Gonder Hotels

Our Members Say

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3722

CAPRA WALIA INN

This small, budget hotel is between the Fogera and the Post Office. It looks clean and spartan. They seem to have a small restaurant/bar and have good iron bars on everything for security. Gonder is a safe little town anyway. For a few dollars more you can stay at the Fogera 50 meters away which offers better rooms and views. They have no website, but you can telephone them!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written May 10, 2007

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3722

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

FOGERA HOTEL: THE BEST HOTEL IN GONDER

This is my favourite Hotel in Ethiopia. When I arrived at the entrance I was greeted by fantastic bunches of flowers overgrowing the front gate, the gateman saluting my arrival (pictured) and a warm welcome into the large garden that is effectively their lobby. They took me to my room and explained that the table outside my nice cottage was also my table for dinner. Right in the middle of a garden overlooking flowers, birds and a small lake. Get in there! My bed was comfy, food excellent, the friendly waiter brought me dinner from the kitchen just opposite my door and I enjoyed the sunset from my chair outside my room on my own porch.

Everything is special about the Fogera. It only has 11 rooms so book in advance by telephone! The staff are great, the kitchen ladies are friendly and produce great food at low prices and you get a picturesque room at a very affordable price. Even if you do not stay here, you can eat in the centre of the Garden. You must visit as well in the daylight to see the beautiful grounds.

Facilities:
• Bar with satellite TV
• Good large bathrooms
• Good clothes storage space
• Excellent security
• Tranquil and quiet setting
• Food and drink brought to your door/table at no extra cost
• Large rooms
• Comfortable beds

A great experience. I visited during the Low Season. Telephone and book ahead!

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Family Travel, Study Abroad
  • Written May 1, 2007

DINNER ON YOUR TERRACE

Mini Fogera Pension

The Mini Fogera is one of the places I visited first, but it was full, so I had to consider other choices. It has a pleasant central patio with plants and the rooms are simple but clean. It's located in the north east, a bit far from everything, near the road that leads to Debre Berhan Selassie church.
ooms for less than 100B.
There is also a "Fogera Hotel", higher standard, not very far.

• Written February 18, 2007

The patio

Quara Hotel

As this hotel appears at the LP guide, it was my first choice when I arrived to Gonder. I took a look but it seemed to me overpriced. It is rather simple and overall OK, but 120 B (12USD) for a room seemed too much for what they were offering, so I moved away.
It has a pleasant inner patio with shady tables and there is a good travel agency at a hut in the garden. Security guardian at the main gate.

• Written February 16, 2007

The Quara Hotel

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hibrat Hotel

I came to this local hotel after checking other two (too expensive for me). I was wandering around and a guyapproached to me offering me a cheap nice hotel. I had no other choice, so I followed him to check. It happened to be a simple but clean hotel, frequented by ethiopians only, with shared bathroom and all, for 70B (7 USD) the room. Located in the center, just 7 minutes walking from the castles.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written February 16, 2007

The hotel

• kenny1971 profile photo kenny1971
  • Reviews: 2

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Circle Hotel: Backpack madness

What can I say! The circle hotel gives excellent value. Its fairly basic, but the rooms are clean, beds are comfy and the service from the staff is great. Learn some Amharic phrases before you go, you will reap the rewards with a huge smile from Tigust, the head waitress. The best time for a hot shower is about 7pm local (european) time.

The views from the bar are fantastic, as you get to see most of the city. If your thing is bird spotting you could spend your entire trip at the bar. Result!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Study Abroad
  • Written January 10, 2006

• AR76 profile photo AR76
  • Reviews: 208

SEMEN PARK HOTEL: Excuse me?What exactly is this hotel named after??

I suppose the fairly new Semen Park Hotel is meant to be named after the Simien Mountains, a great place for hikers that is located near Gonder.
But...I think they didn't run a spell check before putting the hotel name sign up...

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written January 6, 2006

Semen Park Hotel...

• frockland profile photo frockland
  • Reviews: 585

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Ethiopia: Central Place

The Hotel is like many cheapies nothing really special but the building is a pretty nice building, dating back to the 30sin Art Decor style!
The rooms are clean and large. The staff is friendly and helpful! A double room is 25 Birr. This place is not overcharging Faranjis!
The disadvantages are that there are no power plugs and the water is often cut off. Check with the hotel manager about times when water is available!
There is also a laundry cheap service available.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average