17 rue Printsy Ratsimamanga, Antananarivo, Madagascar

• Orchid's Profile Photo

French elegance in a rough town

La Varangue was a beautiful and peaceful place to rest in busy Antananarivo. We has 2 short stays during visits to Tana during our 2 week stay in Madagascar.

The location close to the presidential palace in the Uppper town is secure, though your guide does not recommend walking around after dark. We did not have any troubles (apart from the standard one of folk trying to sell stuff to us).

We enjoyed 2 different rooms, both on the first floor, one with views across the valley to Haut Ville, the other with views of the garden.

The siting area near the bar was great for browsing the internet with free wi-fi. The complimentary Rhum l'Arrange was a bonus.

Unique Quality: Eclectic furnishings
    Spacious rooms
    Complimentary Rhum l'Arrange
    Friendly staff
    Definitely not a cookie cutter generic type place

• Over60's Profile Photo

Upscale Hotel in Antananrivo

I spent three nights in this very pleasant hotel in Tana. The location is excellent,. right around the corner from the Presidential palace (so security is good) and near the Hotel Colbert. My room was modern , impecably clean, and well furnished, with all the ammenities one would expect in a top hotel. A nice shaded balcony looked out over the hotel's courtyard. A porter in the courtyard contributed to the sense of security. The desk clerks spoke enough English to get by and were very responsive and cordial. The laundry service was a bit slow to return things, but I wasn't worried because I could see my backpacker's jeans drying on the line in the barnyard with chickens out back. The hotel is reputed to have a top scale restaurant, but I ate only a breakfast there. Decor is pleasant and old fashioned. This place was outside my usual price range for travel in less developed countries, but it was a nice refuge from the hectic environment on the street, and I am glad I chose it. They also arranged transport to and from the airport, but the price was higher than a cab. Making reservations by e-mail in english worked fine.

Directions: About one block down the street between the Presidential Palace and Hotel Colbert

Comments