Anse La Raie, Mauritius

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 66% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Paradise Cove Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member LIZGREATBRITAIN

We stayed at Paradise Cove Hotel for 12 nights and returned last Thursday 21st June. The hotel is excellent. An oasis of peace and tranquility. The staff do all that they can to give you a wonderful holiday. They speak French and English fluently. The holiday was to celebrate my 60th birthday, but our travel agent obviously had not listed this as I had no special meal given to me. Two Australians we met were celebrating a wedding anniversary in July and they were given an a la carte meal and a cake in celebration, so make sure your travel agent lists any special celebration you are having. The food is very good but some of the buffet meals are pretty much the same masqueraded as a theme night. Other nights the meal is served at table. Portions are generous and the desserts are to die for! One thing which troubled us was the amount of birds who get in to the opensided restaurant at breakfast. Do not leave your table to go to the buffet without covering up your orange juice,or any bread or pastries as they will be down and nibbling like fury!
Our room was very nice but shady so you had to sit on the little beach or by the pool if you wanted a tan. Everything is scrupulously clean. In the basic rooms, called deluxe, there are no tea and coffee facilities and room service gets quite expensive. We hired a car from Avis, £27 per day and went in to the hypermarket at Grand Baie which is quite close and bought a cheap kettle and adaptor and 2 cups. We also bought bread and cheese to do our own lunch as the menu for lunch was limited at the bar. Beware the use of credit cards. Mauritius is not geared up for their use in many places. Used a Mastercard to pay for the car, but agent returned next day to say WE had to phone Britain for the authorisation code. This would have been very expensive during the day, so we had to go to the HSBC in Grand Baie and withdraw cash. Other guests had had their cards stopped after one usage and had to contact their companies by phone to sort out. Prices are in euros at the hotel, so if you don't want to take thousands of Mauritian rupees, you can use euros. You can obtain a newspaper from your country of origin on the day, but the Daily Telegraph worked out at about £7 per day.
We did not do any tours from the hotel as we had hired a car and went to the south of the island to the coloured earths...a bit of a let down. We went to the colonial house at Eureka where there are lots of antiques on view and not protected by any alarms, which surprised us. Beautiful Hindu temples can be visited. Beware the appalling roads and bad driving as well and bear in mind that pavements are not really a Mauritian thing except in larger places, so you take your life in your hands as you walk down the roads.
If you have any mobility problems then Paradise Cove is not for you....There are 15 steps up to the restaurant and bar area and many steps to the beach and pool area too. The rooms are well spread out also in 2 to 3 storey blocks so you could be unlucky and be a good 5 mins walk to the restaurant.
Umbrellas are provided in each room and we had a lot of rain for our stay, which is unusual in June they said.
Bear in mind also that the hotel is a good hour in the car from the airport. Early flights back to GB mean leaving the hotel at 5.45am and only a scanty breakfast is served.
Customs at the airport are tight. We had our bags searched for drugs on entering the country which made us smile as we are not young and did not think that we looked like drug smugglers. My bag was also searched on the way home as my hair styler gave them cause for concern, but better safe than sorry.
All told we had an excellent holiday to remember and cannot praise the staff enough. We mixed well with the young people, some of whom got married while we were there and they did not seem to resent the golden oldies being there too.

Romantic Hideaway

by amapola66 about Le Paradise Cove & Spa

I was very lucky to spend six days at the Paradise Cove April.

Paradise Cove Hotel & Spa which pitches itself as a 'boutique hotel' (67 Rooms) is situated on the northern shores of Mauritius, at Anse la Raie. Pros :
Beautiful gardens with wonderful birdlife.
Colourful silk, natural and wood decor and bowls of pretty flowers.
Catamaran Cruise (great, even if overcharged!) - Boat guys nice.
Staff in the spa sweet.
The Handome Man enjoyed his dive.
Great climate.
On a beautiful island!

Cons:
Not a real beach, rather more a lagoon and a rocky shoreline.
Restaurants rather 'iffy' - we ate out twice for dinner during our 6 days.
Dinner served very early (usually in a VERY dark setting, so you couldn't see your food) and if you came later rather than earlier, you felt like you were being 'told off' !
Staff rather over intrusive and trying to sell you things.
Overcharged for a variety of things to the point of complaint.
Confusing pricing re full board/all in etc
Full board does not include drinks A cup of coffee or a beer at extortionate prices if you don't go all included.
Too many 'managers'.

Don't hesitate, book the Paradise Cove

by TripAdvisor Member alisonholder

We stayed here for a week before moving on to the Taj Exotica and wished we had stayed here the whole time. I had broken my foot and was on crutches and the staff could not do enough for me. I was not allowed to hold my own plate at the buffet or do anything for myself. The food and service were great and when I lost my glasses they searched everwhere for me and then gave me a letter for the insurance company.

There are lots of individual places to lie in the sun with a couple of loungers a table and an umbrella and once they saw where we wanted to be they prepared it for us each day. There is also a beach area where you can sit near others if you prefer.

Every evening there is something to entertain you if you wish but there are also quiet places if you do not want to participate. There were themed evenings and maybe they tried too hard with the Indian evening as the curries were very mild! The catering Manager said they had done it especially as the Europeans don't like spicy food. There was always a huge choice of menu at every meal and there was nothing we didn't enjoy.

There are various watersports but we only went on the catamaran cruise, which we recommend. The staff arranged various other trips for us and were most helpful.

We had booked the all inclusive but occassionally we asked for something which was not included so we expected a significant extra bill at the end of the week but is was only 22€ and that included postage for our postcards!

The warmth of the staff and their determination to ensure the continued success of this lovely hotel are beyond words. If you want to be well looked after in a quiet part of the island, book here.

An example of how a hotel should be!

by TripAdvisor Member SimonLichfield

We visited the Paradise Cove hotel in February 2007. From the moment we arrived we were overwhelmed with the friendliness of all the staff. It was instant relaxation.

The room was really nice. Stylish, comfortable and with a lovely view. The mini bar was well stocked and the bathroom spacious and clean.

The grounds of the hotel are lovely with the gardens very well cared for. The beach, although small was very well cared for being swept at least twice a day. The hotel is small which means there's plenty of space for all the guests.

The quality and choice of food was really good. Breakfast is European buffet style with plenty of choice. Lunch is varied my favourite being the barbecued king prawns, yummy! Dinner was either buffet style or a la carte depending on the day. Both were great with plenty of choice.

We were on 'all inclusive' which I highly recommend. The bar was great. Particulary the extensive cocktail selection and the local rum.

I will have two vivid memories of the Paradise Cove. One is of the unfortunate cyclone which hit during the first week. The hotel dealt with this as best they could and we were well looked after.
The second is of the staff. If they ever read this I would like to express my tahnks to each any every one. I have never been to another hotel where the staff are so friendly, going out of their way to make you feel welcome. Always smiling. Nothing too much trouble. They truly are ag reat team of lovely people.

Go to paradise cove if want somewhere quiet, relaxing, friendly and where you don't have to lift a finger.

Oh, and drinks served to you on the beach was fantastic!

Great hotel and staff

by TripAdvisor Member kiwi621

Have just returned from 2 weeks at the Paradise Cove, the management and staff were very friendly and could not do enough for us.

The food was very good we particularly liked lunch at the Beach Bar the bbq fish was very fresh. Also a nice touch was having home made ice cream delivered to your sun bed around 3pm each day.

This hotel doesn't have a long sandy beach but has a man made cove with sand and lovely private areas around the rocks that you can relax in.

I would certainly advise anyone thinking of visiting to go, pay for all inclusive and enjoy the drinks and food.

Buyer beware

by TripAdvisor Member LondonReviewer007

Firstly, this is not a five star hotel. Fabulous it may, but five star it aint! Put bluntly, if you have a stressful job and simply want to get away from it all (literally) and want to be made to feel like somone famous then this is the place for you. I have been to magnificant hotels (including five star Maldives accommodation) and I can honestly say that the service at Paradise Cove is second to none. It amazed me how at all times ALL staff remain upbeat and polite. Often you go on holiday and staff say 'don't worry, anything you ike...' All too often, that sentiment is over used. At Paradise Cove, it is not. My Partner is a vegetarian. Although one of my concerns about the place relates to the set menu evenings which dont really cater for 'veggies,' the staff were keen to respond to specific requests for a veggie option. A word of warning, go all inclusive. We did, and at the end of the 9 days, had virtually nothing to pay. The rooms are clean and are serviced twice a day. Now for the down side. personally, when I go on holiday, I like to spend a lot of time on a nice beach. Don't be fooled (as I was) by thinking that Paradise Cove has a nice beach. It does not. When I was in the Maldives, I loved taking my morning and sunset walks along the beach and around the Island. The pictures in our tour operators brochure were misleading. Had I of read reviews before I booked, I would not have booked. The 'beach' is man made. The view from the very small cove is of a lagoon whose waters are far from clear. In 9 days, I only saw about 2 people brave enough to take a dip. If you are considering a honeymoon during which you can spend time romantically walking along a beautiful beach hand in hand (that wont last long) then dont chose Paradise Cove. Furthermore, as there is no decent beach adjoining the coastline, the only real swimming opportunities lie in the small swimming pool. My advice, go the Maldives. Frankly, I could have spent half as much money getting the same treatment (albeit first class) in similar surroundings at a resort in Europe. I wish I had beacuse 11 hours sitting on a plane is very very difficult!! Listen, I am just whinging. It is indeed a lovely place, but I just couldn't help coming away feeling that I'd been holiday to a place that had misrepresented itself as Maurituis. Nevermind. Life is about learning from mistakes.....even if they are expensive ones.

Beautiful setting with outstanding service

by TripAdvisor Member analg

I can only re-iterate the previous reviews. Everything about Paradise Cove is special - staff, acommodation, setting, amenities, food. They really look after you, and it was good to see the management "on the floor" meeting and greeting the guests. The lagoon is lovely to swim in, as is the infinity pool. There is no beach but a small landscaped headland, with sunloungers and a restaurant for lunch. The only gripe, as mentioned before is the mini-bar prices - outrageous! We took the free bicycles down to Perebere daily for delicious lunches by a picturesque sandy beach, and picked up supplies while we were there!! Expensive is fine for quality, but 3Euros for a can of cola/bottle of water is a bit rude, when they are 30cents around the corner. Nonetheless, highly recommended.

The perfect honeymoon hideaway!

by TripAdvisor Member littlenel

After booking 12 nights stay at paradise cove for our second honeymoon, 20th wedding anniversary , i visited this site to check out the hotel and was horrified to see some of the reviews posted by people who had visited paradise cove, so went back to the travel agent and changed booking to 5 day safari in kenya first, well we need not have worried, this hotel was just what we both needed after experiencing the best and the worst that kenya had to offer. Mauritius is amazing, my memories of this place will alway be the the happy smiling faces, great food, good weather, good service, and beautiful tropical flowers everywhere! The staff at this hotel can't do enough for you and are very keen to see you go away happy, we had a noisy aircon unit over the room we were in, and after talking to the guest relations lady, she managed to upgrade us to a junior suite, we had paid extra for the pondichery room, and to be honest i was a little dissapointed by the decor which was slightly dated, but everything was clean, housekeeping was good, and we both loved little touches like flowers decorations in bathroom, special chefs cookies and sparkling wine when we arrived. Also I would advise anyone due to visit this hotel, to upgrade to all inclusive as soon as you arrive, we found we had covered the £27.00/ day cost to upgrade by lunch everyday, and you wouldn't want to miss out on the teatime pancakes on the beach at 4 each day. I loved having the opportunity to dress in a saree on the indian night and it was great to experience the different foods. Mauritius is a beautiful place, cant wait to visit again. Thank goodness we discovered the spa, and spa pool, we had 'bliss for 2 ' treatment quite expensive, but a worthwhile once in a lifetime experience and then we went for secret dip in the spa pool everyday. Whatever problems this hotel may have had in the past, are being addressed, I would recommend it to any couple who want to spend time together in paradise.

Perfect Honeymoon!

by TripAdvisor Member vanessadb

We spent 7 nights at the Paradise Cove Hotel the first week of June. It was our honeymoon and this hotel ended up being exactly what we were looking for. It is small (60 rooms), romantic, exclusive, charming, and very tastefully decorated. We booked it through a travel agency as a honeymoon special, meaning we got a 100% reduction for the bride's hotel stay, paid only for the full pension, and received a little present each and every day. Also we booked "All inclusive" and we can only recommend it, as the prices for drinks and food are according to an exclusive hotel, quite expensive. Count between 9 and 12€ per cocktail/long drink, 50€ for lunch for 2 (2 main dishes, 2 drinks, 1 dessert), 35€ for a decent bottle of wine, 3.50€ for two pancakes served on the beach every day at 4pm, for example.

Beware, it has no beach! It has a charming little cove with sand to sunbath, and delightful lonely sunbathing spots near the Beach Restaurant, with ladders to go swimming in the ocean. You obviously also have the wonderful pool to swim in, but if you absolutely want a long beach right in front of your hotel, choose another hotel.

The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, although a bit too present/pushy at times during the meals, as they try too hard to please you.

The food is in general good. The breakfast is great, with a huge variety of fruits, cereals, eggs, breads, etc. The lunch is either served at the Cozy Bar or the Beach Bar, which we personally preferred because of the wonderful setting and dishes offered. The dinner is either a buffet or a menu around a theme: Arabian, Mauritian, Mediterranean (actually Italian), Marrocan, Indian, Seafood evenings. The food served at dinner is good but generally mild in taste, as if they were scared to make it too spicy/tastefully strong for the tourists. It is good, but far from excellent. Some dinners are followed by live music sometimes with dances, such as the Indian night, when they also lend a sari to the men and women guests. Ladies, do get one for the night, you'll feel amazing! Mauritian night on the other hand starts on the beach before dinner with delicious Mauritian appetizers and cocktails, as well as a nice show with dances and music. Those were our two favourite nights.

A big plus are the activities offered for free such as tennis, fitness studio, aquagym, pedalboat, windsurfing, kayak, waterski, etc. We did the catamaran excursion as it was offered in our honeymoon special and highly recommend it! They take you to a deserted postcard-like island, with white sandy beaches, turquese transparent waters, and no one in site, except a few other boats. You have time to snorkel, swim, etc. and they also serve you a wonderful lunch on site.

The rooms are extremely nice and clean. We ended up booking a normal standard room instead of a Pondichery and were very pleased with it, although it was on the ground floor and if you have loud neighbors on top of you you will hear them (insolation is pretty bad.) The bathroom is cleaned twice a day, the towels changed twice a day. You get fresh flower decorations every day in your room, as well as in the hotel gardens in big bowls of water. Other wonderful details are the big beds spreaded around the property/gardens.

We had three days of rain and did a few excursions to Cap Malheureux, Grand Baie, Port Louis, Terres de Couleurs, the beaches in the South. Except for the two last ones, we don't recommend any of them. If you want to buy a few souvenirs and postcards take the bus to Grand Baie (16 roupis per person) and buy a few things at the Bazar. Other than that, you really do not need to leave the hotel.

Another big plus was for us the fact that the hotel is mostly visited by honeymooners from all over the world. We met great people during our stay and will stay in touch with our new friends =)

So Civilised!

by TripAdvisor Member James81

My wife and I stayed here for 8 nights on our honeymoon.

I have stayed in a few five star places in my time but this was the best holiday experience I have ever had.

The resort itself is very nice and the room was spacious and well appointed. The resort doesn’t have a traditional “white sandy” type beach. The water laps onto a rocky headland which gives it an almost Mediterranean feel. There are heaps of little private beaches cut out of the rocks and the resorts private lagoon gives you your fix of sand.

However the thing that set the experience apart for me was the staff. I have never come across a group of employees so committed to making you feel welcome and at home. Almost every request we made was no problem at all and they all made a real effort to remember who you were, where you were from and what you liked to drink. I hope the staff are paid well because they are what sets the place apart.

The food was great, lots of choice and the themed nights are good. My one tip would be to upgrade to all inclusive/full board. The drinks and food are pretty pricey and by going all inclusive you don’t have to worry about it and can just kick back and enjoy the cocktails by the lagoon.

Paradise Cove LagoonParadise Cove Lagoon

Pretty bowls of flowers at the Paradise CovePretty bowls of flowers at the Paradise Cove

Paradise Cove - where you can get marriedParadise Cove - where you can get married

Bazar Grand BaieBazar Grand Baie

by dunder101

Hi there - just found this website today and it's really good!

We are coming to Mauritius in the middle of November for 15 nights for our honeymoon and we are really looking forward to it.

We will be staying at the Paradise Cove Hotel. We'd be interested in hearing people's experiences who have stayed there or know anything about it. Also, what is nearby? Are Grand Baie and Cap Malheuerux within wlaking distance for example? What would be the good trips to go on, places to eat/drink outside the hotel, etc. Anything would be useful?

Thanks,
D.

Re: Paradise Cove Hotel

by annerose

you went 20 minutes to Cap Malheureux

Grand Baie is too far away

the hotel is beautifull, a ggod choice!!!

a nice excursion is swimming with the dolphins

go to the south west, like Trou aux Cerfs, Grand bassin,
Chamarel, Morne Brabant
Vanille Crocodile Park , Pamplemousses garden

with kindly regards annerose

Re: Re: Paradise Cove Hotel

by cleocat

Go to Grand Baie for a day or so. You can get a daytrip from there on a boat to a one of the islands.
We loved it. You go out in the morning and come back late afternoon.

On Beranaise (not the spelling but something like that)
is nothing except the beautiful unspoilt island. The captain provides you with a nice lunch of fish and their great baugettes, salad and the famous jungle juice.

Enjoy it.

Re: Paradise Cove Hotel

by sapsiwai

Cap Malheureux and Grand Baie are NOT within walking distance unless you really like to walk. You can take a bus to go and from there. Convenient and cheaper instead of taxis.

? Paradise Cove

by Tanyaste

We will be staying in Paradise Cove for 6 nights following 2 weeks touring South Africa.

I have just read some pretty damming reports on the Trip Advisor web page about this hotels IE Bad Food, Dirty , poor Service. I am a little worried, too late to change booking now, and this Hotel is supposed to be a 5 star with excellent facilities.

Anyone else heard good or bad about it

Thanks

TAnya

RE: ? Paradise Cove

by Partyhat

Paradise Cove is not a five star Hotel.
I have never been there so I can only relate what I have heard from other people. The Hotel has a magnificient view on Coin De Mire Island and a very nice beach. They used to refer to it as a 3 stars hotel with a five stars service. Unfortunately I have heard that the service is not as good as it was before. I hope I am wrong about it.
You might be interested in this small right priced hotel. http://www.chezvaco.com/index-ang.htm

Cheers

Partyhat

RE: RE: ? Paradise Cove

by cleocat

Hi

The hotels in Mauririus aren't exactly cheap. If there are so many bad reviews about a place something has to be wrong. Some people are just plain difficult so if 1 or 2 are negative I wouldn't be too concerned. But there is a saying that goes something like If there is smoke there must be a fire somewhere.

Maybe you should share your concerns with the hotel. There must be stiff competition with other hotels. I don't think any hotel can afford to have this kind of bad advertising. They might not even be aware of these complaints.

We have stayed in numerous hotels in many places and I've found that if you are unhappy about something open your mouth. We stayed in the Holiday Inn in Maputo last year. Very nice hotel but not without problems. Every time I complained about something it was seen to immediately.

I think what I'm trying to say is sort this out before you go. At least if you raise these complaints with them they will know you are coming and I'm sure they will make sure you are satisfied.

That is what I would do. I hope you enjoy Mauritius. IT is such a beautiful place.

Golf

by Tanyaste

Hi

Is thier a golf course in the north near Ainse le Raie where we are staying (Paradise Cove Hotel). If so has anyone got the web address or details. If nt, where is the nearest course.

MAny thanks

Tanya

RE: Golf

by annerose

Hi

there is one in Trou aux Biches, opposite of the hotel with the same name

here is a link