Baie Aux Tortues, Pointe Aux Piments, Mauritius

Costs 37% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Oberoi Mauritius

A HAVEN OF BEAUTY & TRANQUILITY

by Siddha3th about THE OBEROI, MAURITIUS

First things first. We never stayed here. With their most basic rooms starting at 700 Euros/ night, you can understand why! But my good friend Simran works with the Hotel, and she was gracious enough to give us a wonderful guided tour. The Oberoi, Mauritius is widely regarded as one of the best hotels in the world. And with good reason. You feel as though you're in your own private Heaven - replete with lush gardens, discreet waterfalls, and isolated villas. The Royal Villas (3500 Euros/ night - ouch!) are something else. But each cottage villa is a special, unique treat unto itself. With its own little pool, ocean-facing view and cozy, classy interiors. The entire Resort seems special, far removed from the towering, gaudy blandness of hotel chains.For the first time in my life, I actually feel like saving up for something! I'm usually a rough-it-out kinda' guy, but there's so magic in this place, that it would be well worth returning to The Oberoi... and this time, to stay :-)

Best place to get married in Mauritius

by unique101 about The Oberoi Hotel

If you are planning on getting married in Mauritius, I would highly recommend having your "dream" wedding at the Oberoi Hotel, yes, it is quite an expensive hotel but you pay for what you get and that is the most wonderful day you could ever imagine! The hotel wedding co-ordinator (Mevin) is the most helpful, easy going wonderful guy you could ever meet!! We were upgraded twice and eventually had our own private villa with private swimming pool. A big plus for having your wedding at the Oberoi is that they only have one wedding a day so you know your day will be "unique" and special for you!!

The Oberoi, Mauritius lies along the Baie aux Tortues ( Turtle Bay). The creative architecture of stone, wood and thatch is a blend of African, Asian and European style (reminds me a lot of balinese wood craft) and reflects the amazing nature of the island itself. Surrounded by an unspoilt natural environment and within a protected marine park, there is so much to see and enjoy around the Oberoi.

All villas have their own private garden with a "dining gazebo" where you can dine privately in the comfort of your own gardens.

All rooms are equipped with Personal bar, free Tea and coffee facilities, Air conditioning with thermostat, electric mosquito plugs, electronic safe and hairdryer and the pièce de résistance being the 4 poster bed!! The bathrooms all have sunken marble baths (absolutely beautiful) overlooking privately walled gardens. Slippers and dressing gowns are provided free of charge and changed daily.

The restaurant at the Oberoi has a roof of palm-thatched timbers and fantastic panoramic views across the Indian Ocean. Dine inside among the pillars, or for a truly romantic evening, dine outside on the beach under the stars!! The menu offers European, Oriental and Creole dishes, reflecting the multicultural flavour of the island and introducing fresh local fruits, vegetables and spices. There are 2 pools at the Oberoi, a children's pool (that has 3 jacuzzi's built in) and an adult pool. Both are stunning (albeit slightly cold - compared to the Ocean). The children's pool has a bar/food area so its easy to have a snack or drink for lunch.

There is also a "spa" at the Oberoi which has steam, sauna, tennis courts, multigym, fitness club and other amenities. The spa is a real haven of peace and tranquility. Worth every penny!

Most watersports at the Oberoi are free, glass bottom boats, water skiing, snorkelling etc (Although I think you have to pay for scuba diving).

There is a travel desk at the main reception area where you can book local tours/taxis or get ideas on where you would like to go and things you would like to see.

paradise!

by TripAdvisor Member thenewmans

My partner and I chose the Oberoi Mauritius as a romantic escape to get wed in secret this May. We booked through Trailfinders wedding department who were fantastic and took care of everything for us. We simply turned up to the most incredible place we've ever seen, had a very special and intimate wedding and were treated like royalty the whole 2 weeks!

They even upgraded us to a villa with a private pool for no extra cost after our wedding day! (they apparently usually upgrade you to the next level accommodation if you have your wedding there, if they have availability, but as they were full when we arrived they upgraded us two levels as soon as they had a villa with pool free). The villas are divine and the sunken marble baths are just amazing. From moving from a luxury villa to villa with pool the villas were pretty much identical. Our second villa did have slightly more room and a better music system etc but there wasn’t too much in it. But the private pool and garden was really special.

The service is fantastic - perhaps a little overwhelming at first but you soon get used to it. My husband is veggie and there wasn't often a vegetarian choice on the menu, however after asking a couple of times they soon automatically came to us each evening to give us a list of possible (always different and very imaginative) meals for the following night! They would literally cook you whatever you asked for. And the quality of food was really, really excellent. I think it's the best we've ever eaten. The half board option was definitely worth it.

This is a really romantic, relaxing, stunning resort. If you are looking for the perfect hideaway and just want to completely unwind then this is the right place. It is absolutely incredible and we couldn't recommend it more.

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member unique101

Our compliments go to the chef, the food was exquisite, we couldn't fault it one bit. The surroundings (we chose our wedding to take place at Paradise Cove - on the beach) was truly amazing!!

The attention to detail knows no bounds, whatever we requested was made available to us, the tranquillity of the hotel is amazing, very quiet, very serene and exceptionally beautiful. The staff are friendly but not overly, saying good morning by name and adding personal touches needed to make your holiday/wedding/honeymoon so special.

I've stayed in many places all over the world and this hotel has to be the best ever hotel, not just for scenery and location but the staff go out of their way to make your holiday/wedding/honeymoon the best you could ever wish for.

The Oberoi, Mauritius lies along the Baie aux Tortues ( Turtle Bay). The creative architecture of stone, wood and thatch is a blend of African, Asian and European style (reminds me a lot of Balinese wood craft) and reflects the amazing nature of the island itself. Surrounded by an unspoilt natural environment and within a protected marine park, there is so much to see and enjoy around the Oberoi.

All villas have their own private garden with a "dining gazebo" where you can dine rivately in the comfort of your own gardens.

All rooms are equipped with Personal bar, free Tea and coffee facilities, Air conditioning with thermostat, electric mosquito plugs, electronic safe and hairdryer and the pièce de résistance being the 4 poster bed!! The bathrooms all have sunken marble baths absolutely beautiful) overlooking privately walled gardens. Slippers and dressing gowns are provided free of charge and changed daily.

Where do I start....

by TripAdvisor Member Horse18

Stayed at the Oberoi, Mauritius for a week in April to relax after a wonderful safari in Botswana. Relax we did not. Travelled with my wife and 12 year old daughter. Car transfer was great, the problems started on arrival at hotel. My daughter was treated with indifference, welcome drinks for my wife and I, but daughter not expected ! Bed provided in room , which was fine, but when anything extra was requested , the waits or failure to provide were incredible. Most staff were very inexperienced. i would add the manager in this category. The chain obviously benefits from employing cheap,unmotivated staff. The only good one were the boys on the beach, who provided towels, drinks etc with great enthusiasm .

The restaurant service was the worst I have experienced at a luxury hotel. The menu changed rarely. The service delay huge. On our last night we ordered our first course, to be told 30 minutes later that one of the dishes was unavailable, so could we reorder. My wife orderdd the curry dish available and after a few mouthfuls bit on a piece of glass !. We were told that this had come from one of the small accompanying glass pots . my wife was asked if she would like to go to hospital. Seeing as she had a cut mouth , I do not think this was entirely neccesary.

24 hours after our return home , my daughter became quite ill. Sickness , fevere etc. I took her to the hospital for tests ,as we had been in a malarial region, i thought it could be that. However, after tests, we were told she had contacted Salmonella food poisoning. This could only have come from the hotel, as she started to feel unwell on the plane home. I recall seeing a few reports of food poisoning at this hotel last year on this website.

I complained to my travel agent, who took up my complaint with the hotel. A letter was received with many denials, and accusations of lies. They did admit the glass incident, but felt that there offer to call an ambulance was sufficient. We were offerd a complimentary 3 night stay at the resort. I will not be taking up their offer, in fact i would probably pay a few thousand pounds NOT to stay at this hotel.

FABULOUS HOTEL, SUPERB SERVICE, UNFORGETTABLE HOLIDAY

My wife and I have just returned from a 9-night holiday at the Oberoi, Mauritius. It was our first visit to the island, and the fact that it won't be our last is entirely due to the fabulous welcome, superb service and unforgettable experience associated with the Oberoi. It begins when you arrive at the hotel (a 50-minute journey from the airport, admittedly), because you are greeted by a small team of elegant reception staff who immediately whisk your luggage away to your room whilst you have some refreshing iced tea. There is none of the bureaucratic rigmarole that you get when you have to queue at 'Reception' in most hotels: the Oberoi has taken all that away, and replaced it with personal attention which delights all but, I suspect, the most jaded of customer palates.
The Oberoi has virtually no special facilities for children, so it has few children and families staying there. This is excellent news, given that the majority of children nowadays are ill-behaved and rude, frequently ignored by their parents (on one of the occasions we had dinner in the Oberoi restaurant the beauty of the evening was undermined by a noisy three-generation family - English, naturally - who were fortunately some distance away from us, though their children considered it necessary to run round our table a couple of times). There are two swimming pools, both near the beach: one is for families, and the other is reserved for adults only, so the latter is peaceful, restful and delightful. The Oberoi's beach boys bring you flannels, iced water and slices of melon every so often, and can be persuaded to supply you with wine and 'beach bites' at lunchtime.
The restaurant is expensive, as I see other guests have pointed out, but let's face it, the food is remarkably good and the ambience is spectacular. There is an excellent wine list, and although the wine prices are boosted by, I'm told, a 100% import duty (except for South African wines), they're not any higher than those typically found in a decent London restaurant. We went out a few times (the Oberoi seemingly has its own fleet of taxies which can cart you anywhere you want, and if it's to a restaurant then they will wait for you), and had some memorable dinners nearby, sometimes at a lower cost (but not always); the food was invariably gorgeous and the attentiveness of the staff just right.
Customer service in some parts of Asia can be too cloying, too 'humble', but in Mauritius it's just right.
The Oberoi rooms are wonderful. We had a Luxury Pavilion [I see that another reviewer disparagingly says this is nothing more than an ordinary room - but be assured, it is not like any ordinary room I've ever had elsewhere]: our own patio with sun loungers, a four-poster bed, plenty of seating space, elegant bathroom with sunken bath, and a separate room for our luggage. Lots of memorable touches, too. For instance, every day we received a collection of fresh fruit, presented on a dish with a piece of paper beneath containing some information about, say, apples, or oranges, or pears, or plums. The rooms are serviced twice a day.
The Oberoi is perfect for discerning guests (like ourselves, naturally!). Whilst we were there they didn't put a foot wrong. I should add that I'm the Chairman of the Institute of Customer Service in the UK, and so am sensitive to service excellence, and service excellence is definitely what we received at the Oberoi - all the time, every day, and from everyone on the staff.
My advice is: don't take any notice of some of the more negative reports elsewhere on this website!
The above report was written by Dr Ted Johns (Odiham, Hampshire, UK)

Forget about all the things that you fear........just be glad to be here!

by TripAdvisor Member Banyan

We visited the Oberoi in May this year and the weather was glorious, with the minimal clouds giving a welcome respite from the glaring sun. (The weather forecast on Mauritian TV regularly predicted rain for the East and South coast!). It takes about 45 minutes to get to the hotel from the airport.

The Oberoi Mauritius is all about retreating from reality, and their 20-acre site is planned to perfection. The hotel is still leagues ahead of the competition. (We visited the Taj and it had burnt grass, musty dark rooms, and no privacy due to poor planting despite now being open 1.5yrs!).

An excellent part of the Oberoi philosophy, which you are gently reminded upon arrival, is that gratuities to individual members of staff are discouraged. They recommend leaving any gratuities in an envelope at reception on departure, and any special recognition of any of the members of the team can be made by mentioning their names on the comment card on departure. All the hotels in the Oberoi chain operate this policy and I believe it works very well as you don’t need to carry small notes around for tipping pool boys, concierge, waiters etc, and I also consider it to be fairer since this way all of the staff that work behind the scenes get an equal share.

ACCOMMODATION
All the rooms have enormous 4 poster beds, which although on the hard side, did not affect our sleep. Previous reports comment on how the pillows are stored during the daytime in an automan at the foot of the bed, but we felt this was another nice touch, and the trunk was always scented with either jasmine or coconut.
We stayed in a villa, so there was a 2m high stone wall surrounding us to ensure privacy, and a raised dining pavilion was perfect for those in-villa breakfasts (at no extra charge). The rooms are very spacious and the high ceilings and light wood furnishings add to the effect. The bathrooms are also great with a massive sunken bath, which comfortably fits two, and a separate shower, both of which have only a glass wall separating them from a secluded garden. We actually found the water pressure in the main shower to be quite weak, so we mainly used the bath.
Our villa was just next to the fish pond (villa 209) and the noise of the frogs at night was phenomenal, and the sounds from the waterfall, at the end of the aqua-duct, were equally spectacular each morning.
It is true that the disadvantage of the villa is that you do not get the sea vistas that the pavilions have, but I would request a specific pavilion if I was opting for these as some are much more private than others.
The grounds are sprayed daily to eradicate mozzies, and we did not get a single bite the whole time we were there (My wife is normally a collector of big red bites!).

LEISURE FACILITIES
The pools are all extremely well designed and the chez lounges are all well spaced out. There are 3 main areas to relax and these all have their pros and cons. We mainly stayed at the adults-only pool (Turtle bay pool) and this was very quiet for those afternoon snoozes; in fact on most occasions we only shared this pool with one or two other couples. There is no sea access at this point due to the rocks. At the lagoon pool area, you have the advantages of being able to go into the sea off the jetty and you get an extra half hour of sunshine in the evening and beautiful sunsets, but there is the drawback of having the lunch restaurant next to you, and having to go through this to reach the toilets. The beach area has the small stones cleared each morning and has direct access to the sea and swimming, but again you have to go up into the bar to use a toilet, and there were no showers in this area to wash off the salt after emerging from the sea. When at the beach or pool areas, bottled water is provided free of charge, and they also bring around slices of melon in the morning (a bit of variety would not go amiss here, for example different fruits or sorbets in a shot glass).
The resort has an amazing water-sports centre, and everything is free including tuition. Everyday I went out on a catamaran and was proficient by the end of the holiday. There is also water-skiing, glass-bottom boat trips and they are soon introducing parasailing. You can also book trips to go and see the dolphins from here.
There is a well-stocked gym next to the spa, however it only has one TV screen so you have to put up with staring at yourself in the mirror. Alternatively there is a nice 6Km run through the sugar cane fields and round past several other hotels.
There is a jewellery shop in the hotel, and the staff there are very helpful. The hotel shop is not overpriced – I went next door to the Victoria Hotel for extra camera film and found it more expensive and the staff surly.
The grounds are stunning, with a plethora of beautiful flowers/plants/trees and they arrange a guided nature tour on Sunday mornings around them. At nighttime look out for the Tenrecs. These are small hedgehog like creatures, which make a very tasty curry (Apparently almost as good as curry number two (monkey curry as they are number two in the evolution chain to us)).
The Spa is run by Banyan Tree and was therefore, as always, superb. Their philosophy of “Sanctuary for the senses” provides an amazing blend of romance, rejuvenation and sensuality. A slight surprise and disappointment was the lack of the foot bath prior to treatments, which have always occurred at any Banyan Tree spa we have visited, and there was no Spa Gallery to purchase those essential oils.

RESTAURANTS / DINING
The food is fantastic. Every meal is of Michelin star standard and prepared sublimely by the Executive Chef, Pierre Burgarde, and his team.
One evening Pierre invited us behind the scenes for a tour of the kitchens at the start of service. It was immediately obvious that his chefs were all skilled and dedicated, and his enthusiasm was contagious. I watched as the fish and meat were cooked quickly so it remained juicy and tender, and as a prerequisite to this it was obvious that all the ingredients were good quality produce from excellently sourced suppliers and are all correctly and hygienically stored. Pierre explained to us his philosophy was to achieve a balance of flavours and textures without any ingredient overpowering any of the others. He told us that they are soon going to trial once weekly classes for guests in the kitchen preparing such dishes as risotto and ravioli and techniques of slow baking fish. This alone would be enough to entice us back to the Oberoi Mauritius. Two dishes stand out and if they are on the menu I recommend you don’t hesitate and just order them – the pea veloute with fava bean and jumbo prawns, and the roasted live langouste with lobster bouillon on a bed of gnocchi and wild mushrooms. Another point of note is that salt and pepper are not routinely left on the table, and with good reason as it’s very rarely needed as the food is already perfectly seasoned (The only exception to this was the seared tuna, which required an extra sprinkling of salt to bring out the full flavour).
Despite all this, we did have a few issues with the front of house staff in the restaurant, and hopefully they will address this as a priority. The waiters had a habit of bringing the main course immediately after the starter was finished (sometimes even before the starter plates were cleared). Admittedly once we complained our main courses were made freshly again, but after this we made sure to ask for a 15minute break between courses and I strongly recommend you do the same.
Lunch has the option of simpler fare and is served at the restaurant next to the lagoon pool. The only disappointment there was the pizza, due to being of the thick-based variety. I strongly recommend the rigatoni pasta with the marinara sauce (comes with lots of large juicy tiger prawns) washed down with a large glass of the Boschendal Blanc de Noir. In the evenings our wine choices were usually a half bottle of Melini Chianti (Rs.600) with starter and a half-bottle of Chablis (Rs.1100) with our main course. They also have a very reasonable bottle of Montepulciano, 2001 at Rs.1800.
Our evenings typically consisted of 2-3hours in the restaurant, and then rounding off the evening in the bar with a first-rate liqueur coffee whilst listening to the Jazz Trio (the vocalist has an exceptional range and brought tears to my wife’s eyes with her rendition of a requested Edith Piaf song). A previous reviewer remarked that they were bored and the resort lacked atmosphere – we felt the exact opposite, and found the ambience to be just perfect!
We got the opportunity to also view the Staff Canteen, where they get a choice of a 3-course dinner, (when we were there this included octopus curry, and coconut ice cream) and there is also an area with a TV, and two computers for them to have free internet access.

In summary we felt that this hotel sets the same very high standards as all the other Oberoi hotels we have visited, and we would – without reservation – wholeheartedly recommend it! If anyone needs any further information then they can e-mail me at:
six.gov@hotmail.co.uk

Another case of foodpoisoning.......

by TripAdvisor Member ScottishJanette

Returned from MAuritius after a short ( thankfully) visit in early December 2005. My husband contracted food poisoning the first dinner we had in the hotel. Red mullet, or crab probably to blame.
Shocked to find staff and management showed no interest in finding out his state of health for three or four days, although they were informed within hours of him being sick.
He was confined to dishes of steamed rice and could not partake of anything else for the whole of our vacation, despite the fact we had already prepaid for HAlf board.
Eventually the manageress let slip that some other guests were also ill- but was very keen for us to believe that they all had a bug.... funny that I didn't catch it also. She was obviously trying to cover her back. The hotel never admitted responsibility.
Now we see from this website that there had been other cases of (More serious) food poisoning a month earlier.
Doctor eventually called and his prescription for food poisoning did work.
We left the hotel extremely disgusted at their lack of concern and attention.
They were very keen for us to settle our extras, including the cost of the bowls of rice and extra bottles of water and fizzy drinks to ward off dehydration.
Eventually after uneasy conversations with management they did offer a token discount for the dinners my husband had missed, which amounted to £200 , token conpared to the £2800 we paid for the accommodation and food(5nights), Never mind the £££ for the business class flights there nad back.
He was not in a fit state to sunbathe, swim, certainly not play tennis, use the watersports facilities, make full use of the spa etc.
Had previously enjoyed a SUPERB holiday at ST. Geran, on the opposite coast whiich in terms of service was truly the best you could get anywhere in the world.
My advice, Dont go near the Oberoi........
The cats at dinner scrounging and begging for food nad the ducks waddling about and messing the footpaths should put anyone off- This is NOT WHAT YOU EXPECT FROM A FIRST CLASS RESORT.
Oberoi sit up and take notice !!!

Beautiful but boring

by TripAdvisor Member Amazonian

From a physical perspective, this is a sumptuous hotel in delightful grounds but being limited to a single restaurant, and so far away from civilisation, is not for everyone. Great as the gourmet food was, it gets a bit much for ten days in a row, and on one night we got a cab into town and bought the ingredients to make a picnic on our terrace.

Made a trip into Grand Baie and had a reasonable Italian meal there one night, but I read somewhere that this place is supposed to be the San Tropez of Mauritius. Clearly written by someone who has never been to San Tropez! Grand Baie is, I'm afraid, pretty grim.

Drinks in the hotel bar were overpriced, which meant that the bar was consistently deserted. Overall, the hotel lacks atmosphere.

Would not return.

Save your money for someplace special..this is not it..

Stayed in the hotel over New Year and early January. The Oberoi is a nice hotel, but it is in no way a great hotel. Why? First, the service is, at best, indifferent. The staff are not well-trained and tend to be inattentive. Waitstaff in the restaurant several times forgot our orders or brought us the wrong dishes. Once, when we ordered lobster and were brought shrimp instead, the waiter unbelievably tried to persuade us that the shrimp was actually lobster! (This is not something you can make up!) In my opinion, the fish rots from the head down and the problem starts with the hotel's GM. We spent 10 days at the hotel, and never once did the GM make an effort to introduce himself and inquire about our stay. In fact, we never once saw him. I asked one of the staff about this and was told that the GM does not really like to talk to guests! Well, that attitude towards service has permeated the ranks rather well.

The rooms: we stayed in a pool villa. The villa was nice, but the furnishings are a bit less than you would expect at EUR 2000/night. Maid service was a big problem--the first day there we left the room and did not put our vauables in the safe. All of the local currency that we had taken from the bank machine at the airport plus our US dollars were gone when we came back to the room. We brought this to the attention of management who "looked into it", to no avail.

The setting: not bad, but far from idyllic. The beach is very narrow and is located not too far from the main container port. Container ships are always visible on the horizon. Swimming is difficult because of reefs and rocks.

Maybe we are spoiled from taking too many holidays in Asia. The Oberoi makes no sense to me. It is far more expensive than high-end resorts in Asia like Aman or GHM properties and offers far, far less. The staff do not have the same positive attitude and energy that always leaves us with fond memories of Asian trips.

I would not recommend the hotel to any discerning guest. If persistent lapses in service don't bother you and you just wish to have tropical weather and a beach setting within the European time zone, then go but do not expect something memorable for your time and money.

Comments