Bahir Dar Hotels

Our Members Say

• SirRichard profile photo SirRichard
  • Reviews: 3639

Ghion Hotel

This colonial style hotel with an amazing garden is probably the best option if you are in a budget. When I arrived at the lobby I was asked 150B (15 USD) for a single room, but as I read in a bookguide that the regular price was 50B, I said, oh no, too much for me, I give you 40. Luckily the hotel was not full and I could get a room for 45. If thay had said no, I would have been in trouble after my nice start (see warnings and dangers section).
I got a nice room in a bungalow by the garden. The garden is by the lakeside and is very pleasant. The hotel is at walking distance to the centre and there is a nice terrace for lunch, breakfast...
The organize trips to Lake Tana and Tis Abay Falls upon request. If you are alone, you can join a group.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Backpacking, Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written February 3, 2007
Tip Photo

The garden. My room at the end

• Elisabcn profile photo Elisabcn
  • Reviews: 617

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ghyon Hotel

Ghyon Hotel was a very good choice. It consists of several bungalows with veranda lined up facing Lake Tana on a exuberant garden full of colourful flowers. Rooms have hot water 24h/24h with good pressure. I especially enjoyed the mosquito net of the bed because I did not have to worry about little flying brontosaurus for some nights, yay! Apart from the rooms, the hotel has a nice outdoor restaurant in the garden, where delicious fruit juices are served and a kind of bar + café with TV inside, where eventually (when you have a temperature) you can also eat. Other services offered by the hotel are laundry service, gift shop and travel agency. Actually some people go to the hotel only to book the Lake Tana excursion.

Its setting by the lake.
Its fruit juices.
We had hot water almost all the time!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written November 6, 2010

flowers in the garden

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3722

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

PAPYRUS HOTEL: THEY HAVE A POOL!

I paid a little bit more to stay at this hotel because it has a huge swimming pool. I haggled the room price down, so give it a try! The rooms are good sized and the queen sized bed had an excellent mattress. Modern flush toilets and unlimited hot water showers in the bathroom. Also satellite TV. They have a nice bar that serves snacks by the poolside. Upstairs they have a very good restaurant. I found the staff friendly and the pool was worth the extra I paid. It is a healthy walk to the lake, but when the weather is hot, you will want to get cool in the pool.

The rooms also have very good mosquito nets (pictured).

* A huge and refreshing swimming pool with a bar on the side.
* 10 minute walk to the Lake and all town amenities
* 5 minute walk to food and booze stores
* Minibuses for other towns leave from here (i.e. Gonder)
* Nice staff
* Safe, clean and quiet
* Across from the main Market
* Can organise tours, including by boat and even horse
* Airport pick-up
* Laundry

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Business Travel, Family Travel, Historical Travel
  • Written May 17, 2007

STAY COOL IN THE POOL !

• frockland profile photo frockland
  • Reviews: 585

Tana Pension: Fine Place

Tana Pension is a nice place. Its fairly clean and the place got a bar and a restaurant where every night one barrel of draft Dashen Beer is sold for 1,60 Birr / 0.5 l. Meals are about 8 Birr

A room is 20 Birr with common bath room (cold shower because the boiler is broken)
The laudry service is cheap but not cleaning underwear.

• Written August 12, 2004

• AddisLig profile photo AddisLig
  • Reviews: 14

Summerland Hotel

We stayed there for two nights. Place was nice and clean and has hot water available 24 x 7. This is not a mean task in Ethiopia where water supply and Electricity are not reliable. Hotel was a bit pricy - about 320Birr for two (35 USD), reflecting the the type it is.

However, do not ask them to organise a minibus for Gondar - They promised to do that for us but 4 hours later, still has not arrived. Ethiopians are terriblly bad when it comes to respect of time, so if you are in a hurry you should try to organise it yourself as much as possible. In the above case, we ended up goint to the bus station and haggle like everyone, which is Ok if you have time.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Historical Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written October 25, 2007

Ethio Star: Hotel near Tana lake

Ethio Star hotel is right on the main road.I asked for a twin room on the upper floor to be able to see the lake .The hotel itself isn’t right by the lake ,it’s about 300 metre away and we ccan walk to the lake easily .From my room I can see only small part of the lake ….better than nothing. I asked for the new building.The room was on the 4th floor and can reach only by stairway. The room is clean ,ensuite wth fan ,mosquito net ,24 hours hot shower and television.There’s small balcony that can see a bit lake view .The room fee was 550 Birr including breakfast.The second floor is restaurant with a small corridor for some drinking in the evening.
There's only 1 mosquito net hanging in the middle of the room for both bed but I didn't use at all because I felt no mosquito in the room.I just use mosquito repellent.I used the fan only before sleeping ,the temperature was very good that can sleep well.I also didn't use their thick blanket,use only 1 slim sheet. I was quite paranoia about bed bugs after read a lot about it.Their bed looked clean and bed sheet look like washed and clean.But in the morning there was few bite on my leg.I wore long trouser pyjama so it shouldn't be mosquito bite.

Ethio Star hotel.

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ethio Star: Around the Ethio Star hotel (1)

This city street is quite lively and noisy.I can hear the sound of traffic with horn blowing all the time (a bit like in India) .After long flight I wanted to take some nap but it seem to be hard to sleep though, with all these noise.. even I was on the higher floor but it didn’t help much.Then there were sound of exiting horn ,it’s the wedding caravan,crusing around the city with family and friends by cars ,mini bus and tuk tuk,leading by a pickup with a video man filming everything.uckily I can take some pictures ofthem from my corridor.There were more than one couple did the wedding today cuz it’s Sunday,so I have to give up taking a nap.They drove around the city and came to the roundabout near my hotel and turn around and round and round and horn ,horn and horn,before going to the wedding place few hundred metre away ,around the university area,probably in the big hall by the lake.

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ethio Star: Around Ethio Star hotel (2)

Finally I have to give up resting,even now feeling a little like zombie already cuz I couldn’t sleep at all on both flights inter continental and domestic flight.So lets walk around the city.First I followed the wedding team ,walk to the roundabout and I still can see them hanging around before entering the building.They made traffic jam ,so there were still some horn sound ,not from the wedding team,but from people who felt irritate of traffic cuz the team just simply stop their car in the middle of street like you can see from the picture. So other cars has to drive in the opposite side of the road then the other car has to horn too because of facing the car that drive the wrong lane…..ooow…!! what a scene..!! If you want to take picure of people anywhere,try to take quick shot.Don’t show your gesture of taking picture too long .They don’t like to be taken picture.Like this event someone may wave hand to you and say “no photo” .It's because.. we are” faranji” If local take them picture,they won't mind much.

Roundabout near hotel.

• Sali2020 profile photo Sali2020
  • Reviews: 4

The Annex B&B: Very relaxing place

We've been staying in this place for 3 nights. It was a nice feeling not to stay in a hotel, specially with the children.
The garden is really nice and the family was kind and helpfull. Our stay was very confortable. We've taken dinner once there. The food was good (ethiopian food). We can recommand it. We appreciate that they had travel cot available.

Great garden
Family atmospher
Center

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written September 30, 2011

• lolita00 profile photo lolita00
  • Reviews: 1

B&B The Annex: B&B in Bahir Dar

We were there 3 nights. It was a nice place to stay, specialy with children as there is a big garden with a lot of flowers. The rooms are nice and it's easy to go by walk in the center.

Just being in a house. If you get up early, there is a lot of birds in the garden.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Family Travel
  • Written May 6, 2011

• Albertman profile photo Albertman
  • Reviews: 1

Selam Bed and Breakfast: A sweet home to stay in Bahir Dar

It is beyond my expectation; I stayed for five nights. The host Abush, speaks English. He is so friendly and helpful .The place was real B&B. All four rooms have inside shower and toilet; you will be surprised by decoration inside and outside the house, 100% beautiful and local. The place has most of the things you need to have in your home, computer, printer, flat screen TV, and line telephone. You don’t need to go outside the house to find internet connection; they have high speed Wi-Fi.
Breakfast is delicious; I enjoyed it in the garden. I was having scrambled egg, but you can order other items too, it is served anytime when you wake up. New thing about this place is the kitchen, it is open for guests; it is unbelievable I feel like I am already in my home; I never see this kind of things anywhere else in Ethiopia. There is campfire after dinner all the times.
Abush, also arrange your tour to Tis Abay, Gonder and Lalibela on time. his number is 0923527918
I recommend this place for travels who like to stay in perfect and real BnB.
Expect the unexpected

clean, full facilities, fully furnished, friendly owner, good location, great view of green field..... best place!!!

• Related to: Family Travel, Backpacking
  • Written February 6, 2014

comfortable beds

• lotharscheer profile photo lotharscheer
  • Reviews: 805

Bahir Dar Hotel: Cheap and convenient location

If you need a cheap place to stay the Bahir Dar hotel, more a eating and drinking place, has a courtyard some decent rooms 80 Birr without and 130 with bathroom.

Near the Ghion hotel, in the street opposite the main entrance of the Ghion hotel walk 1 block and turn left, the second bigger building.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Cruise, Historical Travel
  • Written April 22, 2014

Bahir Dar

• 1W1V profile photo 1W1V
  • Reviews: 580

Enkutatash Hotel: Acceptable but you can find better around

Initially, I wanted to stay at Ghion but as all the other people choosed this hotel, I also stayed here.
It was moreless clean with a room of a decent dimension and the usual depressing bathroom. A towel is provided together with 5 gr of bodysoap.
Each room has a small veranda but nothing joyful that will make you spend hour in here !
Please note that there is no hot water and cold shower in Ehiopia are really cold despite the shining sun.
The day I had to leave (early), nobody was around to open the doors, thanks god, I found some keys and try my luck ... I was lucky and could make an escape to the bus station.
If I remember well, I payed around 60 Birr for one night.

• Related to: Backpacking