3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

PO Box 123, Aberdare National Park, Kenya
Jovago.com Despegar.com Travelocity

More about Serena Mountain Lodge

by butterfly_girl

Beautiful rainforest lodge perched on a hill overlooking a watering hole and salt lick. This is the place to be to see lots of animals in the comfort of your hotel room. Beautiful deck and hidden tunnel where you can view the animals up close.

Kenya Safari

by Odinnthor

There is truly a treasure trove of things to see and do in Kenya. I will just mention a few. I have done several Safaris, as a Tour Manager, - usually a combination of Kenya and Tanzania, mostly of the expensive kind. ( I once did a camp safari where the tents had hardwood floors and tables had white linens and crystal champagne glasses, - all packed on a seperate vehicle that goes on ahead and sets up, while the group is meandering through the game reserves )The Masi Mara N Park is great and the Sarova Luxury camp is still around. Visit a Masai village either there or in Amboseli N'l Park. I have not done the Hot Air ballon ride but understand that it is worth it for the panoramic views. Mount Kenya N'l Park with the Mountain Rock Lodge and its salt lick and wooden observation platforms. The Tsavo is fantastic for game viewing, the plains are teaming with life, - elephant herds and lion prides, with views of Mt. Kilimanjaro. It is inconceivable to me that the permanent snowcap I viewed via small plane a couple of decades ago, - is now gone. My favorite is the Mt Kenya N'l Park, on the Slopes of Mt Kenya. There are two hotels/ lodges I would not miss. One being the Mount Kenya Safari Club, founded by William Holden, and later maintained by long time companion, Stephanie Powers. It may be a little "old skool", but it does have the ambience of the long ago hunts, and hunters. The other is the "Tree Hotel" or Serena Mountain Lodge, also built up above the watering hole and the salt licks. I could wax poetic, about the wonder of it all, but there are already ample details in the VT Kenya pages. Since it has been a while since my last Safari, I will leave to more current travellers to work out the details, as I am sure procedures have changed somewhat over the years. I am sure the VT Universe can fill in the blanks. Be save and enjoy. You will not regret it.

Kenya 's National Parks and Lodges

by Odinnthor

"Possibilities are endless....."

As a Tour Director I did several deluxe camera safaris to Kenya, usually in conjunction with Tanzania in the 70's and 80s, and I never got tired of it. The majesty of the African continent gets into your soul. Once did a super deluxe tour where we had a truck that went ahead into the bush, and set up camp, including hardwood floors in the tents, white linen table cloths and crystal champagne glasses, while the group was meandering through the plains, while standing up through the roof of the LandCruisers, taking pictures. It was great, but only for the experience of the luxury. I am really not a backpacking type, and although I do not need the best hotels, - I frankly was spoiled by what was usually the best, or one of the best hotels, wherever we travelled. This also meant that when I travelled on my own, I got the same five star hotels (or another one of their properties), for the price of a two star hotel. That was the benefit of having been there before with 35 people and their spending money. Below is a sample of some of the better places to experience the East African plains.

"The various lodges my tours visited....."

There is truly a treasure trove of things to see and do in Kenya. I will just mention a few. The Masi Mara Nat'l Park is great and the Sarova Luxury camp is still around. Visit a Masai village either there or in Amboseli N'l Park. I have not done the Hot Air ballon ride in Amboseli, but understand that it is worth it for the panoramic views. Mount Kenya Nat'l Park with the Mountain Rock Lodge and its salt lick and wooden observation platforms. The Tsavo is fantastic for game viewing, the plains are teaming with life, - elephant herds and lion prides, with views of Mt. Kilimanjaro. It is inconceivable to me that the permanent snowcap I viewed via small plane a couple of decades ago, - is now gone. My favorite is the Mt Kenya Nat'l Park, on the Slopes of Mt Kenya. There are two hotels/ lodges I would not miss. One being the Mount Kenya Safari Club, founded by William Holden, and later maintained by long time companion, Stephanie Powers. It may be a little "old skool", but it does have the ambience of the long ago hunts, and hunters. The other is the "Tree Hotel" or Serena Mountain Lodge, also built up above the watering hole and the salt licks. I could wax poetic, about the wonder of it all, but there are already ample details in the VT Kenya pages. Since it has been a while since my last Safari, I will leave to more current travellers to work out the details, as I am sure procedures have changed somewhat over the years. I am sure the VT Universe can fill in the blanks. Be save and enjoy. You will not regret it.

"Helpful web sites"

Article on the Parks:

This is a good site for overview of most of the Safaris available:

Kenya Safari JAN 2007

by ram200

"Amboseli"

Our favourite park in Kenya is Amboseli. It may not have the big 5; if you wish to see a Rhino go or return Via Tsavo West rhino sancuary. But in Amboseli there is such a variety for a small reserve. Our greatest spectacle was the elephants. I had read of herds in excess of 150-200, but when our guide took us to see the herd of about 200 it was such an amazing sight. They were in a long line, probably moving to another part of the reserve, our guide said he had never seen anything like it before. We must have come upon the herd at about the halfway point, because to the right it must have been about 1/2 mile to the front elephants and to our left they stretched back more than 1/2 mile. There were family groups with very young; young bulls trumpeting, squabbling and acting like teenagers and the older bulls pushing there weight around in dominance fights.
As well as many small Gazelles the bird life is great, viewing is easy in most places because the plains are very open but most important, is that icon of Africa, Mount Kilimanjaro adding the most dramatic of backdrops to any photos. A small tip: if Mount Kili is clear take a photo while you can, because while we were there it, got covered by cloud as the day went on.
If you do not get the chance to visit one of the Rift Valley Lakes there are Flamingoes and pelicans there, although not in the huge numbers. A first time for us was the Crowned Crane with chicks.
A great little park.

"Treetops"

Well not a lot to say. It was the most disappointing park on our travels. If you have a choice your money would better spent elsewhere, although we did get a sighting of a leopard in the Aberdares ( no thanks to our guide ) and a sighting of Hartlaubs Turraco. The service and food at the lodge was lamentable.

"Mount Kenya"

A lush beautiful park. We stayed at the Serena Mountain Lodge which is a nice lodge with an busy waterhole ( many bushbuck, Defassa Waterbuck, Buffalo, spotted genet, marsh mongoose, sykes monkey which will visit your room if you leave the door open and elephants)and great service and food. Note: there are no game drives available in the Mount Kenya National Park, but well worth a night or two there.

"Samburu"

After the lush Aberdares and Mount Kenya, Samburu reserve was hot dry and dusty, yet distinct in its own right. Grevys Zebra, Reticulated Giraffe, Van der Deckens Hornbill, Dik Diks which wre not shy and the Besia Oryx made the long trip worthwhile. If you have the funds consider flying there!

"Lake Nakuru"

Another fabulous little park. I think we saw about 14 different White Rhino, many gazelles, spectacular birdlife and yes tens of thousands of Flamingoes. A bonus for us was the ability to get out of our vehicle at the lakes edge and get up fairly close to the Flamingoes, although they do not let you get that close! Most parks do not let you get out at all, and being out of the vehicle with a White Rhino not that far away was a liberating experience.

"The Masai Mara"

Sadly here we experienced the changing weather patterns. In February 2007 the Mara should have been very dry, with poor grasses and little water, however the opposite was what we got. Lots of rain, which limited our Safaris because of getting bogged down, but we had our best sightings of Lions, Topi and extensive birdlife. The Mara Sarova Camp was fine, but with the rains limiting our routes around the park we had to cover a lot of the same ground to get anywhere.
Safari Tip: choose a Lodge or Camp in the middle of a reserve where you have choices of routes for your Safari straight from your base.

"Safari Company"

Having bought a flight only we contacted MICS Tours and Safaris in Diani.
They organised everything from pick and return to Mombasa Airport. Our 11 day Safari visited Tsavo East/Amboseli/Mount Kenya/Treetops/Samburu/Lake Nakuru and the Masai Mara before returning to the coast for a few days recuperation.
I can thoroughly recommend them as they beat any price I could get elsewhere. The Safari went like clockwork and our guide, Bedan, spotted so much that we would have missed by being in the right place at the right time.

Comments