Galu Beach, Ukunda, Kenya

Costs 38% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Pinewood Village Beach Resort

Beach Resort

by bijo69 about Pinewood Village

Great small beach resort at endless Galu Beach. Big bungalows in a beautiful garden. Fantastic beach bar! Staff is very friendly and helpful.

There's a scuba diving school on the premisses. Each bungalow has its own chef!!!!

Paradise found?

by TripAdvisor Member ZMANEngland

I visited this hotel first in March 2004 and again in March 2006. Having stayed at a number of hotels on the South and North coast, I can recommend this hotel for it's location with an endless beach, friendly staff and clean accommodation. I stayed with my two young children and found that the management team were extremely accommodating. The food was of extremely high quality. Some may find the accommodation a little basic as there are no TVs in the rooms but then again, you don't come to paradise to watch TV! Well done Pinewood Village.

friendly pinewood

by TripAdvisor Member KathSe

We visited kenya, and pinewood for the first time in february, and what a fabulous experience. We got married at pinewood, and were nervous about booking our wedding, at a hotel and country we had never been to before. We could not have chosen a better hotel, it is small and personal. The staff most definately make the guests experience special, they cannot do enough for you. The food is delicious, everything is local and fresh, and the vegetables and fruits grown in the grounds. Dorcas the personal chef we had, was amazing and cooked some great food.
Complete relaxation is what pinewood is all about, activities are available with aqua land attached for water sports, but generally speaking, it is a peaceful and tranquil setting.
We also did a 4 day safari, and a 1 night stay in sable tree house in the shimba hills. Both of which added to a very memorable wedding, holiday and honey moon in kenya , and more importantly pinewood village.
Will we go back, most definately!

Brilliant!

by TripAdvisor Member SimonRyu

We stayed for a 2 week wedding/honeymoon in the Pinewood Village in Feb '07. We chose the pinewood because it’s a smaller resort and had positive reviews on trip advisor. We're very happy with our choice to get married there and bring all our family and friends (23 of us in total). The hotel had everything that we wanted; good food, cheeky monkeys (one actually stole the lime out of my drink while I was sunbathing), activities and peace and tranquility. But what really made our stay so memorable was the staff. They were all so friendly, always smiling and would do whatever they could to improve our stay. The rooms (we stayed in one of the suites) were beautifully decorated with handmade furniture, fab double showers and air conditioning. The food is good, breakfast up in the restaurant, a buffet with an omelette station. Lunch down on the beach or round the pool and there is a good selection - pizzas, toasted sandwiches, exotic salads and seafood dishes. Dinner is a buffet (or chef in your room if you have a suite), - with barbecue on the beach twice a week (though sometimes the BBQ is in the restaurant if there is a wedding on). For Valentine’s Day they decorated the restaurant with lights, flowers and had a bonfire on the beach. The hotel is small so there is a real family feel around the place, everybody was friendly and chatty. The place to be after dinner was the beach bar, there they served delicious cocktails (you must try a dawa). There is a good selection of water sports including kayaking, windsurfing, kite surfing and scuba diving - all are professional and fun. Again, what makes this hotel great was the staff. From the cleaners to the managers, they were all friendly, always smiling and would do pretty much anything to improve your stay. We got married on the stunning beach under beautiful arches of fresh flowers. The staff went out of their way to make the day absolutely perfect. They even provided us with our own personal reception barbecue on the beach. For those who are thinking of getting married there, we can’t recommend it enough, the hotel was great, as was the photographer - he was fantastic, pictures were brilliant. Pinewood Village made our holiday and wedding wonderful and we have another 21 people who would agree and we all would love to return some time in the future.

special

by TripAdvisor Member lilysuffolk

My husband and I stayed with pinewood for a week ,and it is a week I shall never forget. After a long journey your immediatly greeted with a lovely cool drink. Check in is quick and your bags carried to your room. The rooms are clean, spacious and airy. I loved all the handmade furniture which was made out of the scaffoldind they used to build the resort. Sitting on the balcony you see all the monkeys scurring about which I thought was amazing. Little touches like fresh flowers on the bed everyday in different patterns . The swim up bar was a god send and very clean. My husband and I are very fussy eaters , the food was excellant. One night we were having so much fun talking to guests and staff that we forgot about eating. We were soon looked after , the chef stayed to make us some dinner. This was not the only occasion that are every need was catered for, there is to many to mention. The management and staff work so very hard day in day out to make your experience an enjoyable one. We have never been made to feel so special, nothing is to much bother. I have never slept so soundly ( i am a very restless sleeper) even in my own bed. Pinewood is not for those who like the more big commercial hotels,with lots going on all the time, lots of other people all trying to do the same thing. I loved the tranquilty of pinewood and the fact that it is smaller and more personal. Laying next to an uncrowed pool was heaven in itself. I would recommend pinewood village to anyone , its the most unforgettable hotel we have ever stayed in.Everytime my husband and I talk of our stay with pinewood it makes me feel emotion i have never felt before ,for a place that I have stayed. My husband and I cannot wait to return to pinewood (hopefully next year),the place ,the people will always have a special place in our hearts.

Heaven on earth

by TripAdvisor Member emfish

Our two week stay at Pinewood was utterly heavenly! The resort is just magical and the staff make it even more amazing by catering for your every need. We actually got married whilst we were at Pinewood and had an amazing experience. From the moment we arrived all the stress and strains of arranging a wedding were taken away. I expected to have to find myself a hairdresser in the local town, choose flowers, visit the town hall to complete paperwork etc but the staff at Pinewood arranged everything, we didn't have to lift a finger, everybody came to us all we had to do was turn up. It was a totally romantic experience and one I'd recommend to anybody although I'd love to keep it our "little secret". If you've ever been to Pinewood you'll know what I mean.

Pinewood is a very intimate resort, there are only 30-40 rooms and every memeber of staff makes it their duty to say "jambo" "good morning" etc, to make you feel really special. Pinewood is definately not for those who enjoy loud music and all night clubbing, it's a very relaxed atmosphere with the emphasis on "luxury and chilling out". We had a beach front villa (room 190) with amazing views of the ocean and huge 4 poster bed and our own chef to cook our meals. The room was beautiful with fresh petals scattered on the bed daily and immaculately cleaned once a day. The private chef is a fantastic idea and only serves to make your stay at Pinewood even more special, we were absolutely spoilt for choice everyday and in the end "Safari" cooked "kenyan" style most days to save us having to choose, and we were never disappointed.

I have stayed all around the world and assure you 100% that Pinewood is a fantastic resort. I was astonished to read a report about Pinewood having rodents and can assure you that there were no signs of any rodents during our two week stay. All I can say is that you'd be missing out on an experience of a lifetime if you took notice of the one bad report written on tripadvisor. The management has changed incredibly, for the better and is now run by a 5-Star Swiss trained professional with experience from all over the world, Miami, Geneva, Montreux, Bern, Nairobi, Mombasa and Diani. In fact the new manager Ronnie was our best man at our wedding and had sensational plans for Pinewood.

I would recommend Pinewood Village as the best resort at the Kenyan Coast if not in the world! "

Wonderful hotel with fantastic wildlife

by TripAdvisor Member WilmaLeicestershire

We arrived at Pinewood early October after a safari in the Masi mara tired and grubby. We were warmly welcomed with the biggest of smiles and infectious laughs by Mary on reception who offered us a refreshing drink.

Our room was nicely decorated, basic but had lovely wooden furniture. Bathrooms are cool they have nice big double showers. We were fascinated by the Columbus monkey's who lived in the trees outside our room and the beautiful weaver birds that were near the restaurant.
Our Chef Anita could cook anything we asked for even if it was not on the sample menu. The crab claws, fish soup and lobster definately need a special mention!!

The staff are friendly, the pool clean, you could always get a sunbed and fresh towels. If you're looking for a relaxing holiday with lots of reading and nice food you have found the right hotel. We went on the Dolphin dow which was amazing as we actually swam with wild dolphins.

We also went to the Tree house but be careful if it is raining as we got stranded as the roads are mud tracks and we were not in a 4x4 vechicle, but this was not the hotels fault.

All in all fantastic place and would highly recomend it

New year in Pinewood

by TripAdvisor Member vickycvat

Prior to arriving at Pinewood, we have taken in a night at the Sable Treehouse which is a must for anyone travelling in the area. The "comedown" from Sable could have been considerably worse, had it not been for the solitude and cleanliness of the Pinewood, but certainly a considerable improvements are needed at this hotel as far as the food was concerned. It was fortunate that we had upgraded to the suite, therefore we were able to select our own menus every evening, however the odd occasion we failed to submit our order in on team did mean we had to make use of the main restaurant, which meant that we were confronted with an unimaginative and poorly cooked buffet. It was also irritating that the room lacked both a mini bar and coffee making facilities, as well as a telephone for ordering drinks from room service, which meant that late night or early morning walks to the bar or restaurant were always necessary. Bearing in mind the size of the rooms, it was unclear why they have not considered putting either, or preferably both in the rooms for all guests.
With these minor grumbles aside, the hotel was in a beautiful location and was extremely peaceful as children were noticeable by their absence as they were all located in the larger hotels down the coast.
Highly recommended as long as you arnt a lover of great food!!!

Brilliant

by TripAdvisor Member tim_and_noelle

A wonderful and memorable stay. The situation is excellent and facilities are more than you might expect with the water sports centre next door but the making of the place is the staff. Nothing is a problem, always smiles in the most genuine and caring way. Happily the hotel is not marred by tv's in the rooms, minibars and clutter but the overall feeling of a club or guest house. Everyone greets you in a friendly manner from staff of all levels to established and newly arrived guests. It is small enough to meet guests every day to chat and exchange experiences. The rooms are private enough to enjoy the peace of the place. The food is excellent and plentiful with a wide choice and the chef in the suite is an outrageous luxury to be enjoyed. We ate in the dining room several times to enjoy the choice and ambience. Breakfast is a real treat especially if you can make it up for 7am to watch the weaver birds making their nests.
Read the reviews and choose for yourself - it is not for everyone perhaps. We love Kenya and are booking for next year already. If it appeals to how you wish to holiday then you wont be disappointed.

time of our lifes

by TripAdvisor Member aigManchester

just returned from pinewod village on 16.3.07 and we had the time of our life we wanted some where special to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and were not dissapionted,everyting about it was just perfect,the staff (nothing was to much trouble}.the location,the accomadation,and the food if your thinking of going dont hesitate you will not be dissapionted,if you do go say jambo to humprey the bar man at the beach bar from AIG,and you will have afriend for life.cant wait to return next year,pinewood is due to close on april 23 for re-furb so should be even better if thats possible.from a very happy traveler.

Kenya Safari / Beach Luggage???

by gr1000

Hi everyone,

Going on a 6 night safari then 7 nights in the PInewood village in October, and was just wondering what happens with all our luggage for the beach holiday? Do we transport this to each lodge on our safari?

Cheers for any help

Re: Kenya Safari / Beach Luggage???

by DeoPitt

Ideally, when you arrive in Nairobi (assuming), you would stay at an area hotel before heading out on safari. (This is helpful for jet-lag, etc.) They will traditionally store an extra bag or two for you.

RE: RE: Kenya Safari / Beach Luggage???

by gr1000

we are booked with lastminute.com and starting at the Stanley hotel in Nairobi then heading for a 6 day safari,then 7 nights at the pinewood village.

by WillisHouse

To everyone who gave advice on my earlier questions. We have now booked a Tailor made safari taking us from Nairobi to Mount Kenya, Lake Nakuru and Masi Mara. So we now have two weeks left of the holiday for beaches. Still haven't decided between Mombassa or Zanzibar. We don't want to stay in big hotels. We like to stay in small huts (with hammocks is good) on low key chilled out beaches,( like bottle beach in Thailand if anyone knows it) preferably with no beach boys around. Any suggestions?

Re: THANK YOU

by Daktari

Hi

I would recommend Pinewood Village on South Coast in Mombasa. Small and cosy, and endless beaches.
If you are interested you can contact me.

Have a good time
Daktari

Zanzibar suggestion..........

by ctctvl

Quite by chance we stayed a Ras Nungwi resort on the northernmost western tip of Zanzibar. It was wonderful !!!
The staff & management could not have been more helpful ! Very remote with no beach interruptions other than massages under the shade of beach trees.
VERY relaxing - lovely accommodations, beautiful water and plenty of activities & great food.
Only difficulty was horrible road trip from airport - 1 hour of bumps - but well worth it !

Bush-n-Beach Safari

by dziadziu

Planning a photo safari for OUR Big5 in Kenya.(in priority Black&White RHINO, HIPPO,ELEPHANT,LION&CROCODILE. Will be visiting Masi Mara, Tsavo East & West National Reserves. What would the best time of the year for this photo safari? How long should be spent @ each site. ( Mara Safari Club /Kilaguni Serena Lodge ) For health concerns my wife and I hope to use domestic flights to reach these Reserves. This is our first adventure in Africa --- so all advice,words of wisdom and general information would be more than appreciated and helpful. BEACH SAFARI (S. of Mombasa)--- GALU BEACH Pinewood Village. MANY THANKS,dziadziu

RE: Bush-n-Beach Safari

by WStat

Hi,
To keep it in a nutshell: March to May and Otober to December are rainy seasons, all other months preferrable, most beautiful September/October
I did a beach-Amboseli-Tsavo-Nairobi-Masai Mara Safari by plane. It took 5 days / 4 nights - more than enough to get an impression. Save half of your time for Masai Mara and Samburu, although Amboseli and Tsavo are also beautiful (more plains, less djungle), but there 1 day each may be an acceptable minimum.
The whole trip was very well organised (I booked it directly in my beach hotel in Mombasa, which was no problem at all)and most comfortable (if possible, try to stay at the "Little Governors Camp" in Masai Mara !
Even the 2-engined plane, seating 8 pax, was not bad and skillfully piloted by an UK expatriate. Look at Kuonis page, they offer good trips, at
Have a nice trip!
WStat, Vienna

RE: RE: Bush-n-Beach Safari

by Charlie72

Hallo There, Kenya is a wonderful country, the best safari period is July/August all the way to September. that is when the migration of the wildebeeste is on at the Mara. 2 Nights should be sufficient at each park should be sufficient.
Safaris contact local Tour operators there is whole list of them but the outstanding include, southern cross safaris, African Route safaris, African quest and many more writing to all of them ensures that you get a competitive quote.

Comments