Riviera International Hotel

The Lion of Judah Statue, Addis AbabaThe Lion of Judah Statue, Addis Ababa

In the streets of Addis AbabaIn the streets of Addis Ababa

Internet access

by lynlyn555

I am a UK student who is travelling to Addis in October for a 10 day trip. I'm working on a dissertation for my university course and it would be very helpful to have internet access while I'm there so I don't fall behind on my work.

What is the best way to get internet as a tourist? I've heard of CDMA and that they allow rental, but it seems very complicated. Is there an easy way?

by mickybleck

There are internet cafes and some hotels offer internet services for residents and I reckon also for non-residents for a fee.

by lynlyn555

That's what I'm thinking I'll have to do, but it's hard when you need a few hours to do your work a night. I was more thinking about having a personal internet connection that I could use with my laptop, like a dongle. Is there an easy way for tourists to do this?

by sphynxxs

not really an easy way - as was mentioned above, there are a number of internet cafes which are open until late. Be warned though, the connections are usually very slow. You can buy internet time in the business centres of hotels like the Sheratorn or the Hilton - they have faster connections, but they are not exactly cheap. They do have the advantage that you can buy time and use the wifi with your own laptop. Getting a modem and mobile access is a bit complicated when you are only in the country for 10 days. Plus, I´m not sure how much of the web world you can access from there. Censorship is pretty tough in Ethiopia, most Ethiopians know ways how to get the info they want nonetheless, but if you are in the country for just 10 days, it might get less complicated to use a hotel wlan internet

by mickybleck

About the CDMA, I am not clear about the technology, but colleagues of mine living in Addis use a USB-device to get access to the internet from just anywhere. Though it might be worth buying such a device before you go to Ethiopia, and don't ask me about prices...

Will you be in Addis the whole time? Where will you stay? - Maybe only a short distance away from the hotels with WLAN (see previous post)? Have you checked with your hostel/hotel about such opportunities?

by lynlyn555

I think you have to buy a USB device in Ethiopia or rent one because using a foreign USB for the internet there would be horrifically expensive; you get charged the same as you would making an international phonecall, I believe.

I'm staying for the most part in the Rasamba Hotel in Addis, though for one or two nights I am in Ankober, so I will have to have no access for those days. I hear they do have internet in Rasamba, but not sure whether this is individual or in a business center. Anyone stayed there?

Travel Tips for Addis Ababa

NO HATS OR GUNS

by DAO

Some things just should not be equal. This sign is at the Fasika National Restaurant. They management of this fabulous eating establishment seems to only have the 2 rules. 1) No hats and 2) No guns. Fair enough. Please have a read of my Restaurant Tips for more information on this wonderful dinning experience.

Be ready for the street kids.

by RblWthACoz

If you are not too keen on passing out money to street kids - and believe me you will have plenty of opportunity to - there is something else you can do. Hope Enterprises sells books of 8 coupons that are each good for one meal at the organization. For 8 tickets, you will pay 4 birr, which is less than $0.50 U.S. My only question is how exactly does a 2 or 3 or 4 year old read this long letter on the back of the coupon. Either way I can vouch for the fact that they do feed a lot of kids there as I walked by one day and saw over 100 kids waiting around for something to eat.

Entoto Road

by SirRichard

This is another main avenue here, where you can visit the National Museum (the Lucy skeleton, Haile Selassie throne...), Holy Trinity Cathedral, The Lion Cage etc.
It goes from Arat Kilo square (Main stop for many minibuses) to the nearby Entoto Hills.

Beer

by RblWthACoz

There are actually quite a few breweries in Ethiopia. Harar might be the most popular, with Bedele running behind it (St. Georges was my least favorite). When I first tried Harar in the United States I was blown away as it had a sweet edge to it that almost mimicked a Belgian style beer! Alas though, I have no idea what has happened but, it is not like that anymore (either in the U.S. or in Ethiopia itself) and basically is just beer now.

Change back money before you leave Addis Ababa

by georeiser

Make sure to change back money before you leave Addis Ababa. The bank in the airport's departure hall in the second floor doesn't change your birr back to other currency. In that case you have to walk down to the exchange bureaus at the arrival hall in the ground floor. On your way you pass the security, who ask you why you are doing this... It is possible, but very bothersome.

Comments