Au sud-ouest de l_Ile Maurice, Le Morne

Costs 54% less but rated 22% lower than other 4 star hotels

More about Indian Resort

First Impressions that run out

by wild.goose about Indian Resort - Apavou Hotels

When you first arrive at Indian Resort, you'd feel as if you've made the right choice of accomodation - The gateway and driveway into the hotel gives you an impression of exclusivity and prestiege, as you turn into the round about that is a koi-filled fountain, the resort resonates such grandeur you can't wait to check in. Unfortunately this hotel lacks in several little things that make a hotel stay comfortable and for the guest to feel special. Particularly because this hotel has promised to much, it has disappointed heavily. To begin with, a dive trip which we processed before arriving at the hotel and were assured of was infact not processed and we were not able to dive (which was one of the purposes of our being at this hotel). Though the hotel boasts 3 restaurants, the food is infact anything from delectable and if you do crave genuine and tasteful Mauritian flare, I'd recommend you best eat out. the discerning diner will also notice that food is recycled from the different meals and sometimes go bad without much notice. Also bug in the dining experience is the hoast of flies that will contest to share your meal.

In our room, lights were not working, the heater of the shower was not working, and neither was the air conditioning - which was the most uncomfortable part. Further, it took several calls before a tachnician was finally sent to fix 1of the 3 issues. Every room has a seaview, and nightly live jazz band. Every night at 9.30pm the hotel's Sega dancers and musicians come on. After seeing a few Sega dances, this hotel does feature some talents that are worth hanging around till late to appreciate their whole act. A spa and water sports house that has everything from kite surfing to wind surfing, surfing, snorkelling and diving. A wonderful pool house that offers ladies aqua arobics. And even a surf wear shop for those who forgot to pack for the beach!

A good resort

by TripAdvisor Member Fabio55

I am just back from seven days spent at Indian Resort with my wife and my 7 years old son. I fully agree with the review of dwalton61 and I can say that the resort is without any doubt a 4 stars hotel. I am Italian and so I am very concerned about the food, the location and the cleanliness. The food was good thanks to two Italian chefs working there and we have been at the main restaurant, at the Italian restaurant, at the Indian restaurant and at the beach restaurant.
The room was a Privilege Room, very large, well equipped and very clean. The beach is very good, clean and with many sun beds available. Unfortunately, the location of this resort has a drawback: the strong wind. It was a drawback for me because I do not surf while would be a strong point for a surfer. Please be aware that the resort is very isolated and the first place with some shops and food outlets is 20-30 minutes away by car.
Please be free to contact me if you would need more specific information about this resort.

Ace holiday

by TripAdvisor Member lollgreen

Have just arrived back hopme from the Indian Resort and am pleased to report we had a famntastic stay. The staff were ever helpful the place was spotless and the food was well up to scratch. One slight disappointment was our tour of Port Louis and the gardens of Pammplemoose, too much shopping involved ,Having said that ,it was not organised by the hotel but by our TO.
We also had a nice surprise from the hotel,and that was an anniversary cake made and presented to us by the catering staff who had somehow found out it was our anniversary.
Eveningwise there was entertainment every night in the form of dancers in the most elaborate of costumes ,dancing to a theme and one evening we were entertained by a variety of the staff.Most enjoyable.
Daytimes there was the pool absolutely fantastic almost horseshoe shaped and about 50 metres long and watersport for the fit brigade. A glass bottomed boat trip thrown in free of charge snorkleing etc.
Indian Resort Le Morne will always rate highly on my list of favourite holidays . Hope this review is helpful

Poor !

by TripAdvisor Member dav6876

Like my girlfriend this place is in sore need of a facelift ! The rooms are tired - Our one had a disgusting musty smell which lingered throughout the week (I began to look forward to the smell of my own farts – just for a change)

The food was bland and repetitive and after a week of eating the buffet I would rather have had a MacDonalds Cheeseburger, that said the pool and beach are nice.

Not sure if its standard practice but when ever you order and sign for something at the Indian resort the price is shown in Euros’ but when you come to pay your bill at the end of the week, the price is changed into Mauritian rupees - at a rubbish exchange rate ! anther thing they shaft you on !

Be warned by the 4 stars – its not !!!

Do not bother wasting your money

by TripAdvisor Member shunni25

I know this reveiw is a bit late (i should have really written it last year) but I suppose better late then never! I went to the Indian resort for my honeymoon for 2 weeks - jan 2nd - 25 jan 06. I would NEVER recommend anyone to stay at this hotel, the service from staff was rude and they could not speak english properly. Upon arrival the check in took forever, me and my husband were tired after the flight and severly jet lagged so we decided to order room service and sleep, the food arrived which was nothing special. After about 20 minutes the kitchen staff kept ringing to see if we had finished with our food so they could pick the tray which they needed for other guests in the hotel. I explained we were still eating, so they said they would call back they phoned us twice more in the space of 30 minutes and on the third call i told them they could pick the tray up as we were fed up with them ringin as we were trying to eat!!!! The bedroom we had was the Indianne room (their best room) the sheets smelt musty, the room also came with a lizard, the shower was dark and dingy as their was no light in the shower, the tv did not work properly even thought we complained on numerous occasions this was not rectified. We had an all inclusive package and the food was terrible my husband and myself survived mainly on pizza, pasta and salads, the buffet was always covered in flies and mosquitos, cats roamed the dining hall as well as ants and cockroaches. The lights in the pool were lose and floating in the water, the beach was dirty, the spa were we had our treatments had cockroaches on the floor, ants were crawling around on the bar and over fruit that was to be placed in the cocktails - when the bar staff were questioned about this by my husband, he was told this was normal and happens everyday!!!! As it was our honeymoon and we had payed a lot of money, we decided to make the best of the situation. But the crunch came when we dined in the indian resort's Indian resaturant (which has to be pre-booked) and my desert came accompained with ants as a side when my husband complained to the waiter he said nothing took the desert away. We were now one week into our honeymmon and me and my husband had, had enough so we comlpained to our tour operator in England who we had booked with and they advised us to speak to their representative based in the hotel , we did this on a friday and by Monday we were moved to the Hertiage Golf and Spa resort (which we had to pay bit extra for, but we didn't really are at this point we just wanted to leave the Indian Ressort!) about an hours drive away which was like a completly different world, wonderfuly clean and airy rooms, lovely beaches and pools, very friendly staff (who showed us around the day we checked in), gorgeous food and drink. As we were on a A.I. package this was also honoured at the Hertiage meaning we had complimentary spa treatments every day which was bliss!! Just what a honeymoon should be like! In short The Hertiage Golf and Spa Resort is worth its 5 stars and i would definately go back and recommended it to others. Incidently my cousin went to the heritage for his honeymoon and his wife and himself also loved the heritage!! Please do not waste your money at the Indian resort and spa it is more like a two star resort than a 4/5 star resort as it adverties itself.

Fantastic Hotel!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member dwalton61

I stayed at the Indian Resort early December 2006. Having read the terrible reviews prior to my departure, and also having now read ALL of the reviews for this resort, I feel very strongly about giving my opinions, as the reviews which degrade this resort are unrealistic, and utter rubbish, not to say the least!
I booked this holiday through a tour operator in November 2006; I travelled with my husband and another couple who are friends ours - we flew Business Class with Air Mauritius, and stayed in Privelege Room, All Inclusive for 14 nights. The reason why I had selected this resort was mainy for its location, and that it was value for money. The consultant I had booked with was friendly, helpful, and giving me all the information I needed. Additionally, my son was thinking about getting married there in late 2007, so this was a good opportunity to get first hand experience of the hotel.
After I booked the holiday my friend looked at reviews of the hotel (some were very negative) - I was very upset as we had all paid a lot of money for this holiday,and we were now very much dreading the thought of staying at hat hotel - I felt so put off from travelling. I then called my tour operator to explain the situation, who were willing to change my hotel, but after doing my own research we all decided to stay at the Indian Resort.
So when we finally arrived at the hotel (after a long 12 hour flight, and 1 hour transfer time), we were greeted by very friendly Guest Relations staff. We were given a welcome drink, a cold towel to get refreshed, and only waited for about 15 minutes before we got our rooms! I was impressed! Our rooms were clean and spacious, and although the rooms did not have a full sea view (which we already knew as our operator had told us), we did have a very, very distant sea view.
I'd like to keep this review as short as possible, whils making all the points necessary, so I'd like to say the following:
The rooms are excellent, (I did not see the Standard Room), but was told by staff that the majority of the rooms now have garden views due to the large numbers of trees which have been planted, and are now fully grown. The rooms a very clean and spacious with good pretty furnishings - the Privilege rooms have a safe and tea/coffee making facilities (Standard Rooms do not have this so beware if your agent tell you otherwise). For the last 2 nights of the holiday I stayed in a Suite, which was execellent - it was extremeley large with a huge bed room, and a sepeate living/dining rooms, with fanastic sea views.
All the staff members are extremely friendly - this also includes the bar staff, waiters, guest realations, Spa staff, entertainment, cleaners - nothing was ever too much for them, and they'd go out of the way to help as much as possible.
The All Inclusive is a very good option at this resort, as food/drinks can be very expensive. There's a choice of about 6 restaurants which can be used, however the a la carte restaurants, such as the Indian, Italian require prior reservations. Also, beware of the fact that although all the restaurants can be used, not all the food items are included in the All Inclsuive, therefore one has to pay supplements. The food variety was great at all of the restauants, and with the main buffet restaurant there is a differet theme every night - the turn around time is about 2 weeks, so we didn't have repepative food. Also, all the bars can be used, however only local drinks (alcoholic and non alcoholic) are included. The All Incusive option at this particular hotel is very attractive as there is a lot of flexibility with th bars/restaurants one can use - there are many hotels which usually hav restrictions to 1 main restaurant/bar.
The beach was very nice, with an excellent lagoon. The watersports (many of which are free) were a lot of fun. We also used the PADI dive, but this was a bit expensive.
The Spa was wonderful, with a huge variety of treatments to choose from. The staff here were very helpful, an gave very good advice on the treatments they thought would be beneficial. Once again, the treatments were a bit expensive, but worth the money.
The amount I have to say about the Indian Resort is endless (positive things of course - the above is only a small amount).
The only negative situation I experienced was that after the first night in our room, we realised that the was a problem with the beds that we had - we had asked for a double bed but got twins instead, and both beds were pushed together, with springs coming out of one of the beds. We told resident keeper the following morning, about this, and although we wanted the beds changed, we did not want to change our room as we were very hapy with it. Straight away, 3 members of staff came straight up to our room to change the bed to a double bed, and they also changed our friends beds too (and they did not have any problems). The staff were vert curtious and efficient!
All in all I have to say that this is a fantastic resort. I do a lot of travelling world-wide, and this is certainly one of the best resorts (although not a 5* luxurious resort, but it is classified as a 4*+ anyway). DO NOT TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION THE NEGATVE REVIEWS - having been to the resort myself I can say that the reviews which degrade the hotel seem to be far from the truth - infact it seems like a dreadful amount of cobblers - perhaps they were over-sold by their agent, and therefore they expected too much!
There are many good reviews on this resort as well, so take some time to look at it and do your own homework, or just find out for yourself by going out there - you won't be dissapointed.
Having said all of this, I for sure am very happy that I stayed at the Indian Resort - my son has booked his wedding for this hotel, for this November, and a group of us (26 people) will all be flying out there to enjoy this resort.

Lovely Hotel .. bit expensive but still we enjoyed it

by TripAdvisor Member goddesshekate

My son and I travelled here in October 2006 and really liked the hotel. I really have no complaints about it at all except for the price of soft drinks and alcohol which could be quite expensive if you are only going there on a bed and breakfast basis. All in all this hotel is definately a 4 star plus. It has four restaurants with a la carte menus and also nouvea cuisine options [in the Italian Restaurant for those who don't like eating! LOL. There are buffet options every night at the hotel with the Indian Restaurant definately being the best!!

A word of advice to save on soft drinks/snacks costs it is best to either hire a car [the hotel can arrange this through a company called White Sands Tours at very reasonable rates or contact them through their website: whitesandtours.com/en/contact/], hire a moped from the hotel itself or hire some bikes and go into the nearest village to stock up on soft drinks, snacks and alcohol rather than paying the hotel costs. When I arrived at the Indian Resort a guy knocked on my door and asked if I wanted soft drinks for my fridge I asked for 4 Cokes or something and paid over $14.00 I think it was!! Le Morne is on a pennisular so is only surrounded by other hotels. The nearest village is about 40 minutes away by cycling. There is a business centre about 15 minutes away from the hotel where you will find a bank, ATM and clothes shops but nowhere to buy drinks/food.

I really cannot think of any problems that we had during our stay here. When we arrived there one of the light bulbs was out in the hotel room. I called reception and about 4 members of staff came to replace the bulb which I thought was quite funny.

The rooms themselves were very pleasant. Brightly yet tastefully decorated with all the facilites you need - mini bar, satellite tv, balcony, sofa chairs. i really like the rooms actually and we had a standard one [i am not certain if there was wi-fi connection in the rooms but the Hotel does have paid internet facilities near the Reception albeit a little pricey].

In closing I would recommend this hotel. I was expecting it to be less than it was given some of the other reviews here but I am a seasoned traveller who tends to be quite discerning when it comes to hotel accommodation. The staff were friendly and accommodating particularly the bar staff [give them a little extra tip as they work really hard for a pittance!!]

In short the only downfall was the expense for alcohol and soft drinks but this is easily resolved if you stock up at the local village. Also beware of making calls from your room. I made a free call to my credit card company on my card's reverse charge telephone number and was still charged about $20 by the hotel for the 5 minute phone call!!!

Make sure you enquire about the various free watersports which the hotel has to offer. My son and I did not realise there were any free sports on offer until the day we left!! Take plenty of EFFECTIVE mosquito repellant as there is something called Chikingunya fever in Mauritius and Reunion Islands. Also buy Aqua shoes if you are wadding in the sea as Mauritius also has stone fish!

A really bad experience

by TripAdvisor Member keru

This resort is a perfect example of a good property with really bad management. The
resort seems to be run by a group of frustrated school teachers. When you checkin
as a group you are made to sit school room style and shown the basics of how to fill
in a hotel registration form. Then you are asked to go thru a presentation by the
hotel staff and a bunch of travel agents.

When you have flown half the night and
have disrupted sleep, this is the last thing you need. Most of the travellers in
our group are people who have travelled the world over. The last thing one would
need is lessons in filling a hotel form.

After checking into the room we would that the room did not include a kettle or
some cups. A request to provide this took around 4 days of begging, pleading,
shouting, threatning before we were given the cups.

The resort has a smell of sewage most of the time. Speaking to the staff revealed
that they have major issues with their sewage systems.

The staff have a "do not care' attitude and the absense of any management around
just adds to this problem.

If you have made the mistake of booking B /B or half board then you are in for a
major shock. A bottle of water is around $4 . I would recomend taking a taxi to
the nearest supermarket and buying your water and beers from there. It will cost
you less than a few beers at the resort prices.

I have stayed at many other resorts in Mauritius and have enjoyed my stay. These
guys give Mauritius a bad name.

Overall excellent but a few little gripes

by TripAdvisor Member johnnyfavorite

Just back from 2 weeks at this hotel.
The food and facilities are excellent - maybe there was the odd bug about the place but you can only expect that in a restaurant on a tropical island with just a palm leaf roof and no walls. No mosquitoes or bitey bugs at all. Sunsets from the public beach just beyond the water sports area with a bottle of wine chilled in the minibar is just what the doctor ordered.

The rooms are large and well ventilated, and efficiently air conditioned. Ours had a leak we think in the shower drain pipework resulting in a puddle outside the door every morning, but this was a minor matter.

The clientele are incredibly ethnically diverse and the catering allows for it - you can have curry for breakfast every morning if you want, or croissant, eggs or omelettes cooked to order with bacon and sausages.

The water sports are fine but if the tide is low then they are not available. Swimming in the sea is fine - no jelly fish and the huge area inside the barrier is mostly waist deep.

The diving centre is fine and costs about £25 per 40 min dive. Its from a boat and the for those spoiled by diving in Egypt the sea life is pretty unexceptional. We were told the diving is better further north. Most of the clientele were French when we were there but the staff have excellent English. Boat cannot go out at low tide or when a swell is running as the dive sites are outside the barrier reef.

We hired bikes a couple of times (€4 ph each) and rode along the coast - very pleasant, and we also hired a scooter for a day (€35) and belted round the S corner of the Island. Good fun. You are supposed to return it with a full tank but as there is no garage locally you cant - the charge for a half tank is trivial anyway so no worries.

Wine is expensive in the hotel so a good scheme is to get your tour rep to drop you at the local supermarket after he has sold you your excursions so you can stock up and then get the bus back to quite near the hotel for buttons cost. No one minds if you stagger in with loads of supermarket bags of goodies. You can get a taxi but thats quite expensive.

We went Emirates from Manchester and had to wait 3 hours on arrival until a room was ready - not really what you want after a 15 hour journey. Similarly on departure checkout is at noon but our pick up for the (1 hour) airport run was not until 7.25pm - a long time without a room although there are male and female transit rooms with showers - or you can have a late checkout for 2000rupees (59 to the pound at M&S!).

So in summary we liked this place despite its little drawbacks because we like doing stuff and not sitting by the pool.

Fantastic!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member bluemegrusty

We visited this resort in Easter 2007 with our three children and had a great time. Do not be put off by other negative comments! The staff were a joy - friendly and extremely helpful.The food was excellent and varied every day, with enough choice for even the fussiest of eaters. Please remember that this is a tropical island and flies/bugs/mossies/roaches live here so if you don't like them holiday somewhere else. Swimming pools are spotless, fantastic snorkelling and a great glass bottom boat for those not so brave! There is enough to do within the resort without leaving but one recommendation I would give to people is to hire a car and drive throughout the island - easy to get around and breathtakingly beautiful.

If travelling with boisterous older children would thoroughly recommend Park Aventure - wooden rope bridges through the gorges near Chamarel (just remember the mossie repellent!)

Indian-resort in "Le Morne"

by sachin369

Does anyone know how is Indian-resort?
I read about beaches in north-west and up north but dont know how it is near indian-resort.I am planning to go there during first week of July, How the weather/water will be?

Please reply if you have ever been there or know abut this place.

Thanks,
Sachin

Mauritius:Indian-resort in Le Morne, Mauritius

by sachin369

Does anyone know how is Indian-resort?

Please reply if you have ever been there or know abut this place.

Thanks,
Sachin

RE: Mauritius:Indian-resort in Le Morne, Mauritius

by sapsiwai

I am a Mauritian and stayed there for 2 nights. Nice hotel and quite new, good rooms and swimming pool. July is one of the coldest months. It gets quite windy at times and is a well known spot for wind surfing during windy days. Its quite far from city centre (more than 25 km) and you will not get nearby restaurants or shopping centre around. Around 4 high standard hotels nearby. Hope this helps.

RE: RE: Mauritius:Indian-resort in Le Morne, Mauritius

by gwenus

Hi Sapsiwai, thanks for the info as I plan to visit the Indian Resort in July, too. When you say it's colder what temp are are talking about? Is it still sun-bathing weather? Kind Regards

RE: RE: Mauritius:Indian-resort in Le Morne, Mauritius

by sapsiwai

Hi gwenus
Cold to Mauritian standards, may be chilly when windy. Should not be less than 20 degrees celcius anyway lol.

Honeymoon in mauritius feb last weekend

by shanks1980

Hi,

I am planning my honeymoon in mauritius during the last weekend - first week of march.
I have the following options to choose from. All these are 6 nights 7days packages.

1) La Plantaion
2)Indian resort & spa
3)Ambre Hotel
4) Gold beach hotel
5) Tarisa hotel

We are looking at a beach resort kinda thing, wherein the rooms will be facing the beach. Also we would like to indulge in water sports.
Please help me choose the best option among the available.

-Shanks

RE: Honeymoon in mauritius feb last weekend

by smann

Hello.

U cant go wrong with either La plantation or Indian Resort.

RE: RE: Honeymoon in mauritius feb last weekend

by shanks1980

Thanks for the info..
Are they both beach resorts? Are they near the centre of mauritius?
How about water sports?

RE: RE: Honeymoon in mauritius feb last weekend

by smann

Yes they are both beach resorts and are not in d centre of mauritius but around the coast. There are lots of water sports available. Dont worry u'll surely have the time of your life....

Comments