Somotel Libreville

ZeekLTK's Profile Photo

Better than average African hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 5, 2011

I was visiting a friend in Libreville for a few days and couldn't find any decent prices for hotels online so I asked him to find a local one for cheap. He told me he had found one (this) but that they did not have a website, so I was not able to book online in advance.

Instead, I just showed up around 4 AM (my flight didn't arrive until well after midnight) and I was able to book a room upon my arrival.

I was a bit disappointed because my friend had told me that it would be 18000 CFA for a room (about $37) but they told me that the only rooms they had available were their most expensive - the 32000 CFA (about $66). To be honest, I really don't think they were sold out - I think they were just taking advantage of me because I was a white foreigner, but it was so late I wasn't about to argue or storm off to find somewhere else. Plus, this rate was still cheaper than what I had found online. And, the room came with air conditioning (only the most expensive rooms did) and while I normally don't care about AC at all, it is very nice to have in Africa as it keeps mosquitoes away.

I stayed for a few nights and had a satisfactory stay. I had forgotten to bring an alarm clock, but they provided a wake up call at the time I requested every morning - so that was nice. They also provided complimentary (free) breakfast which consisted of the typical hard bread they have in West Africa along with some orange juice, some coffee (I think - I don't drink it, but I think they offered it), and surprisingly, scrambled eggs. Overall it was decent. It was served in a bar area, so I think they also offered drinks and possibly later meals for a price, but I never got either from there.

The location was good, it is fairly close to the main road that runs along the Atlantic, and not very far from the airport either. To be honest, I was a bit disoriented because the only time I was coming or going was when I was with my friend, so I wasn't paying that much attention. It never took long to walk to where we were going, or to find a cab, so I assume it was a pretty good location.

There was someone at the desk at all times (like I said, even 4 AM when I checked in). They do not speak English here though - I was only able to check in and request a wake up call thanks to my friend translating. They speak French, and possibly other languages, but definitely not English.

Although I was a bit sore about the higher than expected price, overall it was a good stay.

Unique Quality: Served free breakfast every morning - usually consisted of hard bread, orange juice, coffee, and eggs.

Provided wake up calls if requested.

Has several tiers of rooms ranging from 18000 CFA ($37) to 32000 CFA ($66). The more expensive rooms have TVs and Air Conditioning, while the cheaper rooms do not.

Shower was always hot in the morning (I consider this unique for Africa as several places I stayed in Mali did not have this).

Directions: A few blocks from the "main strip" (the road that runs all the way through Libreville along the Atlantic Ocean). Not very far from the airport.

1 Photo of Somotel Libreville

Libreville Travel Forum

Need advice about Libreville, Gabon? Visit the Travel Forum for Libreville and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Libreville hotel reviews