Sunbird Mount Soche

sebblit7's Profile Photo

dodgy

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 30, 2005

Arrived hotel 23h30. Had to ask for our free welcome drink. Two empty Coke bottles, an empty Fanta bottle and a dirty coffee cup in room - called reception to explain the situation - told that it was late and they'd sort it out in the morning. Wanted beer – no alcohol in mini-bar. Called room service - ordered two bottles of Castle Lager. While waiting for Castle I got a desperate call from reception accusing me of not paying the US$10 for airport transfers for myself and two colleagues. Explained that I had been offered FREE airport transfers when I booked under the AfricaAdvantage special and since it was too late to sort out the used mini-bar items, it was also too late to discuss the airport transfer issue. Castles arrived – price MK900. Later learnt that 2 Carlsberg Greens would have cost MK360 – later discovered 20 Carlsberg Greens from Metro nearby was +-MK1300) Found brochure for AfricaAdvanatge special, next to Mount Soche was an * airport shuttles not free

Next morning at breakfast (on tight schedule) guy appears at my table - manager wants me to see him. Tell guy manager should come to me. Manager comes, tells me we owe US$10/person for airport transfers. I tell him what I was told when I booked and he says, “No, you must pay!” Now that pisses me off, no diplomacy, no trying to figure out, just, “No. You must pay!” Refused to pay since the call was recorded when I booked told him to verify what I was told. Told him about Coke/Fanta bottles in my room that still hadn’t been cleared. Left hotel for the morning, Stan showed brochure explaining airport shuttles not free at Mount Soche. On principle refused to pay - reservations lady in the UK had misled me. Stan apologized said he’d sort it out.

On check-out (a 2.5 hr process)

...goto unique qualities for continuation

Unique Quality: Charged US$10 for the airport transfer - asked to speak to Stan, it was a Sunday.Asked them to call him, looked at as if I’d said, ‘Can you wake God up on a Sunday?” Spoke to him, he’d verified I was not told airport shuttles are free. Go figure. Asked him if he was prepared to lose our future business over the issue, yes he was.Charged for the two Cokes and Fanta.
Also charged for internet use
My room charged at US$135/night - colleagues charged at US$130/night - lady said colleagues room rate was a mistake they’d forgotten to tax them pointed out $5 is not 17.5% tax on US$130. She said my room was US$135 because I had a garden view room while colleagues didn’t. Explained that 317 and 314 both had garden views.

Other pathetic happenings at this hotel? You want ice for your cooler box early in the morning? Staff will not be able to supply - call manager who’ll miraculously find it, and fill cooler box so you cannot put drinks in it.

If ordering room service menu ask if you have right menu. Ordered Oxtail, menu said MK875, bill said MK1395. Manager accused me of having “an old menu.”

Saw 3 ppl complain about unworking aircon.

TV volume button broken, remote didn’t work.
Used pen 6 days in a row to stir coffee, no teaspoon supplied

A bunch of loud South African’s in next room and public areas of hotel. I’m a born in England, South African. It’s embarrassing when South African’s are loud, they remind me of loud American’s during the ‘80’s. Note that Americans are not loud any more, South African’s are. Stop being loud it’s pathetic and childish.

Need to know internet dial-up details? Don’t call reception phonetically confusing:
DIALUP NUMBER: 9,1812
USERNAME: capitalguest1 (Not GUEST1)
PASSWORD: capital1
Connection Speed: 28.8Kbps

Good happenings at this hotel? King does eggs perfectly. Shoeshine perfect.

I noticed a Protea Hotel nearby, I think I’ll stay there next time. Here’s the link: http://www.protea-hotels.co.za/findhotel.jsp?croid=ryal
contacts:

• Business Services
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Blantyre Travel Forum

Need advice about Blantyre, Malawi? Visit the Travel Forum for Blantyre and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Blantyre hotel reviews