Gnani Hotels

Our Members Say

• grets profile photo grets
  • Reviews: 3429

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Good Shepherd Centre: The kindness of Father Josef

We’d been held up along the road and were running rather late. Time was getting short for arriving at our intended destination before nightfall. Father Josef of the Good Shepherd Catholic Mission very kindly let us camp in his grounds. As well as the church and his own personal home, there is a small courtyard surrounded by five guest rooms. We were invited to use any of the rooms should we wish, but David and I figured that the rooms would be unbearably hot during the night – something which was confirmed by the couple who did opt for what they thought was the comfortable choice.

I personally love sleeping under the stars, and did so on this occasion too. There was only one problem as far I was aware (I didn’t actually see the cow wandering around my ‘bed’ during the night) – the dust! I woke up with the driest mouth I have ever experienced and had no voice whatsoever for the first hour or so. This later developed into a sore throat.

The facilities at the ‘camp’ included a long drop toilet in the chaplain’s garden, complete with cockroaches (only spotted if you shone your torch down inside the hole at night!) and bucket showers. Very civilised.

• Opinion of Price: N/A