Dire Dawa Astedader Hotels

Our Members Say

• parmingeon profile photo parmingeon
  • Reviews: 1

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

African Village Hotel & Restaurant: Beautiful, affordable place in Dire Dawa

So we stayed here for the second time within two years this february and the service, the hotel-facilities and everything was consistently good. Thats why I can give my full recommendation for the "African Village". Check out other websites, the reviews are just great and they deserve it.
Only the food could be better. It's not all bad and you can eat well for a good price, but if they could match it to the quality of the room it would be perfect.

They really care for theyr customers. I didn't try it, but the website says they also look for translators, tour-guides or drivers etc. What I also didn't try was something they call "Make a foodwish" where they try to cook your favorite dish you miss from home and such. This is such a great idea and if we come again I probably will try this out.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Business Travel, Food and Dining, Budget Travel
  • Written July 17, 2013

Beautiful gardening.

• SirRichard profile photo SirRichard
  • Reviews: 3639

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Tourist Hotel

... so I started wandering in search of a cheap hotel. Soon a guide came to me and I said yes, take me to your "cheap nice hotel". It happened to be a rather decent african hotel, mainly for locals, located not far from the main road, 5 minutes from old town.
My guide bargained with the owner (who didn't speak english at all) and told me 30 Birr. Afterwards I found out that the real price was 25, but this is the way it goes with "guides".
The room was clean and big, THOUGH the toilets (ensuite) was HORRIBLE, even worse than those in Tewodros. So I just closed the door and never used it. They had water restrictions anyway...

It is a medium range hotel with a nice courtyard and gallery. Little restaurant for spaghetti and injera only.
NOISY, awafully noisy at night, as it has a disco. Expect to stay awake till 12-1.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Road Trip, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written November 9, 2006

The courtyard

• SirRichard profile photo SirRichard
  • Reviews: 3639

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Tewodros Hotel

Just out of the bus in Harar I was surrounded by guides offering me their services. As I'm not very fond of hiring guiding services (at least in the beginning) I told them I had a room in the Tewodros Hotel and headed there firmly.
In fact Tewodros was my first choice upon reading my LP guide on Harar. It is a rather popular place and the price seemed right (25Birr said the book, about 2,5 euros for a single). It is 2 buildings with 2 storeys just outside the main gate of the city walls.
When I arrived there the man in charge was chewing "chat" (a kind of local drug, leaf that people chew) so wasn't very "awake", his red eyes and lost gaze was a good signal. He showed me a single room which was a little bigger than my rucksack, WC outside, and asked me 50Birr (double than in the guide). As all other rooms were full he didn't bargain. I thought "oh, well, it's 5 bucks after all" but when I saw the toilets I quicly changed my mind!
So I went out and started to look for new accomodation...

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average