Kisumu Hotels

• Mel64 profile photo Mel64
  • Reviews: 2

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Vic Hotel: The best hotel in Kisumu

I stayed at The Vic Hotel in the last week of April 2012, since this was the second time I was staying, I was familiar with the facilities. The most important issues for me are always the bed and the bathroom and both passed the muster as 5 star. The service was good, right from the reception, the porters, the waiters and the house keepers. In a well secured premises The Vic has an excellent conference facility, bar, restaurant, gym and swimming pool needless to say considering the exorbitant rates charged by hotels in a relative category, I strongly recommend The Vic Hotel.
Focusing on its centralized location The Vic is recommended to both tourist and business travelers.

The Vic has a lovely blue outdoor swimming pool adjacent to the restaurant "Mon Ami Too" where I usually enjoy their delicious pizza and burgers. The hotel is located within the Mega City which also hosts a bank, hyper market, boutiques, salons, travel agents, etc and is diagonally opposite the Kisumu Museum ensuring reliable security and ample parking. The very fact that the hotel is away from the main road will assure you a splendid sleep experience.

• Related to: Business Travel
  • Written May 18, 2012
Tip Photo

Excellent .... The Vic Hotel

• valve profile photo valve
  • Reviews: 3

Sunset Hotel: Great Location

I selected this hotel on arrival at Kissumu airport on 27th Dec and stayed four days . It is a little to south of the town centre in a pleasant neighbourhood of big private houses. It is easy to get a tuk tuk or or a motorbike into town for 50 shillings.it is about a 15 minute walk.
The hotel is facing westwards towards the lake so gets the sunsets as per the name. The hotel was built in the 70s and it looks it from the outside. Likewise the rooms are a blast from the past and everything is pretty worn looking . The big plus is the friendly service and the general cleanliness of the place.The grounds are heavily wooded and private.There is a small pool with a bar that was clean and seemed kid free in the early morning up to about 10. There is a nice bar and the restuarant area is clean and is serves a small but comprehensive menu.There was a good selection at the buffet breakfast and the chefs appeared at intervals to check that everything was topped up and warm.The management has changed recently and the new team are pulling the stops out to restore the name of the place.
5 star it ain't but if you are looking for a bit of quiet in clean surroundings with attentive and friendly service this is the place.

Service

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Family Travel, Seniors, Safari
  • Written January 2, 2012

• rafikikenya profile photo rafikikenya

Mountain View resort Kisumu: Kisumu,s best resort for money

Had a surprisingly pleasant, comfortable and cheap stay in Kisumu at mountain View resort. Very homely, nice staff and very ideal for family stay or people who like a quiet country side setting. Open grounds and rather cheap, paid only Kshs 1000 for bed and breakfast.

Great rooms, all ensuite, hot water, lovely gardens, good mountain breeze. Owner managing.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, School Holidays
  • Written August 24, 2010

• ricro profile photo ricro

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sooper Guesthouse: Good Value Hotel but Insecure

I locked my own and my friends' money/passports/ cameras and mp3 players in a drawer in room 33. I kept the drawer key in my pocket at all times. The room front door was locked and the balcony (key in inside lock). We discovered we had been robbed after the maid had cleaned in the morning. There were no signs of a breakin and both locks were relocked afterwards.
I spoke to the manager who was away in Mombasa and arranged for his brother in law to come (an hour and a half later). There was no hint of an apology and no follow up after the incident despite me writing a detailed report. In future I would just call ythe police immediately. I thought the management could be trusted to inform us of any further developments.
As we were reporting our loss to the duty receptionist a guest form down the hall confirmed he had also lost a large amount of money from his locked room the evening before. The staff claimed a Tanzanian guest had left early the night before and assumed it was he who stole from us. My supicions lie with the staff.
In this instance we lst over 8,000 kshs and US$350 (travellers cheques) plus 2 digital cameras and mp3 players. The thief ignored passports and a large camera (needed somewhere flat to hide stolen goods?)
I locked my own and my friends' money/passports/ cameras and mp3 players in a drawer in room 33. I kept the drawer key in my pocket at all times. The room front door was locked and the balcony (key in inside lock). We discovered we had been robbed after the maid had cleaned in the morning. There were no signs of a break in and both locks were relocked afterwards.
As we were reporting our loss to the duty receptionist a fellow guest from down the hall confirmed he had also lost a large amount of money (11,000 kshs.) from his locked room the evening before. The staff claimed a Tanzanian guest had left early the night before and assumed it was he who stole from us. My suspicions lie with the staff.
In this instance we lost over 8,000 kshs and US$350 (travellers cheques) plus 2 digital cameras and 2 mp3 players. The thief ignored passports and a large camera (needed somewhere flat to hide stolen goods?).
UNSATISFACTORY FOLLOW UP IN MY OPINION AND NO WAY I CAN RECOMMEND THIS PLACE UNTIL SECURITY IS SORTED OUT. THE HOTEL IS ADEQUATE AND HAS A GOOD ROOF BALCONY BUT LOCK YOU ROOM WITH YOUR OWN PADLOCK AND STAY IN THE ROOM WHILE IT IS BEING SERVICED.

A good roof terrace.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written August 6, 2010

• Kaarina profile photo Kaarina
  • Reviews: 26

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Sunset: view over lake Victoria

Sometimes we stayed in the Sunset Hotel in Kisumu. There were nice rooms and a lovely view over lake Victoria. In downstairs there were a restaurant, too.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written September 26, 2009
Tip Photo

Peter on balkong in front of Lake Victoria

• Kaarina profile photo Kaarina
  • Reviews: 26

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Nyanza Club: Lovely decorated rooms

We (my husband and my son 6 years) spent many weekends in that club. Besides of the rooms there is a usual swimmingpool and area around that to sunbathe, a restaurant, a tennis field and so on... I liked the place mainly because I liked the rooms (we lived in one wholly blue room) and lovely sun near swimmingpool.

• Related to: Family Travel, Food and Dining
  • Written September 26, 2009

• ckhasina profile photo ckhasina

Jumuia Kisumu: Kisumu's Best Hotel

Jumuia Kisumu offered the discerning leisure travel and a relaxed, comfortable environment with emphasis on quality and services. The resort offered convenient access to the major business centers in Nyanza Province and offered personlaized service.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written August 12, 2008

• muguruki profile photo muguruki
  • Reviews: 491

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sooper guest house: Secure, clean and cheap

Sooper is super, would head straight back there if I were going to Kisumu again. Only reason I ended up there was because Razbi's round the corner was full. Clean, efficient, reasonable price.

Walking distance to all important things in Kisumu like a couple of good boozers!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written August 5, 2008

• Waxbag profile photo Waxbag
  • Reviews: 596

Razbi Guest House: Good budget accomodation in Kisumu

This place is located in a secure part of town, important because Kisumu has problems after dark. We could park our car out front without any problems. A night watchman watched it during the night. The rooms are clean ans spacious and come with linen and towels. The shared showers and bathrooms are clean and with hot water. There is a restaurant that serves basic but cheap meals. Try the nile perch. The staff is friendly.

350 KSH per room