Sai Rock Hotel

Congratulations!Congratulations!

Jesus Fort, MombasaJesus Fort, Mombasa

alistermann

by alistermann

I am coming to mombasa soon and would like to know how to get to bamburi (Kahama hotel)from the mombasa airport.I am not keen to spend 2000.00ksh or more for the taxi any other cheaper and safe option available.I will have 1 normal size bag.
Thanks,
A

by Doffcocker

Hi,

You can get a matatu from Mombasa Town to Bamburi beach, you would need a Mtwapa matatu, not a Bamburi one as Bamburi Township is inland and the matatu turns off the coast road before you get to Bamburi beach. Get it to stop at the new Somak office block, Kahama is about 100 metres down the lane at the side. I haven't taken this matatu for some time (bought a car) but it used to be 50/-. Depending on the time of day and how full the matatu is, it will take around 40 minutes. I don't know if you have taken a matatu before but they can be cramped if they are full, the conductor will probably move people around to accommodate you but you might find it a bit uncomfortable.

But first you would have to get from the airport into Mombasa town. I don't think there is a shuttle bus into town and I can't say I have seen matatus at Mombasa airport. The approach to the airport is quite long. So it would be a hike to get to where it turns off the main road, and then get a matatu. I suppose you could reduce the cost by getting a taxi into town and then getting the matatu out to Bamburi beach

With the extra time and hassle involved, especially if you do not know your way around it's not something I would fancy doing to save about £15, especially after a long flight.

by dadawetu

It not far away to use a lot of money, if am not wrong is just 50/= from Mombasa town to Bamburi.
I advice that from airport to mombasa drop to town then take mtwapa matatu to bamburi because the bamburi is Township inland
Mtwapa matatu will take u to where u want

by Doffcocker

Hi Joseph,

But is there a public service vehicle from the airport, as I said above I have never seen one and that you would have to walk to where the airport road turns off the main road to catch one. (This website says the same thing)

If there is one perhaps you could tell us where it picks up from and how frequently it runs, thanks

Travel Tips for Mombasa

Diani Beach Barbecue/Dolphin Cruise

by allanjames

We loved the snorkelling on the Wasini Island cruise. The dhows look a bit dodgy and held together with string and duck tape but great fun nevertheless. The dhow sails out to a marine reserve and we were accompanied by Dolphins part of the way. What a thrill !
Pity it was deep water and swimming with them was not an option.
Be aware that the dhows moor in deep water and you have to swim to the protected reef. You cannot stand up so if you are not a strong swimmer make sure you have a buddy with you. Safety is your responsibility.
The tour supplies snorkels and masks ie a pile of them on the quay to choose from - not very hygenic ! If you can, take your own !
You can snorkel off Diani Beach but we found it mediocre. Beware the sea Urchins and wear booties with your fins. The beach though is spectacular and you can walk for miles ! There is a lot of hype about the beach boys. We met up with some who have set up a bar/barbecue right on Diani beach south of Papillon resort towards Neptune Resort.
You must stop and have a beer,and listen to the vibey music from the ghetto blaster powered by a car battery. We ordered crab,lobster,fish and prawns for a lunch the next day. They then get it fresh from the fishermen the next morning and barbecue when you arrive. We were sceptical but I can assure you it was the best shell fish I have ever had, dont be scared to give it a try.
The guys are friendly and fun loving, just trying to make a living. Alex is a 24 year old Kenyan and never been to school. He speaks english,german and french which he has learnt from tourists on the beach. We learnt so much about their lifestyle.
Their opinion is that the hotels are greedy and bad mouth the beach boys to keep business to themselves. Just look at the opulence of the hotels and how the average Kenyan is living and make your own mind up ! We booked the dolphin cruise from the beach boys and it was super and a fraction of the price offered by the hotel tour guides.
We will be back !

Visit Mombasa itself, it's...

by Kezman

Visit Mombasa itself, it's hot, dusty and frantic, you will be the centre of attention, but almost everyone was really friendly, haggling is a must, watch your pockets. You can pretty much buy anything in the town, from spices, carvings to herbal medicines on the roadside!! Safari is a must, we took a hotair balloon at 6am over the reserve, was quite expensive, but a small price to pay for the experience of a lifetime.

Fort Jesus

by croisbeauty

Fort Jesus is the most famous historic sight of Mombasa, and one of very few I have seen around. It is pretty huge fortress which dominates the whole peninsula situated in the entrance to the port of Mombasa. The fortress is pretty bad conditions now although it represents the key point of the city-tour. It was my second visit to the Fort Jesus and yet, I never entered inside its structure. First time, back in 2006., the fort was overcrowded by the local school kids and this time I just felt like discriminated. The fact is, and it is on the shame of the local authorities, admission for me as European costs eight times more than the admission which pay the local visitor. While Kenyan visitor pays 100 shillings (1 euro) I have to pay 800 or 8 euros. Therefore I said, no thanks can live without it.

Greetings and Dressing code

by Squinchez

Its advisable to shake hands when greeting rather than hugging unless otherwise. Due to many different cultures theres no particular dressing code, you will notice alot of muslim dressed in their black veils (bui bui) and western fashion as taken over, so dress as you wish and enjoy!

Packing List

by Kezman

Sunglasses, shorts, t-shirts, trousers for the night time You must take mozzi spray and malaria tablets, I heard a few horror stories of locals who have lost kids to malaria If you go on safari a zoom lens is a must, take a camcorder if you can - oh, and lots of film, animals don't pose, you may need to take a few to get a good shot!!!! Trousers for night, lots of mozzies

Comments