Madagascar Hotels

Our Members Say

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3546

SAKAMANGA: SUPER COOL

For the price, Sakamanga is the best hotel in Antananarivo. It has a lovely shaded courtyard and all the rooms look into it. The beds are comfortable, the ceiling fans work wonders in the heat and the bathrooms are both decorative and very useful. I loved this place. It also has a great looking restaurant and room service. Every room and corridor is decorated with all sorts of artefacts from the history of Madagascar. This place is amazingly charming. A must stay.

They offer a price range of rooms and I would highly advise reservations before you arrive. I tried to book a second stay 4 days ahead and found they were fully booked. Also, because they have a price range, the cheaper rooms go quickly

The best decorated hotel in the city. Also it has a great location, comfortable beds and individual themed rooms. All rooms look out into the beautiful gardens. They also have a well recommended restaurant.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Business Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written June 22, 2008

SAKAMANGA - ANTANANARIVO

• belgianchocolate profile photo belgianchocolate
  • Reviews: 1073

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Le manoir rouge.: If you need accomodation near the airport.

I know it is ridiculous to ad a hotel tip for an entire country. But this might be useful. The flight from Air France arrives late at the airport - 10 o'clock. We had our flight booked early in the morning for Diego , and the idea of spending the night at the airport wasn't very tempting. Driving into Tana for that short time either. (14 km , but it is expensive - Malagasy standards and it takes time). So , I booked le Manoir rouge.. We liked it there , and we also booked it for our last night.

-Patrick is the owner , a Frenchmen , who likes to be friendly to everybody French , but not to us. We didn't care since he got the best staff ever - which he isn't too friendly at either.

-We did think that it was fantastic that we were picked up at the airport. Our names at a piece of cardboard - it did feel like a big welcome.

-The rooms are quit large , there is a garden at the back (where I spotted a chameleon the last day) and above all it is clean and it has something happy.

- If you come from Tana , it is only a very small walk from the taxi brousse station , and there is a large market nearby.The friendly receptionist will make sure your taxi is there at the time needed and any adivice needed is provided..

The website says it is 600m from the airport...I had the feeling that all malagasy meters are longer then I'm used too. Especially when we walked them lol. But it is very close.

And best of all , they answer fast if you amil them.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written November 23, 2005

View from our window

• belgianchocolate profile photo belgianchocolate
  • Reviews: 1073

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Le manoir rouge!: Dinner at le manoir rouge!

Oh , and the last day we made a deal. Our flight for Air France was late in the evening. So we arrived at this little hotel to spend the last night and asked if it was possible to take a shower before we elft. We could keep our room for half price and take a hot shower. (it was hot , but there wasn't too much pressure on the water - something that hapens more...)

Now the hotel has a nice bar , restaurant. The fun thing is that I was taking pictures at the market nearby and that I met the cooks of the hotel. Two enthousiast ladies. This little hotel hasn't got a large menu , but it works like this. The ladies go to the market , when they come back , they tell the receptionist what they got and what they are able to make with it. You make a choise and she askes how late you want to have dinner. It takes about an hour to prepare the food.....

It was fresh , tasted great....we had a great time here.

Oh and they also got this rhum- flavored with all sorts of stuff. Try some.
(I said some , not all!!)

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Backpacking
  • Written November 23, 2005

The 'porc carry'

Hotel Domaine Nature: Living in a zoo

Bamboo huts scattered down the hillside from the road, simple but rustic accommodation with en suite bathrooms.

Beware of the gas water heaters in the bathrooms. The staff will come and switch them on for you, but occationally the light with go out, leaking gas into the room. The smell alerted us to the fact that all was not well. We had to ask three times before someone came and put it right. I heard rumours of a fire at some stage in the past, but whether this is true or not I don't know.

The whole area (including the rooms) is full of wildlife - geckoes, chameleons, frogs, butterflies (bed bugs?) etc. The second night we were kept awake by the strange sounds of a frog :'click click rowr'.

From time to time the restaurant is used to house the local disco. As the rooms are within feet of the bar and are made of thin bamboo slats, the music reverberates throughout the whole complex. We were the only ones who got any sleep that night (we sleep though absolutely anything!).

Despite all the above negative comments, this was still my favourite hotel in Madagascar!

• Related to: Safari, Hiking and Walking, Jungle and Rain Forest

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ambositra Development Centre: All girls together

The Development Centre consists of a main building plus four dormitories – two for men, two for women. We sit around in the grounds sharing duty free and Malagasy crisps while we are waiting to be called for dinner.

I sleep remarkably well considering I am sharing with 7 other women. I don’t hear anyone snoring and the outside long-drop toilet is reasonably easy to negotiate in the middle of the night. I give the bucket-shower a miss in the morning and have a wash with a ‘deodorant wipe’ instead. What did we do before wet-wipes were invented?

It would have been very interesting to have chatted with the staff here about their development work and how it benefits the local community.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Jungle and Rain Forest, Safari

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Le Relais de la Reina: Wow!

This hotel is seriously classy, with superior French style and excellent service! Great attention to detail. The hotel blends in beautifully in the rocky outcrops of the area with a huge boulder by the entrance.

The rooms are spacious with three beds, mosquito nets, a fan, a superb shower and a sitting area outside.

No wonder is is supposedly Madagascar's best hotel!

Snacks are served with the drinks in the bar, and as soon as another one of our group arrives, a member of staff miraculously brings another chair.

We spend the afternoon by the pool and are totally alone in these gorgeous surroundings. Flowering jacarandas and bougainvillea surround the patio and white canvas umbrellas provide shade. Butterflies as big as birds and with amazing markings flutter all around us, there are beautiful birds in the trees, buzzards soar above and lizards scamper on the rocks.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, National/State Park, Safari

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bamboo Club: Chalets on the beach

With sandy paths leading to the sea, rooms, pool and restaurant, the hotel is in a lovely position. I am pleasantly surprised by this place, although others are not keen. Individual bamboo and thatch chalets dot the ground with mouse lemurs living in the rafters. Snorkelling and diving is available as is boat hire. The reef here is disappointing, consisting mainly of dead stag-horn coral, but there is some colourful wildlife down there: parrot fish, trumpet fish, angel fish and schools of iridescent green, pale blue, black and yellow fish which I don’t know names of.

• Related to: National/State Park, Safari, Beaches

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Feon'ny Ala: Lovely rustic accommodation

The lodge is situated by a lake and consists of lovely rustic chalets with verandas overlooking the grounds. The rooms are basic but comfortable with two beds and a simple show / toilet separated from the room by a curtain. At night you can enjoy a drink on a terrace over the lake whilst listening to the call of the Indri.

It can get VERY cold during the night, I ended up sleeping with pyjamas, trousers, socks and fleece – and was still a little chilly.

Located within walking distance of the entrance to Perinet. Walking along the road at night, you cans spot many nocturnal animals and birds.

• Related to: Safari, Hiking and Walking, Jungle and Rain Forest

• tompt profile photo tompt
  • Reviews: 2523

IC Hotel: Close to the interantional airport (Ivato)

We stayed in this hotel between a flight from Tulear and flying north from to Diego the next day. As we arrived in the afternoon we wanted to visit Tana. For that purpose the location of the hotel is not good. It took us over 40 minutes to get there with a taxi. The taxi costed us 10.000 Ariary, which was quit cheap, most of our fellow travellers payed around 15.000.
The hotel itself was looking new, it was built in 2005. The beds were great, not only large enough, but also good matrasses. The shower had warm water, although it took several minutes for the hot water to get to our room.
There is a restaurant in the hotel, and from what we heard from fellow travellers, they served good food. The breakfast was special with several kinds of bread, even chocolat breadrolls.

Our verdict:
A good hotel if you are looking for place close to the airport this is it. We would book again for our first night stay.

• Written November 14, 2006

Our balcony

• Reviews: 1215

Colbert, Hilton, Radama Hotel, Hotel du Louvre...: Rather an expensive hotel in urban areas than...

Rather an expensive hotel in urban area than a cheaper one in remote area (esp. in Tana). For one reason: traffic jam... and ignorance of circulation code as well (see my pic and look where pedestrians are, it's even worse in crowded urban areas).

As for traffic jams, an example: In the 80es, it took me 45 minutes to join urban area from our place in North Tana. Nowadays, it takes my Dad 1.30 min - 2 hours to do so...

Alternative: Rather hire a chauffeur to move around cities.. and choose a hotel located in urban area since there are things to do in urban Tana (zoo, uptown, markets, outlets, administration, all main embassies...)

Well, I wrote this tip for Tana but it applies in other cities as well. In Tulear and Fianar, I know that Hotel Capricorne (Tulear) and Hotel moderne (Fianar) arrange your trekking to interesting spots in the area since they own resorts in those remote spots as well. Hotel Capricorne, Lakana Vezo in Ifaty, Le gallion in Taolagnaro and Reserve de Berenty belong to the same owner. In Toamasina, Hotel Joffre and Hotel Neptune are reliable as well.

• Related to: Business Travel, Backpacking, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written May 4, 2003

People are really "in" the streets by Marc

• Reviews: 1215

Relais de la Reine*** (Ihosy National park): Stone hotel within rocks and canyons

I appreciated there architecture and the use of materials according to the building's environment ( a kind of built in/on rocks). I really fell for it!

Not only it greatly differs from hotels' building in Madagascar but I kind of appeciated its real beauty made of grey and pinkish stone (same as you will find in Isalo area).

Isn'it beautiful? I would use for a kind of honeymoon stay :-) Yeah, one can dream. Alongside with desert and natural reserves and natural rock pool in Isalo region.

And inside, it was all cool and fresh for this warm and dry area.

For more pics, check my album in my Madagascar page:

Swimming pool- Rock pool- Arranges trekking- horseriding- Ecotourism
Great view from the tope of the hills that surrounded bungalows...
Stone bungalows.

Price of a double-room in 1998: FF 350. I would check for amount in USD...
More expensive that most of hotels but less expensive than others in its categories (Hilton would charge FF 950 instead..). And less expensive compared to quality it offers.

Plus, from persons who stayed there in 2000, service was professional. It was a great experience for them but since I've never stayed there, just visted, I find it fair not to rate it.

So far, it seems to be the only nice hotel near the park, the others tend to be a bit lousy... Will look for others though.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Road Trip, National/State Park
  • Written May 6, 2003

Most beautiful hotel in M/car by Norali

Hotel Capricone (Toliara): Superb complex with nicely set bungalows

Hotel Capricorne, best hotel in town (talking of Toliara area, not the whole island). Nice, comfortable and clean bungalows, comfortable air conditioned rooms, good oper air restaurant, discreet and efficient personnel in a superb complex.

I discovered it at night. Ambience was mysterious as night was warm and I was tempted to stay in the garden, under patios, listening to peoples' conversations. But bed was calling me :-)

Great food as well. I appreciated my breakfast: fresh juice, papaya and pineapple slices, toasted bread and Sahambavy tea...

Price in 2003:
Studio 50,00 Euros
Single room with air co: 42,70 Euros
Extra Bed 8,40 Euros

Gardens full of flower. Patios lead to bungalows and pavillions. Many hidden corners to take pictures... Bending coconut trees

Bathroom was comfortable, warm water, air conditioning.

The Hotel uses to arrange trips to Ifaty (see pic), Morombe, Taolanaro nautic resorts... since it is not allowed to swim at urban Toliara seafront.

They can take you at airport as well, arrange seat booking for your flights, rent cars, hires guides, medical care assistance in case of problems... Kind of resourceful institution! Very helpful!

I rated as "less expensive than average" because services range is comprehensive and personnel is highly efficient.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Business Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Road Trip
  • Written May 6, 2003
Tip Photo

Ask Le Capricorne to arrange trips to Ifaty (Anne)

• tompt profile photo tompt
  • Reviews: 2523

Ihary Hotel, Ranomafana: Bungalows along the stream

A few kilometers from the entrance of the Ranomafana NP you will find the village Ranomafana. The name means warm water because of the well that is located here.
Located along the main road there is Ihary Hotel. A hotel with several bungalows, one or two beds, along the river. The bungalows are not noiseprove, we did hear the people in the restaurant and the alarmclocks of several neighbours.
Each bungalow has its own private bathroom, with a hot shower.
The restaurant serves good meals, the waiters were a not really interested though. Breakfast was enough, they served a home made yoghurt along with a croissant that weighed almost equal to a whole bread.

Our verdict:
Nice bungalows along the stream where children cross every morning to go to school. Not really close to the National Park, but a would book again for us.

• Written November 14, 2006

bungalows Ihary hotel

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Diamant: Not sure about this....

The hotel, which is on the ouskits of town, has miles of corridor and we are concerned that the fire door was padlocked! After explaining that this is for security reasons (really?) we are given the key.

Excellent showers inthe rooms.

The restaurant has an extensive menu (in French only), but the service is almost non-existent and despairingly slow.

The general agreement was that this hotel appeared to double as a brothel.

• Related to: Safari, Jungle and Rain Forest, Hiking and Walking

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Soafia: Weird and whacky

The hotel shares a lit of similarities with a Chinese temple with intricate designs and colourful symbols on the walls.

The room is very large, the bed looks almost lost in it, there is a sofa group, a fridge and TV and a huge balcony which goes all the way round the corner of the room. The balcony overlooks the swimming pool, a scrap yard, a rubbish dump and back yards with someone’s privy!

• Related to: Safari, National/State Park, Hiking and Walking