Antananarivo Hotels

Our Members Say

• CatherineReichardt profile photo CatherineReichardt
  • Reviews: 2527

Tana Plaza: Central and comfortable

We used the Tana Plaza as our base in Tana during our 2008 trip to Madagascar and found it to be a central and comfortable hotel.

The rooms are small but clean, well furnished and well maintained. Despite the fact that the surrounding area is packed with people during the day, the crowds dissipate at the sun sets, and we found it a surprisingly quiet location.

One night we were there we were without water, but this was due to circumstances beyond their control (maintenance on the pipeline from the water treatment works) and the management were proactive in communicating this scheduled disruption ahead of time.

The central location of the hotel is both a blessing and a curse. On the upside, it is easy to walk anywhere in the centre of town, provided that you are willing to run the gauntlet of beggars and would-be pickpockets that are the least pleasant characteristic of the otherwise attractive Avenue de l'Independence, a boulevard of ridiculously generous width. It is also immediately opposite the glorious railway station, which has been newly renovated, and now houses upmarket boutiques, a very helpful tourist office and the lovely (and affordable) Cafe de la Gare.

The downside of being central is that it is a long way from the airport, and you should bargain on a journey time of at least an hour during the day - maybe more if the traffic is particularly bad. Similar delays will apply if you are heading out of Tana to other destinations, so it's worth planning to leave as early as possible (ideally before 0700).

The hotel restaurant is excellent, and offers a varied and imaginative menu with a French/Malagasy twist. When we were there, the combinations of ingredients and flavours on offer were a little eclectic - and some were more successful than others - but it made for interesting dining (which will come as a pleasant surprise if you've been travelling in Madagascar for a bit, since the limited range of food in the smaller towns can get a little repetitive). For less adventurous diners - or confirmed carnivores - the zebu is particularly good (isn't it always?!!!). The excellent breakfast is also highly recommended: many Malagasy hotels only offer continental breakfasts (coffee, bread, butter and jam) which can seem a little minimalist, so it is a particular treat to encounter a well stocked and varied breakfast buffet which will set you up for the day.

• Related to: Food and Dining
  • Written July 12, 2010

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3550

SAKAMANGA: SUPER COOL

For the price, Sakamanga is the best hotel in Antananarivo. It has a lovely shaded courtyard and all the rooms look into it. The beds are comfortable, the ceiling fans work wonders in the heat and the bathrooms are both decorative and very useful. I loved this place. It also has a great looking restaurant and room service. Every room and corridor is decorated with all sorts of artefacts from the history of Madagascar. This place is amazingly charming. A must stay.

They offer a price range of rooms and I would highly advise reservations before you arrive. I tried to book a second stay 4 days ahead and found they were fully booked. Also, because they have a price range, the cheaper rooms go quickly.

The best decorated hotel in the city. Also has a great location, comfortable beds and individual themed rooms. All rooms look out into the beautiful gardens.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Business Travel
  • Written June 22, 2008

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3550

LE CACTUS VERT: IT'S OK

This place is OK. Not great, not bad, just OK. The main building has an interesting dark green and wood décor with a bar & restaurant. I stayed in a quieter room in the annex, just ask. Rooms are clean, have good beds, bathrooms with tubs, small TV and plenty of closet space. Prices seem to be slightly negotiable. I showed up without a reservation and pleaded poverty and got a reduction on the room price. You are just 2 blocks from the main shopping area. Security is good and the staff helpful. When I asked for an extra towel they produced one instantly with a smile.

• Related to: Gay and Lesbian, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written April 25, 2009

• explore_discover profile photo explore_discover
  • Reviews: 229

Sakamanga (Blue Cat) Hotel: Budget with Comfort

There are many hotels to choose in Tana, I stayed one night at Sakamanga (booked the room by e.mail with prompt replies by Noel)

Non Air conditioned/Fan Room with attached bath (hot water is a must as the morning is very cold) Cost 18 Euro (payable in Ariary according to the exchange rate of that day which was about 49,960.00) Plus the Buffet Breakfast for Ar 12,500 in a nice little garden.

Quite and Comfortable and very nice museum, with free wifi in room. The staff at the reception and in the restaurant can speak good English which is a plus point when in Tana. Walking distance (5 minutes) to Analakely Market, Independence Avenue and the Jardin and 15 minutes to Lake Anosy.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written November 21, 2011

Soft Bed

• explore_discover profile photo explore_discover
  • Reviews: 229

Hotel St. Antoine: Budget with Comfort even better

King Size Bed/fan/ attached bath/hot water for Ar 50,000 with free wifi in room, (#1~3 have better signals) and family room for Ar 60,000

Nice Little Hotel with helpful staff, Cafe and a small restaurant, 10 minutes walk to Jardin, Analakely Market and The Independence Avenue, 15 minutes to lake Anosy, Airport Shuttle can drop you there

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written November 21, 2011

On the Right

• Jmill42 profile photo Jmill42
  • Reviews: 1072

Hotel Sole: Perfect Location in the Heart of the City

Finding this place was as easy as looking in the Tana magazine that advertises all the local activities, restaurants, and hotels. Literally, 1 block off of Independence Avenue, in the heart of the city, this hotel is a perfecet place to base your stay. The rooms were very comfortable, obviously newly renovated, cleaned daily, and with a more than adequate shower/bathroom.

The staff were infinitely friendly and welcoming, though if a bit short on English and Spanish. That combined with my poor French lead to lengthy conversations about "Where is the nearest restaurant?" etc. But, as always, we were able to work it out and have a good laugh at each other in the process.

Do understand, that just coming to Tana, you will see prostitutes everywhere you go. Its unavoidable, apparently, unless you are staying at the posh hotels by the embassies. However, everyone left us alone and we never had any problems, outside of the children beggars being too persistent. Know that in this area you will feel very comfortable and have access to food, stores, and restaurants all within a minutes walk.

Very central location, just of Independence Ave.
Quick access to all needs
24-hour Guarded ATM directly across the street
Excellent service, esp. if you speak some French

Although I have provided a link below, wait to book at the hotel for cheaper prices! Also, we were able to pay by Credit Card, in spite of this website saying cash only. My advise would be just to make sure there is no festival or conference during your stay which might force you to book in advance.

Though the hotel has internet, it is very expensive compared to the cafes that are within walking distance.

• Written October 17, 2008

Hotel Sole Tana

• Nyelle profile photo Nyelle
  • Reviews: 4

Chez Aina: Chez Aina is lovely

My boyfriend made this reservation for me from the US and Aina was very helpful and patient with the language barrier! She described the rooms and rates accurately and I arrived a couple of weeks afterward. When I arrived the taxi driver had some trouble finding it, this is a private home in Tana so it's not in the main drag of hotels. But once he found it I was warmly greeted. Aina came to say hello and show me to my room, which was fantastic. It was in a separate building from the main house and was a spacious apartment. There was a large sitting room with satellite TV, a bathroom with a bath and hot water, and a bedroom with two beds. It got tons of light and had balconies. Very classic and stylish decor throughout. And immaculately clean.

Breakfast was very pleasant and I met lots of interesting people, including a group of older French tourists who were on a pretty admirable trip through Madagascar. Whenever I needed help there was someone there, and I really enjoyed my stay.

One downside is that being a bit out of the way, I can see how it might be a bit intimidating to navigate if you were on your own and it was your first time in Tana. This was my third time passing through and I had no problems but I might have been slightly less adventurous if it was my first visit.

If you are taking a taxi back here at night, insist that the driver bring you all the way to the door. You go through some narrow, windy sidestreets which are perfectly charming during the day but at night can be a little hairy. I had a very nasty dog jump out and try to get a piece of me on a walk back one night.

The gardens at the entrance are lovely. Aina has incredible taste. The best part of staying here is that you get more of a sense of Tana and it's nice to support local peoples' smaller businesses rather than the bigger hotels.

• Written December 18, 2008

• Over60 profile photo Over60
  • Reviews: 136

L'Auberge du Cheval Blanc: Acceptable Hotel near Airport

I spent one night in this motel on the main highway from Tana to the airport before travelling on by air the next day. Though far from luxurious, the hotel was adequate for this purpose. The room was simple and the bath in poor condition, but everything functioned. The exterior is not as attractive as the pictures on the web site suggest, but overall the place is not bad. The service here was excellent. The desk clerk spoke adequate English, credit cards were accepted fo a small extra fee, and the restaurant offered a good Zebu steak meal. They also stored my bag until I returned several days later without charge. I found lots of friendly travellers to chat with here and enjoyed a beer at the tables out front. Rides to and from the airport are available without charge, though a tip is appropriate of course. The distance to the airport is quite short (about 15 minutes on foot), so I chose to just walk back.. It is also possible to walk to the village of Ivato from here, though there is little there to see. My e-mail request for a reservation was answered promptly.

• Written February 14, 2007

• Tamani profile photo Tamani
  • Reviews: 115

Chez Aina: Chez Aina

150000 FMG double

Nice small hostel run by Aina and her husband Vincent. The traditional house has a lovely garden which offers a quiet place in the bustling city. Beautiful rooms and an excellent home kitchen. It feels like you're staying with friends.

• Written September 7, 2002
Tip Photo

• nepalgoods profile photo nepalgoods
  • Reviews: 1342

Hotel MAHATAZANA: Best for tours with bicycles

The hotel lies at the outskirts of Tana with a nice view, beautiful garden. It has only a few rooms, but they are wellkept with nice wooden furniture.

The hotel is owned by a German and his Madagassi-wife. They are very nice and give you any advice and recommondations for bycicle-tours around Tana.

There are bikes for hire. If you wish, they arrange special tours for you. On their website you find a lot of usefull tips and the tours.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Cycling
  • Written August 30, 2002

Hotel Mahatazana

• drolkar profile photo drolkar
  • Reviews: 562

HOTEL COLBERT -- a higher-end...

HOTEL COLBERT -- a higher-end hotel in the French colonial style which is centrally located. I stayed here for only one night (my first one in Madagascar -- mainly for 'recovery' purposes after the long trip from San Francisco!). After that I stayed at a small Chinese-run hotel near the American Embassy, the name of which I have unfortunately forgotten. The embassy staff are probably familiar with it, however, so here is the embassy's address: 14 Rue Rainitovo, Antsahavola, Antananarivo.
FRF 650 or approx. USD $87.00 per night

• Written August 24, 2002

• rosequartzlover1 profile photo rosequartzlover1
  • Reviews: 284

Le Cosmos: Hotel near airport

The very first night in Madagascar ,I need to stay in a hotel closet to the airport.I've been checking quite a while ,there were not so many choice.Finally I chose Le cosmos,one of the closet to airport.It located right opposit to airport.The information from some source that I know ,told that the price was 40,000 Ar. for ttwin bed and 50,000 for family room.But when I was there they charged me 51,000 for twin bed room.The room was very small,just enough to fit 2 small beds with mosquito net, a small table with TV, a small wardrobe and a mobile showerThere's a fan on the floor.One good thing was ,they provide 1 time free pick up or sending you to airport.We have to choose only one.I asked them to pick me up cuz I arrive there very late at night ,almost midnight,so I don't want to lose time serching for anything,cuz next day I have to wake up 3 o'clock to go to Morondava already.In this case we have to contact them in advance by email or call them to let them know which day we arrive and make sure some body will wait for us there.And yes...somebody with our name waiting there.The next morning we asked them to wake us up (mean that they sleep only 3 hours as well)This time they charged for taxi fee 10,000 Ar.(Actually they put the price for taxi on the wall that "Taxi to airport day time 4,000,night time 8,000)but I was lazy to argue so I gave them what they asked)
Over all this place was just an old house turn to be a hotel ,they have only 4-5 rooms ,the building and the floor made by wood.The staff are young guys and very friendly.For me ..as long as the staff are friendly ,even the room is so and so.. but everything will be alright for me.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written May 21, 2012
Tip Photo

• lotharscheer profile photo lotharscheer
  • Reviews: 746

Hotel Manoir rouge: Very close to the airport

I case you arife very late or you have a early morning plane this place is very convenient. Rooms from € 12, als dorm € 8 and camping € 5, nice restaurant, free wifi.

If you have to leave early in the morning it can be difficult to wake up the concierge (you can´t leave without him opening the gate) and get a taxi, but if you don´t have alot of luggage it´s only 1,5 km to walk.

• Related to: Jungle and Rain Forest, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written August 2, 2013

Antananarivo

• moppys profile photo moppys
  • Reviews: 8

I'll de Bourbon: A Very Good Choice

I came from a 14-16 hours ride in a taxi brusse and had a difficult time to find a Hotel with vacancy I got a recommendation and finally found it. it's a quite hotel(though they do vaccum in the morning :~ ) I was amayzed from how clean and how equipped it was. There is music in night, but it's not a young place to be, more like a piano and sometimes an acordion playing famous kinda "old people" songs with no swing. I did met a couple and had a good time and it was in a good location.
I mostly enjoyed a good place to recover from a long journey and my first experience in National TV shows...

They got the same simple Le Petit déjeuner and they don't have Pizza(as I recall) so food is okay.
Defenetly not the place to meat Backpackers becouse they will go for the Tana-"cheep" 17000Ar Isoraka or somewhere even cheeper.

Look at it this way you get what you pay for. while you might pay up to 20 and don't get your own bathroom and a small room, maybe a better place to end the trip than to start it.

Price:35000Ar

1. Offers a ride from the hotel to the Air Port(which costs from 20000Ar-25000Ar by Taxi) may offer a rider from as well check with them by phone(If I'll find it I'll add later on.)
2. a laundry service!
3. a TV!!!
4. a locker inside the room to put money and important stuff!
5. a miror a desk a carpet!

• Opinion of Price: most expensive