4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

More about Legends

LEGENS HOTEL

by stelios-fotini

We stayed at legends hotel at Grand Gaube a 4 stars superior.The hotel was perfect,the service excellent and the food (especially the buffet) the best i had in a hotel. the architecture was based on Feng Shui,something obvious all around the hotel, and included a spa private beach 4 restaurants and water sports(free). Did i mentionned the open bathtab in the center of the rooms (I was on my honeymoon what you expect???)

One word PARADISE

We stayed at the legends hotel for our honeymoon in October and I can definitely say that we made the right choice.I would recommend it to anyone. As veggies we were made special meals when requested, staff were extremely friendly and approachable. we were treated like royality. The beach and facilities were excellent.

Pure and Utter Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member ranger5322

We recently spent a week at legends hotel March 2006 after spending the previous week in Cape Town, South Africa.
The holiday was for my parent’s 50th Golden Wedding Anniversary and prior to leaving I had emailed the Legends explaining the nature of our holiday. From the airport the trip took us just over the hour and on arrival we were welcomed by management and given cold towels which were so refreshing and glass of Champagne. My dad was asked to do the “sabrage” which is the chance to be initiated into champagne sabrage. Once a guest succeeds in mastering the art, he is inducted as a swordsman and receives his personal Sabreur Diploma, which I am proud to say my dad mastered on his first attempt.
We were taken to our room which they had kindly upgraded us to, a de-luxe room which was a “water element” room, it was out of this world and given that we arrived at 11pm, there was a light meal, of cold meats, bread etc, and a bowl full of fresh fruit waiting for us. Mum and dad had a bottle of champagne on ice in their room waiting for them. The room was spacious, modern and exceptionally clean, in the bathroom area, was a massive bath, his and hers sinks, a separate shower cubicle and separate toilet, loads of wardrobe space and drawers for all your clothes. We had a very large bed, tea/coffee making facilities and TV, you can only get Sky TV at certain times of the day! There was also a water feature in our room which was very soothing to listen to at night.A patio door leading to our balcony with table and chairs and a view over the Indian Ocean was truly wonderful to wake up to each morning. Also in the room was a mini bar which was well stocked and re stocked each day, as we went AI that too was free.
All Inclusive to us was the best option, and I think is a must as Mauritius hotel prices can be expensive. The AI option meant that you can have dinner at all four restaurants and also lunch and afternoon pancakes. The four restaurants are the Gingko, The Karma, The Abalone and the La Bastide.
The Gingko restaurant is where you would eat each day/night if you went on the half board basis. They had theme nights and the food was good.
The Karma, easily my favourite was out of this world. The service was exceptional and next to the Karma is the Spirit Lounge Bar, a lovely bar with a piano, totally superb for coffee and liquors afterwards.

The La Bastide restaurant,we found most popular for lunch,it does open in the evenings and whilst we were there opened 3 nights a week, the restaurant is open aired and overlooks the sea. The food here is good but nothing to me beats the Karma.
The Abalone restaurant, was lovely and down on the beach, the menu was a little on the small side, but again the meals we had were excellent.
I have to say that the food was of a very high standard and excellent, I really couldn’t fault it at all.
The staff and management were always on hand and totally helpful and friendly. Probably the best I've ever experienced.
There are two beaches at the hotel, the main beach closest to the reception was fairly busy and nearly all of the beds had towels on them by 8am, the 2nd beach is further around the back and was a lot quieter, it has it's own beach bar and shades. The beaches are beautiful,just how you imagine the Indian Ocean to be, the water is a turquoise colouramd in March it was warm. The waiters on beach duty would often bring you around cucumber slices for your eyes, also pizza nibbles and fresh fruit. They even clean your sunglasses for you, it was pure paradise.
There are also two swimming pools, I am a beach lover so never went in them but many people did.
I didn’t use the gym but looked inside and the equipment was of a very high standard and I only ever saw one person in there in the whole week. My mum and I went and had a coffee scrub in the spa followed by a 20 minute neck, back and shoulders massage which was extremely professional,and was also included in our AI option. My dad and husband had a 45 minute back massage. The spa offers many other treatments.

Of an evening people do tend to dress up and there was a mixture of people staying at the hotel, honeymoon couples, older couples as well as families.
My opinion is the hotel is truly wonderful and it really is paradise.As another report stated, the outside world ceases to exist and I strongly have to agree with that comment. If you are looking for a quiet and luxurious relaxing holiday with good food and excellent accommodation,Legends is the place for you. If you are thinking of going to Mauritius I would strongly recommend this hotel, I would have no hesitation what so ever in returning there, we all loved every minute we were there.

Amazing resort

I stayed at Legends for a week in July as the first leg of our honeymoon and it was simply amazing. From the very first moment we pulled up at the hotel we were stunned by how beautiful Legends is.
After a glass of sparkling wine we were shown to our room and informed that we had been upgraded to a junior suite. This room was huge with its own sun terrace and jacuzzi.
We went AI and I would recommend this as you can eat in any of the restraunts and simply eat or drink as much as you like, which includes emptying the mini bar every day.The main Gingko restaurant is fine but the Karma house is best for dinner. During the day La Bastide serves fantastic pizzas and pastas.
The cocktails served in Grand Bleu in the evenings are first class, and very strong!
The beach is stunning and there are plenty of watersports to keep you entertained.
All in all we loved our time here and would love to go back!

Legends made my honeymoon magical!

I stayed at Legends for 9 nights for my honeymoon and loved every second of it. We had a junior suite which had a terrace and huge jacuzzi bath and stunning view of the beach and the island of Gunner's Quoin.

The food was excellent in my opinion and I felt that the all-inclusive option was pretty generous in terms of what drink you could order- we had some lovely South-African wine. I would however agree that the portions of some of the meals were too small and had I been paying full price I would have complained.

The staff were friendly and courteous and when I tripped over and hurt my foot the hotel nurse was so attentive: he called up twice over 24 hours to check I was ok and offered several times to arrange for me to see a doctor.

The main beach did get a little crowded at times but there is another one tucked away behind a block of rooms.

Another tip for anyone staying at Legends is to have a treatment at the spa. They're not cheap but are definitely worth the money. I had a face and neck massage that was absolutely wonderful.

Very Disappointing. Don't be fooled.

by TripAdvisor Member delrae

If you have never been to Mauritius before you may be excused for thinking this resort is remotely acceptable. We stayed in a deluxe room. It was dark and dingy and it felt like I had stepped back into the eighties. The furniture was old. The room had a musty smell and was not cleaned properly. You can hear the people walking above you at night. The bed was as hard as a rock. I think boot camp would be more luxurious. The food was average. The breakfast offering was scant. The pool is the size of a postage stamp. The beach is well... not really a beach but more like a bay extended into a makeshift beach. It does not really feel like you are in Mauritius at this resort. The sea is grassy underfoot and the water is murky. There is no atmosphere in the hotel. In fairness the staff were very friendly. However, when we tried for an upgrade, willing to pay a bit extra, the prices they quoted could buy a luxury townhouse in Mayfair, London. The prices for food and wine etc are totally ridiculous. The health spa is okay but far from brilliant. The prices are crazy. There are mostly only french tv channels and movies. There are no dvd players in the room. The movies in the cinema are also in French with English subtitles. The taxi drivers serving the hotel are very nice and the concierge service was good. However in closing I would not ever return to Legends or recommend it. Infact we decided to leave a few days earlier. We have stayed at Le Tousse Rock, Club Med, La Pirogue and Le Telfair. La Pirogue is also a 4 star resort and 100 times better. Legends is marketed under the pretext of "feng shui" but this is nothing more than a clever marketing ploy to justify poor/shortcut design choices and a bad location. Don't be fooled by the pictures on the website like we were because the resort does not look as good or feel refurbished and fresh. If anything it is in need of a serious revamp. After searching for a place to stay for approx. 6 months and reading all the reviews on Tripadvisor we were very disappointed. Perhaps we should have paid more attention to the bad reviews and understood that if you have never been to Mauritius you'd think this place was acceptable. The value you get does not correspond to the price you pay.

Great - all inclusive is a must

by TripAdvisor Member petperth

Don't go if you wish intimacy or exclusivity. The resort was full when we stayed, the service was still excellent but there were alot of people sitting down to dinner every night and the non buffet restaurant was full. We did just turn up very early or late without booking and managed to get tables.
The watersports are superb but you can't really swim in the sea as its silty (I'd guess purpose built resort.) Staff are very attentive and very generous with the coktails and wine, definitely go inclusive it's worth every penny.
The place was honeymoon city, we counted at least 40 couples when we were there!

Legends ~ the truth

by TripAdvisor Member vacationvulture

Beautiful resort, beautiful grounds and very friendly staff. We stopped for two weeks AI but would not stop there again, even if I won the holiday as a prize. As seasoned travellers, we have stopped in accommodation ranging from five star luxury, to 50p a night guest houses in the far east and exclusive Maldivian islands. Mauritius didn't grab us particularly and the hotel even less. Breakfasts were probably the best meal of the day, lunch was not particularly inspiring (i don't recall 3 small pieces of feta cheese on a bed of spinach constituting as a Greek Salad). Lunch, if it wasn't buffet was a huge disappointment ~ beautifully presented but too small a portion ~ thank goodness for the AI minibar! The resort appeared pretty souless with guests even afraid to talk in a loud voice ~ no one seemed at ease and things only livened up when 50 aussies arrived in one go! The service and standards are impeccable but sadly the compromise was on the guests ~ no one being themselves and not at ease. Whilst Legends is a 5* AI, we took a walk to the next nearest hotel (3*) in Grande Gaube and had a coffee in the lounge area ~ whilst the standard of the hotel was noticibly less than that of Legends (allbeit very nice), the hotel guests appeared more at ease, relaxed and enjoying themselves. All I can say is that Feng Shui embossed toilet paper does not nessarily mean your going to enjoy your stay there. Finally, the evening dress code for dinner was confusing ~ my husband was not allowed to wear tailored dress shorts (costing approx £50.00 a pair), but he could (if he wanted to) wear jeans and a t~shirt or even track suit bottoms ~ confused???? you will be.

Great Hotel

We have travelled extensively in Europe, North America and the Caribbean and have eaten in some of the best restaurants in France and we think that our Legends experience was amongst those of the best holidays we have ever taken. Of course we could be being very naïve because indeed we have never been to Mauritius before. We visited the resort at New Year 2005/2006 for two weeks. We stayed in a deluxe room, which was beautiful with a lovely view out over the lagoon. It was very clean and modern with a lovely firm bed, which I think is very good for your posture and certainly we slept well in it. There was a mini bar, which was restocked every day. We also had a fountain since the element for our rooms was water. (You are able to switch it off)

The beach is of coarse sand, and there are plenty sun beds on it even although at that time of the year the hotel was almost full. The staff at the beach were wonderful. Drinks were brought to us, our sunglasses were cleaned, we were even given cool pieces of cucumber to sooth our eyes. There seemed to a great many water sport activities, and even the beach vendors were polite and friendly and did not bother you if you did not want to buy anything.

There are many different places to eat, and we ate in all of them. The food was without exception excellent, and the service was first –rate. The breakfast was buffet style and there was in my opinion a good choice. This was the only time that we ever ate buffet style when we were at Legends, although if you wanted there were several evenings that you could try the various buffets at the Ginko restaurant. We were on the All Inclusive option and I believe that this was best way to enjoy Legends. We did eat out on a few occasions and were not disappointed then either.

There is not a great deal of entertainment in the evening but then we did not expect it to be Las Vegas. It was adequate for us. There is a large mix of different nationalities visit Legends and in many ways this is part of its charm.

I think the staff at Legends were superb. They go out of their way to be helpful. From girl that gave me my manicure at the spa to the taxi driver who took us on one of our days out they all were friendly and thoughtful. We were very sad to leave legends, and will most certainly think about going back there.

Honeymooners

We stayed at Legends for 10 days for our honeymoon. Unfortunately although my husband had tried to book a suite there were none left so we had to make do with a superior 'water' room.

On arrival we were given a glass of champagne and shown to our room which was fine, quite big with a raised bathroom area and bath which had a view out to the see. I would say the room was 'pleasant' but not overly luxurious - a bit dated looking.

We were all inclusive and I would recommend it to anyone going to legends as it means that you can eat at any of the restaurants (and there are a few to choose from) as well as have food bought to you on the beach for free and anything you want from the mini-bar which is re-stocked daily (drinks are included but not wine over a certain price and not champagne - you have to pay extra for these). We found the food on the resort to be excellent, varied from seafood to pizza to 5-course taster menus on the 'gala night'. My favourite meal was grilled fish kebabs with fresh mango salsa from 'La Bastide' the outside beachy restaurant - YUM. The hotel also organised a honeymoon meal for us on the beach which for any honeymooners I would absoultely recommend. They set up a table with white covered chairs etc and loads of flowers on the beach, and musicians come and serenade you. We loved it (see pics). One tip is to ask if it is possible to have your meal at one of the suites if they are not occupied as only after our meal did we find out we could have done this.

Nightlife wasn't wild but I don't think you would expect it from a resort like this. We made friends with another couple and just had a few drinks with them in the bar at night. Some cheesy disco music played by local band but all good fun.

To sum up we had a great honeymoon although I wish we'd been able to get a suite as our room was okay but not out of this world. I can't find fault with the staff who were excellent (I broke my toe on the second last day and they were really helpful), or the food which we loved. The resort in general is lovely and I would recommend a visit.

May 2007 - Legends Hotel

by AvyH

Hi there!

My partner and I are thinking of either the Maldives or Mauritius as our holiday next year. What is the weather like in May? I've read that it's at the start of their winter season, so would it be a bit cold?

Also, is the Legends hotel nice?

Or are we likely to get better weather in the Maldives?

Thanks in advance to everyone :)

May 2007 - Legends Hotel

by AvyH

Hi there!

Also, is the Legends hotel nice?

Or are we likely to get better weather in the Maldives?

Thanks in advance to everyone :)

Honeymoon at the Legends Hotel

by Sajal

I have booked a honeymoon for me and my future wife at the Legends Hotel in Grand Gaube during the last week of June.
The holiday brochure seemed to suggest this was a large and popular hotel. However, I can't find many reviews of the hotel in the Internet and it is not featured on the main Mauritius web sites (including Virtual Tourist).
Has anyone stayed at the Legends? Can you please give me an opinion as to what it is like. Also, what activities are there in the local area? Are there any good restraurants?

Thanking you in advance.

Sajal
Sajal

Re: Honeymoon at the Legends Hotel

by annerose

Hi sajal

Le Legends is new renovated, the name before was
Grand Gaube Hotel
this is why, you fing nothing

it is a wunderfull house, only the beach is not very long

a busstop in 10 min walking distanz and in the region with he best weather in mru

more infos