Riviere des Galets Chemin Grenier, Chemin Grenier, Mahebourg
Shanti Maurice A Nira Resort
Hotels.com Booking.com Official Site

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Mahébourg

view from the spireview from the spire

like a beer ?like a beer ?

Le Val Nature Park, MauritiusLe Val Nature Park, Mauritius

Belle Mare, MauritiusBelle Mare, Mauritius

chikungunya

by powerpuff

Hi

can anyone tell me about the outbreak of chikungunya in mahebourg and in other towns of mauritius? newspapers seem to be playing things down and I intend to travel there in the next few weeks.... thanks!

by BluBluBlu

That does not sound fun at all! Just read the most recent reports! I love Mauritius...but if you can get a refund I'd leave it for another time!

Blu

by anet20

We are going to North of Island in Mauritius 0n 1st March for 3 weeks which we have paid for and have read that REunion has real problems and troops are going to spray the island and that there are a few cases in the south of Mauritius, and are obviously concerned and not sure what to do. Would be grateful for any further info particularly from anyone living in Mauritius.

by GoUp

I've get an info that those people on Mauritius was before on Reunion and that this virus is still not present on Mauritius.
But they are sure that in near future mosquitos with this virus will be on Mauritius.
Europian people which live on mauritius said to me, that I need only to take insecticide with me and nothing to concern.
I will go there in April.

by anet20

Have just looked on Tropical diseases london website and they recommend using insect repellant day and night. The foreign office have no information on their site so will go in March with lots of deet insect repellant.

by princesscaz

I wouldn't worry about this virus. I am going to Mauritius in 1 week to work in a hospital. I have been talking to doctors in Mauritius and they have said that there is nothing to worry about. No cases have been proven to have been contracted in Mauritius. The island of Reunion is about 1.5 hours flight away, so contamination and spread is unlikely.
Best advice is to use a good mosquito repellent. I will be using Autan, works a treat!

by yussufay

When we heard about Chicungunia... and the symptoms... many people with fever etc went to the hospital and say that they have been bitten by the mosquitoes and perhaps they have chicungunia. There are more than 200 up to now but very few among them have got the virus.

Reunion is just 20 mins from us... 1.5 hours is Madagascar in the west... or Rodrigues around 1 hour.

Some precaution about Chicungunia is that you can use the anti-mosquito creams... or use some aromatherapy products such as citronella oil or geranium oil...

by Partyhat

Well up to today the official number of cases is 225 confirmed. Most cases I believe are from the Mahebourg region but some cases have been reported (not confirmed) in some other areas as well. Nothing to be alarmed but basic precaution must be taken. Most of the hotels, from what I have heard, are already taking measures to get rid of mosquitoes in their vicinity.
As a comparison last year around the same period there were 3500 cases reported in the Port Louis region and with the coming of the cooler months ( June to Aug ) the spread was contained. In Reunion Island they had their first outbreak last year in Feb and even during "winter" the number of cases have been on constant rise even though slower in the winter months. During the warmer days the number of cases has skyrocketed to a peak of more than 70,000 cases confirmed. This should give a good comparison of the situation in Reunion and Mauritius. The cases in Mauritius this year are believed to have been imported from people coming from Reunion island so there is strict control at the airport for people coming from Reunion.

by Jeremiah_Bullfrog

I have read that the virus cannot be spread from person to person - only by the mosquito. We are leaving (Australia) for Mauritius in 2 weeks with our 4 year old and are getting more concerned by the day. I have also read that the mosquitoes have not yet made their way to Mauritius and that those infected have all been to Reunion where they are believed to have contracted the virus - anyone know anything more???

by gill52

We are due to stay in Mauritius early March. We are staying at Beau Rivage on the east coast. Last night we rang the hotel and they said that the virus was mainly in the south and not affecting the east coast. Does anyone have any more news? Many thanks

by sangha123

I believe children are more prone to bites and I'm much more worried about my six year old then us parents. We're booked to go to Beau Rivage towards the end of March. We've been to Mauritus a couple of times already and generally we've found the mosquito situation totally not a problem although they are present. I think our party of three may have been bitten once or twice only during a 7 night stay and from what I remember it was on the minibus transfer to the hotel. From friends we have on the island we would not go to the Rochester falls or the Ille aux cerfs area during this visit which is a real shame. I'm still trying to get more info. rajsangha@ntlworld.com

by vrba

I've read all your emails and I would like to know from those who already have been to Mauritius in the meantime, what is the situation over there. I'm planning to go there in april and I'm really worried about that.

by Partyhat

My wife works in a hotel on the West Coast and she goes to work everyday without even using insect repellent cream or spray. I do not use insect repellent when going to work.I am sure the majority of Mauritians do not use it during the day at work except for those who but nature of their work might be exposed to mosquitoes infected areas.

Travel Tips for Mahébourg

Kite surf!

by ludogatto

If u like kite there are some perfect spot in the south east of the island.
If u want more info go to this website where u can fidn sole info onthe best accomodation too!

Mahebourg & Eastern Mauritius

by victorwkf

Let me share with you some information and photographs taken in the beautiful seaside town of Mahebourg as well as various locations in the eastern part of Mauritius. Hope you find them useful, and perhaps can give your comments and ratings.

Comments