Gonder Hotels

• NedHopkins profile photo NedHopkins
  • Reviews: 428

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Lodge du Chateau: Hospitality plus

The 14 rooms of the Lodge du Chateau are set on both sides of an attractive garden courtyard. Those rooms are basic: no air conditioning (not needed) and no fan or heating (both of which would have been appreciated). Hot water is supplied by a heater next to the shower in each room; it must be turned on 30 to 45 minutes before it's needed. The beds are comfortable.

Meals are taken in a dining room that sits above the kitchen and is reached by outdoor steps. Room service is available, though I don't know why anyone would want it.

Seymoun, the owner-manager, is especially helpful. When I realized I had to cut my stay short, he tried to find a car and driver to get me back to Addis Ababa earlier than the next day's plane would. Failing that, he called Ethiopian Airlines and changed my reservation. That was fortunate, as the one plane that day was entirely full.

None of this, however, came cheap. Seymoun charged me US$150 for the room (for all three nights I'd reserved, though I stayed only one) plus $50 for my half-day guide, another $50 for his services, and $20 for the van that took me back to the airport (the taxi on the way in was $10). In short, US$270 for my 28-hour stay.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Architecture, Festivals, Seniors
  • Written February 22, 2011
Tip Photo

Courtyard (steps, center left, lead to dining area

• saraiffic profile photo saraiffic
  • Reviews: 3

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Genetics Guest House: Not the best...

We stayed in Gonder during the Timkat festival... at the last minute. The options for accommodations were rather limited because of the influx of people. There was a large transom window in the bathroom that wouldn't close, but I was able to lock the bathroom door from inside the hotel room with a key. The hotel felt fairly secure. The bedding was clean, but very worn. The lamps in the room didn't work - but they did provide a candle and matches. :) The back of the toilet was leaking, which I pointed out to the manager - but he didn't seem to think it was a problem. I did not shower at this hotel because the bathroom was pretty gross.

The staff at the hotel were friendly, but not able to do much to improve the facilities.

I am not actually sure how much this hotel cost per night, as our guide took care of the payment as part of our tour fee.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written February 8, 2010

Inside the courtyard.

• 1W1V profile photo 1W1V
  • Reviews: 580

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Belegez Pension: A great place to stay

I only stayed there one night in Jan 08 but I really enjoy the place and the nice atmosphere within the compound.
I choose the room without bathroom because the dimension of the rooms are the same w or wo bathroom. So w bath, it is a bit cramped !
If I remembrer well, I paid 70 or 80 Birr per night. If there is enough people in late afternoon, the management organise a free coffee ceremony

Location

• AddisLig profile photo AddisLig
  • Reviews: 14

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Goha Hotel: Nice Location

Stayed there for two nights and found it to be a great place to stay. The room are clean and you get hot shower for few hours in the moring and evening. I ate there for the first night, which was Ethiopian style buffet. The food was absolutely delicious. However was surprise to see the bil - 100Birr (not much at 10USD). So the next day went somewhere else.

The main attraction of this hotel is the location, sitting at a top of the hill just 2km from city centre. You get a brilliant view of the town. It also has a nice garden.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average