3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Merville Beach Hotel

Superb!

by TripAdvisor Member STW

We stayed at Merville beach in February/March 2006, and it was a quality experience. Here is a list why;

Good quality food, lovely breakfasts
Great service
Lovely beach
Excellent watersports facilities, the staff at the boathouse were very friendly, patient and professional. By the end of the holiday both my girlfried and I had become pretty good waterskiers.
Good diving facilites
Very clean rooms, often decorated with flower petals.
Good bar facilites
Very clean hotel generally
Great entertainment, the bands and singers that play in the evening were brilliant.

I will definately come back! I couldn't say the same about the Maldives.

Simon

returned smiling!!!

by TripAdvisor Member MissWestNine

We have just returned from a week staying at Merville beach and I want to recommend this hotel for anyone who is uncertain as to where they should stay. We flew with BA direct flight ( recommended! as good flight times) and arrived in the pouring rain... However, this cleared within a day of our arrival and we had sun for the rest of the week. The staff at the hotel are some of the friendliest people you could wish to care for you. the hotel rooms are basic but with air conditioning and spotlessly clean. the hotel is set in lovely gardens with ducks, a cat and dog for company!! the hotel faces the beach which is clean white sand and the clearest blue sea which felt very safe for swimming. The "town" of Grand Baie is 10 minutes walk form the hotel and worth the walk to buy water which is much cheaper than buying from the hotel.
Food was pretty mediocre. The buffet nights were the best giving a wide selection of fish and meat dishes( not so good for vegetarians). Breakfasts also were satisfying and buffet style.
Overall, a very safe place for special offers/ package holidays (we went with Kuoni who were excellent).

Dream come true!

Our stay at the Merville was a holiday, a wedding and a honeymoon in one and it was fantastic from the beginning. Business flights on Air Mauritius were excellent, the crew so friendly and gave us a bottle of champagne when they heard we were getting married.
The hotel is beautiful, the staff amazing, soooo friendly, funny and generous. Gino the entertainments guy was a brilliant, from taking us out dancing in the evening to being our witness at the wedding. The wedding day was special, we had it on the beach with cake and champagne and good wishes from the staff and guests. However, some of our european neighbours appear to be a little uncomfortable about mixed race relationships and we did get stared at rather rudely during our stay which dampened our spirits at times.
Mauritius is a beautiful country, we reccommend quad biking as you go high in the mountains and the scenery is breath taking. The food at the hotel is nice, there's lots of it but by the second week a bit boring. Same for the entertainment. We stayed in a delux palm room which is well worth it, loads of space and a huge outdoor terrace with loungers, brilliant for breakfast and reading late in the afternoon. I would go back tomorow and cannot rate it high enough! This was a holiday of a lifetime and a dream wedding rolled into one.

A great holiday place

I travelled to Mauritius in late November, I booked the Merville through an internet company called Ocean Island Tours, they sell accommodation and rep services, but not flights. When I compared their price for a single traveller and checked the flight costs this worked out to be £500 cheaper than Kuoni, BA holidays etc, therefore allowing me to upgrade my flights to World Traveler plus and go for a Superior room at the Merville and still be cheaper than the other companies. After arriving in Mauritius met by a rep who was expecting me & my wife, but when I explained it was only me, she escorted me to a waiting taxi who transported me direct to the Merville, so no waiting around in a minibus for other travellers. The transfer to the Merville took about 90 minutes, due to hitting Port Louis in rush hour, normal should be about 60 mins. On arrival at the Merville you are met with a cold towel, very welcome and a tropical cocktail (non-alcolholic), as my room was not ready (it was only 9.00AM), I was told I could take breakfast in the restaurant, I headed to the bar for a fruit juice as the over night flight had given me plenty of food, before I could finish my drink I was told my room was ready.
After unpacking and a quick nap, I explored the hotel and first impressions were very good, pool looked inviting, still sun loungers available by the pool, and on the beach and it was about midday. Went to the boathouse to get a beach towel, they were all very friendly asking me what I wanted to do while in Mauritius, the hotel offers I wide range of water sports including windsurfers, dinghies, kayaks, water skiing, glass bottom boat ride and these are all included in the price.

Monday night is Managers cocktail party, to meet the management team, Saturday is lobster night on the beach (payable extra), The food alternates between a set menu and themed buffets around the pool. I found the food very good, and although I am not a great sea food lover usually found something to my liking. On both my Saturday nights I went out in Grand Baie and ate out, there is a reasonable choice of restaurants and if you want to keep up with sport back home, the Banana bar has a large screen projection TV that shows football from back home. Grand Baie is a 15 min walk or a 100rupee taxi ride.

Trips done
Quad bikes - about a hour taxi ride to the south of the island to L'Etoile, great fun I had not been on a quad bike before, but you soon get used to them, great views up in the mountains, surprised to see deer there, but best part was opening up the bikes going through the sugar fields going up to 50Kph, one tip, you get very dirty, so a change of clothes is useful. After the bikes lunch and then archery in the afternoon cost £70 well worth it.
Blue Safari - about 20mins from hotel, you go out on small boat to the mother ship, where there are 2 submarines, I went down in the 1100 sub that takes 10 people and the captain, you go out to a buoy, and then drop down 35m, and see a shipwreck, old anchor and lots of fish, the dive take about 40mins, cost £60 + taxi

Trip to Port Louis, shopping, not my favourite part of a trip, but at the village of Arsenal on the way, factory shops, selling all known brands of clothing, next time you buy in the UK, see if it is made in Mauritius. It's hard looking and big jumpers and coats when in 32C outside. Port Louis is the capital, starts with a trip to a duty free shop, but the smallest carpet is £600, so just say no! The to a mall with lots of shops to get all those gifts. cost 1000 rupees taxi.

Was going to play some golf and go deep sea fishing but did not get round to it, maybe next time!

I stayed all-inclusive which is a bargain at £20 a day, drinking 3 or 4 bottles of water a day would cost 2.50euros each, a beer 2.50euros each, lunch 10 euros. Only downside is you have to sign for everything even when the bill is zero.

Trip to airport in a taxi by myself again, took about 50mins, as we left the hotel a 5.45AM!!!! Met at the airport by a rep as soon as I got out of the taxi who took my bag all the way to check-in.

Overall a great holiday, made even better by the staff, who are all very friendly, even when you meet them out of the hotel.

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member venica

We stayed at the Merville in February 2006 and had our wedding there. Everything about this holiday was fantastic. The service and the people who work in the hotel are first class - the atmosphere in the hotel is so friendly. The view from our room was amazing - we had a huge balcony that overlooked the beach and the Indian Ocean. The food was lovely, the buffet nights were especially nice as there was lots to choose from.

The wedding day was amazing - it was so stress free - we had a wonderful day.

I can highly recommend this hotel and hope to visit again one day.

Superb value

by TripAdvisor Member AdenDeb

We stayed at the MB in late Feb early March this year for a fortnight. The hotel is superb, much more like a 4* than a 3*.

Can't agree with the previous poster about the food being mediocre – for a 3* the food was pretty good – breakfasts were excellent buffets and dinner was either excellent buffets or table d'hote - 4-course menus with two options for the mains. The food was not Gordon Ramsay levels, but varied and enjoyable and the service is faultless. If anything, after two weeks I came home feeling incapable of doing anything for myself, you're so well looked after there.

The staff are lovely – quiet, polite, warm and discreet. Nothing is too much trouble. For the first time ever, we spent 14 days here and never left the hotel to eat elsewhere, partly because Grand Baie looked a ramshackle, uninspiring place (do not base yourselves at the MB just to have the option of a lively town nearby; it looked very lacklustre) and partly because we noticed quite a few Mauritian couples coming to the hotel for a 'dinner out'.

As for the rooms: couldn't ask for anything more; they were big, comfy, spotlessly clean, with brilliant Bollywood channels and free to air English football. They also had fantastic views over the ocean, which is the bluest I've seen anywhere in the world (bluer than Fiji, even).

The pool is lovely, like bathwater. Loads of sunloungers to go round.

The beaches are good, but not amazing: one feels man-made (the horseshoe shape one featured on the brochure page) and the larger one is reduced to a narrow stretch at high tide. They are good beaches, and the sea is breathtaking - turquoise and warm – but they're not quite the beaches you'll find in, say, Thailand or Fiji or the Maldives.

The entertainment is good, especially the local Sega night.

Best to go half board or all-inclusive? I'd say it depends on how big a drinker you are: if you drink more than 4 or 5 beers a night and like one or two through the day, you're best to go all-incl. If you're happy with 3 or 4 a night and can stick to water for the day, it's gonna come out about the same price. Any doubts, go all-inc, especially as Grand Baie is not exactly downtown Manhattan.

For a 3* star hotel this place is excellent, the staff lovely. We had a great, relaxing time (despite 4 days being lost to a cyclone). However, for those looking for a wild, natural beach and island with a real cultural buzz to it, I'm not sure – Mauritius definitely has the mood of a 'playground' island for foreign tourists.

an in depth review

After arriving at the Melville Beach and finding that our rooms were not ready for us (we had been travelling for 26 hours with connecting flights) but would be shortly, we were directed to the restaurant for breakfast. An hour or so later we were shown to one of our rooms (we had taken two of our children with us and had asked for rooms next to each other or interconnecting) the other not being ready. Shattered, we all fell asleep for the rest of the morning. I was the first to wake and decided to have a shower and try and do some unpacking. I soon noticed a musty smell in the room (although air conditioning was on)and this bothered me. We had upgraded and had two superior rooms. The smell intensified and reminded me of damp mouldy cellars although no mould could be found. The towels in the bathroom, although clean, had seen plenty of better days and needed to be replaced. When my husband awoke I told him that I was not happy to spend my holiday in a room that smelt so fusty and didn't think it would be healthy for us or our children to continue to do so. We packed our children off for a swim and we approached reception to see if anything could be done for us. We upgraded again to deluxe interconnecting rooms in thatched cottage rooms in the lovely gardens just a few steps from the beach. This was much better, although to be honest, needed a complete redecoration. The air conditioning unit was noisy and kept me awake at night, and there were plenty of lizards in the childrens room to keep them amused by throwing balls of socks at them!!

The location and hotel grounds were really lovely. The grounds were well kept and clean. The hotel staff couldn't have been nicer. The beach was one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. Plenty of sun loungers (didn't have to fight for any and nobody putting towels there and leaving them all day). The watersports facilities were very good for children and adults with free waterskiing plus lessons. The beach was very clean and lovely for walks along each way with little bays and rocks for fishing. It really does look like the picture in the brochures. The swimming pool had seen better days too. Quite a few tiles missing and a bit shabby. The food in the morning was buffet style with plenty of choice. In the evenings we found that the buffet was better than the menu choice. We felt hungry if it was the buffet evvening and looked forward to breakfast the next morning. We ate lunch at the hotel (when we weren't on any trips) and these were okay. All in all, we booked a last minute holiday to Mauritius, checked the Hotel's reviews which were good and had nine nights. We had good service, a fabulous location, good meals on the buffet evenings and felt completely safe with the lovely people of Mauritius who were kind and courteous. All the good points outweighed the negatives, and would definitely go back to the same place if it was refurbished which it needs in various places.

Mauritius is amazing

by TripAdvisor Member Lucy19

Flew with BA - flight was excellent. Arrived in Mauritius in the morning in the pouring rain but it only lasted a few hours and the rest of the holiday the sun shone.

On arriving at the hotel our room was not ready so we were given a drink and a refreshing wet cloth. We only waited about 30 minutes before our room was ready. The room itself was ok. It needed touched up with paint but otherwise very clean and had a lovely view. The beach at the hotel is amazing and the water really is what it looks like in the brochures. We mainly stayed at the beach and so did the rest of the people in the hotel but it was never over busy. The pool area was very quiet and very few people sat around it. The pool requires new tiles to areas but was clean and always being cleaned.
The bar area of the hotel is nice and the staff are very friendly and helpful always looking for when your drink is finished so they can bring over another one.

There is no iron, tea, coffee facilties in the room and we had to go into Grand Baie to buy an iron because our travel iron broke. (however this only cost 200 rupees - about £4)

The food at night is excellent on buffet nights and has a lot to choose from, however on set table menu nights there is little to choose (2 or 3 choices) from and sometimes it was quite hard to get something you liked but we did manage. (We did not see any dishes suitable for vegetairians but they are so helpful I can only imagine they would prepare a meal on request) The buffet nights are every alternative evening. The hotel is very quiet after 10pm and not many people were about the bar area. The evening entertainment went on until about midnight and was ok.

All in all the hotel is fine it just requires some cosmetic touch up. Staff are very good to the extent that only after a few days they know you by name and room number.

A nice place to stay

We went to the Merville for a two week stay. On the whole it was a lovely holiday - very relaxing - lovely beach, friendly/helpful people, good sight seeing..... The accommodation is ok - as expected for a 3* accommodation. However, it could do with updating and looks a bit shabby in places. The restaurant and bar area are fairly clean but birds are often seen in the restaurant and this is a bit of a health hazard - I think the management of the hotel need to really look into this one. The breakfasts were fantastic - a great selection. The lunches were very good and the evening meals were OK (the buffet salads could do with being covered). The boathouse staff and the choice of water sports available were excellent. We went all inclusive and would definately recommend this option as lunch can set you back about 15-20 euros each (snack, ice-cream,soft drink) and coctails cost around 6 euros plus taxes etc.. ). We went on the trip to the sister hotel at Coco Island - it was wonderful! We definately recommend this trip - great value for money!
We would definately return to the Merville again if it was updated.

wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member razibus

wonderful hotel, very nice and helpful staff.
Rooms are very clean, roomy and well decorated.
Breakfast offers a large choice.
Very good value !

The public beach at Pereybere, MauritiusThe public beach at Pereybere, Mauritius

Blue Marlin beer, MauritiusBlue Marlin beer, Mauritius

Crackling Spicy Prawns at La JonqueCrackling Spicy Prawns at La Jonque

Wantons at Palais de Chine, Grand BaieWantons at Palais de Chine, Grand Baie

Hotel for Friends

by Tashi3

Finally booked! Going to the Dinarobin for 7 nights and getting married there and then on to Legends for our honeymoon for 14 nights next September/October. A couple of friends are coming with us but obviously dont want to spend a fortune - any recommendations for nice hotels they can stay at near to Legends on the North coast?

RE: Hotel for Friends

by jacsilversurfer

HI...The Le Victoria is a lovely hotel on a very good beach.A cheaper Beachcomer hotel is Le Mauricia which has lovely gardens and great meals.The Merville Beach is fine and is,like Le Mauricia ,just a walk to town which saves on taxi fares.All these hotels are very good. Cheers jackie

mauritius weather

by orsivoros

hello,
we`re going to mauritius in february and i would like to have some info about the weather there.some says its too hot this time and you`d better go in june-july, some says january-february is the best.i dont mind hot, but i do mind rain.if someone could help me out would be very-very useful.
thanks in advance
orsi

by alien_species

Hi

I think that you will love Mauritius, it is a busy vibrant place , ethnically diverse, with some good beaches and the views of the jagged peaks towards the interior have a really special quality.
It is very easy to pay too much for something which has been inflated in price to suit the rich set of European and South African tourists that form the main visitor profile.... so research your location a bit in advance perhaps?

Regarding the weather, I feel uneasy about this response, because I seem to read that you are already booked for February!
Anyway I have to be truthful and say that your advisors are right, you are taking a real gamble with Feb.

Spend some time at

( make sure you click the blac/white labels at the top of each page and look for extended data...)
but statistically the differences are very clear!

Let me know if I can help...

David

PS remember to research the odds of cyclone damage/tropical storms by month.

by phdi

hi
februari is ok its hot but not that hot you have more change for cyclones , the best time to go is oct,nov,
june julie is colder been 10 times and the weather can be compliet different from year to year there is no garantie i always go for 1 month and the weather can be bad for a few days thats it . if you want to go cheap lok at www.trochetia.com
have alot of fun

by TOMAN71

I'm just back from the island . Normally Feb. is not really the best season but normally in Mauritius the weather is pretty good all the year. Normally the east cost is to avoid due windy condition , but maybe in Feb. is the good time for visit it . The best places are near GrandBye ( NorthWest ) for the weather . You can enjoy for shopping ( low prices ) . Low cost hotel , but good quality , is the Merville Beach . You can also choose same flat ( GrandBye or Perebyre ) from 12 to 25 Euro each person for night . If you need more info please write.
Andrea

by MoniSue

Hi, I was in Mauritius last year in August and now in December until January. In December and January it was very hot. Always when the tempartures fall down it began to rain. Mostly in the nights. So the humity was high after the rainfalls. In August the temperatures were very nice so between 22 to 27 °C and very dry. Perfect. Mauritius has only two seasons summer from November to April and Winter from May to Oktober.
In February there are a lot of Cyclones the Mauritien people told me. But somehow, Mauritius is so beautiful. When I am away from this wonderful place I am always homesick for Mauritius.

Infos about Hotel Colonial Beach??

by Nati74

I would like to get some information about the Colonial Beach Hotel.It is not the Coconut!!!!
It is very important, because it is only a **+ rated hotel.
If anybody has a personal experience would be the best for me.
Thank you very much!!
Nati

RE: Infos about Hotel Colonial Beach??

by marierosy1

The colonial Hotel is in the nord of the Island, the hotel itself is very nice but the beaches is not the same as Trou aux Biches, Mont Choisy or Pereybere.
Otherwise there is also Merville Hotel in Grand Baie or Coralia in Mont Choisy who are very nice place, Le Canonnier or Tarisa Hotel to are not bad,you will have access to more beautiful beaches than Colonial, should you need more infos please do not hesitate to contact me or should you need some tips for the dicovery of the island it will be with graet plaesure.

RE: RE: Infos about Hotel Colonial Beach??

Thank you very much.
Unfortunately I cant change the Hotel. And thanks for the satellite picture, I know its beach.
Thanks

RE: RE: RE: Infos about Hotel Colonial Beach??

Thanks

RE: RE: RE: Infos about Hotel Colonial Beach??

Thanks

RE: RE: Infos about Hotel Colonial Beach??

by cowboybob

Most of the Hotels in Mauritius are of very high standards compare to other popular tourists destinations. This apply to the gastronomy. You will not be dissapointed on these aspects.

Comments