Masai Mara Game Reserve Hotels

Our Members Say

• Natalie_Infinite profile photo Natalie_Infinite
  • Reviews: 5

Crocodile Camp: Cheap campsite Massai Mara

We had our own vehicle and spent 4 nights in Crocodile Camp outside the Massai Mara (litterally 200 m from the gate which is so much cheaper) and hired than for the game drive a woman massai guide from Crocodile Camp. I have been all over Africa in many many safaris but I can say that the Massai Mara with the private guidance of this girl was the best safari experience I ever had!

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written January 19, 2013

• Africancrab profile photo Africancrab
  • Reviews: 341

Fairmont Mara Safari Club: Great Game Viewing Deck

Mara Safari Club is one of the premier Safari Accommodations in Kenya. The deluxe Mara Safari Club is situated in the Ol-Choro Oiroua Conservation Area at the foot of the Aitong Hills. It is surrounded by the Masai Mara Game Reserve and the three sides of the club are neighbored by the Mara River making it the ideal Tented Safari camp in the African wilderness. I stayed at the camp during a Travel Consultants retreat in 2002 and was amazed that each tent actually had a shower with running hot water. Very comfortable beds, great service and nothing beats the sound of nature at night.

There is a viewing deck from which you can see hippos, crocodiles and other animals. It is by the Aitong Hills.

It is a little on the expensive side but you will get your money’s worth. It has 50 tents most of which have twin beds, warm showers and mosquito nets to keep of the deadly African mosquitoes. The Club has a dining room is the main building made of wood beams and glass. The high-ceilinged, spacious dining room where we dinned on each of the three nights we were at the club.

We did enjoy two game drives and a visit to the Masai village

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: National/State Park, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written December 31, 2012

• samitbabu profile photo samitbabu
  • Reviews: 81

Masai Mara : Nyumbu Camp: Masai Mara : Nyumbu Camp

The Nyumbu Camp is situated in the interior of Masai Mara, the area after the Talek Gate and is very near the Game viewing areas. It is about 7 kms from the Talek Gate market Area.

We went in November 1st week , with the short rains and had to cross a few water enundated areas.

The Camp has a small Brook on the backside. With an hours rain the Brook completely transformed itself toa stream.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Jungle and Rain Forest, Safari
  • Written November 14, 2011

Nymbu Camp : Zebras and Gazelles in the background

• pfsmalo profile photo pfsmalo
  • Reviews: 1363

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mara Sentrim.: Could be better.

The Mara Sentrim was definitely better than the Sentrim in Amboseli. The room was much nicer and the staff were at the same very good level. What lets the Sentrim chain down is the food. Although not bad, there just isn't the choice of other lodges we stayed in.

• Written December 17, 2010

View of a bedroom.

• chrissyms profile photo chrissyms
  • Reviews: 23

Mara Serena Lodge: Top Class

We spent two nights in this Lodge and it was our first on the Safari. It certainly set the standards high. The welcome and check in were profesional and friendly. The rooms were very clean and tidy with warm and friendly decorations. Mosquito nets were strung over the beds. The lodge was set high on a hill overlooking the game park. Food was excellant with a good variety for all meals. The staff were at all times attentive and helpfull.

Set high above the Masai Mara with an good view of the plans below.

• Related to: Birdwatching, National/State Park, Safari
  • Written September 2, 2010

Unique Style

• easterntrekker profile photo easterntrekker
  • Reviews: 2084

Sarova Mara Game Camp: A Permanent tented Lodge

Sarova Mara Game Camp
Just inside the gate of the Maasai Mara National Park is our lodge. It’s laid out like a camp with a main building housing the reception area, gift shop, restaurant and bar. Out room is in a tent. This is a tent like no other we’ve ever seen. The bathroom has granite counter tops and a huge shower. There are gorgeous hardwood floors and a comfortable King size bed. We enjoyed listening to the animal sounds during the night . the only drawback is there is no net over the bed. We brought ours and I think it would be really important during the rainy season.

• Related to: Safari, Seniors, Backpacking
  • Written April 2, 2010

• Suet profile photo Suet
  • Reviews: 401

Mara Serena Hotel: Mara Serena

This was our first time at the Mara Serena. This is part of the chain of luxury hotels/lodges. We had previously stayed at Kilaguni several times, but this was quite different.

The rooms look particularly ugly from the outside, somehow out of place with the Mara, looking distinctly man made. I would have preferred the traditional reed/grass roof and of a colour that blended into the background.

Inside, however, the rooms are charming. Lots of masai beading, hidden lighting and curvy decorations.

Before the electric fence was erected, two zebra galloped through the lobby hotly pursued by a lioness. The dozy tourists wandering around the lobby looking at the shop, decorations etc completely missed thunder of hooves and the zoom of a lioness. Staff with any presence of mind vaulted the reception desk or the bar top and hid. Tourists were left scrabbling for their cameras and missed the whole thing. One zebra took a flying leap and landed in the swimming pool. It took the staff 2 hours to get it out. It was somewhat shell shocked, but very clean. No one knew what happened to the other zebra or lioness.

Personal experience: Hubby and I were tired after 2 mornings of getting up at 2am our time to go on a game drive so we decided on a snooze after breakfast. A lovely morning, we left the windows open. Having been reading *Maneaters of the Kumaon by Jim Corbett* I was slightly twitchy and acutely aware of a thumpy noise and the feeling of being watched. I cracked an eye open to see a great big male baboon in the room. I shrieked at hubby who sat up and said *go away*. Feeling that the baboon neither knew English nor was properly intimidated by the mild tone I jumped up, waved my arms and danced on the bed doing a superb Lion Roar impression. The baboon started shrieking as well, grabbed my packet of earplugs and the hotel bill and disappeared as I chucked a cushion at it.

The whole dozy latemorning camp was in turmoil, like a kicked ant's nest. Staff running around, Masai warriors, spears agleam, jumping up to vantage points to search further, panicked guests, cameras at the ready, peering from behind trees and their barstools inquiring querelously *have you seen the lion?* I must admit, I felt quite proud of my lion roar impression.

The gardener rushed up to see if we were alright, retrieved the cushion, the earplugs and the bill (I had a sneaking suspicion that the baboon was not going to pay it) and handed it all back to me. *Keep the windows closed Madame* he said wearily to me. So I did.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Safari, Birdwatching, National/State Park
  • Written January 8, 2010

The rooms at Mara Serena

• georeiser profile photo georeiser
  • Reviews: 2054

Safari camps in Oloolaimutia: Safari camps in Oloolaimutia

Oloolaimutia village has 2-3 different safari camps where tourists stay overnight. The camp is right outside the fenc, but the close distance from the park entry to the village makes this a good base camp. A lodge inside the park will cost the safari companies several times more than just a basic campground.

• Related to: National/State Park, Adventure Travel, Safari
  • Written October 5, 2009

Safari camps in Oloolaimutia, Masai Mara

• georeiser profile photo georeiser
  • Reviews: 2054
Safari Butchery and Hotel: Safari Butchery and Hotel

Safari Butchery and Hotel in Oloolaimutia village is maybe not a place where tourists stay when they are on safari. But this hotel is frequently used by kenyan drivers when it's not more space in the safari camps. Oloolaimutia village is the last stop before the national camp, and is also the largest masai community in the Masai Mara area.

• Related to: National/State Park, Budget Travel, Safari
  • Written October 4, 2009

Safari Butchery and Hotel

• flyrubi profile photo flyrubi
  • Reviews: 27

Mara Serena Safari Lodge.: Three fantastic, unique retreats in Masai Mara

Concealed deep within the Masai Mara National Reserve, the Mara Serena Safari Lodge is the ultimate safari destination. Set high on a bush-cloaked hill, embraced by arcing vistas and washed by a sea of richly rolling grasslands, it stands centre-stage to one of Africa ’s most dramatic wildlife arenas and has a ringside seat for the greatest wildlife show on Earth, the legendary migration of the wildebeest.

Drawing its inspiration from the traditional Maasai cultural motif of a cluster of domed, mud-coloured huts encircled by a “Boma” of brushwood, the Mara Serena offers a rare blend of raw African splendor and sumptuous sophistication. The essentially ethnic décor also draws on a vibrant colour-palette of sun-burst colours, embellished by a unique selection of Maasai art to create the look and feel of a traditional bush encampment. The lodge features individual rooms, each with their own balcony and view of eternity, a sky-blue swimming pool and a spectacular restaurant, overlooking a water hole where a fantasia of creatures collect to drink.

• Related to: Safari, Photography, Family Travel
  • Written May 28, 2008

Mara Serena Safari Lodge

• dgines profile photo dgines
  • Reviews: 250

Mara Porini Camp: First Class Safari

If you thought safari meant sleeping on the floor of a tent and eating beans for dinner, you will be delighted to find this diamond in the rough.

The Mara Porini Camp is located about 18 km from the game reserve on the Ol Kinyei Conservatory--a pristine wilderness with open savannah plains, springs, rivers, rolling hills, and spectacular views across the reserve.

The camp itself has 6 guest tents with indoor plumbing (flush toilet, sink and shower--you can have a hot shower on request! ) There is also solar powered lighting in the tent and you can ask the staff if you have a camera battery or GPS you need charged on their generator. Each tent has a double and single bed to accommodate up to 3 persons.

The food is excellent complete with fresh made bread and fruits. Hot dinners and breakfast as well as picnic lunches.

Nature walks right on the conservatory with authentic Masai guides.

Eco friendly accommodations!

4x4 safari in the Reserve

Authentic send off from the many Masai employed by the camp.

** Ensure your reservations match what the camp has upon arrival. There were several discrepancies when I was there. **

• Written November 15, 2007

• Pollyanna1 profile photo Pollyanna1
  • Reviews: 26

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mara Hippo Safari Lodge: You have been warned!

We arrived at the end of our first full day in Kenya following the long drive to the Mara from Nairobi and a late afternoon game drive, to find they had overbooked and there was no room available for us. Tired and with our son in tow we waited patiently for 2 hours at reception while our driver tried to sort the problem out, but to no avail. I am sure other parents can imagine how we started to feel stuck miles from anywhere at night with no room for the night and nowhere else to go. There was also another couple who also did not have a room and the lady was ill, she was just sitting in reception wrapped in a blanket! Not one member of staff from the lodge had the courtesy to come and speak to us let alone apologise. I finally lost patience walked into the managers office and unleashed my wrath.....something I have never done while travelling.
Eventually at well past 10pm they took us to a nearby campsite, where we stayed in a tent for the night!
We had no alternative than to spend the next 2 nights back at the Hippo. There was no electricity for 2 days, the food was cold, the swiming pool was nearly empty, the sink and toilet leaked and flooded the bathroom completely. If you went to request things to be fixed you had to join a queue of people complaining at reception! We don't have inflated expectations whilst travelling in Africa, yes the power goes off, the water is cold, but this was well below the standard of accomodation and treatment we had paid for - this was supposed to be the comfort ahead of camping for the majority of the rest of the trip.
The Maasai Mara is fantastic and the game drives out of this world, but to be honest in my opinion you would be better camping than staying here. Our travelling companions to the Mara stayed at a campsite 2 minutes from the lodge and had a bed, hot water, electricity and hot food every night!
I don't like to have to post such a negative tip, but I really wouldn't want anyone else to go through what we went through that first evening.

The location is very close to the gate into the Mara approx 5 - 10 min drive.

• Related to: Safari, Adventure Travel, Photography
  • Written September 20, 2007

• myrjon profile photo myrjon
  • Reviews: 1

Sarova Masai Mara: Sarova Mara Camp is all out luxury

I stayed at the Mara lodge in July and my stay was FABULOUS. From the moment I was greeted by a Masai warrior with a eucalyptus infused towel I knew I was in for a treat. the lodge was beautiful but and service was SUPERB. The Lodge Manager, Ken Korir, even makes a point to greet and get to know guests. I travel extensively. I've lived in Egypt, hail from the US and have lived in New York city for over 15 years. I am somewhat of a hotel connoiseur and this was the highlight of a month long East African trip. Unfortunately I can not say the same for the Sarova Pan Afric which I would avoid at ALL COSTS. This is the crown jewel of the chain. I was traveling alone and everyone at the lodge worked hard to make me feel comfortable and welcome. My driver David was knowledgeable, patient and a great driver. I saw tons of animals. If you go on safari splurge for a luxury lodge and safari drives. I met people who went on safari in the same area and saw very little.

The tent was great. It was cold when I was there and they gave you warm water bottles which kept me warm and cozy all night. I am going to try it at home to reduce my heating bill. The food and service was great. The desserts could have been better but that was the case throughout all of East Africa. There was a large variety of food to accomodate everyone. I am a pesco vegetarian and there was plenty for me to choose from.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Family Travel, Safari
  • Written August 7, 2007

Entrance to the lodge

• helios13 profile photo helios13
  • Reviews: 4

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

hotelm papillon lagoon reef: Perfect for a relaxing break,and do safari trips.

The rooms were clean and tidy with small touches such as flowers on your bed and turned down. The air con was a bit noisy but in fairness to the hotel we asked if we could move rooms and they upgraded us to a garden room without any problem.
The staff are all very friendly and the breakfast chefs are a real bright and happy start to the day. They made conversation each day with us asking how we were, where we had visited etc
We spent all day in and out of the pool . We played every day tennis , the court is situated on the other side of the road in front of the hotel.
Breakfasts at the hotel are good with a wide range on offer from fruits, juices, cereals, croissants, danish, though the pastries needed warming to freshen them up, omelettes made to order,bacon,tomatoes, potatoes, even freshly made pancakes and tea and coffee served at your table. The resident monkeys vervet and babboons provided a few laughs pinching cake and foods from unsuspecting guests.

Lunches were various breads, salads, a couple of hot dishes, selections of hot vegetables, rices and pasta's. There are some chilled desserts but generally mouse, blancmonge, cake - if anything I would say desserts was the one area they fell down on.

Dinners - there was always a roast (pork, lamb, beef, turkey) pies and Friday night BBQ as well as grilled fish along with salads, soups, breads, Same puddings as generally came out at lunchtimes.

The beach at the hotel is lovely white sands and whilst there are beach boys they will leave you alone if you are polite and firm and tell them no. The water is great at high tide, low tide can be a bit more tricky with sea urchins (so wear swim shoes) and the odd jellyfish. Snorkelling is at its best between the tides but is bit of a long swim out to the reef 1/2hr each way - but worth it.

A large and a special shape pool cleaned every day.You can take your breakfast on the poolside while hearing birds singing and come to you to get a crumb of your croissant.

The beach is very beautiful and at the low tide you can walking far in the ocean to admire coral and big red backed seastars.

To go to Ukunda the nearest village we took the local transport; it's cost pratically an alms.
On decreasing the price (and giving some stuff) for their wooden sculptures you can obtain very nice in rose wood animal sculptures.
To catch a picture of the 500 years old baobab in the garden.

• Related to: Safari, Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written March 20, 2007
Tip Photo

Vervet apes spy upon to get something to eat

• Homanded profile photo Homanded
  • Reviews: 306

Mara Sarova Tented Camp: Mara's best Luxury Camping experience

Of all the places we either stayed at or inspected in Kenya, this was our favorite by far.
Both for ambiance and in service, the Sarova group, as a whole, seem to have gotten it together!
Upon arrival, passing through the large entry gate, over cattle guards re-enforced with hanging barbed wire designed to keep the animals out of the camp site, one drives to a circular drive way and is greeted by a smiling Masaai Warrior in full Masai regalia. Donning a spear in one hand and a tray with cold soaked, eucalyptus infused towels with which to freshen up with, porters quickly grab your suitcases and luggage and escort you towards the main reception area.
There, you are again greeted, this time by someone gathering your used towels from you and offering you a refreshingly cool lemonade or Passionfruit drink before you check in.
JAMBO! is the greeting from all the smiling faces at the Sarova Tent Camp.
In fact, not once (and we were looking for it) did we see anyone not smile or fail to greet us with a friendly Jambo. From the front desk staff, to the wake up service to the groundskeepers. Being our introduction to Kenya, they truly helped us ease into the swing of things.

AFter check in, we were escorted to our rooms/tents. What an amazing place this was! Designed to resemble camping in the bush and set back, amidst thick plantings in expansive grounds, you walk through a series of well manicured paths, past the main lodge/dining area and beautiful gardens to your designated tent.

After dinner & coffee, we retired to the central bar area where there was a fire going in an open pit. Nights can cool down in the Mara, even in October and we sat around warming up, reflecting on the day and swapping stories with other guests over wine and liqueur.
A very talented guitar player with a wonderful voice sang background music until we all drifted off, one by one to our tents for the night.

The canvas tents are cleverly designed, under permanent roof structures made of weather proofed materials such as hard wood and atop of solidly built concrete flooring offering you a comfortable, dry night's sleep.

The beds (Queen sized) are amazingly comfortable (although they appeared hard at first). The only drawback, if any, is the lack of good pillows. I would offer a thicker as well as an addirional pillow per person. Two pillows are always better than one in my book!

Bathrooms are spacious, modern and well equipped with large walk in shower. We had heard that hot water could be a problem in some of these camps but not once did we have a problem with hot water. In fact, our women travelers took rather long showers on the first 2 nights and they also verified that they had not run out.

Dinners consist of HUGE selections from salads and pastas to soups, breads and casseroles.
Fresh vegetables, roasted meats, including beef, lamb, chicken and fish are a nightly staple.

Breakfasts are also a huge deal consisting of cereals, fresh fruits, yogurt, granola, breads and pastries of all types.
An egg station as well as local and British/American dishes are served in chafing dishes.
Local African dishes such as beans, curries and accompanying breads with which to soak them up are also a popular fare.

Lunch again, includes similar dishes to those at dinner minus the grill.

Additionally, a 4:00pm Tea Ceremony is held before the evening game drive serving hot tea, Kenya Coffee, assorted cakes and cookies.
Early morning game drives (those commencing at dawn - or, 5:30am) are also provided with hot coffee/tea and cakes to tide you over until your return in time for the real breakfast.
We never once went hungry!!!

All in all, this to us was an ideal way to either start or end your ideal Kenya vacation.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, National/State Park, Spa and Resort
  • Written November 3, 2006
Tip Photo

Greeted by your personal porter

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful