Grand Baie Hotels

Our Members Say

• SWFC_Fan profile photo SWFC_Fan
  • Reviews: 1242

Dookee House Apartments: Good value apartments in Grand Baie

I stayed at Dookee House Apartments for 6 nights during a visit to Grand Baie, Mauritius in February 2008.

I paid just 13 GBP / 18 Euros per night for an en-suite apartment.

Location

Dookee House Apartments are located in the northern resort of Grand Baie, which is a 1 hour taxi ride from the airport at Plaisance in the south east of the island.

Within Grand Baie itself, the apartments are located on La Salette Road, opposite the large “Super U” hypermarket, and just a 3 minute walk from Royal Road, the Sunset Boulevard shopping area and the seafront. There are restaurants and shops within a 2 minute walk of the accommodation, while the centre of Grand Baie (with dozens of restaurants, bars, tour operators, banks and shops) can be reached on foot in a little over 5 minutes.

The island’s capital, Port Louis, is 30 minutes away by express bus.

In terms of nearby beaches (which is likely to be a priority for many visitors to Mauritius!), the beach at Grand Baie is less than 5 minutes away on foot. The beach is nice enough, with a long stretch of sand backed by tall trees, and the sea is a lovely shade of turquoise. However, due to the large number of boats in the bay, it is not a particularly great beach for swimming. The best nearby beaches are at Pereybere (5 minutes by bus or 30 minutes on foot), Mont Choisy (10 minutes by bus) and Trou aux Biches (15 minutes by bus).

Room

My apartment was spacious, clean and very well furnished. I was extremely pleased with the quality of the room and, for such a low price, it significantly exceeded my expectations.

The room included a twin bed and a single bed (adequate for sleeping 3 people), a wardrobe, a large fridge freezer, oven hobs, a sink, cooking utensils, cutlery and crockery, a dining table, 2 dining chairs, 2 armchairs, a TV and an oscillating fan. It also had a balcony, although the views (of the dodgem cars and fast food joints surrounding the Super U complex) were nothing special.

The TV only picked up 3 local channels (with a poor signal and with many of the programmes in French), but this didn’t concern me as I wasn’t in Mauritius to watch TV!

My only slight criticism of the room would be the lack of air conditioning. I slept most nights on top of the bed with the windows fully open and the oscillating fan on its highest setting. However, the room was still uncomfortably warm at times.

The en-suite shower room included a large walk-in shower, a toilet and another washbasin. It was generally clean and was serviced by the maid (who provided clean towels and replenished the toiletries) every other day. One small fault was that there was no way of controlling the temperature of the water from the shower. It generally ran luke warm (perfect given the hot temperatures), but with occasional spurts of very hot and very cold water.

The plug sockets in Mauritius are the three pronged British-style ones. However, all of the sockets in my room were fitted with removable adaptors for two pronged European-style plugs.

General

The accommodation includes a restaurant (named “Talipot”, serving local specialities), an Internet café and a souvenir shop on its ground floor. The Internet café and the shop are open between 9am and 5pm, while the restaurant is open until early evening. No breakfast is included in the room rate, but the self catering facilities are more than adequate to prepare your own (although, no toaster was provided) and there are plenty of cafes in Grand Baie that open early and serve continental and cooked breakfasts.

When I first arrived at the apartments, it was a Sunday morning and the restaurant, shop and Internet café were all closed for the day. With no visible reception area and no signs to indicate where I should go, I was starting to get a little concerned about how I would actually get into my room! However, after venturing down a driveway besides the apartments, I was able to locate the family living quarters and obtain the key to my apartment.

One thing to note is that when walking back along La Salette Road at night, the street is poorly lit. Also, there is little in the way of external lighting at the apartments themselves. You might therefore think about taking a small torch with you or you’ll find yourself in the position that I did: having to navigate the steep external stairs in near darkness.

As I was leaving for the airport late on the Saturday night, I booked the room for a 7th night (in order that I could keep the room on until 8pm when I left, rather than having to vacate in the morning). When I came to pay my bill, the owners insisted that I only pay for 6 nights and that I didn’t have to vacate until the evening.

If possible, contact the owners of Dookee Apartments in advance and ask them to arrange your transfer from the airport. I failed to do so, and instead arranged my own taxi upon arrival. The taxi driver that took me to Grand Baie asked me for 2,600 Rupees (almost 50 GBP) for the 1 hour journey. I haggled and paid 2,000 Rupees (about 40 GBP). For the return journey to the airport at the end of my stay, I booked the transfer with the owners of the apartments. For just 1,280 Rupees (approx. 25 GBP), they arranged for my taxi to the airport. It arrived promptly, the driver came up to my room to carry my luggage to the car and he even tuned the radio in the taxi to BBC World Service so that I could listen to the live English football!

I highly recommend Dookee House Apartments to any budget travellers wanting an independent apartment in the island’s biggest resort, Grand Baie.

A great room, a great location…and superb value for money. Highly recommended!!

• Written March 14, 2008

Dookee House Apartments, Grand Baie

• ZenLady34 profile photo ZenLady34
  • Reviews: 132

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Villa Camille: Good location , groceries&bus near, safe place

We stayed almost for two weeks in this apartment, in a studio. It was equipped with fridge, coffee maker, kitchenware and ironing board. It had also a bathroom and a terrace. There was everything one needs in an apartment, except a radio or a TV in our apartment. The other apartments had TV in them, maybe even a radio? But who needs them anyway...

Also an Internet is provided in the reception for 50 rupees for 30mins (modem). But also a big supermarket is located within few hundred metres and there is a Internet available.

The owner is very friendly and helpfull. If agreed he comes to meet you at the airport . He also organises tours with his car being your local guide.

Great place for base yourself for your holiday. It has no pool but you can easily reach the beach with bus (14 rupees to Mont Choisy).

It is located perfectly near facilities (supermarket, main street, bus stops to Port Louis etc). They have different types of rooms from studios to two bedroom apartments. The cleaning is done every second day and they provide towels as well. We were really happy to the level of service and cleanness of the place. (Trust me, Im critical).
Also, we found the place safe and valuable items could be left in the room without a fear that someone would steal them.

I can highly recommend this place. Great value for your money for extended stay. The satisfaction "points" I gave five (it was not a GREAT EXPERIENCE) but the place was great value for the money, safe, clean, good location, friendly host and had an Internet connection... to me it is worth five "points". It just cant be better for this amount of money.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Seniors, Women's Travel
  • Written April 8, 2005

Villa Camille entrance

• LotusV8 profile photo LotusV8
  • Reviews: 256

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Villa Camille: The best in Grand Baie!

Probably one of the best "Value for your money", this Hotel is located a 5 min walk from the centre of Grand Baie, and that is one of the things that make this place a very good choice, its very quite, and we had our best sleeping all times during our travels, birds start to sing in the morning so you dont need to have an alarmclock, what a wonderful experience to wake up in paradise in that way! It is not top end like something superluxury or so, but it is absolutely clean, your sheets and towels are changed every second day and your studio/apartment will be totally clean, the kitchen had all we needed, the bathroom was ok, the bed was perfect, and we even had a small balcony.

Mr Reza Gunnoo and his beautiful wife (and little baby Mr Gunnoo) was very kind and helpful during our stay. Internet (ADSL) for 40 Rupees for half an hour is a better choice than Internet-cafes downtown, its faster and cheaper. Satelite TV with 4 Channels, BBC, French TV5, one local and one India channel. Aircondition, Laundyservice, and Tour booking, you can even book Reza for a day to explore Mauritius, and that is something I want to recommend.
If we go back to Mauritius we know where to go - to Villa Camille!

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches, Backpacking
  • Written November 15, 2006

Front of Villa Camille

• LotusV8 profile photo LotusV8
  • Reviews: 256

Villa Corinne: Next to Villa Camille

We didnt stay here, I just added this because I want to show that you can find lot of accomodation around Villa Camille, many familys in Grand Bay have transformed their big houses to guesthouses, we found at least 4-5 Guesthouses/Bungalows, etc.. a few hundred metres from the center of G.B.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches
  • Written November 20, 2006

Corinne Villa

• RichardIII profile photo RichardIII
  • Reviews: 1

CALIFORNIA STUDIOS: Value For Money Budget Accomodation in Mauritius

We (Carol, my wife and me) spent 2 weeks in Mauritius in Dec 08. Carol & myself had been there 3 already but always opted for ¾ Star Hotels. As this time, it was a late decision to book into any hotel falling in our budget. We got suggested this new tourist complex in Pereybere by a friend working in Mauritius. Sceptical at first coz of the price 35€ per studio/night (peak period rate other it start from 25€ to 30€) , we were expecting scummy but we were pleasant surprised to see the place. We were picked by a 4x4 by a very pleasant and talkative driver for U$D 45.

Located in small street some 200 metres off Pereybere Beach, the California Studios just opened its door, we were among their first customers . The place is owned and managed by 2 brothers who run the whole business, everybody working there is somehow related. Firstly, it was much appreciated that they did not see “different” (we are a black couple) and we were really pampered. Despite having been to Mauritius several times, this was the first time, we learnt about Mauritians and their way of life (they are really magnificent and hospitable person who would really go of the way to help).

Coming back to the hotel, each studio has every thing that a self-catering unit requires including Microwave and A/C. The rooms are rather small but incredibly neat and tidy. Linens, Towels and beddings are changed every 2 days. The exterior is paved and the small pool is very well kept.

Shopping is not a problem, there is a café some 100 m away and a huge shopping centre some 5 mins in Grand Bay. Food (Raw) bought from the locals and supermarkets is very much affordable. Rs. 300/400 (10-15 U$D) should suffice for a couple for a whole day. Some days we ate at the complex, they serve meal on a Room Service Basis. The prices are as follows: Breakfast @ 4€ ,Light Lunch @ 5€ ,Standard Lunch @ 7€ ,3Course Diner @ 8€ per person. The local food comprises of Chinese, Creoles and Indo-Mauritian cuisine. I must say we took several meals from them, but their Curries especially their Prawn curry will remain on my mind for long.

Despite having to walk 10 mins to get to the beach.Moving around in Mauritius is simple, the public transport is reliable and pretty cheap, days we wanted to go out for whole sight seeing, this was organised by the owners . We were joined by another couple whom we befriended there itself . We shared the cost of 40U$D for the cab and paid 6 U$D for a Light lunch, thus the cost per person amounted to 16U$D !!

Anyway, the best part of my experience is that, I spent so less this time on food and lodging, that I could afford to bring some gifts even for my grumpy mother-in-law !! I would definitely recommend the California Studios to any body who wants to see the real Mauritius and its people. Despite craps about security in Mauritius, all we was that we took the basic precaution and we must admit that we had a ball there. We are really looking forward to be back there this Dec.

The place is absolutely neat and tidy. Clean Pool. Tidy Yard. Very good home cooked food (food is prepared by the owners at their house). Good natured & welcoming owners and staff. Being family business, they really make sure that each customer is pampered for them to come.( You should not be surprised to get invited by the owner to have a few shots with him).

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Backpacking, Business Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written February 23, 2009

Fromt View

• jagagag profile photo jagagag
  • Reviews: 1

Villa Camille: Budget accomodation Mauritius

We have just come back having spent a month in Ville Camille over Christmas. I would have no problems in recommending anyone staying here. If you are looking for a good value, no frills attached, clean place to stay, then look no farther. We had a wonderful Christmas and New year thanks to the parties organised by Reza and Sadaf. Reza met us at the airport, gave us a sim card for our phone so that we didn't run up a massive bill on our own phones ( I was glad of this when I got home) and organised a tour guide and a car for us, all at very good value.

We were a five minute walk to the beach which was great for the times when we didn't have a car.

• Opinion of Price: about average