Vitara Hotel

Riceballs at Makola MarketRiceballs at Makola Market

Independence SquareIndependence Square

accra, help!!!!

by Suzanne123

Are there any other travellers who will be in Ghana for November or December?

For those who know Ghana, is Accra safe for a fair, blue-eyed, femalee, single travellor? Or for any woman not accustomed to the culture? Is there a way to get around inexxpensively, yet safely without having to depend on first class hotels, restaurants, and taxis.

Are the notices put out by the U.S and Candadian forriegn affairs people just a precuation, or is unexpected violence escalating. I understand that in the past Ghana has been safe, and that Ghanians are hospitable people, but are these new threats random rare acts, or should they be expected and will become the new norm?

Robberies do happen everywhere, and anywhere in the wold where tourists are, there will be more risk, but I am trying to judge what to expect for Accra. What is prudent?

by fabrice

you do not seem to understand that you should not stay alive more than 4 hours in accra,according to your description
maybe you will not be raped between the airport and downtown,but not sure

by momojo

I will be visiting Ghana in November 2003 for the first time. I am visiting my friend who lives there so he can guide me to the best hotels,restaurants,etc. I do have some concerns for my safety, and for my health. I have had the yellow fever vaccine, and will take malaria pills as well. My friend is from Ghana, so I feel I can trust his judgement, but I would be concerned for you travelling on your own. Most larger hotels would be safe, but if going places make sure you tell someone where you will be and when to expect you back, in case of trouble. Also, be cautious about the food and water,especially. My friends family (who are all natives) don't drink the water -alway have bottled water and drink only brand name. Check to make sure the seal on the bottle is intact. Bring lots of bug spray with DEET and maybe a small first aid kit with bandages,tylenol or ibuprofen, anti-diarrheal medication, triple antibiotic ointment, etc. The medical facilities in Ghana are ok, but not up to US standards. I don't fear for my personal safety,mainly because I will have my male friend with me at all times, but I would definitely be cautious in big crowds or at markets. There is a big problem with credit card theft so if you purchase with credit, make sure you get the carbons.
Good luck on your trip and have a fun, safe vacation!

by olivierf

Hello, Suzanne, I'll be traveling with my wife in Ghana on November and december...May be we can meet ther, never know, I can give you our e-mail if you like...
I've never been to Ghana but I've travelled a lot in other african countries, and I've met some occidental girls travelling by themselves, and they never had any major troubles in blackAfrica, it was not the same in north Africa...

Travel Tips for Accra

Legon University Primary & J. S. School.

by Wafro

When you’re in Accra you should visit the Legon University.
Legon is located 12km. north of the city centre, here you’ll find the University Campus, with the faculties:
Arts, Social Studies, Law, Science, Agriculture, Administration (Business), Medicine,
Dentistry, Allied Health Sciences, Nursing, Engineering Sciences.
But you also find the Legon University Primary & Junior Secondary School on the Campus.
These schools were established in 1948, to educate the children of the campus staff.
Today this school produces hardworking students who pursue their goals to accomplish great things.

Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park

by sachara

South of the 28th February Road is the Nkrumah Memorial in the Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park, This park is monumentally designed with fountains and green lawns.

The park and memorial are first established in the nineties in honour of Kwame Nkrumah, the founder of independent Ghana. In the park is his resting place. So when I came back to Accra in 2003 it was new for me.

You have to pay a small entrance fee and extra for the use of a camera.

My home

by Fizzie

"People"

What i love the most about my home is of course the people.Hospitable, eager to embrace and always ready with a helpful hand , the Ghanaian albeit along with a few fallibilities that all humans inevitably have , is a wamr person.

"City"

I miss the sweat and the heat and the sticky tropical feel of my hometown.The fact that the ocean is a stone's throw away makes it a little more fun to endure the 90 degree heat we have for a larger part of the year....oh and did i mention the amaaaaazing seafood and the dizzzying coconut and coconut juice?

"fish"

...oh yeah , fish is the cheapest thing you can find for most of the year...and it comes fresh, smoked, grilled , fried, baked, stewed...however the hell you want it.

Comments