Villa Azzurra

Avenue Mirabelle, 99000
Villa Azzurra
Hotels.com Expedia.com Tingo.com

More about Mauritius

mangroves mauritius southmangroves mauritius south

Rooms ovelook the beachRooms ovelook the beach

night view of caudon areanight view of caudon area

Ile aux Cerfs, east MauritiusIle aux Cerfs, east Mauritius

Indian Ocean islands

by annwag

Hi VT's
On my way through Indian Ocean islands is Mauritius and Madagaskar.I wish to have the trip around Mauritius by car; can someone recommend decent driver/car near Saint Giles?
I interesting how much local money (minimum) I need per day for lunches, drinks, small"touristic" shopping on Madagaskar/Mauritius/Sechelles?
I plan change my money at airports but I have no idea HOW MUCH.
My vallet isn't excesively fatty.
thanks
Anna

by TexasDave

We rented our own car at the airport and spent a week in Mauritius. Driving around is very easy, very little traffic- except for the capital, Port Louis, and even there it wasn't excessive- just a lot of one-way streets.

The places, as tourists, ate in in general charged about $US 10-15 dollars per meal. You might get by cheaper than that by eating at place mostly frequented by locals, but not by much.

by mikelisaanna

We rented a car and drove ourselves around the island. Just don't drive at night, because the maps and signs aren't great. If you avoid the capital and the interior towns (Quatre-BOurnes and Curepipe), the rest of the island is pretty easy to drive around.

If you are planning to tour Indian Ocean Islands, try to go to Reunion, which is far more beautiful and spectaular than Mauritius.

by annwag

Thanks all.
To mikelsaanna - certainly I'll visit Reunion, fortunately I have no problem with Reunion.

Travel Tips for Mauritius

Country of Mixed Cultures

by Kisu

I loved this country as I must say I've loved all the places where I've been to. But Mauritians are happy, sincere and kind people.
I visited Mauritius in Autumn which is best time at year if you want to relax. It's the beginning of high season and you can see it when most of the restaurants are almost empty at dinner time and at daytime you find beaches just for you two. Also weather isn't too hot.

Flora of Mauritius

by victorwkf

There are many colourful plants in Mauritius, including the flambouyant trees which bloom with bright red flowers in summer (Dec to Jan) as well as the Bird of Paradise trees. You can easily see these flora when you are in Mauritius.

Hindu wedding

by Kisu

I miss the way of life and the day when we sort of got lost and found ourselves welcomed to a hindu weddings.Family took us as relatives and we had to join the party with hundreds of people and we only wore a beachwear...embarrasing 'cause we knew how religious those people were.but we ate lunch and finally had fun after realized that everyone understood english.

Colonial past of Mauritius

by victorwkf

The Dutch were the first significant people to come, naming the place "Mauritius" after one of their royal princes. Then came the French which had strong influence on the island followed by the British which defeated the French around 1810. Eventually, Mauritius became independent and recently, a republic country.

Fishing

by victorwkf

Besides tourism, producing sugar, textile industry etc, part of Mauritius economy comes from fishing in the surrounding waters with plenty of marine wildlife. I hope that these fishing activities are controlled so as to preserve the ecosystem.

Comments