Antsiranana Hotels

• Dolevm profile photo Dolevm
  • Reviews: 15

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Le Grand Hôtel: The best in town

We stayed 3 nights in this new hotel. It was our base to tours to Ramena and Month De Amber N.P.
The hotel is situated in the main street of Diego Suarez. We enjoyed very much the hotel facilities.

There is a nice pool and free internet .

• Opinion of Price: N/A

• Over60 profile photo Over60
  • Reviews: 138

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

L'hôtellerie du Monastère: Great Place to Stay in Joffreville

I spent three nights at L'hôtellerie du Monastère near Joffreville while visiting Montagne d'Ambre. This is a simple hotel run by a group of nuns and a truly wonderful place to stay. My room was simple but very clean and equiped with a balcony with a beautiful view down to Diego Suarez and the bay. The grounds are beautiful and well kept, with many flowers. The room has a shower and sink; toilet is down the hall. The nuns are extremely kind, friendly, and helpful, though only one could speak a few words of English. Fortunately my few words of Italian and my French-English phrase book sufficed. A simple breakfast and hearty dinner are included in the modest price, and the sisters even provided me with bananas and bread for my hikes to the park. The only real drawback is location. I reached the place by taxi, which was not unduly expensive, but I had to walk to Montagne d'Ambre each day. The walk is not unpleasant and provides the chance to see local rural life, but it is long (over an hour) and uphill. I was able to catch a ride back from the Park to the Monastère entrance each afternoon. This place was one of the highlights of my trip, and I recommend it strongly to anyone who doesn't need luxury, TV, and a swimming pool.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written January 27, 2007

• Over60 profile photo Over60
  • Reviews: 138

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Le Colbert: Diego Suarez Hotel

This is a modern hotel, not to be confused with the more elegant and expensive Le Grand Hotel Colbert a couple of blocks up the street. My room was pleasant and modern, but filled with mosquitos and without the net one would expect in this price range. Spent a lot of time swatting them and had to sleep covered with Deet. The location, right on the main street, is favorable, with several good restaurants nearby. The hotel had a restaurant, but I only used this for the OK breakfast. Staff spoke just enough English to get by but were very helpful and accomodating.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average