Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp Nairobi

Archers Post / Samburu National Reserve, Samburu National Reserve 74888, Kenya
Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp
Expedia.com Agoda.com Hotels.com

More about Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp Nairobi

If you have plenty of...

by buzzman2001

If you have plenty of money.it's take your pick..
In Nairobi stay at the Norfolk hotel..or the New Stanley hotel or even the Regency..
in the mara stay at Keekorak or Mara Serena..
in Tsavo..stay at Voi
in Samburu stay at Samburu Lodge
At the beach take your pick..
if you are a backpacker or on a budget ..stay at upper hill campsite in Nairobi..its clean good restaurant lively bar and is a short walk to town..

Samburu National Reserve, at the riverside

by sachara

In Samburu National Reserve we camped two times at the northbank of the Ewaso Nyiro River.

The first night we stayed at the campsite near Archers Post not far from the entrance of the reserve, so we could enter early in the morning for a first game-drive. The Samburu people of the compound nearby guarded the camp.

The second night we stayed at the campsite near Samburu Lodge within the Reserve. Here were a lot of monkeys stealing our bread and also many elephants around. So we hired a guard (500 shilling) to look after our tents and food.

The Samburu lodge itself was very expensive ($ 200 a room). We had a (six course) dinner there for $25. After dinner a guard equipped with gun and flashlamp brought us back to the campsite along the narrow bushpaths. The campsites are very beautifully located with the wildlife all around. The facilities are very basic. There is a water tap. The toilets are just a hole in the ground.

Riverside Dwelling

by Acirfa about Samburu Lodge

Our stay here was tremendous. We had our own rondavel which sat right by the riverside. At one point a warden had to come and chase of an elephant that had come to cause havoc outside our room.

We slept peacefully amongst the wildlife that called out in the night, just as if we lay side by side in bed with them. This truly is a wonderfully situated lodge!

We watched as a cheetah came for his evening meal and enormous storks paraded in the river bed searching for food.

We sipped vodka and tonic whilst physically drinking in everything Africa can feed to the soul. Fantastic wildlife viewing from the rondavels and hotel area. Great Service and good food.
Entertainment included tribal dancing and birdwatching.
I cannot enthuse about our stay enough.

Gorgeous Safari Lodges

by michwladlip about Massai Mara,Sambur and Nakuru Sarova Safari Lodge

When traveling in Kenya safari N.P we stayed in Sarova Safari Lodges it was spacious tents in Masai Mara and stone bungalow in Nakuru, and wood hut in Samburu. In all locations were quin size beds ,big bathroom. The lodges were located on gorgeous environment ,lush vegetation, there were good restaurants, pools, in Samburu lodge that lay on river bank you could see, from your balcony alligators and marabou on river and mass of baboons and vervet monkeys on treas.
When dining in restaurant you could watch on moneys, as they tried and in some cases successful to steel some food from the tables, made short run from tree and forth with their pray, there was special guy that his job was drive away these animals, from restaurant.

Elephants go where they want!

by Ash59

Around Samburu Lodge is a ditch about 3 foot wide and 3 foot deep (1mtr x 1mtr) supposedly put there to stop animals entering into "our" area.

However, nothing stops an elephant, if it wants to get somewhere. This picture shows 3 elephants crossing the Uaso Nyiro River, which runs along side Samburu Lodge. Now, this river contains crocodiles but even they would not be so daft as to attempt to take on a fully grown elephant.

The two elephants at the back could not have been quite grown up enough to take on the inhabitants of the river as the female in front chased them back to the far bank. She came on however. Even though she arrive on our side outside the surrounding ditch, she must have found something of interest in our camp because the next thing that we knew, she was clambering into and then out of the ditch into our camp!

Do you want to know what chased her off (eventually) - a chalet maid throw stones at her (or maybe she just got bored and decided that the hassle wasn't worth what she was interested in - who knows?)

New flats next to the old housesNew flats next to the old houses

A popular Kenyan dishA popular Kenyan dish

The Camel Festival in KenyaThe Camel Festival in Kenya

A school holidayA school holiday

Info Please re Lion World Tours of Toronto, canada

by jab4travel

We are looking to take an African Safari with the above tour operator in Jan/Feb 2006. Wonder if any VT Members have used them and if so any comments pro/con would be appreciated.

Would aslo like your comments on the following: Jacaranda Hotel, Samburu Game Lodge, the Ark Tree Hotel in Kenya, Lake Naburu Lodge,and Mara Simba Lodge.

by baite

I would not comment on Lion world tours but i would comment on the lodges and Hotels.
jacaranda Hotel formerly was known as landmark located on the westlands surbub of Nairobi i would give it a 2-3 star class. The ark is a tree hotel located in the Aberdares National park, samburu lodge is in Samburu National reserve, lake nakuru and Mara simba are 3 star lodges wonderful programme am sure it should be flowing as jacaranda-Samburu-Ark-Nakuru-Mara. Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

by luddinra

I checked out Lion Tours on the web. It sounds very much like the one we are going on with Friendly Planet. Ours is a little longer though but yours is a little cheaper I think. Nit much though. Let me know how it turns out!!!

by alikat24

The Ark is great,went there in 2002,no worries.

by boynextdr

I used Lion World just a short while ago and although I saved a bit on the price - the accommodations were pathetic. Other operators had packages just a bit more and I should have not skimped on an African Vacation. My advice- if you are going to go, do it right and enjoy your time there. You do spend a lot of down time at the lodge and there isn't anywhere else to go...Enjoy Africa!

RE: RE: Info Please re Lion World Tours of Toronto, canada

by luddinra

Where did you actually stay? Did you stay and any of the paces outlined here?

We are already booked for this vacation so I hope it turns out. What would you have done differently?

safari/beach holiday

by jrem2002

we are going to Kenya Nov. we are doing 1 week safari staying at Samburi/mountain lodge/lake nakuri then onto Masai Mara has any one got any advice info on what we are likley to see which are the best, is it worth paying for the balloon flight should we book it before we go or while we are out there? the second week we are staying at the white sands hotel, anyone stayed here?
also the visa tour operator has said do it when we arrive, other people have said do it before we go because there are long queues at the airport. any help or advice would be helpful thanks

by Alkitta

Hi,
I didn't get the question on what are you likely to see. You are likely to see animals, lots of them, and hopefully all the big five. Masai Mara of course is world famous but I had a great trip to Samburu, saw cheetahs etc. I always thought the balloon safari is ridiculously expensive so I never took it but hey if you can afford it, go ahead, they'll serve you champagne afterwards. I have stayed at Whitesands and I liked it, usually the food and service you get in hotels in Kenya is great. Regarding the visa, it depends on how many people arrive at the same time. If you decide to get it at the airport, try to get off the plane quickly and just rush to the visa desk, there are enough signs to show you the way.
Have a great trip!
Cat

Re: Re: safari/beach holiday

by jrem2002

thanks for the advice, yes i know i will see animals on safari, but the ones i want to see are the cats. sorry for not being clearer.

Re: Re: safari/beach holiday

by Alkitta

I was very lucky with cats in Samburu, all of them in fact. Of course they can also be seen in Masai Mara and other parks, and you can go to Samburu and not see any, I think it just depends on your luck.
Happy travels.
Cat

by Rogietlegs

Hi

I was in Kenya about 3 years ago and stayed at Samburu lodge for 2 nights. It was amazing. We saw every animal possible as we had a very good guide. All the big cats and my favourite the elephants. So you should have no worries. Make sure your guide knows about the bait left out in the tree for the leopards, this is along side the river opposite the lodge. We also saw her cubs waiting in the trees!!

At Lake Nukuru they have quite a few animals, although you don't feel as though you are on safari as you can see the fences and the towns not very far away. The lake is famous for its flamingos and white rhino and you will see plenty. We also saw big cats here.

Have a great time!

by LeeUKShrewsbury

Hi I went 2 years ago and I got my visa before hand and was glad I did.

You will have a great time on Safari but at the end of the day it is down to luck on what animals you see. We were lucky and saw the lot, even saw a cheetah make a kill for her 3 cubs, My tip for you is make sure you have a good camera with at least a 300 zoom lenns oh and plenty of film

Good Luck and enjoy, I cant wait to go back The Massi Mara is out of this world