Bahir Dar Hotels

Our Members Say

• Sali2020 profile photo Sali2020
  • Reviews: 4

The Annex B&B: Very relaxing place

We've been staying in this place for 3 nights. It was a nice feeling not to stay in a hotel, specially with the children.
The garden is really nice and the family was kind and helpfull. Our stay was very confortable. We've taken dinner once there. The food was good (ethiopian food). We can recommand it. We appreciate that they had travel cot available.

Great garden
Family atmospher
Center

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written September 30, 2011

• lolita00 profile photo lolita00
  • Reviews: 1

B&B The Annex: B&B in Bahir Dar

We were there 3 nights. It was a nice place to stay, specialy with children as there is a big garden with a lot of flowers. The rooms are nice and it's easy to go by walk in the center.

Just being in a house. If you get up early, there is a lot of birds in the garden.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Family Travel
  • Written May 6, 2011

• Elisabcn profile photo Elisabcn
  • Reviews: 617

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ghyon Hotel

Ghyon Hotel was a very good choice. It consists of several bungalows with veranda lined up facing Lake Tana on a exuberant garden full of colourful flowers. Rooms have hot water 24h/24h with good pressure. I especially enjoyed the mosquito net of the bed because I did not have to worry about little flying brontosaurus for some nights, yay! Apart from the rooms, the hotel has a nice outdoor restaurant in the garden, where delicious fruit juices are served and a kind of bar + café with TV inside, where eventually (when you have a temperature) you can also eat. Other services offered by the hotel are laundry service, gift shop and travel agency. Actually some people go to the hotel only to book the Lake Tana excursion.

Its setting by the lake.
Its fruit juices.
We had hot water almost all the time!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written November 6, 2010

flowers in the garden

• 1W1V profile photo 1W1V
  • Reviews: 580

Enkutatash Hotel: Acceptable but you can find better around

Initially, I wanted to stay at Ghion but as all the other people choosed this hotel, I also stayed here.
It was moreless clean with a room of a decent dimension and the usual depressing bathroom. A towel is provided together with 5 gr of bodysoap.
Each room has a small veranda but nothing joyful that will make you spend hour in here !
Please note that there is no hot water and cold shower in Ehiopia are really cold despite the shining sun.
The day I had to leave (early), nobody was around to open the doors, thanks god, I found some keys and try my luck ... I was lucky and could make an escape to the bus station.
If I remember well, I payed around 60 Birr for one night.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Backpacking
  • Written February 19, 2008

My room

• AddisLig profile photo AddisLig
  • Reviews: 14

Summerland Hotel

We stayed there for two nights. Place was nice and clean and has hot water available 24 x 7. This is not a mean task in Ethiopia where water supply and Electricity are not reliable. Hotel was a bit pricy - about 320Birr for two (35 USD), reflecting the the type it is.

However, do not ask them to organise a minibus for Gondar - They promised to do that for us but 4 hours later, still has not arrived. Ethiopians are terriblly bad when it comes to respect of time, so if you are in a hurry you should try to organise it yourself as much as possible. In the above case, we ended up goint to the bus station and haggle like everyone, which is Ok if you have time.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Historical Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written October 25, 2007

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 4023

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

PAPYRUS HOTEL: THEY HAVE A POOL!

I paid a little bit more to stay at this hotel because it has a huge swimming pool. I haggled the room price down, so give it a try! The rooms are good sized and the queen sized bed had an excellent mattress. Modern flush toilets and unlimited hot water showers in the bathroom. Also satellite TV. They have a nice bar that serves snacks by the poolside. Upstairs they have a very good restaurant. I found the staff friendly and the pool was worth the extra I paid. It is a healthy walk to the lake, but when the weather is hot, you will want to get cool in the pool.

The rooms also have very good mosquito nets (pictured).

* A huge and refreshing swimming pool with a bar on the side.
* 10 minute walk to the Lake and all town amenities
* 5 minute walk to food and booze stores
* Minibuses for other towns leave from here (i.e. Gonder)
* Nice staff
* Safe, clean and quiet
* Across from the main Market
* Can organise tours, including by boat and even horse
* Airport pick-up

STAY COOL IN THE POOL !

• SirRichard profile photo SirRichard
  • Reviews: 3639

Ghion Hotel

This colonial style hotel with an amazing garden is probably the best option if you are in a budget. When I arrived at the lobby I was asked 150B (15 USD) for a single room, but as I read in a bookguide that the regular price was 50B, I said, oh no, too much for me, I give you 40. Luckily the hotel was not full and I could get a room for 45. If thay had said no, I would have been in trouble after my nice start (see warnings and dangers section).
I got a nice room in a bungalow by the garden. The garden is by the lakeside and is very pleasant. The hotel is at walking distance to the centre and there is a nice terrace for lunch, breakfast...
The organize trips to Lake Tana and Tis Abay Falls upon request. If you are alone, you can join a group.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Backpacking, Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written February 3, 2007
Tip Photo

The garden. My room at the end

• frockland profile photo frockland
  • Reviews: 585

Tana Pension: Fine Place

Tana Pension is a nice place. Its fairly clean and the place got a bar and a restaurant where every night one barrel of draft Dashen Beer is sold for 1,60 Birr / 0.5 l. Meals are about 8 Birr

A room is 20 Birr with common bath room (cold shower because the boiler is broken)
The laudry service is cheap but not cleaning underwear.

• Written August 12, 2004