your budget. If you plan for a long stay, let them know and I believe they will give you a good deal.

Re: Medim Hotels

by georeiser

A medium hotel at Bole road should be 40 USD a night. The street action is best on Bole road, which is only 10 minutes drive from the airport. What about Edsonatra Hotel, a quiet hotel 100m from Bole rd?
Have a nice trip
Best regards,
Georeiser

Travel Tips for Addis Ababa

Beggers

by flynboxes

You will find beggers all over the place here. If you shake your head they will leave you alone after a few minutes..they will walk between cars at stop lights when the cops are not around to shoo them off. You will see everything you can imagine and some may break your heart but giving them money will only make the problem worse...
There is a solution...Hope Enterprises on Churchill St.
You can buy meal tokens here to hand out to the local kids so they don't waste the money on something they don't need. Like the LP books says..they feed alot of hungry faces each day and this is the best way to go if you feel the need to help out.

Telephone Code Changes for Ethiopia

by sebblit7

All the numbers have changed in Ethiopia and most websites are still displaying the old numbers. If you're having trouble there's a brilliant website where you can enter the old number and the new one will be displayed. Click Here: http://www.nazret.com/converter/

Satellite Uplink in Addis

by sebblit7

Satellite feeds from Addis are possible. We even did a live from the Studio (but we needed to use cellphones as N-1 and co-ord)

Contact Mr. Ato Habta Chief technician at Ethiopian TV:
Mobile: +251911677952
Fax: +251115512686

Earth Station Ethiopia:
Tel: +251 11 155 1266
Fax: +251 11 155 3829

If you're having difficulty with dialling codes to Ethiopia goto this website where you can input the old number and it will generate the new number for you: http://www.nazret.com/converter/

Addis Ababa is located at 2400 meters

by georeiser

Addis Ababa is located at 2450 meters (8,300 feet). It's colder than other cities in Africa. The days are never too hot and the nights can be cold. When I was there in mid September I had to wear a warm jacket in the nights. It was also a heavy rain weather every afternoon. Prepare your self for more rain here than the rest of Ethiopia. The rainy season is from June through September.

The high altitude of the city may also cause some health problems with the thin air, so some be careful when walking fast around.

Comments