Lamu Island Hotels

Our Members Say

• explore_discover profile photo explore_discover
  • Reviews: 229

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Jambo House: Welcome with Warmth "KARIBU SANA"

The Lovely Little Guest House in the middle of Old Town, very close to every tourist attraction.

I have been received by the lovely Damaris (Arnold's Girlfriend) at the Mokowe Jetty for the speed boat ride to the Lamu pier, the House is traditionally Decorated Lamu way, the room which I have got (named MATONDONI) is very comfortable, there is roof top terrace for breakfast and evening tea/coffee and there is sun deck as well.

The Founder and Owner of the Jambo House, Mr. Arnold (from Germany) is very help full he briefed me about the Lamu and places to go see/eat and precautions. He was constantly in touch with me by e.mail when I was planning to visit and by SMS on my arrival to Kenya guided me all the way during my transit from Nairobi to Mombasa and Mombasa to Mokowe Jetty by Bus making things a lot easier for me. He speaks Good English and off cource German

Comfortable Bed, Fan, Attached Bath, Free wifi in room, and Breakfast/Fresh Juice

Single KS2,000 Double KS2,400 for 2011, It will be KS 100 more for next year (KS2,100-US$25.00 Single/KS2,500-US$30.00 Doubles) US$ 1 = KS 83.00 these days

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written December 16, 2011
Tip Photo

Bed

• smokeysf profile photo smokeysf
  • Reviews: 11

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Kipungani Bay-Lamu: Kipungani Explorer - Lamu Island

This resort is situated on the southern part of Lamu Island which is completely deserted. It is a very beautiful place with thatch roofed cabanas, a bar, swimming pool and dining areas.

When booking our room, all the information on the websites and pictures showed beach front cabanas with king sized beds, porches and lush accomodations.

Our first night we were put up in a cabana far back from the beach. The cabana was very small and not what we were expecting. Only after complaining were we moved to a beach front accomodation.

We heard horror stories from other guests about the partying staff who invited the locals to a party for New Years Eve, who blasted music well into New Year's morning. When the guests went to complain at the desk at the noise (the only people still at the party were not guests) the staff completely ignored them.

Also, the hotel overbooked and had to turn away guests who and expected to stay there. Also, the bar often ran out of juice and other drinks.

We were charged for water which was crazy at a resort of this caliber.

Needless to say we were very disappointed because for Christmas we had stayed at the Mara Explorer and had a much different experience.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Written February 22, 2005

• GlobeFriend profile photo GlobeFriend
  • Reviews: 2

Ashante Sana Guest House: Feel at home immediately

It's a very nice house, in the middle of Lamu Town. It's owned by a very nice and hospitable German lady, called Inge. Everything is very clean and well maintained. All the rooms have bathrooms and you can use the rooftop terrace freely. There's even an hammick!!! So let's get lazy. Prices are not expensive and the service is great. It's really a place where you feel at home.

Great views from the roof
Safety, because it's not open to everybody
Peace and quietness