Lalibela Hotels

Our Members Say

• lotharscheer profile photo lotharscheer
  • Reviews: 911

Nohamin Guesthouse: Good place to stay

A nice clean guest house, water and electric power as in all the town not allwise working. At easter a room with bathroom was 250 Birr.

Very helpfull owner

• Related to: Historical Travel, Budget Travel, Architecture
  • Written May 3, 2014

Nohamin Guesthouse

• hanspeter_W. profile photo hanspeter_W.
  • Reviews: 1267

Lal Hotel: beautiful cottage hotel

well located in local style built hotel complex with beautiful view to mountain

beautiful view..nice room

• Related to: Architecture, Archeology, Historical Travel
  • Written November 24, 2012
Tip Photo

view from lal hotel room

• klassykat11 profile photo klassykat11
  • Reviews: 2

Lalibela Hotel: Lalibela Hotel- Good

The accomodations are basic and well worth the 100 birr a night. The bedding is fresh, the shower hot. The walls are a bit dirty, but the place is clean enough. It is located right next to Roha Bar and Restaurant, which is a fantastic place to catch a bite and check out some traditional song and dance. You are more than welcome to join in the fun!

The hotel is located at the bottom of the hill, which makes for an annoying trek up the hill should you want anything at the top.

There is a table with Lalibela's name at the airport, and they'll take you to the hotel for about 40 birr. Don't let the desk guy arrange your tour, or you'll end up paying more than you need to. Just book it at the tourism office halfway up the hill.

• Written June 6, 2010

• saraiffic profile photo saraiffic
  • Reviews: 3

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Alief Paradise Hotel: Clean, Light, Airy - Very Nice

The hotel was either new, or just very well taken care of. The lobby/dining room was clean and spacious. There was a small courtyard out front where you could sit and enjoy a coffee/tea/etc... We were in Lalibela during Timkat, so it was pretty chaotic in town, but the hotel was quiet and comfortable. My travel companions' kids made friends with some of the local children, and the hotel staff allowed them to play a little soccer in the back courtyard. They had a great time.

I really liked the lobby/dining area. There were windows all around, making the whole area light and airy. Also, the towels were great. I know that may be a small thing - but the towels were awesome. They were big and fluffy. The ladies working behind the bar were very sweet and helpful.

I am not positive about the price of this hotel - our guide included the hotel costs in our tour fee. I don't think it was very expensive though.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written February 8, 2010

Our room.

• boltonian profile photo boltonian
  • Reviews: 384

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Blulal Hotel: Cheap but noisey

$15 for a twin.

Rooms are pretty clean, but cold shower and water does not last all day so you can't flush toilet etc.

Great location and price. However, prepare for the noisest hotel on earth. At 5am, shouting, banging, screaming, sawing etc starts and does not stop.

We stayed in some noisey hotels in Ethiopia, seems to be part of the deal, but this was the loudest by a mile.

Also, the entry is surrounded by beggars

• Written August 2, 2008

• thelittlevoice profile photo thelittlevoice
  • Reviews: 226

Lalibela Hotel: Lalibela Hotel

When I was at the Baro Hotel in Addis Ababa looking for a night minibus to Harar, the receptionist there suggested us to stay at this hotel. We didn't really have any in our mind yet, just wanted one that has no flea.

When I got to the airport in Bahir Dar waiting for the flight to Lalibela, the airline staff was kind enough to make a call to the hotel and book a room for us including the transportation from the airport to the hotel. Arriving at the airport in Lalibela, we could see that no one from this hotel came for us but there were so many hotel vans taking people into town anyway so it wasn't a problem. The hotel manager came to greet us as soon as we arrived. They in fact sent someone to pick us up but our flight arrived too early so they missed us.

The food at the hotel was very nice. The hot water worked very well. There was no flea. We couldn't ask for anything more!

• Related to: Historical Travel
  • Written June 24, 2008

• 1W1V profile photo 1W1V
  • Reviews: 580

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ashetan Hotel: Ok hotel uptown

I stayed there 2 nights in Jan 08. The hotel room was among the best I had during my trip to Ethiopia. Nevertheless, the wall between rooms is made with local building material (understand mud and wood) and has poor insulation especially against noise. The bathroom is as usual but here they are a bit bigger than usual but there is only a water boiler for two bathroom so if you are not lucky enough to be in the room having the boiler, the flow of hot water can become a problem.
The nice garden can work adversely during the rainy season attacting a lot mosquitoes and other insects.

Very good unique restaurant opposit the entrance.
Close to the track to go up to Ashetan Maryam

• Related to: Backpacking
  • Written February 19, 2008

My room

• flynboxes profile photo flynboxes
  • Reviews: 579

Blue Lal Hotel: A touch of France

This is a cheap but clean place 5-10 min walking from the Churches. I had room #4 which had a balcony and was a great place to relax for a bit and shoot a few photos.

Tired of Italian or local food. This place has some of the best French food in Ethiopia, staff are very kind

• Related to: Historical Travel, Backpacking
  • Written January 14, 2008
Tip Photo

Chillin after my plane ride into town

• AddisLig profile photo AddisLig
  • Reviews: 14

3 star Hotel: Roha Hotel

Stayed there for two nights. Built in the 70's by Haile Sellasie regime, the setting is very nice and the restaurant / bar services are quite good. The room stayed in was very adequate. Standard government hotel. The price is a bit pricy but still when you convert to Euro or Dollar, does not seem to be that much.

• Written November 2, 2007

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3962

HELEN HOTEL

This looked like a pleasant budget option ¾ of the way down the hill. It is almost opposite the Tourist Information office.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written May 19, 2007

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3962

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

THE LAL HOTEL: THEIVING BASTARDS

PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE! THEY RIPPED ME OFF. I arrived at the Lalibela Airport and there were desks for every single hotel in the baggage claim hall. I was staying at the Seven Olives Hotel ad there was only one person in the baggage hall. He told me that he was the transport for the Seven Olives, which provides free transfers to the airport. Great! Off we went down the road and I was dropped off at the Seven Olives. Then asked for 10 Birr more than it would have been for a taxi. An argument ensued in the lobby of the Seven Olives and I had to pay. This is what the LAL HOTEL does. They lie in wait at the airport and scam money from other Hotel guests.

The Seven Olives told me that if I had just asked the airport staff to telephone them they would have picked me up – for free!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Study Abroad, Business Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written May 13, 2007

THEIVING BASTARDS

Seven Olives

This government-run hotel is one of the best here, but don't expect luxury wester standard. Rooms are clean and big but pretty basic. The gardens are nice and there is a pleasant terrace with views, good for sunsets.
I visited it while looking for a room, but finally chose a cheaper one, as the difference in quality was not big, but the price was about 12 USD, much more than the 3,5 USD of Lalibela Hotel.
This hotel is a good place to ask for a taxi to the airport too, as many travellers come here to share it.

Seven Olives

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking

Alief Paradise

I didn't stay there as it was full, but took a look around and seemed a pretty clean and nice place, though basic. Rooms around a central courtyard.
The boss, Solomon, organizes daytrips to see the outwards churches. I was about to go in one of these but the other 2 failed, and it became too expensive for me to go alone.
Rooms for about 40B I think.

It's got a restaurant / nightclub, but the food was rather basic and the atmosphere was more of a club than of a restaurant.

Lalibela Hotel

I arrived here mostly by chance. When I was arriving to town by bus, I commented to my bus mate if he knew some hotel here and he told me he lived in fron of 2, the Alif Paradise and the Lalibela Hotel. As the first was the only one I had in my LP guide, he took me to this one first, but it was fool. So we tried in the new Lalibela Hotel and it was a good choice.
It is a local hotel with rooms around a central patio with a tiny garden. Hot (sometimes) and cold shower, WC ensuite, all double rooms (I used it as a single). It also has a basic restaurant and seats outside at the patio.
Very friendly stuff, they kept my rucksack the last day when I was leaving.

35B (3,5 USD) the room, probably cheaper if you bargain.

• Written September 12, 2006