Ghion Hotel

Backpacking Budget Travel Road Trip
rosequartzlover1's Profile Photo

Gion campground

by written on July 8, 2013

I didn’t stay in Gion ,after read so many report of complaint about service and everything,but I walked around seeing their surrounding.From what I knew before ,it has lake side restaurant that I planed to come here to have some drinks but now hotel has put high fence that we hardly see any lake view . I also check the menu for dinner,the price wasn’t cheap at all ,so it look like I won’t be their customer then, because there are many other better places to choose.But I have some other information for someone who'd like to camp ,they have camping ground on the side of hotel.If you want to camp they will give you one of a room key to use toilet ,the camping fee will be about 100 Birr.In the camping ground of Gion hotel,I saw this truck .They are a tour gropu.I talked a bit to an English tourist .They put tent on camping ground of Gion hotel.They’ve been to Danakill depression that I wanted to go so much , but I don’t have enough time and money and because of the news about tourist murdering 1 year ago(2011) in that area ,so I chose to go some where else in the country instead..To go there we need at least 2 cars(4x4 or truck) together and most people go by tour group and very expensive .It’s very hard to find a cheap company..the cheapest one start from 500 euro per person but probably only 2-3 days.I knew from other traveler paid about 950 euro for 6 days.
In this group I saw one Japanese tourist join the group too,so I guess that this tour is a kind of company that you can book through internet and people from many places come to meet and then travel together in group.

hannette's Profile Photo

A paradise at lake Tana

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 28, 2013

I can say a lot of positive things about this hotel:
1. incredibly cheap for what you get. We paid only 300 birr for a room for 2 persons. (In fact there was even a third bed in the room).
2. paradisiac garden with palm trees, flowers and birds
3. relaxed atmosphere where you can meet locals and other travelers
4. a very easy going boss who invited us several times on a drink
5. free wifi, and a computer at your disposal at the reception
5. a perfect view on the lake
6. trips to the monasteries and to the Blue Nile Falls are organized from the Hotel
...
The rooms however are average, and are up for a renovation.
But as a budget traveller nothing to complain about.

In all: a good price-quality ratio

thelittlevoice's Profile Photo

Ghion Hotel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 8, 2008

I guess we all wanted to stay at this hotel because of the location by the lake. The room in the hotel is nothing special at all. The hot water didn't work in our bathroom. We paid 100 Birr per night for 2 persons. There is a mosquito net in the room. The food is quite alright.

Unique Quality: I thought I would mention my experience with the hotel manager. Someone told me that you can find a Land Cruiser that goes from Bahir Dar to Lalibela if you get the words out. So as soon as I got to the hotel, I was asking around. The hotel manager told us he would arrange a minibus for us and we thought that would work too. He told me to get ready at 6am on the day I wanted to leave. We were standing freezing cold from 5.45am. We waited til 7am and then we thought we would call him and ask. He said he would come out in 5 minutes....50 minutes passed by so we called again and he said he would come out in one minute. He came out and accused us of not being there at 6am. Every other staff could confirm that we were there. He called someone...maybe the minibus and then he told us that other passengers cancelled so the minibus decided not to leave at all. Shouldn't we know this like last night so we could just take a bus? He then wrote us a route that involves like 4-5 changes of bus and insisted that we would definitely get to Lalibela that day. I saw the route and thought it shouldn't work so I asked him to call Ethiopian Airlines, I thought I would just fly instead. He called and then told me that there was no flight in the afternoon and that I should go on that route he gave me. We went to the bus station to try that and as soon as we talked to one guy on the bus, he told us that it was impossible to do that route. So we asked him to call Ethiopian Airlines and he said there was actually a flight that afternoon. We immediately got out of that bus and walked to the airlines office. We got our tickets in no time. While we were waiting for the flight, we talked with a bunch of locals and they told us that the hotel manager is such a liar. He always says that he can do this and that when he can't in reality. I don't wanna accuse him of anything but I just wanna inform you guys about this so you double check everything that he has to say!

shugoey's Profile Photo

By the lake

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 8, 2006

This hotel has a perfect location by the Lake Tana. The garden is very beautiful with a lot of different flowers. The restaurant has a great view over the Lake. The rooms are a but rundown, the window in my room was broken and repaired by some plastic. The room had a hot shower and was clean. Boat trips on the Lake can be arranged by the hotel.

Unique Quality: Great location by the lake.

Directions: Close to the Lake

leonik's Profile Photo

Travelers Hangout...

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 16, 2005

Not a bad place to stay... situated by the lake, with its own jetty.
Travelers from staying in other hotels even come here to hook up with other travelers to visit the monasteries on Lake Tana or make a trip to the Blue Nile Falls...
Rooms are clean, service is good... manager is friendly, food is so-so...

Picture #4 shows my dinner (lega tibs ali cha - pieces of lamb with injera in spicy sauce) at the hotel restaurant.
Picture #5 shows the jetty just in front of the hotel... where i'd boarded my ferry to take us around the island monasteries.

sachara's Profile Photo

At the southern shore of Lake Tana

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 3, 2004

The Ghion has a wonderful location at the shore of Lake Tana. There are bungalows, rooms and a camp-site.
We had a room with verandah, looking out at the shady terrace and lake.
The hotel has a beautiful garden with flamboyant trees and flowers, nice for an early breakfast, reading a book in the shade or sitting round the campfire in the evening.

Unique Quality: Fantastic view at the lake, good and cheap food, an internetcafe and a very friendly staff.
The hotel has a landing-stage, from where the boattrips to the monasteries start.

Directions: The Ghion Hotel is in the north-west part of the town at the lakeside, just west of the ferry.

13 Photos of Ghion Hotel

Bahir Dar Travel Forum

Need advice about Bahir Dar, Ethiopia? Visit the Travel Forum for Bahir Dar and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Bahir Dar hotel reviews

Summerland Hotel
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Tana Hotel
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
B&B The Annex
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews

Explore Deeper into Bahir Dar
walking at night.... see flying car!
Walk along the lake
walk around
Walking around
Walking around
Flight to Bahir Dar
Transportation
vist laka tana and its famous monasteries
visit blue nile waterfall
delicious hotel restaurant
UP HIGH AND ON THE LAKE
Smiling bakery
Bahir Dar Hotel
First impression about Bahir Dhar
Things to Do
Tis Isat Falls (part two)
Tis Isat Falls
Things to Do
Blue Nile Outlets (part two)
Blue Nile Outlets