Ghana Hotels

Our Members Say

RISING PHOENIX MAGIC BEACH RESORT: LET'S GET HIGH

If you are looking for an alternative hotel experience in Ghana, you have found it. The Rising Phoenix is a bar and entertainment venue with themed rooms behind it overlooking the ocean. Because the surf is so loud (and peaceful) - you don't here the bar. In fact if you want to sit in one of the chairs in the segregated room area - its a great experience at a cheap price. You can get an en-suite room (I stayed in "Venus") for 46 Cedis (19 €, $24). In addition the hotel has its own generator, back-up water, good bar, central location and plenty to do.

If you want alternative - you will find plenty of Rastafarians. In fact I was greeted by marijuana smoke the first time I went inside the complex. These folks not only keep trying to sell you stuff (souvenirs, tours), they live here. They have a vegetarian restaurant, large event venue, spa treatments and plenty of alcohol.

They have 11 rooms all named after planets or asteroids. I stayed in Venus the first time. The second visit I was in 'makemake' which had a shared bathroom and not much else. I would have happily paid the 11 Cedi difference if an en-suite room had been available. Book ahead!

They have a deposit system on their website and that works well. They are also good about answering emails.

If you want different - stay here.

* Overlooks the ocean
* You can't hear the bar - because of the ocean
* Its different
* Agree which room and book ahead

• Related to: Backpacking, Adventure Travel, Singles
  • Written May 7, 2012

RISING PHOENIX

NEW HAVEN: GOOD BUDGET HOTEL - ACCRA

I booked the New Haven via email and stayed here my first 3 nights in Accra. It’s a reasonable cheap hotel. I had a room with a ceiling fan and paid 24 Cedi (10€, $13). My first night they had lots of booking so they put me in an older air-conditioned room for the same price. The newer rooms are pleasant. Clean, modern, nice beds and good bathrooms. The only problem is the do not give you a top sheet. I used a blanket from the airplane, but just ask.

They have a little courtyard, good bar (cold beer!), sports on a TV, restaurant and the staff are pleasant. It’s also very quiet. There is a big revival church across the street that makes a lot of noise. I thought it was a bar, but they shut down by 8pm. Otherwise it’s located beside a major bank depot, with lots of security, and its quiet.

They have good screens on every window and even the doors leading to the rooms. Keeps the bugs out.

The location is on the major ring road. I walked to town and it took about 15-20 minutes to get to the start of the center. There are restaurants, fantastic internet center, good currency exchange and bars close-by.

You can get here for 8 Cedis by taxi from the airport – no more.

For the price, this was a great place to land at on my first visit. I highly recommend it for the budget traveller.

When there was an issue with water supply for about 2 hours – the hotel had plenty placed in my room without even asking. Impressive.

The bathrooms were reasonable and my showers were as hot or cold as I wished. The bar was good and I enjoyed a few beers outside. I never ate in the restaurant but it gets good reviews. Breakfast is toast and tea/coffee, but what do you expect for this price?

Good little hotel.

• Written April 22, 2012

NEW HAVEN HOTEL - ACCRA

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

BEVERLEY HILLS HOTEL - ACCRA: FROM VERY BAD TO VERY WORSE

There is an excellent tip here (Flynboxes tries to warn you!) about this completely bad hotel. I had forgotten that I had not only read, but rated this review. You now have 2 great reasons to avoid this pest hole of a hotel. It is listed in the LP guidebook as being a good option and owned by a lively former journalist. They really need to delete this place from future reprints. The owner is polite, but he is an old man who sits watching TV outside. I am guessing that the lazy rodents running the place are his grandchildren.
One of them was quick to make a 'discount' and make a reservation. When I arrived a week later another tried to put me in the most expensive room and argue the price. The 3rd, a slovenly girl, was very busy on her phone watching TV on the couch. It took a while for her to bring some water to my room. Water? Yes.

THE HOTEL HAS NO RUNNING WATER

They did in the past, but not for a long while. The evidence of this was obvious. When I finally did get water - they put more water in my toilet tank than they gave me to wash. And even that water was dirty. My favorite thing was the huge dead cockroach in my bathroom being eaten by smaller bugs. I left it that way during the night as I figured it would keep the insects occupied and away from my dirty bed. Although it was comfortable. the pillows were unusable - at least I packed my own!

The weird thing is that they have a nice courtyard and it looks like it would be a nice place for a drink or a meal. Please read the linked review above. No its not!

I could not wait to get away from this place and go to another hotel for a shower. This hotel was reasonable once, but now its just unacceptable.

* No water
* Bad staff
* Dirty
* Noisy main road
* Forgotten reservations

• Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip, Singles
  • Written April 22, 2012

BEVERLEY HILLS HOTEL - ACCRA

• crownprince profile photo crownprince

Emperor Suite Hotel Accra Ghana: Highly recommend, Excellent for value in Accra

World Hostel recommended this hotel to me. I found the hotel to be very clean new bed sheet and towels and there service to be excellent, room rate is $40
Highly recommend, Excellent for value for your Bucks

Secure and quiet location

• Written March 1, 2011

• lalikes profile photo lalikes
  • Reviews: 169

Highgate Hotel: Oasis in Accra

In a quiet neighborhood near Osu in Accra. The hotel is considered business class and has all the amenities to make your stay comfortable. Rooms are large, water pressure good, A/C, nice staff and a bar attached to the hotel. Rates for 2 are pricier ($165- includes the 12.5% VAT) than probably most hotels in Accra. There are international channels on a flat screen, refrigerator that has drinks in it for the same price as you would purchase at the bar. There is a driver on staff and he charges $30 for 4 hour trips to wherever you want to go within that time frame. Longer trips can be arranged through him as well. Taxi's are plentiful. There is not a pool. Supposedly there is a pool nearby the guests can use. Free Wi-Fi that actually works. Pizza that is served in the bar isn't so good.

• Written April 4, 2010

• hedgie37 profile photo hedgie37
  • Reviews: 6

Presbyterian Guesthouse: Kumasi guesthouse

At eight Cedis (about four pounds fifty) for a clean double room with a fan and clean shared bathrooms with running water that actually runs, this place is ideal for anyone on a budget or really anyone who doesn't mind if breakfast isn't included. It's within walking distance of the main attractions and literally just round the corner from the STC station.

You probably wouldn't want to honeymoon here but in thirty five degree heat you'll want to be outside anyway. Kumasi is the experience this is just a great cheap place to lay your head.

• Related to: Backpacking, Study Abroad, Women's Travel
  • Written February 25, 2009

• LamarD2 profile photo LamarD2

Golden Tulip Hotel Accra: One of Accra's Nice Hotels

We arrived in Accra and my buddy's brother, Nana, met us at the airport and took us to our hotel, the Golden Tulip Hotel. The hotel is not far from the airport. It's an expensive hotel, retail about $150-170 EU or $198 - $225 US a night. http://www.goldentulipaccra.com/default.aspx?Language=EN
It was nice. I was excited about having internet access. However, I soon realized the the internet speed as not what I was used to. OMG!! :-( It was slow! Only about 111 kbps download. Compare that to my current speed at home, 5,156 kbps! Think about it, it was just double a typical modem speed - 56 kbps. Not exactly what I expected. I knew it would be slow, but OMG! Well, I gave up trying to access the internet to keep a daily journal of my trip.

I really enjoyed the restaurant and breakfast was really good. I enjoyed eating by the poolside.

The room was nice, however I never could get the TV working. But, I didn't care, I did not come to Ghana to watch TV and I spent most of the time crawling through the internet...

The breakfast was really nice and the food was good. The pool is nice and there was a live band by the pool in the evening!

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Business Travel
  • Written October 29, 2008

Golden Tulip Hotel Accra on Liberation Road

• D.D. profile photo D.D.

Erata: Local Folks' Hotels

The Erata Hotel was our first stop. Owned and operated by native Ghanaians. Breakfast could have been more appetizing, but it was tasty. Dinner mostly consisted of sandwiches (that I ordered anyway), which sometimes seemed like forever to make, but everything was fresh.

Accommodations were clean - double size beds. They have an outdoor pool. Hotel is surrounded by local people and taxis are waiting outside gates to take you wherever you want to go. Be sure to ask what the price is BEFORE you get in!

They have a great band that plays Fridays and Saturdays from 6-10

No real view since it's surrounded by the local people and their local shops. Beach is on the other side of town.

• Related to: Family Travel, Historical Travel, Museum Visits
  • Written April 18, 2008

• andrea_swiss profile photo andrea_swiss
  • Reviews: 2

Axim Beach Hotel: Axim hidden place

It was a remote place, with friendly staff, beautiful beach, great food for a 3 day stay absolutely perfect

• Written April 15, 2008

View from the room

• michaelp profile photo michaelp

The Rising Phoenix: the best little hotel in accra

Some of you may remember with affection the old Akuma Village. it is now being renovated and is called The Rising Phoenix. Hotel and bar are opem. Restaurant and entertainment spot are, they say, coming. The place is in central Accra, great city-centre-plus-beach location. Great value for money. Very peaceful for Africa, set in wonderful gardens.

Great views over the old harbour!
Friendly staff.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Study Abroad, Backpacking
  • Written March 15, 2008

beach

• Ghanalover profile photo Ghanalover
  • Reviews: 4

1.Hotel Bora Bora: Hotels in Accra

Due to a glitch in my reservation, I was forced to look for an alternative accommodation. Accra hotels were fully booked because of some conference going on, so I had to opt for an out of town hotel in a suburb. After a long search and having to change greedy taxi drivers twice, I had to finally accept a room available at the Hotel Bora Bora at the Nungua Estates.
What a nice ending to a botched up day ! Not only that the pricing was very reasonable- I paid 60 USD per night, but the room was very nicely furnished and very clean.After checking my luggage in, I wanted to eat something but was told that the restaurant is not yet operational. As an alternative, the manager drove me to a nearby restaurant and picked me up later. After an enchanting hour or so at the hotel's beautiful open air bar I went to sleep in my air conditioned room. Refreshed by an undisturbed sleep and a continental brakfast- that Hotel is amazingly quiet for an African Hotel - I went about my business the next day, having been driven downtown in the Hotel's shuttle bus,which was offered to me by the manager whom I had told about my annoying experience with the taxis the previous day. In the afternoon, after attending my meetings, I went to the LA pleasure beach and met some other Hotel guests there who informed me that the shuttle bus was due to pick them up in the evening, thus I was spared the taxi horror again.
All these positive experiences made me decide to stay at the Hotel Bora Bora for the rest of my time in Ghana, enjoying a level of service I had never expected at a budget hotel.
I will definitely stay at this Hotel again and hope their restaurant will be opened by December 2007 as planned. Highly recommendable and best value for money !!

Very quiet, neat and homely furnished rooms, strategically well placed between Accra and Tema.
Beautiful open air bar, where one can sit and mingle with some local businessmen
Night club, which can be rented for functions

And above all, a level of service worthy a 4-star hotel( Bora Bora has no rating yet)

• Related to: Business Travel, Family Travel, Women's Travel
  • Written August 12, 2007

-: Special options

And besides all the "normal" places to sleep in Ghana, you can also try to find some more special options.

The only special accomodation I stayed in during my stay in the country was a platform under a big tree in Wechiau, at the Hippo Sanctuary. This was a wooden platform at about 5 metres above the ground where some matrasses were laid on the floor and a mosquito net was hung over your bed. There was no luxury at all: the shower were 3 wall and a bucket of cold water and the toilet was a wooden box with a hole in it, but the surroundings were absolutely fantastic and the price was very low.

An other option I heared of is in the northern town of Paga where it is possible to sleep on the rooftop of a mud-and-sticks house. I'm sure that must be a very cool option too!

Close to the nature and with the starry sky right above you...

• Related to: Road Trip, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written August 8, 2007

Sleeping platform in Wechiau

-: Self contained rooms

The most luxurious rooms that you can get in Ghana are the so called "self contained" rooms. These are the normal bedrooms with a private shower/bath and a private toilet. I stayed in a self contained rooms six times during my stay in the country: in Accra, Wa, Kintampo, Mole, Nkoranza and Aburi. And every time it was a completely different experience:

In Nkoranza for example I stayed in a small bungalow with a private terrace and an open air shower. The place was not expensive and was a great place to stay. The facilities were clean and there really was a difference between the "shared facilities" and the private ones.

In Accra and in Mole the prices of a self contained room (in a guesthouse this time) were not high either, but in the guesthouse I stayed in in Wa however, the shower and the toilet were not clean at all. I didn't use the shared facilities there, but I can hardly imagine that these would have been even more disgusting. And the price in Wa too high too.

And than there are the ones in Aburi and in Kintampo: both the facilities were pretty clean and good value as well as the rooms, but in both places the difference in price between "shared facilities" and "self contained" was way to high in comparison with the extra value you get for it.

Only if you think your privacy is very important I would choose for a self-contained room. In all other cases I strongly recommend a "shared facilities" room.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip, Backpacking
  • Written August 8, 2007

A private toilet in Accra

• Suet profile photo Suet
  • Reviews: 401

Beach guesthouse: One on the beach

This is not really about recommending the hotel, you couldn't book it unless you were there in person. No website that I know of. This is more to give you a flavour of the things on offer. Ghana is not really a holiday destination as such, except the beach. If you rate this tip, it will not be about accuracy or real information, but the pictures speak for themselves.

View to the beach was wonderful.

The place was basic but clean. The main danger was not from mosquitos carrying malaria, but the fact that you could get electrocuted while taking a shower! See pic 4!

• Related to: Jungle and Rain Forest, Eco-Tourism, Budget Travel
  • Written June 12, 2007

View from the guesthouse

-: Shared facilities room

If you are travelling with two persons, it can be even cheaper to rent a room with shared facilities than to rent two beds in a dormitory. You'll get a room with (normally) a fan and a double bed. Most of the times there also is a small desk and a chair, but don't expect any luxury at all. The toilet and showers are in a central place in the guesthouse, and as far as I have experienced it, there always are enough of them and most of the times they are pretty clean too.

I stayed in a "shared facilities room" three times during my stay in Ghana, and all the times it was very satisfying. In Bolgatanga, Kumasi and Cape Coast I had clean rooms, clean facilities and enough facilities too. Sometimes the difference in price between shared and a private shower and toilet can be quite big: don't doubt to go for shared facilities is my advice!

• Related to: Budget Travel