Lake Naivasha Hotels

• Waxbag profile photo Waxbag
  • Reviews: 596

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Fisherman's Camp: Nice but busy campground on Lake Naivasha

Located on the southern shore of Lake Naivasha on perhaps one of the worst roads in East Africa is the quaint but spacious Fisherman's Camp. There is plenty of green grass and shade form the tall trees. Avoid camping next to any city folk from Nairobi. They will be bring loads of beer and be really obnoxious. Watch our food and keep you vehicle close as vervet monkey lurk.

100KSH per person for camping
tent rental possible
dorms available for 200KSH
Bar and restaurant opened until late

Camp ground is right on the lake and is a great place for watching birds. Convieniently located near Hell's Gate National Park.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Camping, Birdwatching, Photography
  • Written June 27, 2007

White egret

• Tallchick80 profile photo Tallchick80
  • Reviews: 75

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Lake Naivasha Country Club: Lake Naivasha- Going, Going.......

This is the only place in Lake Naivasha that I can recommend staying at. It's a secure compound with guards that constantly survey the property.

If you are lucky enough, you can witness the lake wildlife who like to come onto the large grassy lawn of the country club and feast. Hippos and waterbucks ease onto the lawn and carelessly eat as people look on (from a safe distance)

Lake Naivasha country club does offer dining facilities and shops where you can buy necessities, the food was okay, but not the best I had while I was in Kenya.

Right on Lake Naivasha and it's very secure and safe.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Birdwatching, National/State Park, Safari
  • Written April 4, 2007

Dock at Lake Naivasha

• Zanzibargirl profile photo Zanzibargirl
  • Reviews: 354

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Fisherman's Campsite: Camping with Hippo

Fancy camping with one of the most dangerous critter's in the world? Quite a few of my fellow travellers answer to this question was an absolute "No" as they upgraded to the dorms that the campsite also has nearby. Me however, I was not swayed by this experience of a lifetime. From me it was a big "hell YES!!!". How often do you get the chance to pull up stumps somewhere and have hippo's wander past your tent in the night?

I remember waking for a must needed pee during the night, unzipping my tent and "hello" there he is, right under the light munching away at the grass. Needless to say my need to pee was somewhat reduced, though I still braved the walk to the loo's (thankfully slightly in the other direction).

By the third night, visits from our friend who we thus named "Victor" and his other friends (at one stage there were 3 roaming less than a couple of metres from my tent) became normal to us. Thankfully no one got trod on (as I had heard had happened on a previous tour), and the hippos became part of the furniture. Ok, it sounds kinda crazy, but I will never forget it... It is something that I never would have ever thought I would have done this lifetime, and may never do again.

Located on the southern side of the lake, pitching your tent here costs $3 US a day per person. Nearby there is a market, and you can also hire bikes at $7 US and ride to nearby Hells Gate or bargain your price on a cruise on the Lake itself to get close to those hippo's in the water. There is also plenty of market stalls with some great African Art to bargain your price on and a nearby restaurant, dorm rooms for those scaredy cats and pool.

The most unique thing about it of course is the friendly night guests, Victor the Hippo and friends....

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Camping, Adventure Travel
  • Written December 21, 2004

Our tents, & you can see Victor in the background

• grets profile photo grets
  • Reviews: 3429

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Lake Naivasha Country Club: Colonial ambience and romantic lakeside setting

At the time we visited, the hotel was known as Lake Hotel, now it is called Lake Naivasha Country Club. In the 1930s there were papyrus thatched chalets here, now the rooms are of a much more substantial, but has not lost any of its charm. The hotel is right on the lake shores, situated in 55 acres of beautifully landscaped grounds. We stayed in a small chalet in amongst the trees with a veranda overlooking the lake.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Safari
  • Written December 9, 2004

Our room

• tompt profile photo tompt
  • Reviews: 2523

Lake Naivasha Country Club: where chinese ministers have lunch

We stayed here for one night. Starting with a lunch, which is served in the garden every sunday. That sunday a chinese minister came for lunch here, the security was fierce, and there were cameras everywhere.
After lunch we relaxed in the garden and on the shores of Lake Naivasha. The buffet style dinner was good.

Lake Naivasha Country Club opened in 1937. It was a staging post for Imperial Airways' flying boat service from Durban to London. It is still has a colonial style.

The Country Club has a swimming pool, a children playground, boathire, birdwalks and a snookerroom next to the bar.

• Opinion of Price: N/A