Protea Hotel Accra

Accra downtownAccra downtown

National Cultural CentreNational Cultural Centre

Independence ArchIndependence Arch

by JerryBP

Hi - who can recommend a good hotel in central Accra?

Hey Rodney

Upscale please!

Thanks

Jerry

by Charlesisland

just stayed at the Royal Palm great place

by JerryBP

Thanks - looks like that is the one for me!

Thanks for your help

dont stay at the la palm is all I can tell you..

by vlfour

I had the misfortune of staying at this hotel during my visit on last November. I checked into this hotel with a group of 12 and since I was the team leader, I must have given off a scent of having large sums of cash. I checked into my room and left for dinner and when I came back, my room had been ransacked, and the safe was pried out of the wall in the closet, along with my clothes, and my suitcase was used to carry the safe out of my room. The hotel, was and still has yet to respond and explain how this occurred. All that I'm being told is that it's an ongoing investigation almost a year later. There was no forced entry, which means, someone at the front desk collaborated this robbery by providing a key to a hotel employee or a relative. I strongly advise, anyone reading this to consider staying anywhere else but here. The lobby air-conditioning only cools so long as your standing exactly next to the unit, the pool was under heavy construction which we were not told during the time of booking and also of considerable concern are the mosquitoes. It's one thing to have these pesky flying blood suckers preying on you constantly, however there are large stagnant water fountains outside of every room which serve as active breeding grounds. I think the last straw was thinking I going to have access to beach, then realizing that the hotel property is completely surrounded by an iron fence and closed off from beach access. I have more information for anyone interested in seeing the pictures from the crime scene. vlfour@tmail.com

by ghanahomelodge

Dear sir\madam
There will be room available for you during your stay in the home lodge.
A night stay in the homelodge will cost you 32 euro for a double room,and single room will cost you 20 euro with breakfast inclusive (English breakfast).Airport service is free for you ,depends on the days you intend staying.we have a well design kitchen instock with all the cooking tools.
For further information visite our site www.ghanahomelodge.com call Alex,
00233--244244620 ( Ghana)
Hope you will enjoy your stay in the homelodge with us.

yours faithfully,
Alex.

by ghanahomelodge

Dear sir\madam
There will be room available for you during your stay in the home lodge.
For further information visite our site www.ghanahomelodge.com call Alex,
00233--244244620 ( Ghana)
Hope you will enjoy your stay in the homelodge with us.

yours faithfully,
Alex.

Travel Tips for Accra

Mosquite nets and batteries are good to have with

by kwasi

take enough batteries with you. it is easy to buy batteries in ghana. but their capacaty is usually very low.
i saw batteries strike after taking two fotos! a mosquito net is important. most hotels have one, but if you are going some steps abroad. there are no nets

Independence Square

by Pieter11

During the colonisation of Ghana by the British, there once was a big manifestation to demonstrate against the oppressors. During this action, three men were shot by the police. The place where thing manifestation was held, now is called Independence Square: a symbol for Ghanaian and African nationalism.

Because this area was the place where the first rebellion started against the British, it also became the place where the liberation of the country years later should be celebrated.

Today the huge square is THE place for celebrations in the country. It has a seating capacity of 50.000, and it has some important monuments in its surroundings. At the sea-side you will see the Independence Monument: a huge concrete arch that is the centre of the square.

At the other side of the square you will see a black marble monument that is the monument for the Unknown Soldier.

During my visit to the square I was nearly attacked by some soldiers who told me photographing was stricktly prohibited. I played a little bit with my camera and told them I deleted the pictures from the camera. Later, when passing the square by taxi I took some other ones. But better watch out when you visit the square yourself: they might be a little bit smarter next time.

Capital of Ghana

by Wafro

Accra with a population of almost 3 million is the capital of Ghana and stretches along the Atlantic Coast.
It was originally built around the port. Its architecture ranges from large and elegant 19th Century colonial buildings to skyscrapers and apartment blocks made of concrete, glass and steel in the 1970s.
The centre of Accra (Ussher Town, East Ridge, James Town, Osu, West Ridge, Asylum Down) contains the main banks, embassies, the large department stores, museums, the government administration, hotels, etc….
The residential areas are to the north and west of Accra.
The highlights of Accra are the National Museum, the Centre for National Culture, Independence Square, the Kwame Nkrumah Mausoleum, the fishing port at James Town and Makola Market, the university of Ghana at Legon is just 14km north of Accra, and its distinctive buildings are set amongst elegant tree-lined gardens that are popular with students and visitors.

A list of suburbs: