3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Costs 348% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Mara Serena Safari Lodge

Serena Masaai Mara...

by jglenn

Serena Masaai Mara (www.serenahotels.com) Best hotel I stayed at in Kenya. Excellent views from the room, great rooms, baths, etc
Pool, massage areas. Best food also. Strange rat-looking tree hilaxes waddle around your feet looking for handouts.

Game Parks

by Suet

Gawd.. you are charging around a bit. You will be on the road most of the time with hardly any time to see animals.

Let me explain a bit. Amboseli is amazing for elephant. It's a swampland with good grazing. You can see lechwe (antelope) plenty of birds and small wildlife. Tsavo west is good at Kilaguni Lodge. The lodge is fantastic and if you care to, you can go on a wildlife walk on foot and discover the tracks of the animals. Nairobi has the Nairobi National Park which is basically a day trip. You can see everything (if you are lucky) except elephant. Lake Bogoria is good for flamingos, Stella Sea Eagles and the hot springs. Sweetwaters is a tented camp with amazing birds and if you are lucky, the pygmy mongooses will visit your tent. HOWEVER do NOT leave food in the tents as monkeys will break in and trash your belongings. Nakuru is my favourite park of all. Flamingos around the lake edge like cherry blossom. I spent several brilliant weekends there, easy to find rhino, lion, baboons, cheetahs, all birds and ungulates.

The Masaai Mara is amazing. Be prepared to wear warm clothing for the early morning game drives, it can be very chilly in the wind. You may just catch the last of the big migration. If you are staying at the Mara Serena, say hello to Paul and Gladys, our guides this past November. Do NOT leave your windows open as baboons like to visit you after breakfast!

Listen to the lions roaring, the hyenas laughing and the zebra in the night. Life goes on as you sleep.

I wish you well and an amazing time. If you get the chance, look up at the stars in the Mara, they are so big and bright.

If you need a contact in the future for resident trips, let me know. I lived there for 3 years and have posted lots of tips on my pages.

Excellent as usual

by TripAdvisor Member rosesteve

We spent 4 nights at the Mara Serena in March, being our third stay at this lodge. The standard of service was as usual exceptional. The staff were all very welcoming, helpful and friendly and the food and rooms of an excellent standard. The views from the pool area are stunning and there was plenty of wildlife within a short distance of the lodge. Breakfast by the hippo pool was a lovely end to our holiday. We would not hesitate to return on our next safari.

Beware of Overbooking

by TripAdvisor Member four4journey

Booked with Somak Safari in Aug. of 2006 for two nights stay at Mara Serena Aug. 13, 14 of 2007. Advised two days before we left for Safari that the lodge was overbooked and therefore we were placed at another property. Not sure if the problem laid with Serena or Somak, but needless to say we were very unhappy with the problems. Told that during migration, this is a common problem in the Mara. Traveler beware.

Loved every minute! Wanted more!!

by TripAdvisor Member Bev57

Date: 12 July 2007
Baldock, Hertfordshire
Just returned from a 2 night safari to Mara Serena in Kenya. We flew to Nairobi from Heathrow, then transferred to Wilson Airport for a short plane ride to the air strip at Mara Serena the flight was approximately 45 minutes and was great fun.
At the lodge we went on 2 safaris a day, 1 at 6.30am and the second at 3.30pm, these both lasted between 2-3 hours depending on what we saw.
Well now the best bits, we had a driver called Michael and his assistant Victor, they were both very welcoming, friendly and very knowledgable. We saw 5 cheetahs who were all brothers had had just made a kill, lions, zebras, buffollo, giraffe, my favorite elephants with babies, we had breakfast by the hippo pool which was amazing just feet away from these huge animals, the pool also had crocodiles. Basically there were to many animals and birds to list.
It was a fantastic safari and has left us wanting more, I would reccommend this to anyone, we travelled with Hayes and Jarvis who organise the whole package, they were brilliant!!

fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member petermLeeds

Stayed at Mara Serena from 16th july.the amount of wildlife we saw was unbievable.We had Samuel and Maureen as our guides and they really made a big effort so we would enjoy our stay they were very knowledgable and very friendly. we have two teenage daughters and both enjoyed themselves only complaint being no television . the lodge is very good and the food really high quality lots of choice.
And the location on top of the hill is fantastic you could see elephants giraffes wildebeast etc from the swimming pool.

We booked our safari with top africa safaris in okundu diani beach and everything was perfect from flights at diani airfield to safaris I would definately recomend them

What a View!!

by TripAdvisor Member malcliz

This was our second stay at this hotel and we would thoroughly recommend it - one of our favourite hotels anywhere. The view in all directions is fantastic. We had a super breakfast by the river whilst watching hippos and crocodiles. We saw so much on our safari rides but the thing that makes this hotel special is the welcome and friendliness of all the staff who give excellent personal service.

Great View

by TripAdvisor Member psrs1

Excellent Lodge.

Good Service. The game viewing is excellent. We saw all but lepoards and rhinos. Would highly recommend. Suggest fly in rather than drive in as can take 8 hours to drive.

How do you introduce a Continent?

by JeSuisJill

"This is a friendly neighborhood in Kenya"

Africa is massive. I think that we forget how large the rest of the world is while we sit in the United States looking at our own lands. Having said that, I flew from the Netherlands to Kenya (which took about 10 hours?). Then had a layover in Nairobi before flying into Mombasa where I was driven for nearly an hour to a beautiful and lush Mara Serena Beach Resort. It WAS LOVELY!

"These childen could be anywhere?"

I look at these faces and I know that its Africa. But am I in South Africa? Kenya? Uganda? Mali? Morocco? New Orleans? New York? You just want to hug and kiss them all.

"The African Sky"

Is this OUR sky? American or British? Australian or Indian? We are ALL the same living in the same world ... the same universe ...

Mara Serena lodge

by IanReid

My wife and I will be visiting Kenya again this year and would be grateful for any views/comments about the Mara Serena lodge as we've seen it from the distance and would like a change from our normal camp in the Mara

Re: Mara Serena lodge

by cduma

I stopped there last year for the 'choo' and some chocolate at their gift shop, during research! It appears very nice, clean, airy, and hospitable. I did not see the actual rooms, but I did 'google' the lodge and see them. I would recommend you do the same.I would choose this lodge over the others in the
Mara.. as it is more distinctive, cultural - not your average 'lodge'. Bon Voyage!

Comments