Diani Beach, PO Box 32, Ukunda, 80400, Kenya

Costs 81% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Baobab Beach Resort & Spa

Right on the beach

by Tallchick80 about Baobab Beach Resort

Baobab resort is fantastic! It's located right on Diani Beach (south of Mombasa) and offers all-inclusive packages that start as low as 30 USD per night! The hotel is well-kept, and they offer everything from free windsurfing (to experienced windsurfers only, lessons are extra), to tours and sports. The grounds are lush and well tended, and if you love monkeys...you'll find them everywhere. In the morning the colobus monkeys climb on your balcony, and in the afternoons the baboons run around while people lounge in the sun.
The food is the best I have ever had (the biggest buffet I have ever seen), and there was always an evening program from African Cirque De Solei, to acrobats.
At night you can sit by the pool and enjoy the view of the darkened Indian ocean.

The only downside is that the resort is primarily used by German tourists, so you'll hear and see a lot of German.

Overall, it's a great place! There is a pool by the beach, private beach access, tennis courts, massage and hair parlour, ping pong, shuffleboard, exercise classes, windsurfing, snorkeling and diving tours/rentals (Dive the Crab) in the high season there is a discotheque and every night there are two bars to unwind at.

Kole Kole is a fantastic hotel

by TripAdvisor Member SaraG_London

We stayed at the Kole Kole part of the Baobab Beach Resort after a week long safari trip. Very friendly staff, lovely rooms and great beachfront location. The main restaurant is buffet style, but there is a large variety of options and hot food (such as steak, fish, pasta etc) is cooked to order whist you wait.

It is a great location for watersports and relaxing, especially after a lot of travellling on safari. The facilities such as the Watersports Centre, Gym, Spa etc are shared between the two sister hotels. We took windsurfing lessons and a glassbottom boat trip which were both great fun.

I would definitely recommend it, but it's probably not for those who like a lot of nightlife as it's in a quiet location.

Brilliant Baobab

by TripAdvisor Member OakleyIsleofWight

It was our first trip to Kenya and we were certainly not disappointed. The Baobab Beach Resort lived up to all our expectations. We took one of the round bungalow-type rooms, with a sea view, safe, air-con, kettle, TV and UK 3-pin plug sockets for all those chargers, it was just perfect. (The 2-pin sockets seemed more continental size so take an adaptor). A nice plate of fresh fruit was part of the Hotel’s bedroom welcome pack - the monkeys nicked most of it in the first five minutes, before we clued up as to how canny they are! Most of the guests tend to be German, but we got on fine with many of them and to be honest it made a nice change not to see English club football shirts and tracksuit bottoms everywhere.

We looked at Kole Kole, but it was a bit too shiny and manicured for our taste, the Baobab has buckets of charm, with its mature extensive grounds and pillared walkways. The two pools looked great but we never used them, with creamy white sands and a blue, 28C Indian Ocean only yards away, it was just no contest. We swam or snorkeled around the reef three or four times a day. Don’t be put off going in the sea by the beach boys, resign yourself to bargaining for a few carved animals that you really don’t need and then they’ll be just happy to sit and chat with you for the rest of your holiday. They are not really a part of ‘responsible tourism’ and trading with them is not encouraged as many of the younger ones should be in school, but Jambo, this is Africa and unlike some Aid, at least you actually see where your money has gone.

The hotel is all-inclusive and the quality, quantity and variety of the food were excellent, you could do nothing but eat and drink all day long if you so wished. They even put on a full breakfast at 4.00am when you go off on a trip or Safari. The evening atmosphere is great, no-one seems to abuse the free drink and we didn’t come across any rowdy behaviour at all. Don’t take too many clothes, it’s really warm 24 hours a day. You can dress up for dinner, but jeans/slacks and short-sleeves are fine.

The staff, above all else, make this hotel special, from the gardeners to the chefs they are so hard-working and so friendly, they could give lessons to many a hotel in the UK or Europe. The animation team organise everything from volleyball to Swahili lessons and then put on a different show each evening after dinner. Please support them – its nothing like Butlins, so join in. Don’t walk out on the Bingo, it’s to support a local school and Salim makes it all a great laugh in alternating English and German. The local schools and orphanages are always grateful for pens, pencils, rulers etc. They welcome visitors, but just leave your camera in your bedroom that day and take the memories in your head.

We booked our Safari via email from the UK. I’d seen Julius Nzumbi’s name crop up a few times in reviews so I emailed him at Julius Safaris. Back came the first of many replies that answered all my questions. He works hard to get it right for you and even met us on our first night in Kenya to finalise the details. I can not recommend him enough – you might save a few quid by booking down on the beach with another operator, but why take the risk? We were just the four of us in the van, and did Tsavo East and West with our brilliant and knowledgeable driver Cyrus. The highlight: eating dinner after dark on the open terrace of Ngulia Lodge, out of the bush comes a fully grown leopard to eat a lump of meat tied to a tree. He is just 20 yards away, so close I could hear the bones crunching in his jaws. Stunning.

The Baobab deserves its reputation and we would love to go back again.

Great value, beautiful location, wonderful holiday.

by TripAdvisor Member ginagee

If what you're after is relaxing, wonderful scenery, beautiful water and hot sunny weather, then this is the place to go.

Our room (garden view) was small and basic but perfectly adequate and cleaned to a very good standard every day. The first room we were allocated had a double bed when we had requested twins, but as soon as we complained, we were allocated another room immediately and our bags were moved for us while we had lunch.

The location was fantastic as long as you're not looking to wander around shops or find any nightlife! Walking on the beach, as people have mentioned, is fine if you are firm with the beach boys and make clear that you dont want to buy anything. If you do buy anything from them, they will be super friendly from then on and my friend ended up being on first name terms with lots of them!

I would highly recommmend going out on one of their little dhow boats... we spent £7 to be taken out to the sand reef. I can't begin to describe the amazing feeling of being a mile out to sea, standing on an isolated sand island.... wonderful.

The diving is fantastic and Roberto the instructor is great if you have never done any diving before. I took my PADI exam while I was there as I felt so confident with him.

The food was excellent, but it did get a little boring after one whole week of the same salads. The fresh fish and meat were incredible though. I wasn't too keen on the desserts... the fresh fruit was wonderful but the german style desserts were not!

The spa was very good and I would highly recommend the hot stone treatment - bliss!

The staff were great. Friendly, chatty, and they couldn't do enough to make your stay better. There were mainly German guests in the hotel (it is german owned) and very few English, but all the staff spoke english and the other guests were very friendly. Many guests were regulars that had visited many times before - always a sign of a good hotel!

As I said before, there is not much around the resort other than more hotels along the beach, but we were quite happy to stay where we were. The only time we ventured out was to eat at the Ali Barbour rsetaurant which was good (not great!) but worth the venture out of the hotel for an evening just to see the setting (in a cave). Expensive for the area though. Drinking afterwards at the 40 Thieves (behind it on the beach) was nice although quiet... I believe it gets busier later in the season.

If were to complain about one thing it would be the sun loungers. They are the plastic type that dont go fully flat, so lying face down or trying to read on your front is never very comfortable... considering this is the place I spent most of my time, it was quite a fundamental issue for me! There were flat comfortable sunbeds in a very small area down by the dive centre, but that area was quite shaded.

In summary - I would definitely recommend Baobab Beach Resort for a quiet relaxing, holiday doing very little... or as a base for doing a safari maybe although I can't comment on the quality of the safaris or any other trips as we didn't leave the hotel! If they changed the sunbeds it would be an almost perfect holiday!

Superb

by TripAdvisor Member holibags58

We have just returned from a 7 night stay in the Baobab, after reading the amazing reviews, we were slightly concerned it would not live up to the hype, but the Baobab did not disappoint. We arrived to much needed cool drinks and hot towels and were greeted with a friendly 'Jambo' from all the staff, who couldn't help enough throughout our stay. The superior bungalow we booked was just that - beautiful sea view, with comfortable, clean accommodation, the room couldn't be faulted. We were intrigued but the neighbouring Kole Kole and considered upgrading, but after a walk round the ground we found it pleasant but slightly stark and modern in contrast to the intimate, homely surroundings of the Baobab. The food was fantastic, much better than we expected from an all inclusive resort. There was so much selection, it was difficult to get bored, even though you dined there three times a day. With a variety of meals cooked in front of you, you are spoilt for choice; the fish and pasta were excellent. We were even provided with a hot 4.30am breakfast when we went on safari. I would highly recommend the A la carte restaurant, we went on our last night - the food was outstanding, and the service impeccable.

The bar area had a wonderful atmosphere and in the evenings, you could comfortably lounge in the surrounding areas and the drinks were of a good quality.

The Baobab provides excellent activities throughout the day, but there is no pressure to get involved. However, even I took part in the water polo and enjoyed the banter with the excellent animation team. Sounds a bit Butlins, but not like that at all. Apologies to all Butlin's aficionados.....

The other facilities were also well used by us, the tennis courts and gym were of a good standard and the beauty services were fantastic (so I am told!) The beach is beautiful - please do not be put off by the beach boys, we didn't step foot on there for a few days in fear of being hassled, but if you go right from the hotel, it's much clearer, and a simple 'no thanks' really does work. You must take a walk along the shore, it's amazing.

It was wonderful to come back to the Baobab after our Safari, it felt like home from home, and we are now left with many happy memories. I could not recommend highly enough.

Bliss at Baobab

by TripAdvisor Member Sbking79

This hotel is great! Set on beautiful grounds overlooking a stunning beach with white sands and turquoise clean water it's a sight to behold. The rooms are lovely and a good size (I stayed in a double garden bungalow), food is really good (lots of choice and really tasty). The pool is great and next door in Kole Kole on the same grounds you can use their infinity pool which is FAB! This hotel has a great spa my partner and I had a massage in the couple’s room and really enjoyed it. The staff are so lovely and always smiling. It’s made for relaxing, there are day beds all over the place and it’s very peaceful, I really loved staying here.

My Top Tips

The Wasani Island tour is very good - great for snorkelling and dolphin spotting.

Fort Jesus by night is really informative and a beautiful meal in impressive historic surroundings

Fantastic Honeymoon at the Kole Kole

by TripAdvisor Member Worrea

We originally booked our honeymoon to be at the Baobab but on arrival was upgraded to the Kole Kole.
It was fantastic. Felix the porter took us to our room and when he opened the door the view was breathtaking!
We were made to feel very welcome by all the staff and would often get a table outside for breakfast, lunch and dinner at the karibu restaurant.
The food was lovely and the variety was very good. We really enjoyed the seafood night and the Oriental night, however, all that we did eat was gorgeous no matter what we had.
The entertainment team were great and we fully participated in the waterpolo and volleyball each day. I even took part in the Jambo Jambo song and dance routine as well as the Seaclub song and dance. The acrobatic routines that the guys put on were fantastic. All the shows we watched were entertaining, colourful and enjoyable.
I can not fault this place and will definitely look to return booking in at the Kole Kole. 5 stars all the way for this little bit of paradise.

Fantastic Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member barbaraManchester

My Husband and I have just returned from the Kole Kole. We have just had the most amazing holiday ever. We had booked a suite we didnt know what we were going to get because I had not read any reviews on them, it was amazing there was a double jucuzzi bath, king size four poster bed a amazing shower and a beautiful seating area but the best was the view from the balcony it was breath taking.
The only small problem is the beach boys, a real pain. Most of the people staying at the hotel, when we were there did not go on the beach for this reason.
All of the staff at the hotel without exception are fantastic and made our holiday very special. I would like to say a special thanks to Augusto from the pool bar who really took a lot of care of us. The animation team who are really the best I have ever seen a special hello to Grace. We also did a safari to the masai Mara we stayed at the Little Governors camp which also was very special the service the food and the safari were excellent and the high light of the trip was the sunrise balloon safari with Captain Steve Rowlands a real must do. I could really write pages but the best thing I would say is go and see for yourself. With warm wishes from Jamie and Babs to all our fellow Travellers who made our holiday and to the people of Kenya. Thank you.

Kole Kole - Wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member TheScotts22

We stayed in the Kole Kole wing of this resort for two glorious weeks. Weather was superb. The resort is quite new and is well maintained and cleaned and the gardens/public areas are kept lovely.

The room that we had booked was very large, massive bed and seating area. We also had a double sink and a double shower which was a great idea as you could get ready at the same time!! We booked this holiday with First Choice and the room that we booked was the deluxe room which is just the one below the suite (only six of these suites) and we were not disappointed .

The staff at Kole Kole were very very polite and very happy, always saying Jambo as we passed. The service was excellent from the room boy, the pool service, the bar and restaurant staff, animation team and the maintainance workers.

The only thing that we were disappointed with was the food at the restaurant.

We booked a safari to the Tsavo East National Park with our tour rep at the resort and there were no problems with this trip at all.

The only thing that we forgot to take with us were our special shoes that we had bought in Mauritius to go into the sea wearing (as there are sea urchins) which can be very nasty and also there is a bit of sharp coral further out to sea too.

But saying this, we will be taking them back on our holiday to Kenya to the Kole Kole in June. Yes we are going back as we were really happy with this hotel and we are going to go on a different safari to the Amboseli National Park!

Safari ngema - Safe/good Journey!!

Hakuna Matata!! - No Problem!!!

wonderful holiday

by TripAdvisor Member Tharry

Just arrived back on 10th jan , enjoyed a wonderful 9 days at Kole Kole after our safari, arriving on New Years eve with our 2 children aged 19 &16 they too had a fantastic holiday . The rooms are large and spacious the grounds are well kept and maintained and the food fantastic theres always something for everyone. The staff and service are also fantastic. If I was being really picky the only thing negative I could think of would be the hawkers on the beach which made me uncomfortable going for walks however this is no reflection on the hotel. The infinity pool is delightful to cool off after a couple of hours on the sunbed and the animation team work hard and getting everyone to participate in the beach volley ball and water polo. All in all a very beautiful location and some fantastic family memories of a holiday of a lifetime.

Daniel Mwai is the man you need for Safari-trips.Daniel Mwai is the man you need for Safari-trips.

A fisherman with his boatA fisherman with his boat

the head monkey troublemakerthe head monkey troublemaker

POOLPOOL

Baobab Beach Resort, Diani beach

by Heavens-Mirror

Anyone been to this hotel and do you know what weather is like mid june time?
Stacey x

Re: Baobab Beach Resort, Diani beach

by tembofan

Nice hotel on a lovely stretch of beach. I always feel a little cut off at Diani as it can take 1 - 2 hours to get there via the Likoni ferry from the airport. June could be the end of the long rains so take an umbrella. Since El Nino the seasons have shifted and very often run into June. In between the rains it will be hot - 30 -32 C

Kenya with 2 small kids - what hotel do you recommend??

Hello there,

We are planning to fly to Kenya for a 3-week vacation in December. This will be our second "distant" trip with our two boys aged 2 and 4. Can someone please recommend a hotel or help me choose from my short-list?

I am looking for a safe, clean place with a pool for kids and possibly some attractions so that we can get them busy and relax a bit :)

This is my shortlist:
Voyager Beach Resort
Baobab Beach Resort - Diani
Turtle Bay Beach Club

Also, does someone have a website/mail to the Voyager Beach Resort?

Catherine

by dziadziu

I am a researcher---Pinewood Village hands down !!!!! Been there bought the T shirt would love to go back. I spent 9 months building a bush n beach safari for Kenya. Pinewood was all and then some! Enjoy, Dziadziu

by tembofan

Here's the website for Voyager ---- http://www.heritage-eastafrica.com/voyager.html

Without doubt the best hotel on the coast! After a long overnight flight with two children, the last thing you need is another 1-2 hour road journey via the Likoni ferry down to hotels at Diani (Pinewood or Baobob) or the same distance up to Turtle Bay. Voyager is about 20-30 minutes away so you can get off the plane and head staight for the swimming pool! Voyager have a fantastic animation team who run a kids club - they will keep the kids amused all day if you want. The run pool has a small toddlers pool plus a water slide. They do early suppers and the superior rooms have 2 huge king size beds. We're known as repeaters as we go back time and time again. You'll love it. Its also handy for loads of local attractions - Haller Park, Bombolulu cultural centre, Akamba workshop, water park, mamba village, go-karting, butterfly pavillion, Mombasa City and a great supermarket complex (Nakumatt) where you can buy everything.

The Turtle Bay Beach is already booked out :-/
I will try the Voyager.

Many thanks for your precious help! :))

by Globtrotter

I can't seem to reach the Voyager and all the good resorts seem to be booked by the big travel agencies :-//

by tembofan

Because its such a great hotel is does get booked up by international and domestic tourists.

Try e-mailing Diana in Reservations - diana.kubo@voyagerresorts.co.ke

by Servalcat

wwhttp://www.heritage-eastafrica.com/

superb for kids as well as adults.

by Globtrotter

Thank you all for your help but we had to resign from this trip as everything is fully booked for New Year's Eve :-/

Comments