Tiwi Hotels

• hayward68 profile photo hayward68
  • Reviews: 987

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Coral Cove Cottages: A Cottage at the Beach

Coral Cove Cottages was a great place to spend a few days. So quiet and relaxing, gorgeous blue-green, warm water at the beach.
I had a two bedroom cottage which was great. A terrace at the front door had a table and chairs from where you could see the water and feel the cooling breeze.
The cottages are basic and self-catering and you need to bring all your supplies or purchase them when you get there. Pots and pans, cutlery, dishes, cups and glasses are provided but no dish soap. You'll need to head to a store to buy all your supplies. I took a taxi to Diani Beach and stocked up.
If you arrive later in the day and don't have time to buy food for dinner you can head to Twiga Lodge which is next door, they have a restaurant/bar. I had my first meal there and went back a few times.
There are mosquito nets on all the beds though there were a few holes in mine so I had to make sure to spray around. Stupidly I didn't put on repellant when I went to bed and the mosquitos had a feast on my arms :-(

DO NOT LEAVE FOOD OUT IN KITCHEN!!!! Ants will come in, as I found out when I left some dried fruit out. The caretaker had to come and spray the ants in my kitchen.
Scraps go out in a garbage container outside the back door, make sure you cover it tight or the wild animals will get them.

There are hanging beds around the grounds which are a great place to lay down. There's one right near the beach that I really enjoyed.

Local fishermen will come buy and sell you fresh fish, fruits and vegetables. I had some great snapper from one gentleman.

You can pay for a cook or housekeeper if you wish, I had my clothes washed one day.

Do not walk up the laneway past the boundary of the cottages, muggings have occurred, you're fine in a vehicle though and there are guards who wander around.

If you've any questions, feel free to email me, I probably missed some information.

Wild monkeys live at the cottages which makes for an interesting experience. Make sure to close the outer wooden door of the cottage if nobody is sitting on the front patio or the monkeys will try and get in through the inner wire door, they can, the wires aren't close together enough. It's great to watch the monkeys but don't leave food out or feed them. They got a feast of a bag of crisps that I accidently left outside and then I had to fight them to try and retrieve it. They were soooo not happy when I threw water at them. They rampaged over my roof and knocked the garbage over in the back and that was strewn all over. As long as you don't leave food out and shut the door you'll have no problems. I loved watching the baby monkeys scampering around the place.

There are a few touts on the beach but I got some great wooden keychains from one of them. He took a list of names and carved them onto different animal figures, they made wonderful gifts.

There are all kinds of activities in the area, snorkelling and fishing are just two. There is information in each cottage listing activities and contact information.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average