B&B The Annex

B&B The Annex
Hostelworld.com

• egonwegh's Profile Photo

A home away from home

Might sound as a cliche, but B&B The Annex really is a home away from home. Small bungalow (with European owner, but run by her Ethiopian family members) enclosed by walls, with nice garden. In a quiet part of town, within walking distance of Lake Tana. Your landlady can also arrange excursions for you to the Blue Nile Falls and a private boat trip to the churches on the Zege peninsula.

• Very nice stay

We were staying there in january for 3 nights.
    Confortable house and very nice garden where we could see a lot of birds. Thanks also for the boat trip. People were very helpfull.

Unique Quality: Great garden and quite place.

• Follow-up on Landlord Nightmare

After recently voicing my opinion of my stay at B&B The Annex in Bahir Dar, the landlord continued to email me. To caution future guests, I have posted the most recent email below. As a veterinarian working in developing countries for a decade now, I have often been quite fortunate to find wonderful places to stay, and with the exception of the Annex, have always returned to stay again. Anyone who has lived or worked abroad will surely understand the importance of coming home each day to a place that feels safe, comfortable, and welcoming, as well as the overwhelming importance of offering your business to local merchants who are honest, so as to properly promote the local economy.

"Dear Dr (name deleted),
    I'm sorry that your kind review will not have effects for me as all our guests are extremly happy... It just shows you as ridiculous and infantile. You do not have the maturity and politeness that go with the title "Dr". I'm very sad for you, with such behaviour, you have certainly problems every day.
    Bye
    Laure"

• The Annex- Landlord NIGHTMARE

We stayed in the Annex for 8 weeks in the summer of 2011. I was awoken several times by rats crawling on my belongings, and there were rat feces around the house and in the bed sheets (and in the crib). There is only 1 bathroom with hot water. The second shower hot water worked twice in 2 mos. The only shower with hot water is located inside of a bedroom. Therefore, if you don't rent that bedroom, you don't have access to hot water.

Communication with the owner of the house is very difficult (a French ex-pat with an attitude). We agreed to a price to rent the entire house, but on several occasions she attempted to increase the rent and simultaneously rent other rooms in the house to other travelers....I assume as a way to increase her profit.

The garden is nice.