4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Costs 100% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Fairmont Mara Safari Club

masai mara luxury tents

by joolssss about Mara Safari club

these are not tents like you would exext. They are huge five star tents based on a cncrete plinthe overlooking the river Mara full of hipo's! each tent has its own marble bathroom with toilet and shower. The staff bend over backwards to make your saty wonderful. The food is incredible and you really would never believe how amazing his place is! The views of the hippos are awesome we also saw a bushbuck and a monitor lizard from our balcony. At 6 30 am you are woken up for your first game drive with a cup of hot chocolate and cookies! at night when you are out eating your five course meal ( try the impala its gorgeous!) they come and put hot water bottles in your bed! you also get a fresh bottle of water every day put in the bathroom.

Great Kenya Safari experience

by cjs703 about Mara Safari Club

I've never been on a Safari tour before, so I can't compare my stay to anything else, but the Mara Safari Club was great. The accomodations are in 'luxery tents'. If you have a picture of a Coleman with a few tent poles then you have the wrong idea. These are basically hotel room sized tents with electricity. My tent had 2 pretty large beds that each had mosquitto nets for nighttime mosquitto protection. The shower's had hot water, but sometimes it took several minutes for it to run to your tent depending on how far away you were from the water tower. My tent ended up being at the far end of camp, so it took about 10-15 minutes to walk to the main building. That wasn't really a problem, might as well get some good walking in. The safari guides were extremely knowledgable, and very easy to get along with. We were able to get very close to Lions, Cheetah's, Rhino's, etc. The camp is located right next to the river, and a large amount of Hippo's gather nearby. One thing that I highly recommend if you go on a Safari tour is to bring binoculars, you will get alot more out of it. Bring that and a camera and you are good to go. This camp also offers a day tip to Lake Victoria by plane where you have the opportunity to go fishing. When you return the cooks will even cook your fish for you and serve it to you at dinner. It's a day long trip, and from what I remember it was sort of expensive (around $500). If you have the extra cash it may be worth it if you don't plan on being back in Kenya any time soon. The camp has their own airstrip, so it's not difficult to get there by plane. I flew out of Nairobi on a Friday afternoon and returned Sunday morning which was enough time for 5 game drives. I think that is good enough to get a full Safari experience. If you plan on doing the Lake Victoria trip I would add an extra day to that. If you need to call someone, bring a GSM phone and ask to be taken to the mobile phone spot just outside the camp entrance. It seems to be the only place a signal can be acquired.

I thought The Ark was a great...

by svillegirl

I thought The Ark was a great concept, but it is very bare bones! The walls are pretty thin and you can hear every noise out side of your room. If there has been a lot of rain in the area, you may not get to see as many animals as you could when it has been dry and the animals are forced to come to the water hole. It's a roll of the dice what you will see. There can be some great photo opps at night but you really need to have a tripod; they do use flood lights, but you will still need a slow shutter speed.

I loved the little cabins at the Samburu Serena! In the evenings we had a view of the leopard stand, where they put food out for them. It was fantastic to watch the leopard feed!

My other favorite place was the tented Mara Safari Club. This is nothing like my tent back home! Our tent had the largest shower out of any place we had been to in Kenya! The camp is located on a bend in the Mara River and you have great views of the Hippos and crocs!
We took a tour, and all hotels, and most all meals were included in the price. I wouldn't want to take a trip like this on my own. The biggest reason why not? The guides! I found that the Micato Safari guides knowledge and experience amazing. They could tell by the behavior of certain animals what predators were near by. They also know where animals tend to hang out in the game reserves. Why would anyone want to take a trip like this as an independent travler? There is too much you could miss.

Hippos galore!

by smiffy11family about Mara safari club

5 star tented accommodation in a superb setting on the banks of the Mara river. The tents line the riverbank on an oxbow of the Mara. There is a full shower and loo, plus 4 poster beds- amazing but dont' let this put you off, this was also very close to nature, with monkeys crashing about in the trees, bush babies on the roof of our tent and hippos and crocs just the other side of the verandah. A wonderful restaurant, a log fire where you can sit and listen to a resident naturalist give talks and on alternate nights a masai who tells you all about life in a boma. Beautifully landscaped within the grounds. There are masai who guard the grounds, complete with spears. You can organise a hot air balloon ride from here, a must do. We came out of the gate on our first safari and a lioness crossed our path , just yards from the entrance. The guides were helpful and informative and respected the wildlife. We saw 4 of the big 5 just missing out on the elusive leopard. Take ear plugs if you are a light sleeper, those hippos are a noisy bunch. We flew in from an airfield near Diani Beach and the small aircraft takes you to the mara safari hotels own airstrip where a jeep is waiting for you. You are greeted with hot towels and mango juice plus very friendly staff.

Evenings are generally spent...

by svillegirl

Evenings are generally spent relaxing and talking about the days game drives. After two adrenaline pumping game drives (each day!) I found myself pleasantly exausted.
At some of the lodges they will have a educational talk in the evenings. At the Mara Safari club, ours was done by a local Mara tribal elder, Ben. I found the most important part of my wardrobe was my insect repellent! DO NOT LEAVE HOME (or tent) WITH OUT IT!

All he needs is a crown......All he needs is a crown......

She's off.....She's off.....

Small herd of watchful Wildebeest.Small herd of watchful Wildebeest.

Cape Buffalo.Cape Buffalo.

Mara Hippo Safari Lodge

by Pollyanna1

Has anyone stayed here? - I would be interested to hear what it's like.

by celly4me

Hi

you don't want to go there believe me,was there a few years back and it was just terrible,the rooms were dirty and out of order,the food horrible and the safari buses for the game drived were very old and always breaking down.

the funniest thing about this is nothing much has changed now.

by Pollyanna1

How do you know nothing has changed if you haven't stayed there for several years?? If possible I would prefer comment from people who have been registered a little longer and include their details in their profiles....call me sceptical!

by sarahskinner

Admitedly I have not stayed there but have visited the Mara 5 times in the last two years and each time have noticed the terrible state of their Safari vehicles (assuming this is the same lodge that I am aware of called Mara Safari Club/Lodge?). Unfortunately the vehicles are in such a bad state they are unable to turn the engines off during sightings for fear they will not restart.... which is really intrusive for the animals and also other visitors. I can only hope that there is another lodge with a similar name and that if you have booked you will have a pleasant suprise and a great trip...but this is my experience of the vehicles used by Mara Safari Club/lodge.Hope that helps....not sure when you are planning to go, if soon you be lucky to see the migration that has started coming near the river to cross. I am there is 2 weeks and hope to catch it in full swing.

by sarahskinner

Hi Again...I think I have managed to figure out this is a different camp to the one I was aware of - see last reply (its just a very similar name) therefore I cannot comment on this camp or its vehicles. The best thing to check is: 1. How many people in vehicle, 2. can drives be personalised (i.e all day drives) Personally if you have not booked I would always opt for a tented camp as you get more immersed into the area..listen to the animals call at night etc. The tented camps are often more luxurious than lodges to!

by kagwanja

hi there am sure that you dint get the real picture of the two camps Mara safari club is one of the top most rated tented camps in the mara.While mara hippo is a middle class tented camp . They have bought new vans and alot has been done in terms renovations idont know how there food is thogh it had a bad reputation before check ther web nice stay

seek a safari

by roypott

Hi
We're planning to visit amboseli & mara reserves for our honeymoon in September.
Can anyone recommend any lodges to stay in on either reserve & advise what the quality of them is like ?

Thanks

by robine

On local advice, I stayed at the Mara Serena Safari Lodge, which was very good. You can check out options at www.tripadvisor.com.

by safardreams

hi there-great your going over there. amboseli-i am always camping at the public camp sites. but a good friend from boston is always going over there-more than me haha. she is there right now. there is a place she always stays at while at amboseli. when she gets back-will ask her what place.
now the mara- again i always camp along the talek river-around the corner from the talek gate.
but there is a good camp called: BASE CAMP, on top of the talek river. huge tents,good food, good people, good drivers. also-wont break your bank.
if you want-email me i can give you my regular tour ops info in kenya.i have been using her this will be the 5th time now.
sept is a pretty good time-all the migration animals should still be in the mara.
i am going to kenya again in march- but to tsavo east. i was in the mara this past oct.
cheers, d

by cherrybug

We stayed at Fig Tree Lodge which we found excellent. It's based on the banks of the Talek river. See my accomodation tip on my masai mara travel page for further info. Enjoy, the Mara is just magical.

RE: RE: seek a safari

by safardreams

hi, funny you mention fig-tree. we had to tow a truck back there in oct. they ran out of gas. my driver knows those guys there.not the first time we stopped in there.
cheers, d

by chefwest

If you're looking for a nice place in the Mara, Fairmont Hotels recently took over managment of several hotels in Kenya. Nairobi's Norfolk Hotel, the Mount Kenya Safari Club, the Aberdare Country Club, the Ark and the Mara Safari Club.
I haven't stayed at any of these, but I know Fairmont.

best lodge for hooneymoon

by jmanter

hello travelers, eager to know what are the best lodges in the masai mara for just married, we are planning to stay 4-5 days in safari. No matter the range of price, we will see in order of your suggestions.

Thanks you all, all info is wellcoming.

Also may contact me by email caco_m@hotmail.com

by ROHOSAFI

Hi,
MASAI MARA National park is Kenya’s most famous and most visited game reserve. Open savannahs, rolling grasslands and undulating hills sets the scene for the splendour of the Mara. July to September sees the annual migration of wildebeests, zebras and gazelles from the plains of the Serengeti. Driven by dry conditions in the Serengeti and led by the lightning and thunder to the north, huge herds of mammals cross the Tanzanian border and rivers to reach the Mara's grasslands.
The following are the names of the longes I can reccomend you to choose from and am sure your honeymoon will be the best for both of you.

1.Mara Sarova Camp
16.Mpata Safari Club
17.Bateleur Camp
18.Little Governors Camp
19.Governors Camp

Wish you all the best and have yourselves a very nice holiday.
RSafi.

by jmanter

wow! first of all thanks 4 ur reply.....but let me tell u something, the more the choices your wrote, the more confused I turned :)

Please listed the three better in price, facilities and games.

We will really appreciate it!

RE: best lodge for hooneymoon

by Appledene

Hello,

Just got back from Masai Mara. Although there are many types of accomodation, some teneted seem to have an edge on the lodges for luxury. Prices for luxury tents are steep.

As for lodges, there are 2 good ones, which have better rooms, food, service & ambience. These are the Keekorok & Mara Serena. We stayed at Keekorok 2 weeks ago, and it was faultless. Our Guide told us that only the Mara Serena, was better that the Keekorok in terms of lodges.

As for tented accomodation - I am unsure but a bit of internet research may help. Otherwise we used a kenya based travel agent who was very good.
Her contact is mantra@africaonline.co.ke

Hope this is useful.

by ROHOSAFI

Hello,
Its true that it is difficult to choose from the numerous options I gave you. Anyway I can reccomend you to choose from the following:
Mara Intrepids Lodge, Governors private camp, Mara Serena Lodge or Mara Safari Club.
I hope you'll have a nice time.
All the Best.
Kwaheri!! (Goodbye)
RSafi.

RE: best lodge for hooneymoon

by Nairobi75

Hey,

This site may be of help www.magicalkenya.com

Regards,