Samburu Serena Safari Lodge

Hotelsclick.com Otel.com

More about Samburu Serena Safari Lodge

Serena Samburu...

by jglenn

Serena Samburu (www.serenahotels.com) Excellent hotel right in the middle of the game reserve. Great food, rooms, pool. Crocodile feeding at night makes a great picture opportunity. Protect your bread at lunch from the sneaky monkeys though. Here's my room, complete with the mosquito net to sleep in.

Kenya Safari

by svillegirl

Asante! Thank you, the people of Kenya for sharing your beautiful country with me.

This was the single most incredible trip of my life. I dragged my long time client and friend Jen with me for this one! Since this was another "work" trip, it was short. Micato Safaris handeled our safari, and they were fantastic! It is no wonder the world's top cruise lines choose them.

Our trip started in Nairobi where we stayed at the Norfolk hotel, a grand hotel with a rich history. Day two took us to the Abadare mountains where we stayed at The Ark.

Then it was off to Sambru where I fell in love with the desert climate. At each location we had twice daily game drives. Samburu Serena Lodge.

Our next day was spent at the Mt. Kenya Safari Club. I would never stay for more than one night here. It is nice, but not my idea of a safari. Most people stop here for a little rest & relaxation.

Finally we were off to the Masai Mara. To say that I felt humbled would be an understatement. The people here were the most friendly, welcoming people I have ever met. The people there have been truly blessed!

We stayed at the Mara Safari Club. This is a luxury tented camp. I had a croc camped out right across the river from me. I found it interesting that they give the right of way to the hippos in the river!

This particular camp uses solar power to heat it's water. For the couple of days that I was here, I didn't have any hot water. I might recommend a camp that heats it's water by some other means.

While the cool showers didn't kill me, it's nice to wash the dust off with warm water!

I really enjoyed going to sleep at night to the sound of the hippos right out side my tent.

Oh....and be sure to zip your tent all-the-way! The tent next to us had a cute little snake in it.

Micato Safaris is a luxury safari outfitter. They stand out of the pack largely impart to their fantastic service. If doing a private safari with them you can have additional game drives for no charge etc. But it is also the little touches: we came back to our tent each night with a little gift on our beds, they were very thoughtful!

Airport RoundaboutAirport Roundabout

Significant documentsSignificant documents

A new built HOUSE to be (1.5 X 3)A new built HOUSE to be (1.5 X 3)

The Slam area of KiberaThe Slam area of Kibera

Apartement Nairobi (urgent)

Hey guys,
Im gonna be in Nairobi in a week (!) and my accommodation plans were just cancelled.
Im looking for an apartement that I could rent for 1-2 weeks. Preferably in the area Westlands or perhaps around Yaya center. Ive checked the internet but most things I find seem more expensive then i can afford (100$ or more per night for a 1 bedroomed apartement)
Does anybody have any cheaper suggestions for a 1 bedroomed apartement on such short notice?

by Odinnthor

As well as I used to know Kenya, (see my Kenya page), I am just bookmarking this quiery, as I would like to see what answers you get. I need updated information on availability of reasonable apartments Hope you don't mind....d:o)

by tembofan

Please be very careful. I expect you will receive messages from people offering help but do be wary. Your top priority must be security so ensure the compound has top notch askaris and you have adequate security on doors and windows.

This company has a good reputation but probably not as cheap as you wanted.

by niyagi

Hi Odinnthor, I defenitely dont mind. :) Hope you we both get some info :-)

Thank you Tembofan, yes I defenitely placed that as my first priority. I lived there for some years and have friends there willing to check it out before i make any decisions.
Odinnthor, if they find anything ill post it as well, that way you still get the info.

by niyagi

Thank you tembofan, its a very interesting website with a lot of offers.
Ive just mailed them, hope something affordable comes out of it.

by Odinnthor

Thank you nyaki. Hope it works out for you. Just be careful and watch your back.....d:o)

by sphynxxs

A friend of mine stayed at Hibiscus guesthouse recently and recommended it as a very friendly and safe place with great management and family like atmosphere. It is not an apartment, but you can have a private room, either with shared or ensuite bathroom. There is also a garden, and it is close to Yaya - between Argwing Kodhek and Ngong Road, so you also have good public transport to the city center should you need it, and there are a number of nice restaurants closeby. not sure this is what you are looking for, but it should fit into your budget. They have a website which you might either google or I can find it at some expat directory here. I donĀ“t know of similar places in Westland, they have serviced apartments there, but posh and expensive

Travel Tips for Nairobi

Houses where Poor People Stay

by greekcypriot

The man who arranged for my Mission trip - a very humble man, took us to his house, however we arranged that we stay with his brother who is well off.

People like Nicholas who cannot afford a real house, rent rooms actually.
These little rooms are neat and clean but really very poor. They are seperated by a huge white piece of cloth hanging from the ceiling reaching the floor, and they use the back space for a place to sleep. It is actually a small bench.
In the entrance they have one or two very small armchairs, and a small sofa. They cook outside. (See the photos).

They are happy and love life, strive for a better life.
What they really ask from us? .....Not to forget them!

Kiswahili -

by Squinchez

Although widely speaking and second official language besides kiswahili, not all Kenyans are able to communicate in english, especially those who are illetrate. Knowing some phrases in swahili, which is in Kenya coloquially called kiswahili, might help you alot.

jambo = hello
Mimi=me
nipe=Give me

Memorial Park

by husain

The memorial park in downtown Nairobi marks the spot where the US embassy once stood.
Over 200 people died that day, in August 1998, when a bomb blast caused extensive damage and loss of life. There were simultaneous terrorist attacks on the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.
The park has a monument that bears the names of all the people that lost their lives that day.

The site is right by one of Nairobi's most busy areas and on hindsight, you may wonder how such a sensitive building stood here. Though of course at the time, the security threat perceptions were not the same as today...

Comments