Accra Hotels

Our Members Say

RISING PHOENIX MAGIC BEACH RESORT: LET'S GET HIGH

If you are looking for an alternative hotel experience in Ghana, you have found it. The Rising Phoenix is a bar and entertainment venue with themed rooms behind it overlooking the ocean. Because the surf is so loud (and peaceful) - you don't here the bar. In fact if you want to sit in one of the chairs in the segregated room area - its a great experience at a cheap price. You can get an en-suite room (I stayed in "Venus") for 46 Cedis (19 €, $24). In addition the hotel has its own generator, back-up water, good bar, central location and plenty to do.

If you want alternative - you will find plenty of Rastafarians. In fact I was greeted by marijuana smoke the first time I went inside the complex. These folks not only keep trying to sell you stuff (souvenirs, tours), they live here. They have a vegetarian restaurant, large event venue, spa treatments and plenty of alcohol.

They have 11 rooms all named after planets or asteroids. I stayed in Venus the first time. The second visit I was in 'makemake' which had a shared bathroom and not much else. I would have happily paid the 11 Cedi difference if an en-suite room had been available. Book ahead!

They have a deposit system on their website and that works well. They are also good about answering emails.

If you want different - stay here.

* Overlooks the ocean
* You can't hear the bar - because of the ocean
* Its different
* Agree which room and book ahead

• Written May 7, 2012

RISING PHOENIX MAGIC BEACH RESORT

NEW HAVEN HOTEL: DOES THE JOB

I booked the New Haven via email and stayed here my first 3 nights in Accra. It’s a reasonable cheap hotel. I had a room with a ceiling fan and paid 24 Cedi (10€, $13). My first night they had lots of booking so they put me in an older air-conditioned room for the same price. The newer rooms are pleasant. Clean, modern, nice beds and good bathrooms. The only problem is the do not give you a top sheet. I used a blanket from the airplane, but just ask.

They have a little courtyard, good bar (cold beer!), sports on a TV, restaurant and the staff are pleasant. It’s also very quiet. There is a big revival church across the street that makes a lot of noise. I thought it was a bar, but they shut down by 8pm. Otherwise it’s located beside a major bank depot, with lots of security, and its quiet.

They have good screens on every window and even the doors leading to the rooms. Keeps the bugs out.

The location is on the major ring road. I walked to town and it took about 15-20 minutes to get to the start of the center. There are restaurants, fantastic internet center, good currency exchange and bars close-by.

You can get here for 8 Cedis by taxi from the airport – no more.

For the price, this was a great place to land at on my first visit. I highly recommend it for the budget traveller.

When there was an issue with water supply for about 2 hours – the hotel had plenty placed in my room without even asking. Impressive.

The bathrooms were reasonable and my showers were as hot or cold as I wished. The bar was good and I enjoyed a few beers outside. I never ate in the restaurant but it gets good reviews. Breakfast is toast and tea/coffee, but what do you expect for this price?

Good little hotel.

• Written April 22, 2012

NEW HAVEN HOTEL

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

BEVERLEY HILLS HOTEL: FROM BAD TO WORSE - DON'T STAY HERE

There is an excellent tip here (Flynboxes tries to warn you!) about this completely bad hotel. I had forgotten that I had not only read, but rated this review. You now have 2 great reasons to avoid this pest hole of a hotel. It is listed in the LP guidebook as being a good option and owned by a lively former journalist. They really need to delete this place from future reprints. The owner is polite, but he is an old man who sits watching TV outside. I am guessing that the lazy rodents running the place are his grandchildren.
One of them was quick to make a 'discount' and make a reservation. When I arrived a week later another tried to put me in the most expensive room and argue the price. The 3rd, a slovenly girl, was very busy on her phone watching TV on the couch. It took a while for her to bring some water to my room. Water? Yes.

THE HOTEL HAS NO RUNNING WATER

They did in the past, but not for a long while. The evidence of this was obvious. When I finally did get water - they put more water in my toilet tank than they gave me to wash. And even that water was dirty. My favorite thing was the huge dead cockroach in my bathroom being eaten by smaller bugs. I left it that way during the night as I figured it would keep the insects occupied and away from my dirty bed. Although it was comfortable. the pillows were unusable - at least I packed my own!

The weird thing is that they have a nice courtyard and it looks like it would be a nice place for a drink or a meal. Please read the linked review above. No its not!

I could not wait to get away from this place and go to another hotel for a shower. This hotel was reasonable once, but now its just unacceptable.

* No water

• Related to: Budget Travel, Singles, Backpacking
  • Written April 22, 2012

BEVERLEY HILLS HOTEL

Niagara PLUS Hotel: Niagara Plus Hotel

Niagara Plus Hotel is located in a quiet side street of the hectic Cantonments Road. The building itself is a large resident with two floors, and an outdoor restaurant where the parking area was ment to be. The rooms are of different standards and size. The largest room was quite nice at a price of USD 80,-. The smaller room was at the price of USD 60,- was totally different and not nice.
I stayed here for two days and will not return to this hotel. The rooms were not clean and it didn't smell good. The bathroom had broken tiles and the shower was broken.

The location is good if you want to be in Osu, the most happening area in Accra.
Fax: +233 024 4771710

Niagara Plus Hotel in the Osu district of Accra must not be mistaken for beeing the Niagara Hotel in the downtown. Both are under the same Lebanese management.

• Related to: Food and Dining, Beer Tasting, Arts and Culture

Niagara Plus Hotel, Osu, Accra

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Next Door Beach Resort: Next Door Resort

Next Door Beach Resort is a cheap place to stay at the seashore of Teshie in Accra. It's a place where you can escape from the hectic city of Accra, have fresh air, but still be close to the city. The spacious bungalows are located only 10 m away from the sea. All have balconies, hovewer the sea can be too rough if you want to sit outside. The bungalows are a bit dilapidated, mostly due to the salt from the sea. Some renovation and paint could have made this place much better. The air conditioning didn't work, but you don't need it because of the sea breeze.
My favorite place in Accra. Relax and watch the waves roll in from the gulf of Guinea.
FAX: +233 21713961
Price per night 37 Cedis.

The large restaurant serves continental and Ghanaian dishes. Next Door has also a stage with a dance floor, which is a popular and lively entertainment spot with live band every Friday. Or for weddings, parties and other special occasions.

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Beaches, Jungle and Rain Forest

Next Door Beach Resort in Accra

Bora Bora: Hotel Bora Bora

Hotel Bora Bora is a nice, but too quiet hotel off the main road in Teshie/Nugua. It is nothing in the streets around this place. No shops, no restaurants. The price for a double room was 40 Cedis a night, which is OK for this hotel.

A hotel with 35 rooms, nice garden and surroundings.

• Related to: Jungle and Rain Forest, Beaches, Arts and Culture

Hotel Bora Bora

Halifax Hotel: Hotel Halifax

Hotel Halifax is a hostel far away from everywhere. It is nothing in the streets around this place. No shops, no restaurants. Actually I don't know why the taxi drove me here on the way to find a hotel. The price for a doubleroom was 40 Cedis a night. The rooms are larger than normal, however quite basic standard.

The location is the Beach road and the area is teshie/Nungua, so I guess you can reach the seaside if you walk 15 minutes.

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Beaches, Jungle and Rain Forest

Hotel Halifax, Accra

Blue Royal hotel: Blue Royal hotel in Osu

Blue Royal hotel is located 150 metres down a side street of Oxford street in Osu. This is a centrally and good location, with less traffic noise. I was here and asked for a room. A single room was USD 69 and a double room USD 79 a night. This is in my opinion too expensive. The rooms are not that
nice. But this is Osu and most of the hotels are expensive.

• Related to: Beer Tasting, Food and Dining, Arts and Culture

Blue Royal hotel in Accra

Biney: Biney's bed & breakfast

Biney's bed and breakfast is centrally located in Oxford street, Osu. I was here and asked for a room. A small double room was 60 USD a night. This is in my opinion not a good place to stay. The room is tiny and the bed is small. The only postive thing is a 20 inch flat TV screen on the wall.

Centrally located in Osu

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Food and Dining, Beer Tasting

Biney's bed & breakfast in Accra

• flynboxes profile photo flynboxes
  • Reviews: 574

St. George's Hotel: Fair in Accra

We stayed here 3 nights for 20-25 a night. Not too far from the city centre/airport and walking distance from a couple of places to eat. Not really a big fan of African cities but if you have to catch an early morning flight and don't feel like paying through the nose for a cab then this place will work. Staff is nice, bar/restaurant was closed but one of the local kids will fetch you a beer and some take out if you do not want to wander around at night.

The water went out one night so we had to take bucket showers and use the bucket to flush the toilet (Kim claims they shut the water off since we were the only guests one night)..check the beds. I have slept on worse but for what we paid I was a little pissed since the bed had a u shaped curve to it and the pillows were sh....
If you have time head to the coast and stay at Big Milly's in Kokrobite instead as Accra did not do much for me.

• Related to: Road Trip, Backpacking
  • Written April 4, 2010

Hotel from the street

• flynboxes profile photo flynboxes
  • Reviews: 574

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Beverly Hills Hotel: Grundgy Ghana

I hate posting bad reviews about a place so I will try and be as honest and kind as possible. Long and short is that when we first got here they tried to overcharge us for a room. We balked at the first room they showed us and when they asked us what we wanted to pay they showed us a room that had probably not been cleaned since the last guest was there...hey this is Africa and we were tired after chasing visas down for CI. The bathroom still had the shower rug left on the floor and there were no clean towels...on top of that Kim had a cockroach clmb here leg here....
Dinner was anther story as I think we bumped into the owner..we were the only ones there for dinner so he made sure we got some attention. I decided to go local and try some fu fu which he had made from scratch for me....While I give them an A for effort the fu fu is just not my kind of food. It had that rib sticking gooiness to it that I still cannot get out of my head.

The staff was very attentive at dinner.

• Related to: Backpacking
  • Written March 5, 2010

• Alpha_Ghana profile photo Alpha_Ghana
  • Reviews: 346

The Rising Phoenix Resort: For backpacking

The resort is before all an Event spot, with bar, party ground and scene where you can enjoy almost everyday different cultural events.
It is on top of a small cliff facing the ocean, with a direct access to the small beach.
Besides, there are several basic bedrooms in a row facing the ocean. Even if next to the bar, the bedrooms are very quiet and you just hear the sound of the sea.
The comfort is very basic, but you cannot ind cheaper.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Backpacking
  • Written January 28, 2010

• hanspeter_W. profile photo hanspeter_W.
  • Reviews: 1207

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

nicel beach hotel in accra: afiavillage

nice rooms over the accra beach....excellent food but not cheap
reliable friendly staff
internet on hand at reception
reliable hotels taxi drivers

nice beach for jogging - not high waves but unfortunately seawater is (still?) not very clean

• Written November 4, 2009
Tip Photo

infront of the oceanview rooms of afia

• boaricah profile photo boaricah
  • Reviews: 1

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Golden beach hotels: Golden beach hotels

How are you melly? checkout this site for Hotels http://www.gbhghana.com/home.html these are Hotles closer to the beach.

And checkout this site http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/tourism/hotels.php
there are various hotles i Ghana most of them in Accra the capital.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written July 9, 2008

• Veil profile photo Veil
  • Reviews: 1

Knust Hotel: Top end accommodation in Accra

If you are willing to have some comfort and pay for it, Knust Hotel is a nice address for the following reasons:
- it's has European qualitative standards but it's state owned (i.e. you don't support international chains exploitation of Ghana);
- it's 2 minutes walking from Country Kitchen, a value for money restaurant offering delicious Ghanaian dishes (breakfast is included in the overnight fee);
- it's 15 minutes walking distance from Oxford Street in Osu (10 minutes driving from Memorial Park), where you can find shops, supermarkets and Internet cafés

None